• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

What's your guys excuse for this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVc85Ppeqkc

Also it's pretty dumb how my 4i goes farther than my 3i as you can see lol.

Personally, I'd have shot the 4i with sbs on that one. Better stats on that club. That'd be a decent shot in OOB/WI but you're playing EG and we all know how PI hates you. You also might want to look closer at the green's slope (unless you already know it with that pin position) and come in with sidespin as well.

Additionally: yes, uneven club leveling is a huge problem, leaves gaps in your distance and is super dumb.

Serious question. Are there things they have yet to add to this game? I don't understand what some of the currency is used for.
It also seems like there are other activities around. Like planes... jet skis..????

Seriously.. nobody know or is it all just speculation?

Risk management from the previous seven games: "OK- this green's super fast and sloping majorly from left to right. I'm going to go for it on this approach, but I'd better aim left of the hole, use some sidespin and hit with PI or I could roll off the green altogether."

Risk management from this game: "Well, the green's flat and slow, and I'd like to go for it on this approach, but I could hit it perfect on bottom and wind up going in either direction. Or, I could miss on bottom, and it might go right to the stick. Hell, it doesn't really matter how I hit it. Fuck it. I'll just hit it and see what happens."

The fact that this is now my mindset has really soured me on this entry. I'm so bummed.

You do realize that the wind will carry a SW shot more than a driver ... right? Because from your comment it doesn't sound like you understand this.

The wind - barely above the weakest you get in he game - was 45 degrees, not a cross wind.
You of all people in this topic are most obsessed with this additional uncertainty the game imposes for backspin but you aimed where the tiny variation can cause the most stress.

Your attitude seems to be that you think you figured out the past engine to millimeters - when clearly there always were RNG effects - and you are clouding up this topic with endless posts on this change.

Just play the game as though it were the first one and learn to accommodate the risks. the top scoring players are clearly capable of stringing together chains of eagles over 9 or 18 holes so clearly they adapted ok. Personally I think a bit more unpredictability is needed because otherwise it's just everybodies spreadsheet.

I used the 3i so that I could get the stats up.

Distance was perfect though.

Yeah, you nailed the distance. It was a good shot. I guess you made a choice between leveling up and making the shot... again we see the problem with introducing club leveling.

I definitely would come in with sidespin from the left to have a nicer approach to the pin but hard to fault the shot over the game

Heel

What's your guys excuse for this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVc85Ppeqkc

Also it's pretty dumb how my 4i goes farther than my 3i as you can see lol.

It looks like the game has the potential to (term) your ball to the left or right, and it ended up (terming) right where there was no green because you put your cursor where there was the potential for that outcome.

Risk management from the previous seven games: "OK- this green's super fast and sloping majorly from left to right. I'm going to go for it on this approach, but I'd better aim left of the hole, use some sidespin and hit with PI or I could roll off the green altogether."

Risk management from this game: "Well, the green's flat and slow, and I'd like to go for it on this approach, but I could hit it perfect on bottom and wind up going in either direction. Or, I could miss on bottom, and it might go right to the stick. Hell, it doesn't really matter how I hit it. Fuck it. I'll just hit it and see what happens."

Haha, I'll have to play the old games and behold perfection in order to empathize, I guess.

Maybe it's just me...but all this ever adds up to is "I know in my heart of hearts that would've cupped if the impact was on line for my Albatross, but now I have to hit a 12 foot putt for Eagle."

We should all play online sometime and console each other over only scoring -11 on the back 9.

It looks like the game has the potential to (term) your ball to the left or right, and it ended up (terming) right where there was no green because you put your cursor where there was the potential for that outcome.

Haha, I'll have to play the old games and behold perfection in order to empathize, I guess.

Maybe it's just me...but all this ever adds up to is "I know in my heart of hearts that would've cupped if the impact was on line for my Albatross, but now I have to hit a 12 foot putt for Eagle."

We should all play online sometime and console each other over only scoring -11 on the back 9.

You should definitely play OOB or WI. They are basically perfect. That said, add me on PSN, sway is what it is and as long as music is off for courses 2/4/6 and on for 1/3, you won't hear me complain.

kenta

Has no PEINS
The wind - barely above the weakest you get in he game - was 45 degrees, not a cross wind.
You of all people in this topic are most obsessed with this additional uncertainty the game imposes for backspin but you aimed where the tiny variation can cause the most stress.

Your attitude seems to be that you think you figured out the past engine to millimeters - when clearly there always were RNG effects - and you are clouding up this topic with endless posts on this change.

Just play the game as though it were the first one and learn to accommodate the risks. the top scoring players are clearly capable of stringing together chains of eagles over 9 or 18 holes so clearly they adapted ok. Personally I think a bit more unpredictability is needed because otherwise it's just everybodies spreadsheet.
Surely there's a better way to implement randomness than by allowing otherwise perfectly-timed shots to be sabotaged by a random number on a scale of 1 to 100, right? Maybe if it's a perfect impact, allow a random number between 35 and 65 to weigh on the trajectory? But to have the ball contact the face of the club at the very extremes after a perfect impact is pretty silly. That's something that should be factored in for a red-zone impact (also note that I said "perfectly-timed", not "perfectly-aimed")

Anyway, I liked the progression of the previous games a lot, and I wouldn't characterize it as Everybody's Spreadsheets (I only played 2 previous HSG games though)

They could address that quickly with the improvements I suggested in this post.

This isn't about shooting -11 on the back 9. As a matter of fact, I think scores would go up if the bullets from my post were implemented. These courses are way too easy for people to be running around with clubs this long and this accurate. Trying to bridge that gap by introducing a new random number generator mechanic is...not the way to go, IMO.

Yeah, I think in previous games your concern was addressed by graded tournaments, and that's what we're missing currently. You'd only play against the top players in an occasional GF tournament, which wouldn't affect rank. It feels like they blue shelled backspin unnecessarily. Personally, I don't think backspin sway is as big a dealbreaker as some have made it. I just use backspin a bit less and I've only noticed once or twice a sway into water or bunker on PI. The biggest issues I see right now are grinding clubs and lack of graded tourneys.
Hmmm, maybe I don't experience it like some are because I almost always fade or draw my shots off the tee. I never use backspin with my woods in real life and dont in this game. My wedges here almost never hit off-center and my PI is usually great. I've always approached hsg like real golf and don't really expect to nail all my chip-Ins or stick the green with my driver from the fairway.

This isn't about shooting -11 on the back 9. As a matter of fact, I think scores would go up if the bullets from my post were implemented. These courses are way too easy for people to be running around with clubs this long and this accurate. Trying to bridge that gap by introducing a new random number generator mechanic is...not the way to go, IMO.

I'll drink a cold Schraderbrau to this

Another one just happened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTnKgfPfyWc

Note where it hits the ball on the club tip. So what, we aren't supposed to try and use backspin on approach shots with irons either?
It's definitely in line with the yellow box in all your vids. I dont know what else to say. Luckily you didn't go off the cliff considering the slope and that your box was partly off the edge. I would have used side or diagonal spin, tbh.
Use the entire yellow box as a guide and not solely the blue marker.

Heel

Surely there's a better way to implement randomness than by allowing otherwise perfectly-timed shots to be sabotaged by a random number on a scale of 1 to 100, right? Maybe if it's a perfect impact, allow a random number between 35 and 65 to weigh on the trajectory? But to have the ball contact the face of the club at the very extremes after a perfect impact is pretty silly. That's something that should be factored in for a red-zone impact (also note that I said "perfectly-timed", not "perfectly-aimed")

Anyway, I liked the progression of the previous games a lot, and I wouldn't characterize it as Everybody's Spreadsheets (I only played 2 previous HSG games though)

A fair compromise, mentioned it earlier. I don't even think the current scale of variance is spot on or great, I'm just able to:

A) See why they would do it
B) Adjust accordingly in my play

I wouldn't mind playing tougher courses with a smaller variance on impact. Having to grind toward perfection on control doesn't seem like it would be great at grouping scores, though. They clearly want to make Everybody's Golf, not Grizzled Hot Shot Player's Golf.

Not that the current iteration is doing much. Game is too easy to be complaining about 10 yards.

Yes. When you're aware of the potential to sway to the right, it's an assessed risk. I'm actually surprised he didn't fall off the cliff.
lol yea except it could easily just gone left for no fucking reason. Guess you should just lay up all the time guys!

purbeast

Imagine playing Crown Links with this variance. That course has greens that are smaller than the yellow box that are basically mounds with the pin location in the top middle.

Maybe that is why all of the courses in this game (per what others have said as I don't know if I have them all unlocked) are a walk in the park because of this dumb implementation. They clearly have gone after the casual mobile market so they had to make the game easy peasy for the masses I guess.

I personally like to be challenged in a game, and randomness isn't challenging.

bosh

It's definitely in line with the yellow box in all your vids. I dont know what else to say. Luckily you didn't go off the cliff considering the slope and that your box was partly off the edge. I would have used side or diagonal spin, tbh.

I think the better question is where they think it should land. It went into the area they aimed for and they didn't like the result as also with the other videos.

purbeast

That's not true at all. The very first video I posted, it lands way right of the yellow box.

That's not true at all. The very first video I posted, it lands way right of the yellow box.
When I play golf, I typically aim for an area about that size and take into account all nearby hazards, Sooo... Yes
Not where it first hits and wind + superbackspin, and the ground were obviously factors too

That is fucking ridiculous.
Assuming a wind direction of 195 degrees that's a 0.6 m/s cross wind?
Dunno about you but if I was shooting at the flag with a
0.6 m/s cross wind showing I would not bother to adjust the aim at all. Especially if I want the ball to end up on the green for sure.

Rflagg

Haha Feels this way often to me as well.

Get'sMad

was shooting my best round ever online

lining up a putt on 18 for an eagle to close it out

*taps x to start swing* *taps x agai....*

*DISCONNECTED FROM SERVER*

god damn it.....

Mine is also blank with just a "?". I've tried playing offline tournies and online tournies, fishing etc. and no joy.

The VS match glitches are becoming a bit of a pain.
So how do you get Revenge VS characters to appear if you've failed at Rank 7? Is it bugged?

Thought maybe you had to wait until the next day to try them again, but they're gone and aren't reappearing after completing tournaments. Now it's just a question mark.
Ah man, anyone had a VS special revenge disappear? I had the karting guy for the second time but after I entered the match I realised I needed to warm up, so quit out to play a tournament and return later. When I quit out though, the character disappeared. Anyone know if these special revenge characters are a one chance for the day?
I wanted to try to follow up on these. Is the vs character disappearing off the stage a bug? I lost against a revenge opponent, and their icon is still up in the corner and the stage has the "challenger is here!" banners up on the sides but it's empty. Reloading save, restarting game, doing an event, all of it, nothing fixed it.

Heel

I wanted to try to follow up on these. Is the vs character disappearing off the stage a bug? I lost against a revenge opponent, and their icon is still up in the corner and the stage has the "challenger is here!" banners up on the sides but it's empty. Reloading save, restarting game, doing an event, all of it, nothing fixed it.

I don't think it's bugged, just poorly explained (or not explained at all, really...haha). Seems like you get one chance a day, and also a chance that no one shows up at all on a given day.

You can also try this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=248328092&postcount=2279

TFGB

Close the game at the end of your session, wait till the following day and it should reset itself. If a character then doesn't appear, keep restarting the application until one shows.

After that, backup your save at the end of every day's session. If you then quit out of a revenge VS match, lose, or feel you are going to lose, then you can simply reload your safe save and you get another chance to play a revenge VS character. (The characters are random btw.)

If again a character doesn't appear after you've loaded your save, just keep reloading until one appears.

So did someone manage to do the condors yet? Don't care about the trophy but I would like to beat all VS characters.
Is there a recommended distance for your driver? It would obviously be a lot easier if you can just max your power, my 372/382y custom set 1 is too powerful. Building my second set now and will go power/control but it would be nice to have a guideline for the max distance.

Ugh, Maritta is my nemesis, last gallery member I need in the special rank, must have finished 5 times now with 2 strokes ahead instead of 3 lol.

krae_man

Man the game cheats sometimes. I was playing I forget who on the VS ranks and the conditions were +1 Bunker, +1 Rough.

Every time he shanked a shot what he landed on was considered "bare ground".

One time it was a foot off the fringe and where he landed was green. How is that not rough?

Still won 2 up.

So what does perfect impact actually grant you in this game? If there's so much variance, what does it actually do for you?

Well, unless there's been new info drop in the last day that I haven't seen, PI works as it has in the past except when using backspin. Basically, backspin is what introduces the new layer of RNG. So, you need to keep that in mind on approach shots and weigh your options carefully if deciding to use any backspin. Running up to the hole may be a better option in many cases rather than playing above it.

Absolutely blows that they did this, but we've got to adapt and deal with it for the time being.

In general how is the image quality and overall graphics on Pro? Are they patching the game at all?

A nice step up from standard, IMO. I may be in the minority, but I prefer the bump in IQ of 4K over the 60fps option, especially since the shot meter is 60fps regardless. I also played the game on a standard PS at a friend's house, and came away convinced that the framerate is actually better on a Pro in 4K mode than it is on a standard model. Noticeably smoother to my eye. The HDR looks really nice in this game as well.

bosh

Man the game cheats sometimes. I was playing I forget who on the VS ranks and the conditions were +1 Bunker, +1 Rough.

Every time he shanked a shot what he landed on was considered "bare ground".

One time it was a foot off the fringe and where he landed was green. How is that not rough?

Still won 2 up.

Haha I remember they did the same as well. I guess there has to be grass for it to be "rough" but why not just count that in the +1 category as well.

krae_man

Buy another set of custom clubs with 50 gems and build that one up and see if it improves on what you already have. That way you don't have to worry about ending up worse.

purbeast

Well, unless there's been new info drop in the last day that I haven't seen, PI works as it has in the past except when using backspin. Basically, backspin is what introduces the new layer of RNG. So, you need to keep that in mind on approach shots and weigh your options carefully if deciding to use any backspin. Running up to the hole may be a better option in many cases rather than playing above it.

That's not been my experience. Even without putting any spin and nailing PI, the impact spot on the club head is not in the center of the club I'd say about 75% of the time. It get's exaggerated when using backspin a bit more, if it feels like it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I've just unlocked the Alpine course after getting to tournament level 4 and player level 10.

Is it right that I still can't add backspin to shots? When does that unlock?

It's crazy that I need to wait this long... I've put in about 6 hours so far. Couldn't you do backspin immediately in previous games?

purbeast

I've just unlocked the Alpine course after getting to tournament level 4 and player level 10.

Is it right that I still can't add backspin to shots? When does that unlock?

It's crazy that I need to wait this long... I've put in about 6 hours so far. Couldn't you do backspin immediately in previous games?

You can do backspin immediately. Most clubs will have low level backspin though so you won't get it as much.

Only thing you can't do until you unlock are the special shots like homing/spiral/rising and I think ultra spin, although I haven't gotten to the point where they tell you about it so I'm not sure about that.

Top Bottom