• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clint Eastwood praises Trump: "Just fucking get over it" (regarding racist comments)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the role he played in Gran Torino was the real Clint Eastwood, huh.

This is almost understandable with this quote. The character in that movie is openly racist, but ends up doing the right thing because deep down he's a good person. Same with American Sniper.

I don't think Trump fits the mold of either character. Like, at all.

I have a complicated relationship with political correctness. I don't think those who deride it want to be able to use it as an avenue for unfettered racism or bigotry. Personally I find PC language as a veneer of feel good bullshit designed to make people, usually above those or what it is they are describing to feel better about themselves.

Here is a small example. Saying a place is a slum instead of economically disadvantaged neighbourhood. Who are you protecting? Who is made to feel better? The severity of the problem is minimized. The situation seems controllable. Oh we just have to economically advantage it and it's singular problem will be solved. No, the place is a slum with the myriad of problems that word entails and we should be ashamed for its existence. Stop softening the issue.

Same could be said for using the term sex offender versus rapist. What would you rather hear to describe an actual rapist?

Clint's personal attitude is probably closer to that of his character in Gran Torino than anything else. A man who sees the world in good guys and bad guys and in clear right and wrong who doesn't like his world or personal rights infinged upon. He still sees the humanity in the other but wants and feels the need to push American values of strength and culture upon it.

That isn't what America is though by the book. That is just what a lot of it was in the past. There isn't anything that justifies racism or sexism and that is true whether PC culture exists or not. Don't forget it is called political because it is designed to sound as such with no concise leaning in one way or another, it serves as a veil.

The beauty of language and personal opinion still means that people can vocally disagree with you if you say something you shouldn't. Clint hasn't said anything racist to my knowledge. Remember that the man is an artist and artists in general hate walls placed infront of them that stops them from creating. Same thing is going on in stand up comedy.

I don't think either of your examples are those of "political correctness". They're not made-up shit people came up with to sugarcoat other terms. "Economically disadvantaged neighborhood" is far more descriptive than "slum", which is why people use it. "Registered sex offender" is the actual official name, "rapist" is just a colloquialism.

The issue when "anit-PC" people come up is that they fight for terms and semantics when they don't really know what they're fighting for. Are they fighting for the freedom to use shitty words? I mean, they've always been able to, it's just that other groups are far more likely today to call out the BS when they see it. Are they longing for the days when they could express their shitty verbiage without getting called out on it? IDK, that sounds an awful lot like people who want to be coddled and not challenged on their views. Exactly the kind of thing Clint is condemning about on the other side.

Red

As a reminder: the bullshit concept of "political correctness" when referring to discussion about actually oppressive actions and words was originated by Rush Limbaugh.

If you find yourself endorsing the ideas of a loudmouth liar, maybe consider asking yourself why.
Look man, I just want to be able to say whatever I want about anybody, and to disparage people who are unlike me, with no consequences. Is that so much to ask?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Remember when talking to an empty chair was the most ridiculous thing we've ever seen in politics?

Back in my day celebrities didn't yell at empty chairs and we had respectable campaigns.

Fuck off, Clint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom