• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 08•26-28•16 - Audiences Don't Breathe as Suicide Squad slips to second

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJChuy

Is the movie with the woman and the shark any good? It's actually coming to China.

The Shallows? I thought it was good, but the last act will make the film either a decent film or a good film depending on how far you're willing your imagination to run wild. Fortunately it's not too over the top.

Anyways, it has nice pacing, simple story with a good emphasise on survival. It doesn't really on eye candy. Worth a watch.

You know Disney is in a good position when people are disappointed because their movies are not making way over a billion. I have seen people disappointed that CW didn't get to Avengers numbers, Jungle Book didn't cross a billion, and that Dory will most likely just inch over it. I can't wait for people to be let down when Rogue One doesn't get even close to Avengers numbers, let alone SW TFA or when Dr. Strange doesn't get close to 1B.

Disney disappointments are their major bombas this year like Finest Hour, Alice, BFG, and Pete's Dragon; and not having a production and distribution label for R rated and hard/non fiction PG-13 movies.

Different films have different expectations. If SW epVIII, avatar 2, avengers infinity war etc just scraped over 1 billion would they be disappointments? That doesn't mean they're failures by any means. I think Disney will be happy with numbers, the movie will make them an incredible amount of money.

It's the number one animated film of all time and when it's over, with merchandise and home video it'll make Disney close to a billion dollars. I'm not sure how that could ever be seen as a disappointment.

Number one animated film in the US you mean (the poster was clearly talking WW numbers). Personally before release i thought 1 billion was a lock worldwide for Dory and i didn't think it would smash the US BO that much. I feel like maybe disappointing is the wrong word or adds more negative connotation than intended. Dory will be one of the more profitable movies ever made once merchandising and everything else is taken into account. Purely in terms of BO though i didn't expect it to come 2nd in 2016 to a completely new IP in the genre.

The Shallows? I thought it was good, but the last act will make the film either a decent film or a good film depending on how far you're willing your imagination to run wild. Fortunately it's not too over the top.

Anyways, it has nice pacing, simple story with a good emphasise on survival. It doesn't really on eye candy. Worth a watch.

Just for a different opinion i feel like bolded couldn't be further from the truth. The shallows breaks reality in some incredibly stupid ways. If you're expecting a movie in any way grounded in reality than this isn't the movie for you. Maybe it was the jaws comparisons that made me thinking i might actually be seeing a good movie. It wasn't awful but it was pretty damn mediocre at best. I would only see it if you're looking for a dumb popcorn blockbuster movie, that can be fun just don't expect much more.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
-1x-1.png

-1x-1.png

Paramount has had a really shitty shitty year

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ime-bombs-got-a-lot-more-disastrous-this-year

Dabanton

Ouch at Paramount.

Very disappointing that two of Disneys more interesting movies this summer. The BFG and Petes Dragon both did pretty badly.

Blablurn

guek

Banned
How did Sony make money when the lost so much on Ghostbusters? Angry Birds wasn't enough to recoup those losses.

Truly didn't remember Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles came out this year.

This Me Before You movie did well. All I know of it is hearing some ladies in the office talk about seeing it.

Different films have different expectations. If SW epVIII, avatar 2, avengers infinity war etc just scraped over 1 billion would they be disappointments? That doesn't mean they're failures by any means. I think Disney will be happy with numbers, the movie will make them an incredible amount of money.

None of the movies that cracked or got close to a billion that people are disappointed by can be compared to those 3 you just mentioned.

Disney is this summer's biggest winner and loser

Now that's taking the spread

I can see the Pirates being the bomba of the year next year. Those movies have ridiculous budgets for some reason. It's probably next year's Alice.

Does disney make R Rated movies?

Not anymore, it's one of the gaps they have in their movie portfolio. They used to have Miramax, Hollywood, and Touchstone that used to produced more mature content, but they sold Miramax, closed Hollywood, and demoted Touchstone to only distribute Dreamworks films. They will probably address this, I mean they addressed their lack of appeal in the boy's market in a pretty big way, so it's not outside of the realm of possibility for them to do the same for the mature market.

Dram

Does anyone think we'll see a sequel to the current Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles films or will it just be rebooted?

jey_16

Banned
the production budget for Pirates 4 was $378m according to wikipedia.....it grossed a billion but still, thats ridiculous

budget for Pirates 5 is meant to be around $250m

LaNaranja

Does anyone think we'll see a sequel to the current Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles films or will it just be rebooted?

I hope we get a sequel. I wonder if it was just a bad release date? This new one was a lot of goofy fun with some really well done action sequences. It is currently sitting comfortably in my top five for the year so far. It was a hell of a lot better than any of the Marvel, DC or Fox movies we got this year, and I say this as someone who loves superhero movies.

Not anymore, it's one of the gaps they have in their movie portfolio. They used to have Miramax, Hollywood, and Touchstone that used to produced more mature content, but they sold Miramax, closed Hollywood, and demoted Touchstone to only distribute Dreamworks films. They will probably address this, I mean they addressed their lack of appeal in the boy's market in a pretty big way, so it's not outside of the realm of possibility for them to do the same for the mature market.

I asked because I thought with this "Superhero Fatigue" narrative being pushed, maybe Disney and maybe warner could try Heavy R Oscar bait comic films.

Stage On

I hope we get a sequel. I wonder if it was just a bad release date? This new one was a lot of goofy fun with some really well done action sequences. It is currently sitting comfortably in my top five for the year so far. It was a hell of a lot better than any of the Marvel, DC or Fox movies we got this year, and I say this as someone who loves superhero movies.

A Sequel isn't going to happen because it flopped so bad. And it deserved too for being so hideous visually even if it was better then the first one but that's not exactly a high bar to clear.

What the franchise needs is a reboot by a production company that isn't owned by Michael Bay. At least then they might get the looks right at least, thought hopefully they'd also copy some of the story from the current Idw comic so we'd get a good story to go with it.

It's the highest grossing Pixar movie of all time. It didn't change the animation game but I wouldn't call it a disappointment.

It's the number one animated film of all time and when it's over, with merchandise and home video it'll make Disney close to a billion dollars. I'm not sure how that could ever be seen as a disappointment.

Just for the sake of clarification, you guys are referring to its domestic records, right? For a minute I thought you were both referring to general/worldwide records hehe.

For what it's worth, I think eFKac is right in that SLoP took a big slice out of Dory's intake. If Dory had a few more weeks all to itself in the animation space (and on another note, Disney didn't try to dump The BFG a few weeks after Dory's release), I reckon the film would had definitely crossed the billion mark by now.

Speaking of which, Disney also severed ties with DreamWorks this year, who Spielberg is taking back to Universal; and when that deal dies, I expect the Touchstone label is going to die with it.

I don't think Disney will be going after adult films again anytime soon. Any live-action film that a. is outside the live-action remake/Marvel/Lucasfilm tentpoles and b. isn't low-budget (like the Disneynature films) is probably gonna have a hard time. It will probably take a different board of directors with a different direction before we see Disney try adult films again.

Bluth54

If they had actually advertised Star Trek correctly it would have done far better for the,m. They only have themselves to blame on that one.
Yeah the ads for Star Trek were bad, and the first trailer was especially bad. Plus they did nothing to advertise it's the 50th anniversary this year, it's not exactly the same but back in 2013 BBC promoted the fact it was the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, doing stuff like a drama based on the creation of Doctor Who, a hilarious internet video featuring several of the older Doctors trying to get in the 50th anniversary episode with a ton of great cameos, a mini episode featuring a Doctor that had only appeared in the 1996 TV movie, and made an event of the 50th anniversary episode by simultaneously airing it in most countries around the world. Not surprisingly it was a huge success for the BBC.

The fact that Paramount basically did nothing to promote Star Trek's 50th anniversary to help with the marketing of Beyond is just crazy.

Going to see Don't Breathe this afternoon. Looking forward to it. I really enjoyed The Shallows earlier this year, too.

SS is a success despite the shitty reception. I guess at some point I'll watch both BvS and SS via Redbox.

It's a shame Star Trek isn't doing better. It's probably the most fun summer movie of the year. It'll be interesting to see whether we get another one.

The GB reboot looks like a fail as well.

And Jesus H Christ at Bomb-Hur. Whoever greenlit that fuckup is likely gone.

kmfdmpig

Yeah the ads for Star Trek were bad, and the first trailer was especially bad. Plus they did nothing to advertise it's the 50th anniversary this year, it's not exactly the same but back in 2013 BBC promoted the fact it was the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, doing stuff like a drama based on the creation of Doctor Who, a hilarious internet video featuring several of the older Doctors trying to get in the 50th anniversary episode with a ton of great cameos, a mini episode featuring a Doctor that had only appeared in the 1996 TV movie, and made an event of the 50th anniversary episode by simultaneously airing it in most countries around the world. Not surprisingly it was a huge success for the BBC.

The fact that Paramount basically did nothing to promote Star Trek's 50th anniversary to help with the marketing of Beyond is just crazy.

I agree, but wonder if their thinking was that they wanted the films to appeal to non-Star Trek fans as well and that linking it to Star Trek history more might make non-Trek fans hesitate. I don't think that makes sense, but I could see that being their rationale.

If Beyond really lost that much money will they still make the sequel the announced?

the production budget for Pirates 4 was $378m according to wikipedia.....it grossed a billion but still, thats ridiculous

budget for Pirates 5 is meant to be around $250m

Pirates 4 costing that much is hilarious to me and it's probably all Depp & Marshall's fault

BumRush

To clarify, yes I was talking about Dory being the number one domestic animated film, but that's definitely where it makes the most money. Just commenting on how there's no possible way it could have been considered a disappointment.

Harmen

In case of Pete's Dragon, I don't necessarily see it as bad business move on the long term. Disney is obviously investing in making modern/life action renditions of their classics and just like their classics, these will become a collection eventually (and I mean the actual remakes of their classic films by this, not some spin-off/sequel like Alice is). I feel like if they continue to build on these films, having the sum of a larger collection of well received live action remakes is going to pay off. From what I gather Pete's Dragon is a good/well-made film, which will at least help their branding.

But still, there is no denying it is a very bad performer at the box office, I think they may have hoped that the big name Jungle Book before it convinced people to go to PD by it being the next Disney remake in line.

Dragon cost like a third of what the Jungle Book cost

It was never going to be a huge thing and they didn't position it that way

It's nice to see that Apocalypse turned an OK profit. Obviously not anywhere near as much as Deadpool, but enough to resume the series after a break. I think Fox would be smart to branch out with Deadpool 2, Wolverine 3, and the new team spin-offs, then come back to the main series in 5 years or so. There was a 5 year gap between The Last Stand and First Class and the series was better for it. Only this time, there will be more in the interim than a shit ass Wolverine prequel.

Harmen

Man, Paramount messed up big time. Unfortunately Star Trek did bad, as that film seems to be pretty good. I don't understand why they thought Ben-Hur was a good idea though.

Dragon cost like a third of what the Jungle Book cost

It was never going to be a huge thing and they didn't position it that way

Oh, I know. I was not implying that. But even though the smaller budget, it is set to book a loss at the box office from the look of things. Yet I feel the film can still help for Disney's "modern remake" repertoire in the grander scheme.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Kinda surprised they haven't popped on for Suicide Squad 2 yet, you have to imagine it's coming

It hadn't made the 800 million required to break even. Here's to films without fresh tomatoes. They almost pulled it off. But Suicide Squad's going to be the patsy.

They didn't own that shit and now they're the itch in Zack Snyder's crotch.

Sanjuro

Kinda surprised they haven't popped on for Suicide Squad 2 yet, you have to imagine it's coming

I don't see it happening. Even if it was successful, it just seemed like a vessel to expand the universe. They could probably just come up with another team based film with lesser characters.

ezekial45

Banned
Star Trek should have been released in the Fall/Winter or following Spring. It didn't stand a chance in a summer this crowded.

It was a really great ST movie, it deserves better.

Penguin

I imagine with these connected universes probably want to wait until other things solidify since would need to move around things to get it to fit in a timely manner. And perhaps with a window for the solo Batman flick.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I don't see it happening. Even if it was successful, it just seemed like a vessel to expand the universe. They could probably just come up with another team based film with lesser characters.

The film is on track to make 700 million worldwide.

They're probably ironing out the script now.

And given the new DC approach, I think they'll tell Ayers to add more humour than he originally did and leave him to it.

Speaking of which, Disney also severed ties with DreamWorks this year, who Spielberg is taking back to Universal; and when that deal dies, I expect the Touchstone label is going to die with it.

I don't think Disney will be going after adult films again anytime soon. Any live-action film that a. is outside the live-action remake/Marvel/Lucasfilm tentpoles and b. isn't low-budget (like the Disneynature films) is probably gonna have a hard time. It will probably take a different board of directors with a different direction before we see Disney try adult films again.

Iger said as much (lack of synergy with parks etc) when they sold Miramax, but they were perfectly fine with it when it was producing profitable films. From 2007 - 2010 it produced bomba after bomba and they decided it was better to sell. Warner does a good job producing profitable hard PG13/R rated movie and I'm sure the board and shareholders would like that positive cash flow coming in as well.

It's nice to see that Apocalypse turned an OK profit. Obviously not anywhere near as much as Deadpool, but enough to resume the series after a break. I think Fox would be smart to branch out with Deadpool 2, Wolverine 3, and the new team spin-offs, then come back to the main series in 5 years or so. There was a 5 year gap between The Last Stand and First Class and the series was better for it. Only this time, there will be more in the interim than a shit ass Wolverine prequel.

Apocalypse's profit was poor IMO. Those estimates include DVD/Blu Ray/VOD sales and TV syndicate estimates, i.e. all the money Fox will make since they will get little to no merchandise money. DOFP made ~80MM and Apocalpse ~55MM. I mean, I'm sure Fox is happy since they made money on the movie, but IMHO, X-Men movies should be making MCU and DCEU like profits (i.e. over 100MM for a low key movie like Ant-Man and most movies well over 150MM profit). Deadpool will be the first one to make that kind of profit for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom