• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europe-GAF: How are you coping with the heat?

womfalcs3

Banned
Looking at the weather.com forecasts:

In Berlin, Rome, and Paris, it's forecast to reach 100 F (37-38 C) by this weekend; it's close for today and tomorrow. It will consistently exceed 105 F (41 C) this week in Madrid. It will be around 90 F (31 C) in London on Saturday.

Stay hydrated!

Last edited:

IKSTUGA

Weather's pretty great in Finland actually. Not too hot or cold. Last summer was awful though, like 30+ for a month straight.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Horribly muggy in north England right now. Sweaty rain. Hate it. Either give me cold and rainy so I can wrap up or give me sunny and breezy.

klosos

It was pissing down with rain this morning 6-7 in London , now its just sticky ( if that makes sense ) i am not enjoying it at all

Tako Ou

Banned
It's 36~37°c right now. (south of France)
AC just died on us.
Fortunately our dev room is right next to the server room, and the server room has a dedicated independent AC.
This room is usually double locked (digicode + key), but I am guessing it's oddly going to stay widely open for as many days as it takes them to fix the AC.
Security has become a luxury.

Hudo

AC at work, which is cool. At home, I'm fucked. Had a moment with a girl outside, eating ice cream in that heat. Tried to play it cool but I was basically burning up inside... Not sure whether that was like a small date or not. She was completely unfazed by the heat, though. Maybe I hallucinated and talked to myself while eating ice cream?

J-Roderton

tumblr_lmijgva9DU1qi0peio1_500.png

julio_grr

AC in the office, so pretty much cool here.
Paris will get very hot before the end of the week. Shutters and windows closed, hopefully my apartment will keep the fresh air of the night till I get there on the evening.

Kadayi

Banned
Thankfully we have AC in the office but at home no such luck. Oppressive to say the least. I hope we see an end to it soon.

Breakage

My humidistat keeps turning my extractor fan on and off. I'm hoping it's just the high humidity in London and not a faulty sensor.

D-Dude

37c/98.6 in the Netherlands today... Way to hot for our little cold and rainy country.. Everybody here is complaining like crazy. But it is only today.. Rest of the week it is a bit colder. I sleep with a fan on!

Nuke the sun!

Alx

No AC at work. Other offices have it, but it broke down, so now everybody's begging to borrow our electric fans. Mwahahaha... NO !
Things were actually ok today, but the worst is yet to happen. We have a nice office with large windows and a pretty view on the landscape, but it also turns into an oven when sunlight hits.

haxan7

Banned
Yea, having no central AC blows. When I visit family in Italy I just can't do it. I have no clue how they do it.
I assumed it was just Northern Europe that didn’t have ac. Having heard how hot it gets in Italy during the summer I’m genuinely surprised they don’t have it.

bati

Temps are surprisingly bearable here in Eastern Europe. 34 today, which is well within the normal parameters I'm used to from back home. AC at work and home, can't really complain, plus next week the temps are supposed to drop to 25 :messenger_relieved:

Orpheum

Work is a nightmare after lunch. It's sort of bearable in the lab but hell in our office. I can't cope with heat that well and am most comfortable at temperatures around 22-25°C

Last edited:
I'm just dealing with it honestly...walking around sweaty and sticky. Can't be bothered to wash every 30 mins. I'd rather sweat naturally than have an AC blow on my head. Its pretty cool at work though so I'm fine there for 8 hours. At home no one to care if I'm slightly sweaty or sticky and the heat is not that bad to stop me from doing stuff.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
My ball sack is at a record low. No wrinkles at all. Wet towel around my neck helps me cope with the heat at home quite well.

Liljagare

Seems like it will miss Stockholm, Sweden, getting alot of rain.

Which is needed, after last summer and the almost no snow winter, the water table is waaaaay below normal. Wierd how it works, considering we are surrounded by lakes and water.

Going on Vacation next week though, luckily, a area of Spain that isn't getting hit, forecast is 27-30 c, which is just a nice summer day.. :p

Verdanth

Step out of my place its almost raining.

Comes lunch and its hot as hell. Wtf is this weather?

Still, in my country we are used to sunny days, so not a big of a deal.

#Adapt&Survive

Last edited:

Ellis

Muggy as shit here in South East England.

I can handle the daytime, but I struggle to sleep at night during the summer. I have been meaning to buy an air conditioning unit for the bedroom these past few years but I always forget and we end up with two 16'' fans on the go all night.

Most pre-WWII UK homes were built to keep the heat in, and with how the planet has warmed up over the decades, this is becoming inconvenient, to say the least.

Last edited:

Azzurri

I assumed it was just Northern Europe that didn’t have ac. Having heard how hot it gets in Italy during the summer I’m genuinely surprised they don’t have it.

It's way too expensive, that's why. My aunt has a outside wall unit that cools one room. They only keep it on for 2-3 hours a day because how expensive the electric bill would be. I leave mine on 24/7 and it cost me maybe $100 US. Where my family lives (Southern Italy) it would be like 1000 Euros if that was the case just for 1 room.

Last edited:
London was muggy last few days, it has cooled yesterday & today has a nice breeze, but you never know. Its nice here in z6 (Ruislip), I'd imagine the further you get into London the worst. Commute & tube are hell though in this weather.

I have no issue with daytime heat, but sleep is difficult when it's muggy.

Top Bottom