• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 08•26-28•16 - Audiences Don't Breathe as Suicide Squad slips to second

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

So Summer's more or less settled at this point.

Top 10 films this summer:

1) Finding Dory - $480-485M
2) Captain America: Civil War - $409M
3) The Secret Life of Pets - $365-375M
4) Suicide Squad - $305-320M
5) Jason Bourne - $165-175M
6) Star Trek Beyond - $155-160M
7) X-Men Apocalypse - $155M
8) Ghostbusters - $127-129M
9) Central Intelligence - $127M
10) The Legend of Tarzan - $126M

Bad Moms could end up bumping Tarzan off the bottom of the list if it continues to get those sub 30s holds.

There's a pretty decent drop from the Top 4 and the bottom 6

Heck, it's even similar from 1 to 2

kswiston

There's a pretty decent drop from the Top 4 and the bottom 6

Heck, it's even similar from 1 to 2

Films apparently aren't allowed to make $200-299M domestic this year.

There's always a chance for a surprise upset performance, but I think we will remain without a $200M film until November. I think at least one of Fantastic Beasts, Doctor Strange, and Moana ends up in that range.

3N16MA

Banned
So Summer's more or less settled at this point.

Top 10 films this summer:

1) Finding Dory - $480-485M
2) Captain America: Civil War - $409M
3) The Secret Life of Pets - $365-375M
4) Suicide Squad - $305-320M
5) Jason Bourne - $165-175M
6) Star Trek Beyond - $155-160M
7) X-Men Apocalypse - $155M
8) Ghostbusters - $127-129M
9) Central Intelligence - $127M
10) The Legend of Tarzan - $126M

Bad Moms could end up bumping Tarzan off the bottom of the list if it continues to get those sub 30s holds.

We did it Vinny!

UberTag

I think it's time for a best/worst summer movies 2016 thread. Someone want to make it?
I'll pop in to vote for Kubo... although I suspect Hell or High Water may wind up topping it. It doesn't arrive in my neck of the woods until Friday.

I won't be able to vote for worst summer movie because I wisely passed on paying money for Suicide Squad.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Man, people suck. I wasn't preaching anything, just talking. On a discussion board. About things topic related. Calmly and politely. About a topic I have some knowledge of. And I was perfectly willing to adapt my point of view based on the discussion.

Ugh. I'm sorry I may have...overestimated the marketing budget of some major motion pictures? That is a serious sin. You're right, the only value I have to anyone here is dropping sweet insider info. I'll shut up otherwise.

No Matt, stay! We haven't talked about Divergent yet!

DeathyBoy

Banned
I'll pop in to vote for Kubo... although I suspect Hell or High Water may wind up topping it. It doesn't arrive in my neck of the woods until Friday.

I won't be able to vote for worst summer movie because I wisely passed on paying money for Suicide Squad.

1) Warcraft
2) Alice
3) STB

so Johns runs DCfilms and is the CCO of DC entertainment? and he dabbles in the CW shit too? dude gonna be burned out
5I5s8.png

Captain America: Civil War - $409M
Superhero Fatigue Here Brehs
rejoice.png

UberTag

SS might be be the worst movie ever to hit 600 million

Edit: i checked. it is.
Man, I know I haven't watched it but this is a bold statement.
We live in a world where abominable Michael Bay-directed Transformers films exist. How can something be worse than those?

SS is easily the worst made high profile movie I've seen when going by plot structure and pacing.

But the 15 minutes of Transformers 3 I saw on cable made me want to slam my head in a car door.

DeathyBoy

Banned
SS is easily the worst made high profile movie I've seen when going by plot structure and pacing.

But the 15 minutes of Transformers 3 I saw on cable made me want to slam my head in a car door.

Warcraft tho. It's full of exposition and I still had no idea what was going on.

milanbaros

Member?
Just came in to say that I think Matt is right. Half the gross and double the budget is very reasonable and a good general rule of thumb for big budget films.

The rule just ignores all other income from home video, merchandising etc. which makes a big difference.

However, when people say that it has already broken even at the box office, which I believe is rare, then about 4x budget is about right.

A film can be a financial success without breaking even at the box office though.

DeathyBoy

Banned
i enjoyed warcraft more than suicide squad, and last year's comic movies too honestly.

it's pretty silly though.

I'm not a fantasy guy in general to be fair. Or a sci fi guy. So those have to work doubly hard. And when I'm playing "spot the bad edit" it ain't cricket

kswiston

I haven't seen Suicide Squad but their are a lot of bad movies in the $600M+ range. I doubt it's in its own class.

Strange almost assuredly makes between $200,000,000-$299,999,999, right?

I could go under. Ant-man was $180M afterall. I do think it's a likely candidate for the $200M range though.

I'm looking for it because i'm rooting for Mel to be back and do well with this film, but apparently is very low key despite good critics reception.

Mel was awesome. It was a very apologetic movie though. Mel really underlined how sorry he is. It was a bit meh to witness, but if you don't let that throw you off, it's a nice action movie.

Sony hit it big with Sausage Party. :O

Ironically right after Ghostbomba... :\

I'm sure no MRA would ever use this as a reason to- oh wait, there it is. I fucking hate Youtube recommendations sometimes.

SS versus Bayformers though, oooof, that's a tough one. I think the editing in SS was so borderline incomprehensible that I'm going to say it is in fact worse than the Bay Transformers movies, even if almost everything about them repulses me.

Schlorgan

Put in a preorder for Star Trek Beyond on Amazon. I got an email today saying that it would come out September 20th, then another one a few hours later basically saying "never mind, we don't know when it's coming out." Clerical error or is Paramount fast tracking that Blu-ray release?

BumRush

With the exception of Magnificent 7 and Reacher, there are no popcorn flicks to get excited about until Strange on 11/4 (in my opinion). Studios need to start releasing better movies in the Sep-Oct range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom