• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Maybe for Jintor and Eatchildren

Q: What can you tell a young man looking for motivation in life itself?

A: The problem, often not discovered until late in life, is that when you look for things in life like love, meaning, motivation, it implies they are sitting behind a tree or under a rock. The most successful people in life recognize, that in life they create their own love, they manufacture their own meaning, they generate their own motivation.
For me, I am driven by two main philosophies, know more today about the world than I knew yesterday. And lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.

Neil deGrasse Tyson. Over on his new reddit ama.

I love that man.

To all the game of thrones fans is anyone picking up / ordering it online. Where's the best place to get it. I saw best buys in US had some cool stuff with the limited edition but obviously won't send it here and I don't use a US forwarding service.

I'm hoping that people will have to pull out and will chuck them up on Facebook.
Yup, got a few mates who grabbed tickets so I let them know that I would be interested if tickets came up at the end of the year and I am free.

they said they want shit to be intimate or something.

when youre as big as radiohead you kinda cant do that unless you wanna play 100x more shows than one stadium.

say theres 1000 spots there, 400,000 in a stadium, youd have to play 400 shows to accomodate.
Which means they don't care about their fans, they care about the show itself. Nothing wrong with that though, they aren't obligated to play to everyone.
Just wish more bands could play more shows in a shorter timespan like some bands I know.

Not to mention the fact they went with Ticketmaster/Ticketek who really do fuck consumers and bands in the arse. It is the lazy route to touring. If they went out of their way to research locations and the logistics they could do their own tour and charge half the price and play twice as many shows, meaning more people can come and more people would be more willing to spend more money at the bar and the merch stands.

The logistics of touring bands is an obsession of mine.

A guy from work, 19 years old, killed himself last night because his girlfriend left him and the next day moved in with another man.

:(
That sucks. At that age it is hard not to get wrapped up in your own little soap opera in your head without the people around you beating that kind of thinking out of you. If he grit his teeth and got through it he would have been laughing at how stupid he was being within a year or so. This is why people need to reach out for support more often, I never did as much as I should have when I was younger.

A: The problem, often not discovered until late in life, is that when you look for things in life like love, meaning, motivation, it implies they are sitting behind a tree or under a rock. The most successful people in life recognize, that in life they create their own love, they manufacture their own meaning, they generate their own motivation.
For me, I am driven by two main philosophies, know more today about the world than I knew yesterday. And lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.

I love that man.
Fuck yes. That is how I look at the purpose of my life. Improve myself day to day so maybe at some point I will have all the knowledge in the world so that I can always make the right decision.
Everybody wants to help people, so much fucked shit goes on that you can't help but want to improve someone's life, even if that is just from making them laugh every day or listen to them without judging.

jambo

To all the game of thrones fans is anyone picking up / ordering it online. Where's the best place to get it. I saw best buys in US had some cool stuff with the limited edition but obviously won't send it here and I don't use a US forwarding service.

If you're going to buy Blu-rays online, you'd better hope they're not region encoded. If they are, get them from European or Australian stores.

If you grab it from Amazon.co.uk the Blu-ray will cost £30.25, or $44.79, including shipping.

If you're going to buy Blu-rays online, you'd better hope they're not region encoded. If they are, get them from European or Australian stores.

If you grab it from Amazon.co.uk the Blu-ray will cost £30.25, or $44.79, including shipping.

I actually don't have a blu ray player but am considering getting one just for this show (have been a massive fan of the books since they first came out- it's been a long wait). Amazon is $20 cheaper than the JB Hifi price I was just hoping someone would have some cool collector edition stuff.

jambo

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
g7iQd.jpg
now lets see if reddit lied to me.

Danoss

How are you feeling about Sandow? Do you think the pack will be able to cover for his shitty defence?

I started up an NRLCEO comp this year.
I think the defense will be fine around Sandow. Our defense hasn't been much of a problem lately, except on the fringes. I was surprised teams didn't exploit the crap out of that problem last year.

As for Sandow and Roberts overall, I feel good about it and quite excited. Anyone who would prefer Mortimer and Robson over them is either kidding themselves or a complete bafoon.

I mean to create an NRLCEO team this year, but mine and a friends schedule clashed, so no dice. A little late now. If I knew, I would've asked if there was room in yours. I'll have to settle for the SuperCoach and DreamTeam leagues.

Danoss

SydGAF Board Gamers, as only one of you has given me an actual preferred date for round 2, let's set it to that. Sunday, 11th of March. Same time, place, etc. as last time. Who's in?
Sorry mate, I meant to reply.

I'm totally there. I just have to check if the Eels are playing that day, but I'm pretty confident they're not. If you don't hear otherwise, assume I'm coming.

I have more games to play too! I'll get around to taking a pic of my new acquisitions and post them on here, tonight if the footy doesn't stop me.

I think Palmer is just going to bluster about and this will all fizzle. I doubt he's going to get support from other team owners. And a rebel comp won't have FIFA approval so they can't get FIFA registered players. That said this kind of drama/story is fantastic. Keep being crazy Clive.

I think the defense will be fine around Sandow. Our defense hasn't been much of a problem lately, except on the fringes. I was surprised teams didn't exploit the crap out of that problem last year.

As for Sandow and Roberts overall, I feel good about it and quite excited. Anyone who would prefer Mortimer and Robson over them is either kidding themselves or a complete bafoon.

I mean to create an NRLCEO team this year, but mine and a friends schedule clashed, so no dice. A little late now. If I knew, I would've asked if there was room in yours. I'll have to settle for the SuperCoach and DreamTeam leagues.

Damn I was looking for more people too. Didn't even think to ask the question here. If it works this year I'll let you know for next season.

Danoss

Damn I was looking for more people too. Didn't even think to ask the question here. If it works this year I'll let you know for next season.

I'll be in for sure. I only heard about it after last season and was itching to play it. Are you still doing the other fantasy things this year or just NRLCEO?

You have read a lot of books Dead Man. Makes it easier for a lazy man like me to go through your list rather than recall what I have read in the past.

First full day of daycare for the little guy went swimmingly today. Dropped him off a 8am with little fuss and then picked him up at 4pm. He was playing outside in a ball pit with some other kids and a youngish looking careworker. He was having a good time but as soon as he saw us his face lit up and he ran over for hugs. The workers are great and they said he was a joy to be around and didn't bite or hit anyone, he reached out to a kid and when the worker told him to be gentle he gave the kid a nice pat on the back for a bit apparently. He had vegemite scones, beef goulash and rhubarb & banana cake for food provided by the centre, eats better than me! Only had a 20 minute nap at lunch time but when we got home he was buggered and has just gone to bed. Should make him a little more rounded during the week rather than being cooped up with the gf all day.

Fredescu

First full day of daycare for the little guy went swimmingly today.
Nice story, sounds like it went well. I dropped my little man off this morning and put him in the high chair as it was morning tea time when I got there. He's been going for a few months, but it's still touch and go as to whether or not he'll cry when we drop him off. He didn't cry when I put him down, so I started to walk away and I heard one of the carers say "aww Ethan". I looked back and his eyes were full of tears and his bottom lip quivering as he looked up at me. Not quite crying, but somehow even sadder. I've just been thinking about it all day and all I want to do is go home and give him a big hug. Current Mood: Hormonal.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
MELBGAF
Saturday the 3rd of March
5-6pm for a drink or two, then to the exchange hotel (corner of little collins and Kings st) for the GSL finals.

Anyone keen?

I have been too busy to organise anything but I thought I'd do a quick poll see if its worth it.

Yes:
HolyCheck

Maybe:
BananaAmie

No:
Aon

Clipper

SYDGAF
Sunday the 11th of March
10am-??? including lunch at my place, then you all go home.

Everyone's keen.

I had been too busy to organise anything but my polls in recent posts have shown that it's worth it.

Yes:
Clipper
Doncamatic
Jintor
Rahk

Maybe:
Danoss

No:
Nobody yet

Sorry HolyCheck, I couldn't resist.

Dead Man

I love that man.

That is a damn fine statement.

You have read a lot of books Dead Man. Makes it easier for a lazy man like me to go through your list rather than recall what I have read in the past.

LOL, glad to help.

Watched the latest Repor for the Shatner interview and spent the whole 20 minutes laughing, election time is best time for Colber. Some of the best comedy writing I have seen on a late night show in years, he is in great form. Interview with Shatner was great too as you could tell they loved riffing off each other. Would love to shoot the shit with Shatner and share some booze.

Assassin's Creed setting is a pungent disappointment.
Worrying. The setting could be awesome fun as a spin off but I am worried that they will need to go really outlandish and bullshit or it will just feel off.

Nice story, sounds like it went well. I dropped my little man off this morning and put him in the high chair as it was morning tea time when I got there. He's been going for a few months, but it's still touch and go as to whether or not he'll cry when we drop him off. He didn't cry when I put him down, so I started to walk away and I heard one of the carers say "aww Ethan". I looked back and his eyes were full of tears and his bottom lip quivering as he looked up at me. Not quite crying, but somehow even sadder. I've just been thinking about it all day and all I want to do is go home and give him a big hug. Current Mood: Hormonal.
Every kid is like that though, they always get worried that you will never come back but 30 seconds later, "Oooooooooooo a pony!" and they are fine. As long as you keep coming back to him he will learn that it is a safe place to be left for a few hours in a year or so. I do like that he is a little worried when we leave as it makes it less likely he will run off someone or get abducted or something.

MELBGAF
Saturday the 3rd of March
5-6pm for a drink or two, then to the exchange hotel (corner of little collins and Kings st) for the GSL finals.

Anyone keen?

I have been too busy to organise anything but I thought I'd do a quick poll see if its worth it.

Yes:
HolyCheck

Maybe:
BananaAmie

No:
Aon
ReptileScorpio

Nah can't make it this weekend. Hoping to get to Melbourne later in the month though!

legend166

Question for you Fred and reptile:

If you could afford it (huge if, I know), would you prefer that your wives/girlfriends become stay at home mothers?

Honestly I hope I can earn enough in the future so that future wife can be a stay at home mother for my future kids. I don't know if that attitude is looked down upon by society or whatever.

Rahk

SYDGAF
Sunday the 11th of March

Everyone's keen.

I had been too busy to organise anything but my polls in recent posts have shown that it's worth it.

Yes:
Clipper
Doncamatic
Jintor

Maybe:
Danoss

No:
Nobody yet

Sorry HolyCheck, I couldn't resist.
*cough*

Said I can make it in Steam chat.

Fredescu

If you could afford it (huge if, I know), would you prefer that your wives/girlfriends become stay at home mothers?

Honestly I hope I can earn enough in the future so that future wife can be a stay at home mother for my future kids.
I sort of do legend and have offered it to my wife on several occasions, but she prefers to work and I don't begrudge her that. She took a year off unpaid, and we could do it again with ease should the need arise.

Dead Man

Honestly I hope I can earn enough in the future so that future wife can be a stay at home mother for my future kids. I don't know if that attitude is looked down upon by society or whatever.

I know I was not directly addressed, but I think having the ability to have a parent stay at home full time is great if you can manage it. If your wife was making huge money would you be prepared to be a stay at home father?

Hmmm nah. Part time work is the perfect balance for my gf, everyone is different though so it is case by case. Some people are perfectly suited to being a stay at home mum and others would lose their minds if they weren't in the workforce in some way. Even the end of today both my son and fiancee were MUCH happier than they have been all week, just because they got some alone time and time to do things they don't usually get to do. My son loves playing with other kids yet is very introverted at times like me so letting him catch up with people at day care one or two days a week will be perfect. Means the gf can work 2 days a week so she can get out of the house and be a part of a workplace with more friends and goals to enjoy meeting. The money isn't a big deal since we will be losing out on Centrelink benefits, tax benefits and the child care costs. More the mental benefits outweigh any negatives to the idea.
Main thing is create a healthy balance in their lives.

Initially I was 100% behind the idea of her being a housewife but concepts like that change when all you want is everyone to be as happy as possible.

EDIT: I would be prepared to be a stay at home dad as I am pretty pedantic about cleaning around the house and organisation. The days I have had him to myself I have been able to cope fine with entertaining him and keeping the place tidy. Certain things though are better handled by her, like playdates and music time. Things that she is into while I can't tap into my childish mind as well as her. Plus she is very much a Mum and likes to be around him, she wouldn't be able to do more than 3 days a week at work without starting to get depressed and needing to call him to chat on the phone at lunch time.

Fredescu

I don't know if that attitude is looked down upon by society or whatever.
Didn't see the edit. I don't think it's looked down upon necessarily, but it's less common I guess. If the relationship goes sour, a stay at home mum is in a pretty bad position compared to one that kept up with her career, so it's really something that a lot of women do for their own independence. It would be looked down upon if you pressured someone into going back to work when they didn't really want to, or if they felt the need to have that feeling of independence even if you yourself feel a little put out by the fact that they don't take your relationship as a given.

There's also nothing inherently wrong with childcare. Sure it's temporarily heartbreaking for me sometimes, but the other side of the coin is that when we're out and about and he hears or sees kids playing, he instantly wants to see what they're doing and join in, even though he's still quite young. He's less than two and he already strongly desires the company of his peers. Childcare is a good way for him to get that, and to learn a bit of independence himself. It's not all about me and my feelings.

Danoss

SYDGAF
Sunday the 11th of March

Everyone's keen.

Yes:
Clipper
Doncamatic
Jintor
Rahk

Maybe:
Danoss

No:
Nobody yet

Add me to the 'Yes' list please Clip. Eels are playing Monday Night Football at home on the 12th that week, so I'm good to go.

If you want anything brought for lunch, let us know.

Fredescu

If your wife was making huge money would you be prepared to be a stay at home father?
I play stay at home dad one day a week and it's harder than any work that I've ever done. I enjoy it temporarily, but I wouldn't be prepared to give up my career even if my wife made great money. It won't be long before the boy is grown up not to require constant care, and in my technology heavy industry it's way too easy to fall behind.

Dead Man

I play stay at home dad one day a week and it's harder than any work that I've ever done. I enjoy it temporarily, but I wouldn't be prepared to give up my career even if my wife made great money. It won't be long before the boy is grown up not to require constant care, and in my technology heavy industry it's way too easy to fall behind.

Fair enough, my career is just (re)starting again, and I am not in a situation to have to make that decision yet.

Top Bottom