• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 08•26-28•16 - Audiences Don't Breathe as Suicide Squad slips to second

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Dory is having a major re-expansion this weekend. Ghostbusters is gaining 650 venues as well.

Don't Breathe should easily win the weekend again. Suicide Squad may pass $300M this weekend.

Will the relatively dead September give some movies a bit of breathing room? Intriguing.

Alrus

Ouija took number 1 for two weeks in a row? Gross.

But anyway it's nice to see a bunch of well made horror movies do well at the BO recently. We still get the uncomprehensibly successful shitty ones like Annabelle but it seems quality has improved a bit.

Outside of box office receipts, I'd bet Civil War made Marvel $200M+ in DVD/Blu/VOD and merchandising, minimum.

If you believe Deadline then even Ant-Man made a profit of over 100M, and that's not even counting merchandise.

More money was spent on Kubo TV ads in the US than Suicide Squad TV ads.

Do you have a source for this? Would be extremely surprising if that's the case. I saw a fair amount of Kubo TV ads, but SS was all over the place, especially in the last two weeks of July.

So now Marvel lost money on Ant-Man? last year I seen they made 100+ mill profit off of it.
5I5s8.png

Edit: Post above me. The Disney machine probably has some of the best accountants on the planet brehs.

kswiston

If you believe Deadline then even Ant-Man made a profit of over 100M, and that's not even counting merchandise.

I had a post a page or two back where I compared superhero box office, to average blockbuster numbers as discussed by someone in the film industry. The large majority of comic films break even or make money. Something that should be obvious from the fact that The Wolverine and Fantastic Four are the only two big budget comic films to make less than $500M worldwide since the Avengers released. The Wolverine broke $400M, and was relatively cheap for the genre. Fant4stic obviously flopped.

If the majority of $550-700M earners lost money, we wouldn't have much of an blockbuster film industry left.

Do you have a source for this? Would be extremely surprising if that's the case. I saw a fair amount of Kubo TV ads, but SS was all over the place, especially in the last two weeks of July.

Variety runs a weekly column by iSpot.tv that lists the top 5 TV ad spenders for the week.

Kubo lasted appeared on the Aug 21 column at #1. It wasn't in the top 5 the following week (probably since it would be a waste of money given the box office return). Ad spending was estimated at $32M as of the Aug 21st column

http://variety.com/2016/more/news/kubo-and-the-two-strings-again-tops-tv-ad-spending-1201842166/

Suicide Squad last appeared in the top 5 on the Aug 8th column. At that point, total ad spending was estimated at $23M.

http://variety.com/2016/more/news/petes-dragon-tops-tv-ad-spending-1201832647/

If Suicide Squad was #6 during the following 2 weeks (bringing us to that Aug 21 column), the most it could have spent was another $8.85M.

BumRush

I had a post a page or two back where I compared superhero box office, to average blockbuster numbers as discussed by someone in the film industry. The large majority of comic films break even or make money. Something that should be obvious from the fact that The Wolverine and Fantastic Four are the only two big budget comic films to make less than $500M worldwide since the Avengers released. The Wolverine broke $400M, and was relatively cheap for the genre. Fant4stic obviously flopped.

If the majority of $550-700M earners lost money, we wouldn't have much of an blockbuster film industry left.

Variety runs a weekly column by iSpot.tv that lists the top 5 TV ad spenders for the week.

Kubo lasted appeared on the Aug 21 column at #1. It wasn't in the top 5 the following week (probably since it would be a waste of money given the box office return). Ad spending was estimated at $32M as of the Aug 21st column

http://variety.com/2016/more/news/kubo-and-the-two-strings-again-tops-tv-ad-spending-1201842166/

Suicide Squad last appeared in the top 5 on the Aug 8th column. At that point, total ad spending was estimated at $23M.

If Suicide Squad was #6 during the following 2 weeks (bringing us to that Aug 21 column), the most it could have spent was another $8.85M.

Great post

kswiston

Disney is in full "don't give a shit" mode for the last film in their Dreamworks distribution deal. Deadline is reporting an estimated $5M 4-day opening for the film based on early Friday numbers. Granted, Disney has the film playing in fewer theatres than Finding Dory this weekend.

I guess that our string of critically acclaimed horror films have left genre fans choosier than typical. Morgan is on track for $3M over the 4-day weekend. Pretty poor, even for a $8M film. I guess being Ridley Scott's son only goes so far.

Deadline is currently putting Don't Breathe at $13.5M over the 4-day holiday, but that drop seems pretty steep. We'll know more tomorrow.

I don't see anything about Suicide Squad yet.

Great post

Thanks

Too bad Morgan isn't reviewing well. The Scott children need better material or better timing. Jake's last movie was buried due to bad timing with Kirsten Stewart's career but the movie itself was actually pretty good. Oh well, back to making dozens of commercials and videos a year.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Disney is in full "don't give a shit" mode for the last film in their Dreamworks distribution deal. Deadline is reporting an estimated $5M 4-day opening for the film based on early Friday numbers. Granted, Disney has the film playing in fewer theatres than Finding Dory this weekend.

I guess that our string of critically acclaimed horror films have left genre fans choosier than typical. Morgan is on track for $3M over the 4-day weekend. Pretty poor, even for a $8M film. I guess being Ridley Scott's son only goes so far.

Deadline is currently putting Don't Breathe at $13.5M over the 4-day holiday, but that drop seems pretty steep. We'll know more tomorrow.

I don't see anything about Suicide Squad yet.

Thanks
Maybe they should be waiting till October for Horror films? They just had one that looks quite interesting release last week.

I had seen your post and I agree. I also don't think Fantastic Four has ever made Fox any money. Maybe the first made a little bit, but I doubt it.

Thanks for the source though. Fascinating stuff.

That deal was a mess. Didn't really work out for either party and Disney still has a major gap in its movie portfolio (R rated movies and non heroes/non fiction/hard PG-13). With touchstone likely following hollywood label's fate, I don't know how they can change that short of an acquisition.

Finding Dory has taken back control of my local IMAX theater.

Is there even anything between now and Magnificent Seven that can possibly take it over?

This September is not dead movie month this year surprisingly. The Magnificent Seven, Storks, Blair Witch, Bridget Jones's Baby, and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, should make this September might be the largest grossing in history. I still don´t get why September is usually such a dead month for big movie releases, besides kids are back to school.

This September is not dead movie month this year surprisingly. The Magnificent Seven, Storks, Blair Witch, Bridget Jones's Baby, and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, should make this September might be the largest grossing in history. I still don´t get why September is usually such a dead month for big movie releases, besides kids are back to school.

Audiences seem to be doing a pretty good job of breaking the dead month mentality and sending the message that they're willing to see a quality movie no matter when in the year. August has become a pretty profitable month, and comic book February seems to be a thing now (Kingsman, Deapool, Black Panther).

Heck, just look at this summer where aside from some very big heavy hitters brought in a relatively low amount of money.

Which ones are the critically acclaimed? Don't Breathe and Morgan?

Penguin

Don’t Breathe is the top film on its second Friday (and presumably its second weekend) as the Sony release earned $4.175 million yesterday. That’s a reasonable (for a horror film) drop of 57%, and it gives the buzzy Screen Gems release a $39.59m eight-day cume. We can expect around $14.9m for the Fri-Sun weekend (-44%) and $18.2m for the holiday frame (-37%) for a new $58m cume.

Suicide Squad is now officially using those August/September legs as intended, earning another $2.245 million (-32%) to bring its domestic total to $289.662m. The Will Smith/Margot Robbie DC Comics offering should earn around $10.5m (-15%) for the Fri-Sun frame and $13.81m (+4%) for the holiday frame.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...n-of-steel-bad-moms-passes-100m/#62bc490f59b9

Busty

Banned
Another bomb for Fassbender. As much as I like him the man onscreen he has never opened a film himself (X-Men and Prometheus being franchises etc) and apparently Fox are worried about Assassin's Creed. They should be.

With no big 'Ass Creed' game to piggy back off of it feels like the studio (which was a minority financier on the film IIRC) is just going to throw this out into market and hope for the best.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Don't Breathe - $4.2M - $40M total
2) Suicide Squad - $2.2M (-32%) - $290M total
3) Pete's Dragon - $1.4M (-24%) - $59M total
4) Kubo and the Two Strings - $1.4M (-28%) - $29M total
5) Sausage Party - $1.4M (-40%) - $85M total
6) The Light Between Oceans -$1.4M
7) Bad Moms - $1.3M (-29%) - $99M total
8) War Dogs - $1.2M (-40%) - $33M total
9) Hell or High Water - $1.2M (+18%) - $11M total
10) Mechanic: Resurrection - $1.1M (-58%) - $11M total

x) Morgan - $615k
x) Finding Dory - $375k ($181 PTA) - $480M

- New releases are DOA
- Mostly good holds for the rest of the top 10, with great holds on the family films. Expected for Labor Day weekend though.
- It looks like everyone interested in Dory had their fill. The wide re-expansion didn't do very much.

guek

Banned
Wow Morgan mega bombed.

It looked like dreadful. The creepy child horror trope needs a major shakeup to be interesting again, Morgan doesn't look like it even tried.

Anya Taylor-Joy is still a cutie though, I hope we see more of her.

Don't Breathe, Lights Out and Conjuring 2 have been pretty well received.
Hmm. None of those look interesting in the way like The Witch, It Follows, and The Babadook have been the past few years. Oh well, guess I'll just go see what's so great about them since there's not much else horror this year.

kurahador

Hmm. None of those look interesting in the way like The Witch, It Follows, and The Babadook have been the past few years. Oh well, guess I'll just go see what's so great about them since there's not much else horror this year.

The Green Room is another one.

kswiston

It looks like The Jungle Book didn't go over that well in Japan. Can't bump everything to the $1B mark I guess!

Instead, they are currently eating up an anime movie about two high school kids called Your Name. I know next to nothing about anime, and don't recognize any of the director's previous films, but it seems like he is gaining popularity fast there from what I briefly read. Based on the projected gross after two weekends, the film might end up over $100M there. That's Miyazaki territory.

Their newest Godzilla film is putting up impressive numbers as well.

eFKac

Is Finding Dory a disappointment? Sure it did great domestically and surely made a lot of money overall but I can't be the only one who thought it would easily outgross Zootopia and Jungle Book even after we knew how high their numbers are, especially considering the pre release buzz.

Did Secret Life of Pets eat so much of it's pie?

BumRush

It looks like The Jungle Book didn't go over that well in Japan. Can't bump everything to the $1B mark I guess!

Instead, they are currently eating up an anime movie about two high school kids called Your Name. I know next to nothing about anime, and don't recognize any of the director's previous films, but it seems like he is gaining popularity fast there from what I briefly read. Based on the projected gross after two weekends, the film might end up over $100M there. That's Miyazaki territory.

Their newest Godzilla film is putting up impressive numbers as well.

That's a shame. Jungle Book was awesome.

guek

Banned
Is Finding Dory a disappointment? Sure it did great domestically and surely made a lot of money overall but I can't be the only one who thought it would easily outgross Zootopia and Jungle Book even after we knew how high their numbers are, especially considering the pre release buzz.

It's the highest grossing Pixar movie of all time. It didn't change the animation game but I wouldn't call it a disappointment.

BumRush

It's the number one animated film of all time and when it's over, with merchandise and home video it'll make Disney close to a billion dollars. I'm not sure how that could ever be seen as a disappointment.

Kusagari

I know Dory still has a couple markets left but I think the fact it will most likely inch across a billion is disappointing.

I expected a much better overseas gross.

I know Dory still has a couple markets left but I think the fact it will most likely inch across a billion is disappointing.

I expected a much better overseas gross.

You know Disney is in a good position when people are disappointed because their movies are not making way over a billion. I have seen people disappointed that CW didn't get to Avengers numbers, Jungle Book didn't cross a billion, and that Dory will most likely just inch over it. I can't wait for people to be let down when Rogue One doesn't get even close to Avengers numbers, let alone SW TFA or when Dr. Strange doesn't get close to 1B.

Disney disappointments are their major bombas this year like Finest Hour, Alice, BFG, and Pete's Dragon; and not having a production and distribution label for R rated and hard/non fiction PG-13 movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom