• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clint Eastwood praises Trump: "Just fucking get over it" (regarding racist comments)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackpot

Banned
But everybody — the press and everybody’s going, ‘Oh, well, that’s racist,’ and they’re making a big hoodoo out of it. Just f—king get over it. It’s a sad time in history.”

Just off the top of my head, "soft" racism (as in not the openly cross-burning type but the more pervasive low-level shift in attitude) means that:

Less likely for a therapist to want to give you treatment if you're black
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/01/he...ce-class-bias/

Get worse loan deals if you're black.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1179875

Get kept out of nightclubs if you're not black.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1246473

Everything from therapy to car insurance. At every level you are dealt a worse hand because of other people's bullshit prejudice. Picture your life if everything was 10% more difficult. "Just fucking get over it" my arse.

FStop7

Banned
This is what happens when a crusty old man can't tell the difference between reality and the characters he played in movies. Clint's lived in the lap of luxury in Carmel, California for over 30 years. He was a swimming instructor at Fort Ord while soldiers were fighting in Korea. He's about as hard as unicorn giggles.

Bummer. Clint is like Mel Gibson for me. Batshit crazed racists, but whose acting and directing I simply die for.

Goddamit Clint. I'm just disappointed that he starred in my two favorite westerns of all time: Unforgiven (directed too) and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Its sometimes hard to separate the man from his work.

kess

"Eastwood fondling Trumps tits live on stage"

clint_trump.jpg

why

kavanf1

You know there are old progressives right?

One's age is not an excuse for their viewpoint.

It's not an excuse, it's a reason. For every old progressive, there are a hundred set in their ways. That's just reality. There's no point being too idealistic about it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It's not an excuse, it's a reason. For every old progressive, there are a hundred set in their ways. That's just reality. There's no point being too idealistic about it.

Uhhh stats? sources? That's a pretty broad brush to paint it with as I know quite a few older progressive folks.

If there was a graph of this it would be like the older you get the less politically correct you get

Gavin McInnes, Mel Gibson, trump, Clint

People we think are cool now could total 180 once they're old enough

Dr.Acula

Banned
“You know, he’s a racist now because he’s talked about this judge. And yeah, it’s a dumb thing to say. I mean, to predicate your opinion on the fact that the guy was born to Mexican parents or something."

Predicating your opinion on the ethnicity of someone's parents is the exact definition of racism.

It's so weird how people want to be able to call people anything, but as soon as you call someone racist, it's super upsetting. People are calling each other Nazis, the anti-Christ, nigger, but hold-up, don't call people racist! Just go and be racist. Hold up your "go back to Syria" sign and shout, "I'm racist and proud!"

Order

Age doesn't make you racist. If you're racist when you're old, chances are you were racist when you were young.

Fuck him and anyone who agrees with him

When people like him talk about the "good old time" they mean the time when everyone was just openly racist, sexist and homophobic and nobody gave a shit, don't they?

A time when beeing stupid and ignorant didn't matter because nobody in your group called you out and you weren't confronted with differing opinions much anyways.

TalonJH

It's still a silly argument to excuse behaviour.

When I was growing up we all called things gay if we didn't like it. We grew up and realised that's not acceptable. We do not live in a vacuum and we adjust to progress.

Another old man yelling at the clouds. Just because it wasn't called racism when you were young, doesn't mean it wasn't. The United States is progressing and people like this old geezer need to step aside or die(ok, that's harsh but whatever).

rjinaz

"Eastwood fondling Trumps tits live on stage"

clint_trump.jpg

The most disturbing thing about this image is the hand. Also is that a woman's hand?

Anyway...

Starting to get tired of hearing from crotchety old men not able to let go of the good old days.

When people like him talk about the "good old time" they mean the time when everyone was just openly racist, sexist and homophobic and nobody gave a shit, don't they?

A time when beeing stupid and ignorant didn't matter because nobody in your group called you out and you weren't confronted with differing opinions much anyways.
Some times, man, I tell ya, things old farts say.... just makes one wish you could retire some old fucks just like you can retire old horses, It's the glue factory for you, Clint!

-MB-

Must be nice to be able to tell minorities to just "get over it" in regards to racism!

Quite funny, considering the alt-right who gobble all this up, can't get over it either.
It being the fact that racist bullshit isn't acceptable any,more these days.

We’re really in a pussy generation

I agree with you on that one, Clint. And between Clinton and Trump, I would rather have Trump mostly because of the chaos it would cause in the financial world and chaos is a chance to make money in the stock market, not that opportunities aren't popping out every now and then (Thanks UK for Brexit! I made almost as much money on a week that I would have done in months of trading)

More importantly, why should we have to lower our standards for public figures so that we must endure open buffoonery and racism? Can't we just, ya know, demand better and not vote for these people?

It's not like Trump was the most qualified, intelligent, or politically savvy person in the primary field.

I agree with you on that one, Clint. And between Clinton and Trump, I would rather have Trump mostly because of the chaos it would cause in the financial world and chaos is a change to make money in the stock market, not that opportunities aren't popping out every now and then (Thanks UK for Brexit! I made almost as much money on a week that I would have done in months of trading)

See, now this is the kind of cynical honesty I can deal with. It's not admirable, but at least you're not pretending that you don't know what Trump represents.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
People who are surprised by this have not been watching Clint Eastwood's terrible award-winning movies! Literally the text of all of them is that white men are great and everybody else should stay in their lane, also I guess Mystic River has a child molester for some reason.

How can you get that message from Gran Torino?

Clint's character literally sacrificies his life for a Hmong-American immigrant

I mean...
Clint Eastwood said:
Eastwood has stated he enjoyed the idea "that it dealt with prejudice, that it was about never being too old to learn
Sure, it has a fair bit of White Savior Syndrome, but it's a good effort.

Eastwood likely was, in his time, a progressive. He just failed to keep learning and moving the bar.

kavanf1

Uhhh stats? sources? That's a pretty broad brush to paint it with as I know quite a few older progressive folks.

Wrap it up folks, only 1% of us will turn up decent in our old days. Will you be THE ONE ?

What's defined as progressive is what changes. Clint may well have been considered progressive once upon a time.

Consider another Grandpa Simpson reference: "I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it*, and what's *it* seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you..."

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
We see people accusing people of being racist and all kinds of stuff. When I grew up, those things weren’t called racist.”

Ugh,

And isn't complaining about PC culture also making you a pussy?

More importantly, why should we have to lower our standards for public figures so that we must endure open buffoonery and racism? Can't we just, ya know, demand better and not vote for these people?

It's not like Trump was the most qualified, intelligent, or politically savvy person in the primary field.

'Trump has its problems, but at least he's openly racist'. Sadly that's the thought process of many people, whether they want to admit it or not.

Nothing irritates me more than the "Back in my day" complaints. I literally can't think of a better time to be alive than today as an American. Obviously there are places in this world in worse spots than maybe they once were, but you would have to have severe revisionist history to think anytime was better than today as a person living in the states.

That's why racism sticks out like a sore thumb and draws so much ire today. It is not because people are pussies it's because people doing racist things is so taboo it gets called out and rightfully so. Not to mention it is holding us back as a country, you know the one that claims all are created equal?

deli2000

He's right. Back in the old days there were only 4 elements, these days there's over a hundred! What was so bad about having 4 elements? Generation of pussies.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I wish someone would write a long, heavily-cited treatise on the "pussy generation" that doesn't make them sound like a fool.

"Haha ya new people r pussies" is getting old.

I agree with you on that one, Clint. And between Clinton and Trump, I would rather have Trump mostly because of the chaos it would cause in the financial world and chaos is a chance to make money in the stock market, not that opportunities aren't popping out every now and then (Thanks UK for Brexit! I made almost as much money on a week that I would have done in months of trading)

You are the kind of person I have nightmares about.

zelas

Bummer. Clint is like Mel Gibson for me. Batshit crazed racists, but whose acting and directing I simply die for.

Goddamit Clint. I'm just disappointed that he starred in my two favorite westerns of all time: Unforgiven (directed too) and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Its sometimes hard to separate the man from his work.
Not for me. I'm committed to never giving Gibson my money and now Eastwood. I have zero tolerance for such blatant racism.

Clint Eastwood is the perfect example of a human who got too old.

Yeah. I suspect this will happen to pretty much everyone on this site eventually. I'm sticking something on my calendar for when I turn 70 to never talk about politics or social sciences ever again so I can avoid being an embarrassing piece of shit. Then again, my Dad manages to get more liberal every year and he's 78, so maybe there's hope.

It's easy to disagree when someone says you shouldn't judge historical figures based against modern sensibilities, but the fact of the matter is we all have ungestated prejudices and things we haven't ever considered which will be more relevant 40 years from now which will make us look like ignorant dinosaurs. Nearly all of us will eventually be a disappointment to some later generation.

Then again we should all know already that the environmentally destructive consumer lifestyle we were born into and can't help but participate in guarantees we will be mocked for eternity by subsequent civilizations anyway.

commedieu

Banned

Back in the day when you'd be lynched for talking back.

Literally.

highrider

Banned
Sounds like something my dad would say. But, I mean Clint is kind of known to be that so I'm not taken aback by these comments.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

You aren't allowed to have Alt accounts Tabris.

rjinaz

Gross. But then, Capitalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom