• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

giri

roosters93 said:
Handball was fun but the best game at school was red-ass. (not as suss as it sounds)
I'm guessing it's not a widespread game though.
.............................................................................. Was this an all boys school? cause..................................................................................................

giri said:
.............................................................................. Was this an all boys school? cause..................................................................................................

Nah mate. Co-ed selective high school lol
Though only boys played this game. I think a girl or two joined us a couple of times but it was rare because it can hurt.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Danoss said:
While the topic of handball is still sort of around.

OtTc9.jpg

The rage after someone was a victim of this shot was hilarious.

Growing up at school we didn't actually have the rule that the player in the bottom right square would be out for that shot, but I played some recently and it was out, I was majorly shocked.

also for those in Adelaide
http://format.net.au/ <-- these guys in the CBD tend to have events every now and again, and especially during their festival week they have handball going on outside in the alley way.

Always awesome

Gazunta said:
Handball competition at the next BrisGAF meetup.
It.is.on.
Although i'm decidedly fatter and much more out of practice than I was a school.

And are people saying handball against a wall is downball? What? Where are you people from? That shit is wallball.

Handball - painted squares on the grounds
Wallball - pretty much squash with your hands.

And tennis ball for life son.

markot

Banned
Did you guys have those roll shots? Like where the ball rolls instead of bouncing. Now that was painful when you scraped the cement >.<

It was pretty cheap, but legal!

OMG! four square!!! God, I had so much fun playing that, even though I was terrible.

We had a sort of chain at our school, where we'd start a new game, it would go out of fashion or get banned, then we'd start another game.

It (possibly) went:

skipping (went out of fashion) > Yoyo's (went out of fashion) > Pokemans (banned because of people getting upset about unfair trades) > Bullrush (banned) > cops and robbers (banned) > build ups (banned) > hand ball - which lead into foursquare (this was grade 6 so it didn't go out of fashion).

Danoss

roosters93 said:
Nah mate. Co-ed selective high school lol
Though only boys played this game. I think a girl or two joined us a couple of times but it was rare because it can hurt.
Hrmm, co-ed selective high school in Sydney? Which one? There certainly isn't many. I went to one also.

Our version of "fumbles", was called simply, "wall ball" (though in primary school, wall ball was handball against a wall). Throw the ball against a wall. If someone catches it on the full, run to the wall and touch it before they hit you with the ball. If you attempt a catch and drop it, again, run to the wall before they hit you.

Two hits had names, "head-shot", pretty self explanatory. The other was "ring stinger", which is easy enough to guess.

Was this "red-arse"?

HolyCheck said:
Growing up at school we didn't actually have the rule that the player in the bottom right square would be out for that shot, but I played some recently and it was out, I was majorly shocked.
This, I cannot fathom. Two different primary schools I went to had different rules on the number of bounces (one allowed only 1, the other was unlimited as long as they were in your own square) and both ruled that shot as out.

hamchan

Handball is an amazing game. Waiting for the ball to get super low and then doing a super fast shot that is really hard to return is a great feeling. Then when that happens to you and you just stick out your foot a bit to reflect the shot back with more speed, feels great too.

Deeku

Danoss said:
This, I cannot fathom. Two different primary schools I went to had different rules on the number of bounces (one allowed only 1, the other was unlimited as long as they were in your own square) and both ruled that shot as out.
Unlimited bounces????

Madness!! Always been one bounce.

Danoss

commanderdeek said:
Unlimited bounces????

Madness!! Always been one bounce.
Yes indeed. It was the only school I have ever been to that allowed it. The number of low powershot rallies there was quite high and rather incredible. There were quite a few of us that were very good at them.

Deeku

shanshan310 said:
Some of my friends collected them, but since they came in chip packets (right?) I never got any :( My mum was (is) a health food nazi.
I think that was later on. You had to buy earlier pogs like how you bought Magic/Pokemon cards. Each pack had a slammer and sometimes the cool holographic or glow in the dark pog!

Yeah tazos. Ban's correct!

shanshan310 said:
Some of my friends collected them, but since they came in chip packets (right?) I never got any :( My mum was (is) a health food nazi.
Tazos were the chip packet ones, cheap knock offs really. I just found my old collection of Pogs the other day, only had a few but I might take a photo of them later!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It was four square for me and 1 bounce during primary school. Good old chocolate frog school, wonder how it is after all these years.

Gazunta

I ran a marble bank. For example I traded two "coke" marbles for one "stoner" marble, and two "stoners" for one "rock" marble. There was a whole heirachy of marble worth that fluctuated between different areas of the school yard and times of day.

I also loaned marbles and collected interest (payable in marbles) so you had better play well with the marbles I loaned you otherwise I cut your supply off real quick.

I had no interest in playing marbles. I just liked buying lots of them and playing with the economy.

Gazunta said:
I ran a marble bank. For example I traded two "coke" marbles for one "stoner" marble, and two "stoners" for one "rock" marble. There was a whole heirachy of marble worth that fluctuated between different areas of the play area.

I also loaned marbles and collected interest (payable in marbles) so you had better play well with the marbles I loaned you otherwise I cut your supply off real quick.

I had no interest in playing marbles. I just liked buying lots of them.
Were you one of those kids who brought in ball bearings and called them steelies? I lost a sweet stonker galaxy because of a steelie ;_;

Deeku

No wait, the glow in the dark ones were called Glo-Caps. They were amazing because you'd sometimes get rare ones that were red glow in the dark!!

Gazunta said:
I ran a marble bank. For example I traded two coke marbles for one stoner, and two stoners for one rock. There was a whole heirachy of marble worth that fluctuated between different areas of the play area.

I had no interest in playing marbles. I just liked buying lots of them.

We had gumnuts. You could trade gumnuts at this makeshift "bank" someone had set up for various logs to make bases with. There were lots of little cubby house type things around the back of the school, since the teachers for some reason didn't patrol that far.

Kritz

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWs0mRjurzk

Skyrim Video Review.

Not sure if this is where I want the videos to go stylistically. Like, dumb recording of not really playing the game properly + relatively short but mostly incoherent narration. It's also not really as close to Kritz.net's review style as it should be I guess.

Gazunta

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Were you one of those kids who brought in ball bearings and called them steelies? I lost a sweet stonker galaxy because of a steelie ;_;
What people did with items purchased from the Gazunta Marble Bank Inc. was not my responsibility!

But yes, I did well out of those :)

Fuckers hurt when they were thrown though

It occurs to me that the marble size hierarchy I learnt at school may not have been universal:

Tiny marbles - Minis
Standard-sized marbles - Normals
Large marbles - Stonkers
Big marbles - Jumbos

Anyone had a different system at their school?

commanderdeek said:
No wait, the glow in the dark ones were called Glo-Caps. They were amazing because you'd sometimes get rare ones that were red glow in the dark!!
I just realized that, mine are all Simpsons glo-caps! I have heaps of red ones too!

I'll trade you any two of my glo-caps for a chocolate moove (red ones excluded)

Choc

Banned
guys seriously fumbles? you had to peg a tenno at the wall and if you fumbled it on return, stand on the wall until someone managed to hit you as they pegged the ball

Rezbit

I played some handball on duty when I was teaching, thinking here we go I was awesome at this, I could kick these young whelps arses. But no, couldn't get low enough and these year 5 kids thundered low shots past me :|

Danoss said:
Hrmm, co-ed selective high school in Sydney? Which one? There certainly isn't many. I went to one also.

Our version of "fumbles", was called simply, "wall ball" (though in primary school, wall ball was handball against a wall). Throw the ball against a wall. If someone catches it on the full, run to the wall and touch it before they hit you with the ball. If you attempt a catch and drop it, again, run to the wall before they hit you.

Two hits had names, "head-shot", pretty self explanatory. The other was "ring stinger", which is easy enough to guess.

Was this "red-arse"?

Central Coast actually. Gosford High School.

Nah red arse was a football game. We had these old portable soccer goals (in between the size of normal goals and futsal goals) at our school so we set one up near the oval.

You had a goalie (I think to start it's a volunteer) and then everyone else teams up trying to score goals but they can only be volleys or headers. If you score a goal after the ball has bounced twice or more, kick the ball past the goals or the goalie catches the ball on the full and probably some other things I can't remember, then you must go in goals.

After 5 goals have been scored (in total so not necessarily all scored against the current goalie) the scorers take penalty shots.

Those who score penalties, get to take another kick further up and the goalie turns around and gets kicked with the ball. It's probably <5m away from the goalie. Anywhere on the body is fair game except the head which in that case the goalie gets to have a turn on you.

So if the goalie was really shit and let in all 5 penalties they would get 5 beatings lol

Deeku

BanShunsaku said:
I just realized that, mine are all Simpsons glo-caps! I have heaps of red ones too!

I'll trade you any two of my glo-caps for a chocolate moove (red ones excluded)
No red no deal!

We didn't have moove at school, we had some funky dinosaur milk.

Also while we're on this nostalgia kick, does anyone remember collecting little folding comics? I think it came attached to milk cartons? Or maybe it was Rice Bubbles. Anyway, they were awesome!

And who the hell calls a tennis ball a tenno?! lol

tithin

Neo Member
Alf's back, in pog form.

In all seriousness though we didn't have this weird as hell handball game that you aussies had in scotland, we pretty much played a ton of pogs and marbles. I remember this one christmas the "pog maker" came out and pretty much overnight pogs became worthless because everyone and their dog were making these shitty pogs, made from toilet paper and spit.

Fusebox

Banned
FallbackPants said:
You sir, have never tried Dairy Farmers chocolate milk

I haven't, but it'd wanna be seriously fucking good to beat Oak chocolate milk. Oak makes Moove taste like water.

midonnay said:
SS gamespot 7.5 o_O

its like a war between 10s and 8s
Whenever I read a phrase to the effect of "Zelda has grown stale and this game doesn't change up the formula enough" I read "They didn't implement the very specific changes I wanted in my grimdark online co-op voice-acted fantasy version of this game". A game series has base mechanics and each new entry tries to remix those basic things in a different way. For whatever reason, perhaps because of its long history and great pedigree, the Zelda series gets singled out for this particular criticism.

I don't think it's really all that useful for a review to rely so heavily on prior knowledge of a game's predecessors, as fans of the series will probably buy it anyway, whereas a review might sway new players. A game ought to be reviewed for what it is rather than what you might like it to be.

Mind you, difficult to use or "broken" controls can turn a 10/10 game into a 7/10 game easily. I hated the controls in SotC and Uncharted, to the point where playing wasn't fun. Maybe the guy just didn't click with the controls or whatever.

Top Bottom