• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clint Eastwood praises Trump: "Just fucking get over it" (regarding racist comments)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guess Who

Banned
I agree with you on that one, Clint. And between Clinton and Trump, I would rather have Trump mostly because of the chaos it would cause in the financial world and chaos is a chance to make money in the stock market, not that opportunities aren't popping out every now and then (Thanks UK for Brexit! I made almost as much money on a week that I would have done in months of trading)

It must be so much easier to be a wealthy sociopath than an empathetic human being. I'm almost envious.

Can't say that I don't agree with Clint's sentiment about this being a "pussy-generation". Seems like everyone's so thin-skinned these days and get offended by everything and anything.

idk, maybe it's just the vocal minority (i.e. tumblr) getting super loud

love when people use "tumblr" as a codeword for "women and queers"

MP9pDxl.png

kavanf1

I have a complicated relationship with political correctness. I don't think those who deride it want to be able to use it as an avenue for unfettered racism or bigotry. Personally I find PC language as a veneer of feel good bullshit designed to make people, usually above those or what it is they are describing to feel better about themselves.

Here is a small example. Saying a place is a slum instead of economically disadvantaged neighbourhood. Who are you protecting? Who is made to feel better? The severity of the problem is minimized. The situation seems controllable. Oh we just have to economically advantage it and it's singular problem will be solved. No, the place is a slum with the myriad of problems that word entails and we should be ashamed for its existence. Stop softening the issue.

Same could be said for using the term sex offender versus rapist. What would you rather hear to describe an actual rapist?

Clint's personal attitude is probably closer to that of his character in Gran Torino than anything else. A man who sees the world in good guys and bad guys and in clear right and wrong who doesn't like his world or personal rights infinged upon. He still sees the humanity in the other but wants and feels the need to push American values of strength and culture upon it.

That isn't what America is though by the book. That is just what a lot of it was in the past. There isn't anything that justifies racism or sexism and that is true whether PC culture exists or not. Don't forget it is called political because it is designed to sound as such with no concise leaning in one way or another, it serves as a veil.

The beauty of language and personal opinion still means that people can vocally disagree with you if you say something you shouldn't. Clint hasn't said anything racist to my knowledge. Remember that the man is an artist and artists in general hate walls placed infront of them that stops them from creating. Same thing is going on in stand up comedy.
Careful with that nuanced well thought out opinion. ITT we see people wishing a man dead for saying something inappropriate. How enlightened.

I think I must have misunderstood Gran Torino.

Clint Eastwood inching closer to being in the Mel Gibson territory of being an exceptional actor and film maker but being a terrible person and ruining that

Breakage

Seems like he has been harbouring these views for decades. Living an incredibly privileged life and being idolised across the world hasn't made a difference.
Makes me wonder how he really felt about working with non-white actors.

Laz-E-Boy

I agree with him on the get over it part.
He's spot on about everything. Love the guy
Kinda gross how many replies are essentially "lol old person"
well said clint. Couldnt agree more!
I agree a bit with the pussy generation thing. So many people have started to get offended over everything the past couple of years. It's why I like the saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never harm me."

Drive by posters on a somewhat anonymous message board who don't even have the courage to post in this thread again showing support for an 80 year old crybaby whining about 'whining'.
sass1.png

I guess Clint was right about the generation
sass2.png

Oriel

Eastwood has long been a cunt. It's only thanks to his films that he's managed to get a bye for so long.

dream

...for heterosexual white men.

You mean Sergio Leone's movies and Ennio Morricone's music?

Cultural appropriation strikes again!

Wait, what? This makes no sense. Whose culture is being appropriated? Are you saying Americans are appropriating Italian culture? Or Italians are appropriating American culture?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
What I find funny is people like Clint call it the Pussy Generation because people are speaking out against things like racism, sexism, bigotry, stupidity and so forth. How is that being a pussy to him? That's showing some balls. You're taking on a huge systematic racism system that extends to all forms of American life such as the police force, standing up to the ignorance in people's ingrained belief system, and risking your livelihood and safety in doing so. Its fucking brave if you ask me.

TalonJH

Yes he's a dick but let's now go over the edge and wish death on someone. That's a bit much.

I find it hard to get worked up about things older people say when they're not politicians. Things were just different back then. We'll all be out of touch one day too.

He is a politician or at least he was. In the quote from the OP he even says:
I gave up dough to be a politician.

He was the mayor of a town in 1986. He was appointed to the California State Park and Recreation Commission by Governor Davis in 2001 and then reappointed in 2004 by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.

So the next celebrity I liked turned out to be an ass... :(

Nah, we knew he was a bit of one when he did the chair bit at Mitt's RNC and a few other things he said around that time.

What I find funny is people like Clint call it the Pussy Generation because people are speaking out against things like racism, sexism, bigotry, stupidity and so forth. How is that being a pussy to him? That's showing some balls. You're taking on a huge systematic racism system that extends to all forms of American life such as the police force, standing up to the ignorance in people's ingrained belief system, and risking your livelihood and safety in doing so. Its fucking brave if you ask me.

"Get over it", which I imagine will be followed by "He's just saying what everyone is thinking" and "it's a free country".

It's sad, lots of people refuse to see anything from any perspective but their own.

Thorgal

...for heterosexual white men.

You mean Sergio Leone's movies and Ennio Morricone's music?

Cultural appropriation strikes again!

And Clint still stared and killed it in those movies.

If the poster was only referencing to movies he himself directed then i have little to ad as i watched only 1 of those ( Letters of Iwo Jima which i found fantastic ) .

but if he meant every movie including ones he stared in like the spaghetti western then i am gonna have to disagree .

Skilletor

I find it hard to get worked up about things older people say when they're not politicians. Things were just different back then. We'll all be out of touch one day too.

But I won't ever be racist. And I won't teach my children or other people over whom I might have influence such terrible things.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Old folks' generation pitched a fit at the prospect of sharing a water fountain or a classroom with minorities, but yeah, we're the touchy li'l pussies.

"Get over it", which I imagine will be followed by "He's just saying what everyone is thinking" and "it's a free country".

It's sad, lots of people refuse to see anything from any perspective but their own.

It is sad. And when they get confronted on it, they seem to disappear into the night. If you're gonna say something, at least have some backbone to stand on it, then proceed to get rebuttaled into oblivion. Hmm, guess that's why they hid, they don't want to look like fools. Too late for that.

Talents

Banned
Guess you've never been name called, singled out and targeted for intimidation and bullying.

It sucks to see. Sucks worse when you're on the receiving end of it. I'd wager that it sucks even more when you're a member of a minority group that's being demonized.

But we should all just ignore it. That's worked oh so well historically.

I was bullied once in primary school, so I asked my dad what to do and he told me to punch him. I did and he stopped bullying me and we actually became kinda friends. That's why you stick up for yourself.

Because men have long been taught that being anything less than belligerent or stoical in the face of struggle is "womanly" and denotes "pussification." It's especially easy for a white man who hasn't lived those specific struggles to say, and I very much suspect this is at the root of Eastwood's ramblings. "Shup up and take it; don't be a pussy and cry about it. They're just words!"

No fucking shit racist shit wasn't called out when he was growing up. Racism was baked into the law. He must have really hated the civil rights movement.

I was bullied once in primary school, so I asked my dad what to do and he told me to punch him. I did and he stopped bullying me and we actually became kinda friends. That's why you stick up for yourself.

The old "it worked for me, so it must work for everyone else" outlook.

Enjoy that perspective.

Can't say that I don't agree with Clint's sentiment about this being a "pussy-generation". Seems like everyone's so thin-skinned these days and get offended by everything and anything.

idk, maybe it's just the vocal minority (i.e. tumblr) getting super loud

Yup that part I 100% agree with. I think he could have framed his argument a tad better though.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
As a reminder: the bullshit concept of "political correctness" when referring to discussion about actually oppressive actions and words was originated by Rush Limbaugh.

If you find yourself endorsing the ideas of a loudmouth liar, maybe consider asking yourself why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom