• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clint Eastwood praises Trump: "Just fucking get over it" (regarding racist comments)

Status
Not open for further replies.
“We’re really in a pussy generation. Everybody’s walking on eggshells. We see people accusing people of being racist and all kinds of stuff. When I grew up, those things weren’t called racist.”

You are definitely a repulican, Clunt.

kavanf1

Yeah. I suspect this will happen to pretty much everyone on this site eventually. I'm sticking something on my calendar for when I turn 70 to never talk about politics or social sciences ever again so I can avoid being an embarrassing piece of shit. Then again, my Dad manages to get more liberal every year and he's 78, so maybe there's hope.

It's easy to disagree when someone says you shouldn't judge historical figures based against modern sensibilities, but the fact of the matter is we all have ungestated prejudices and things we haven't ever considered which will be more relevant 40 years from now which will make us look like ignorant dinosaurs. Nearly all of us will eventually be a disappointment to some later generation.

Then again we should all know already that the environmentally destructive consumer lifestyle we were born into and can't help but participate in guarantees we will be mocked for eternity by subsequent civilizations anyway.

Well said.

I agree with you on that one, Clint. And between Clinton and Trump, I would rather have Trump mostly because of the chaos it would cause in the financial world and chaos is a chance to make money in the stock market, not that opportunities aren't popping out every now and then (Thanks UK for Brexit! I made almost as much money on a week that I would have done in months of trading)

You'll need it for the bomb shelter.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
"Back in my day I could freely insult & threaten black people & immigrants and it was like, normal! Nobody gave a damn, you weren't called a racist, so why should we now?"

Clint's logic basically?

Trump comments on a judge being bias due to race for literally no reason and that isnt racism? Calling something racism is being a pussy? I propose that Clint is a pussy for crying about calling something obviously based on race racism is somehow sensitive. Its about as blunt as you can get you clown.

bionic77

Yeah. I suspect this will happen to pretty much everyone on this site eventually. I'm sticking something on my calendar for when I turn 70 to never talk about politics or social sciences ever again so I can avoid being an embarrassing piece of shit. Then again, my Dad manages to get more liberal every year and he's 78, so maybe there's hope.

It's easy to disagree when someone says you shouldn't judge historical figures based against modern sensibilities, but the fact of the matter is we all have ungestated prejudices and things we haven't ever considered which will be more relevant 40 years from now which will make us look like ignorant dinosaurs. Nearly all of us will eventually be a disappointment to some later generation.

Then again we should all know already that the environmentally destructive consumer lifestyle we were born into and can't help but participate in guarantees we will be mocked for eternity by subsequent civilizations anyway.
Well said.

My dad is 72 and he has no signs of dementia or anything else yet, but if you live long enough it will happen to you and it is horrible for everyone who loves or cares for that person.

Granted it is also very possible that Clint's mind is functioning perfectly and he is just a racist shitbag, but in general I give very old people the benefit of the doubt because I have seen firsthand how someone can become a totally different person once their brain starts failing.

darthbob

Can't say that I don't agree with Clint's sentiment about this being a "pussy-generation". Seems like everyone's so thin-skinned these days and get offended by everything and anything.

idk, maybe it's just the vocal minority (i.e. tumblr) getting super loud

Talents

Banned
I agree a bit with the pussy generation thing. So many people have started to get offended over everything the past couple of years. It's why I like the saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never harm me."

Slayven

We need more rich, straight, white males to be brave enough to tell people to get over shit. No one walks a harder road than them

MisterR

Yep, we'll all live long enough to become the villain.

Wow everyone is coming out and showing their true colors. We really are doomed one way or another these are the end times.

Well at least the mods know who to look out for in the future when threads like this show up again. And considering what's happening lately, another will show up again. Count on it.

Can't say that I don't agree with Clint's sentiment about this being a "pussy-generation". Seems like everyone's so thin-skinned these days and get offended by everything and anything.

idk, maybe it's just the vocal minority (i.e. tumblr) getting super loud

See, I get why people might say this in some small respects. Like, certain issues don't really require "outrage" or whatever people wanna call reactions these days.

That being said, Clint is directly referring to racism and telling people to "get over it". Trying to skew this into some sort of overall PC discussion is pretty stupid. As a minority, I'm a little tired of people throwing that shit at me, and you'd think I'd have a right to be upset about that.

But nah, it's just about "thin skin or whatever" instead of being a decent human being.

Seems this article gave them the strength to come out of their hiding places, say their shit and hide again. fucking cowards.

They just wanna touch that line but not go over it. Why not just attend the Stormfront forums and speak freely there?

bionic77

I agree a bit with the pussy generation thing. So many people have started to get offended over everything the past couple of years. It's why I like the saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never harm me."
Being offended by racist and bigoted shit doesn't make you a pussy.

Smart is not the same thing as weak.

Guess you've never been name called, singled out and targeted for intimidation and bullying.

It sucks to see. Sucks worse when you're on the receiving end of it. I'd wager that it sucks even more when you're a member of a minority group that's being demonized.

But we should all just ignore it. That's worked oh so well historically.

Don't fret Clint. You really haven't got that much time left to spend being angry about how racism is frowned upon these days. It'll hopefully be frowned upon even further once you're in the ground, so you've not much to look forward to I'm afraid.

Pepboy

I find it hard to get worked up about things older people say when they're not politicians. Things were just different back then. We'll all be out of touch one day too.

My guess -- we get fat off the work of robots, which future generations begin to sympathize with and demand equal rights for, including self determination, full / free sentience, perhaps reparations.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Words have meaning. They can actually harm.
Fuck off with that empty platitude.

Reminder that white Americans in Clint Eastwood's young adult years would get so offended by the sight of a black man talking to a white woman that they would beat, kill, and lynch them in public for doing so. It was legal.

But yeah, people are pussies now for getting offended at racists saying racist shit.

I have a complicated relationship with political correctness. I don't think those who deride it want to be able to use it as an avenue for unfettered racism or bigotry. Personally I find PC language as a veneer of feel good bullshit designed to make people, usually above those or what it is they are describing to feel better about themselves.

Here is a small example. Saying a place is a slum instead of economically disadvantaged neighbourhood. Who are you protecting? Who is made to feel better? The severity of the problem is minimized. The situation seems controllable. Oh we just have to economically advantage it and it's singular problem will be solved. No, the place is a slum with the myriad of problems that word entails and we should be ashamed for its existence. Stop softening the issue.

Same could be said for using the term sex offender versus rapist. What would you rather hear to describe an actual rapist?

Clint's personal attitude is probably closer to that of his character in Gran Torino than anything else. A man who sees the world in good guys and bad guys and in clear right and wrong who doesn't like his world or personal rights infinged upon. He still sees the humanity in the other but wants and feels the need to push American values of strength and culture upon it.

That isn't what America is though by the book. That is just what a lot of it was in the past. There isn't anything that justifies racism or sexism and that is true whether PC culture exists or not. Don't forget it is called political because it is designed to sound as such with no concise leaning in one way or another, it serves as a veil.

The beauty of language and personal opinion still means that people can vocally disagree with you if you say something you shouldn't. Clint hasn't said anything racist to my knowledge. Remember that the man is an artist and artists in general hate walls placed infront of them that stops them from creating. Same thing is going on in stand up comedy.

See, I get why people might say this in some small respects. Like, certain issues don't really require "outrage" or whatever people wanna call reactions these days.

That being said, Clint is directly referring to racism and telling people to "get over it". Trying to skew this into some sort of overall PC discussion is pretty stupid. As a minority, I'm a little tired of people throwing that shit at me, and you'd think I'd have a right to be upset about that.

But nah, it's just about "thin skin or whatever" instead of being a decent human being.

They just wanna touch that line but not go over it. Why not just attend the Stormfront forums and speak freely there?

Of course they don't want to wake the sleeping bear, just poke it. Besides, their accounts mean more to them than the respect of minorities and the progress of society.

it turns out an 85 year old white man who starred in half a dozen Dirty Harry movies miiiiight not be a liberal after all, guyz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom