• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 08•26-28•16 - Audiences Don't Breathe as Suicide Squad slips to second

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlorgan

With the exception of Magnificent 7 and Reacher, there are no popcorn flicks to get excited about until Strange on 11/4 (in my opinion). Studios need to start releasing better movies in the Sep-Oct range
Star Trek probably would have done a lot better in that timeframe.

kswiston

With the exception of Magnificent 7 and Reacher, there are no popcorn flicks to get excited about until Strange on 11/4 (in my opinion). Studios need to start releasing better movies in the Sep-Oct range

The first half of Fall has become worse than Jan/Feb.

September-October used to be prime horror movie release time, but instead they all got released this summer? Hell, a movie like The Nice Guys would've done far better releasing now than early summer months.

i'm sure there will be some decent oscar-bait stuff coming up. looking at the basura summer we've had i'll gladly take it over more popcorn flicks right now.

magnificent seven actually looks like a solid reboot tho.

Busty

Banned
looks like 700m WW is out of reach for Squad. Overaeas it didnt do that great.

If it doesn't reach $700m it won't miss it by much and while it wasn't a record breaker overseas considering that this is the first instalment of a new franchise I think it did do great business.

Forget Snyder and all that other DC capeshit, Johns need to save arrow from felicity.

Give up on that dream. Arrow is dead, it was cancelled after season 2 and replaced by Felicity and Friends with Special Guest Star Stephen Amell as the Green Arrow. Just focus on the awesomeness of The Flash and Supergirl and be grateful Berlanti hasn't let Uncle Guggie loose on them.

Loxley

I'm really crossing my fingers that Magnificent 7 ends up being good. Between 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit, I'm hoping we can continue getting great remakes of classic westerns.

Decado

I'm really crossing my fingers that Magnificent 7 ends up being good. Between 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit, I'm hoping we can continue getting great remakes of classic westerns.
Any enthusiasm I had for the film died with its pg13 rating. Not entirely sure why as I really liked the True Grit remake, but I think they are going to go too kid friendly and it will blow.

Any enthusiasm I had for the film died with its pg13 rating. Not entirely sure why as I really liked the True Grit remake, but I think they are going to go too kid friendly and it will blow.

Magnificent Seven (and even Seven Samurai) aren't rated r either. PG 13 is perfectly fine for the type of adventure western they're going for.

Plenty of people gonna get shot but you won't get much in the way of gore

Alrus

The Magnificent Seven cost quite a lot of money for a western... Those usually have a rather limited audience overseas which mean the movie will need to do well to very well at the domestic market.

Fuqua tricked me on Southpaw, he won't do it again here

Plus Appaloosa and 3:10 to Yuma already came out so Westerns have peaked

Decado

Magnificent Seven (and even Seven Samurai) aren't rated r either. PG 13 is perfectly fine for the type of adventure western they're going for.
Meh. That was a different time. What worked then really doesn't seem to any more. Can't compare.

I'm sure pg13 is fine if they are going for hyper violent low impact rubbish ala Lone Ranger.

kswiston

The Magnificent Seven cost quite a lot of money for a western... Those usually have a rather limited audience overseas which mean the movie will need to do well to very well at the domestic market.

Django Unchained managed $260M overseas. The Revenant made $350M overseas. Not perfect examples, but there aren't many other big budget western films to use as a comparison. The Lone Ranger flopped due to its ridiculous budget, but its $260M worldwide take ($171M overseas) would be fine for The Magnificent Seven.

okay? lol

a decent amount of movies arent. Deadpool did over 400m overseas without China.

Probably worth going back and reading an earlier post of mine in this thread to get some perspective.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215274643&postcount=130

Also, Suicide will pass $700M. Domestic is looking like another $25-30M. That alone gives you $665M. The International weekend that just passed was $20M. The international take going forward is not going to stall out at less than twice that, especially with Japan left to open. Japan isn't a huge market for superheroes, but it should be good for at least $10M. BvS made $16M there. Deadpool made $19M.

Fuqua tricked me on Southpaw, he won't do it again here

Plus Appaloosa and 3:10 to Yuma already came out so Westerns have peaked

Fuqua makes a lot of shit but eh magnificent seven looks like a fun action western. I'm not asking for anything more

Hopefully he doesn't throw in basura Eminem music or anything. The cast is dope too. So happy to see byung hun Lee as a cowboy again as well

Have you seen slow west? It's awesome

Is that that Fassbender one? I tried.

Fuqua makes a lot of shit but eh magnificent seven looks like a fun action western. I'm not asking for anything more

Hopefully he doesn't throw in basura Eminem music or anything. The cast is dope too. So happy to see byung hun Lee as a cowboy again as well

You know he's gonna chuck some hot beats in there, just look at the trailer

Captain America: Civil War

Budget: $250 million (according to wikipedia)

So according to your formula...

250 x 2 = 500 million (true cost of the movie)

WW gross = $1.152 billion

^ divided in half = $576 million

Wait, Marvel only made $76 million from Civil War? No wonder Disney cancelled Tron 3.0, they're barely making a profit from superhero movies.

EDIT: Just ran the numbers and Ant-Man lost them a million. Am I doing this right? Math isn't my strong point...

Your math looks good to me dude.

Man, people suck. I wasn't preaching anything, just talking. On a discussion board. About things topic related. Calmly and politely. About a topic I have some knowledge of. And I was perfectly willing to adapt my point of view based on the discussion.

Ugh. I'm sorry I may have...overestimated the marketing budget of some major motion pictures? That is a serious sin. You're right, the only value I have to anyone here is dropping sweet insider info. I'll shut up otherwise.

I dont agree with the budget thing, but you have been calm and polite. Dont worry too much about what people on the internet say. I actually wish we had more people that can have discussions without getting impolite.

UberTag

I expect Byung-hun Lee and the Native guy to share about 15 minutes of screen time.
Most of which will be exhausted in their respective character intros. The rest of their scenes will consist of bad ass kills and timely saves of our heroes Denzel and Pratt. Perhaps one will get a silly catchphrase.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Most of which will be exhausted in their respective character intros. The rest of their scenes will consist of bad ass kills and timely saves of our heroes Denzel and Pratt. Perhaps one will get a silly catchphrase.

It could be worse. They could just introduce Byung-hun Lee with two lines worth of dialogue out of nowhere, and have him stand around doing nothing for two hours while they pat themselves on the back over their "diversity".

Like a certain shitty blockbuster.

Schlorgan

It could be worse. They could just introduce Byung-hun Lee with two lines worth of dialogue out of nowhere, and have him stand around doing nothing for two hours while they pat themselves on the back over their "diversity".

Snap

DeathyBoy

Banned

Or cast a great actor like Don Cheadle and give him lines like "it's the UN" am I right guys?

Batjag

Trailers make it out to be Denzel, Chris Pratt, and five others. Hoping that's just the marketing leaning on those two.

Well, the original is pretty much Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen and five other guys. Those other guys were awesome actors, but they don't do much in the movie. Each one gets pretty much an intro, one scene of "character development"and a final scene to themselves. The rest of the time they're just the gang.

I don't even know what this is referring to. Every hollywood byung hun Lee movie I guess lol. But yeah I think you guys are getting your hopes high on who gets to speak in this movie

It will play out like the old movies and practically every action ensemble ever made

The leads (denzel and Pratt) get the brunt of the dialogue along with the villain. And everybody else has their comraderie and show off scenes with a few lines here and there. The end.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I don't even know what this is referring to. Every hollywood byung hun Lee movie I guess lol. But yeah I think you guys are getting your hopes high on who gets to speak in this movie

It will play out like the old movies and practically every action ensemble ever made

The leads (denzel and Pratt) get the brunt of the dialogue along with the villain. And everybody else has their comraderie and show off scenes with a few lines here and there. The end.

It reminds me of people carefully timing how long each character is in The Avengers and laughing at Thor's minimal screen time.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I don't even know what this is referring to.
katana_x_male_reader___blackest_night_pt_1_by_summonssniper-dad8074.png

kswiston

Looks like Dory is having a major re-expansion this weekend. Ghostbusters is gaining 650 venues as well.

Don't Breathe should easily win the weekend again. Suicide Squad may pass $300M this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom