• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf |OT| We'll miss you Hot Shots Golf

sphinx

the piano man
ok I need some serious advice to start enjoying this game and I think GAF is my only hope cause I am not sure there's a thorough instruction site/booklet anywhere that can help me. Questions are bolded so if you feel like answering one, you can keep it in sight.

.- how exactly am I supposed to "give the ball more/less lift"??

Hole 1 in the Alpine course, for example, my 1W supposedly should be able to reach the green on my first shot but the green is way too high, above normal altitude (the arrow in red in the middle and up the screen tells me) to reach with standard shots. I thought keeping the D-pad pressed down as I get PI would make me hit the ball below its center, thus giving it the lift it's asking for, but nothing happens.. and I always miss. how can I influence lift??

.- Just how strong are winds in this game??

I've noticed that anything below 2.0 and the wind will barely influence the shot. For Par 3 shots and winds going from 0.0 to 1.5 (barely any influence) would you "leave it there" or would move slightly to compensate for the wind? also.. with winds of 4.00, would you move a whole square in the orientation grid to the opposite of the wind?

.- should I grind my clubs in lower tournaments?

my 1W is maxed but others aren't and control, back spin and back door are rather low on all clubs. I suspect that I'd have easier time if all my clubs were more reliable, since the game is starting to get very punishing (miss the PI by ANY measure and it goes straight to O.B., water or bunker)

.- early-mid game, what are the better clubs and balls?

I use the 5th set of clubs that have power and control but hard impact, is any of the choices better? As for the ball I use the standard one but I should probably use a better one, just don't know which one... any recommendations? all those balls for roughs, bunkers and stuff, I am not supposed to land there in the first place so I stick to the standard one.

thanks for any help, I'd really appreciate it!

DrDamn

.- how exactly am I supposed to "give the ball more/less lift"??

Hole 1 in the Alpine course, for example, my 1W supposedly should be able to reach the green on my first shot but the green is way too high, above normal altitude (the arrow in red in the middle and up the screen tells me) to reach with standard shots. I thought keeping the D-pad pressed down as I get PI would make me hit the ball below its center, thus giving it the lift it's asking for, but nothing happens.. and I always miss. how can I influence lift??

Hit it further than you expect is the best solution if possible. A good rule of thumb is to allow an extra yard for each yard up (and conversely remove a yard for each yard down). So for a shot to the hole which is 150yds away and 10yds up then try hitting the ball 160yds. If it's 150yds away and 10yds down then try hitting the ball 140yds.

Backspin may help you carry further if there is a good wind behind you, topspin may help you go further on landing - but it depends on the landing conditions. So it's better to adjust your power for big elevation difference.

sphinx

the piano man
Hit it further than you expect is the best solution if possible. A good rule of thumb is to allow an extra yard for each yard up (and conversely remove a yard for each yard down). So for a shot to the hole which is 150yds away and 10yds up then try hitting the ball 160yds. If it's 150yds away and 10yds down then try hitting the ball 140yds.

Backspin may help you carry further if there is a good wind behind you, topspin may help you go further on landing - but it depends on the landing conditions. So it's better to adjust your power for big elevation difference.

I suspected as much but... why wouldn't the game tell it as it is?

since when is "give the ball more lift" the same as "hit the ball harder"? pretty confusing.

I thought the game wanted me to literally lift the ball more, like make it go more vertically instead of straight forward.

Hmm, I feel like my repaired custom set broke down faster than the first time. I also recall an npc saying that this would indeed happen and that it might be better to recycle.
This is dangerous and pretty scummy as you're looking at 110 gems to get your set back. This isn't made by activision right?

purbeast

I suspected as much but... why wouldn't the game tell it as it is?

since when is "give the ball more lift" the same as "hit the ball harder"? pretty confusing.

I thought the game wanted me to literally lift the ball more, like make it go more vertically instead of straight forward.

The distance shown that your club will go as far as what the cursor shows is the distance it would go in a vacuum. As in, that's the distance it would go starting with a perfect lie, no wind, a flat surface, hitting it perfectly straight at 100%. All of the other stuff such as elevation, wind, lie, landing surface, etc, you have to adjust for yourself and change where your target is based off of that.

hort22

so what am i not doing here...i am in the special rank or whatever its called past 6 and the vs box just has a question mark in it...and noone has appeared for 3 days.

when do they start showing up?

also in the encyclopedia im missing #6 and #11...who are they and or how do i find them?

krae_man

so what am i not doing here...i am in the special rank or whatever its called past 6 and the vs box just has a question mark in it...and noone has appeared for 3 days.

also in the encyclopedia im missing #6 and #11...who are they and or how do i find them?

They have been showing up once per day for me.

Side note: Man going to all 14 open courses for the gems takes FOREVER. Not spend money on tickets forever, more like I'm going to give up on custom clubs at some point forever.

surrogate

I'm missing #6 too. #11 is "Sayuri - A member of the Golf Island staff who supervises fishing." My friend plays the fishing part of the game, so I'm not sure which fishing spot he found her.

hort22

They have been showing up once per day for me.

Side note: Man going to all 14 open courses for the gems takes FOREVER. Not spend money on tickets forever, more like I'm going to give up on custom clubs at some point forever.

ok ill keep at it i guess

hort22

I'm missing #6 too. #11 is "Sayuri - A member of the Golf Island staff who supervises fishing." My friend plays the fishing part of the game, so I'm not sure which fishing spot he found her.

aaahhhh fishing...makes sense...i haven't done any of that yet.

Heel

Which hole to look for items is actually predictable, which makes it a lot easier for me when I feel like doing it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=248041979&postcount=2038

"For now, there is a pattern to what holes get the gems/coins/items on the open courses. All you need to do is go to Eagle OUT and find it there. Once you know that you can figure out where it will be on each other course. With this you should get enough gems for a full set of custom clubs in 4 days just from the free ones not even including any you get from playing tournaments. The reason is there are 2 gems icons on each hole that has items and there is a chance the the icon will give 2 gems
If you just add 10 holes to where it is on the Eagle OUT that is where it will be on the IN. If you add 2 holes that is where it will be on the next (Alpine) OUT. You then add 10 to that OUT to get the Alpine in.
For example today on Eagle OUT the items are on hole 6. That means on Eagle IN they are on hole 16. (6+10)
For Alpine OUT you the add 2 to hole 6 and the items are on hole 8. Add 10 to the 8 to get 18 for the Alpine IN.
For the Beach OUT you add 2 to the 8 from Alpine and get 1. OK this I will explain. If you add 2 to 8 you obviously get 10 but since there is only 9 holes on OUT it rolls over to 1. Add 10 to Beach OUT and the items are on hole 11 for Beach IN.
Going from there the items on the rest are Vortex OUT - 3 Vortex IN- 13
Imperial OUT - 5 Imperial IN - 15
Green OUT -7 Green IN - 17
I don't have Balata yet to verify but I would get they are on Balata OUT - 9 Balata IN - 10 (9+10 is 19 but again rolls over to 10 since 18 is max hole)"

Setzer

I tried playing online on an Open Course and it was laggy as fuck. Is it like that for everyone?

It varies for me. Sometimes when I teleport in it will be super laggy....like <10fps. So I'll port back to my home area and then try again and usually the second time things run much smoother.

bobohoro

Is anyone else getting an awful lot of putter rank boni for defeating revenge characters?
Feels kinda mean to give them away at the end game for the one club so easily maxed, while others who need it (Woods and BackDoor, Wedges and Power) rarely see one. Is it totally random what you get?

And I really don't feel like running around open courses to get gems. By now I'm just playing the daily revenge character, doing the daily online challenge and turn it off after 18 holes to do something else.

The guy who found out where the gems are is awesome but it still takes a shitload of time to collect them on 6 courses (if you pre-ordered lol) as you have to go back to your home area to load the next 9h at an average of 2 gems/9H. Endgame to compete online is pretty disgusting. Might as well throw the online portion in the F2P section.
And we don't even have the online tournaments like EG5/6. :(

505zoom

Now that I've leveled most of my clubs up to 15 control I wanted to weigh back in on the RNG/PI stuff.

For starters, even with maxed control you still VERY rarely get zero sway on any shot with any degree of backspin. It still seems just as random as it was before maxing out control as far as the degree of miss goes.

With that said, it does seem better now on shots with any degree of topspin. I have gotten into the habit of using super or ultra topspin off the tee with 3w and driver, whereas when I started I was still in the habit from the old games of using backspin to increase carry and make it sit when cutting doglegs so it wouldn't run through the fairway. I'd say in about 90% of the cases in this game, you can do a combo top/side ultra/super spin and get it to stay in the fairway.

Approach shots are much the same, where instead of trying to stuff it and make it sit I am just playing for more roll and using no spin or top spin to keep the sway down.

The end result for the top tier of players will end up not changing much.

It really is like they have purely nerfed the backspin component of this game, and I think it is a silly thing to do. It very much reminds me of the groove rule change from a few years back in real golf.

For those of you not familiar with that, the rule makers (USGA and R&A) decided that the pro's scores were getting too low, and after looking at the data decided that a big part of it was that the grooves on irons and wedges had gotten too aggressive and allowed the pros to put too much spin on the ball on approach shots. Their solution was to "roll back" the groove rules to make the ball have less spin, forcing the club manufacturers to spend untold millions to retool their plants, and forced anyone playing competitively to buy new clubs, which led to a bunch of legal drama.

In the end, the grooves were dialed back, and the data after the first 2 years showed that not only did it not have the intended effect, it actually made the pros even BETTER in the proximity to hole stat. Lol. All they did was adjust their approaches and when needed, they used higher trajectory to stop the ball quickly versus pure spin.

Nowadays it's even more comical, because the manufacturers have found new ways to get around the new wording of the rule and the ball is back to spinning just as much as (or more than) it was before. So they effectively made the pros better by forcing them to think of more creative ways to stop the ball quickly, which also led to them practicing more to get used to the new clubs, and then it all ended up moot anyway when the technology caught back up to where it was before.

I think this new sway mechanic is just as stupid as the USGA/R&A ruling was back then, and just like in the real world case, I don't think it's going to have any measurable effect on keeping the top level players from scoring the way they do. It's just a bad move and adds a level of RNG where it wasn't needed or (for most of us) wanted.

purbeast

While I think the change they made to the backspin is one of the worst decisions they have made to this game and in the long run is going to ruin it's longevity, I will say that last night I played quite a bit of rounds and I was doing super back/side spin at the same time and I noticed A LOT less balls being hit off the tip or hozzle of the club head. But that doesn't solve the problem - there are plenty of times that I want to just add backspin to get the extra height/carry and it simply isn't worth the risk.

krae_man

Finally got a hole in one today. Took way longer then it should have due to club sway and me not using backspin because of it.

Now just need that condor and grind out a spiral shot.

purbeast

Played like 5 more 18 hole rounds today and some vs modes, and on approach shots I'm using super side/back spin and having MUCH better accuracy to the point it's almost feeling like OOB, so it's been more enjoyable for sure.

I beat rank 6 and finally introduced to custom clubs. So where the hell do you get gems from? And these clubs can "break" so you have to build them again? It's really starting to be more and more like a pay to win game at this point if that is all true.

505zoom

So where the hell do you get gems from? And these clubs can "break" so you have to build them again? It's really starting to be more and more like a pay to win game at this point if that is all true.

It's not bad at all and I strongly disagree with all the P2W talk. It's a little bit of a grind sure, but I can get the gems from all 14 open course 9's in less than an hour. If you do them once a day you'll have more than enough gems to outpace the wear and tear and won't ever have to spend any actual money. You also get them from the Rank 7 tourneys so you'll have a nice stash of them by the time you're done with the gallery collection.

Also, you can have 2 sets of custom clubs at any given time. You can upgrade them however you want, but full distance is obviously the way to go. It might take awhile playing with the Big Air clubs before you can upgrade both sets fully, but by then you should never have to worry about wearing out a set before you have enough gems to fully refresh them again.

Here's how to get them:

Go to course 1 (out) in the online open mode and search around. I like to use the overhead view and keep an eye out for a bunch of people running around (you can also sometimes see the coins from the air). After you find the hole that the coins/medals/gems/etc are on, just cruise around that hole and collect them. There will be 2 separate gems (each will randomly give you x1 or x2 gems), 2 medals, a prize box, 1-3 assorted balls, and a bunch of coins. After you find an item, the top center of the screen will display a flag with the hole number on it and "found" written next to it. When you have found everything that will switch to "ALL". I personally only search for the gems because I have over 80k coins and don't really use them for anything other than shuffling tourney mode participants and fishing.

So once you're done with course 1 (out), head back to the home area and then go to course 1 (in). Take whatever hole you just found them on and add 10 to it, and that will be where they are on the back 9. When you're done there, go to course 2 (out), and add 2 to the course 1 (out) item hole. Lather/rinse/repeat all the way through the rest of the courses.

Below is an example chart.

Course 1

Out - hole 2 / In - hole 12

Course 2

Out - hole 4 / In - hole 14

Course 3

Out - hole 6 / In - hole 16

Course 4

Out - hole 8 / In - hole 18

Course 5

Out - hole 1 / In - hole 11

Course 6

Out - hole 3 / In - hole 13

Course 7

Out - hole 5 / In - hole 15

Notice there on course 5 how it switches back to hole 1... this is because you would add 2 to 8 and get 10, but since there isn't a hole 10 on the front 9 it starts over and becomes hole 1. The same type of thing happens when you start off on the front 9 of course 1 with an odd number, which would look like this:

Course 1

Course 2

Out - hole 7 / In - hole 17

Course 3

Out - hole 9 / In - hole 10

Course 4

Course 5

Course 6

Course 7

Adding 2 to 17 gives you 19, so it carries back over and becomes 10. And adding 2 to 9 gives you 11, which turns back around into 2.

Hope this helps, and happy huntin!

Really liking the game more than I thought I would. Any way to get the DLC courses for a bit less? Especially the pre-order course? Was late to the party buying the game.

bosh

Update 1.06 just started downloading. I hope they fixed the frame rate issues in open courses. It's 538 MB.

We can only hope! Not sure what happened, maybe the game got more popular ? First week was fine. The last two times online it's been really laggy

purbeast

It's not bad at all and I strongly disagree with all the P2W talk. It's a little bit of a grind sure, but I can get the gems from all 14 open course 9's in less than an hour. If you do them once a day you'll have more than enough gems to outpace the wear and tear and won't ever have to spend any actual money. You also get them from the Rank 7 tourneys so you'll have a nice stash of them by the time you're done with the gallery collection.

Also, you can have 2 sets of custom clubs at any given time. You can upgrade them however you want, but full distance is obviously the way to go. It might take awhile playing with the Big Air clubs before you can upgrade both sets fully, but by then you should never have to worry about wearing out a set before you have enough gems to fully refresh them again.

Here's how to get them:

Go to course 1 (out) in the online open mode and search around. I like to use the overhead view and keep an eye out for a bunch of people running around (you can also sometimes see the coins from the air). After you find the hole that the coins/medals/gems/etc are on, just cruise around that hole and collect them. There will be 2 separate gems (each will randomly give you x1 or x2 gems), 2 medals, a prize box, 1-3 assorted balls, and a bunch of coins. After you find an item, the top center of the screen will display a flag with the hole number on it and "found" written next to it. When you have found everything that will switch to "ALL". I personally only search for the gems because I have over 80k coins and don't really use them for anything other than shuffling tourney mode participants and fishing.

So once you're done with course 1 (out), head back to the home area and then go to course 1 (in). Take whatever hole you just found them on and add 10 to it, and that will be where they are on the back 9. When you're done there, go to course 2 (out), and add 2 to the course 1 (out) item hole. Lather/rinse/repeat all the way through the rest of the courses.

Below is an example chart.

Course 1

Course 2

Course 3

Course 4

Course 5

Out - hole 1 / In - hole 11

Course 6

Out - hole 3 / In - hole 13

Course 7

Notice there on course 5 how it switches back to hole 1... this is because you would add 2 to 8 and get 10, but since there isn't a hole 10 on the front 9 it starts over and becomes hole 1. The same type of thing happens when you start off on the front 9 of course 1 with an odd number, which would look like this:

Course 1

Course 2

Out - hole 7 / In - hole 17

Course 3

Out - hole 9 / In - hole 10

Course 4

Course 5

Course 6

Course 7

Adding 2 to 17 gives you 19, so it carries back over and becomes 10. And adding 2 to 9 gives you 11, which turns back around into 2.

Hope this helps, and happy huntin!

Thanks for all of that info that will really help.

That said, this sounds awful that you have to do this shit just to basically "maintain" custom clubs. This is such a waste of time just to be able to have a set of clubs you can use. I don't have an hour a day to just look for gems in order to keep up. I already dislike all of the non-golf stuff you have to do in this game. I just want to play golf, and now it just makes it that much harder to do just that.

All this gem hunting is doing is literally a waste of time. Like why search for gems and spend time finding them? There's literally no benefit for them making you waste hours walking around a golf course to find gems. It's not even fun, it's just a waste of time. It's just like how you have to find the P shots on the ground in the home base. It's completely and utterly pointless and a waste of time that serves no point.

I may be dropping this game sooner than I thought. I'm glad I only paid $12 for it.

krae_man

Does it bother anyone else that the game doesn't tell you how you did fairway hits and par pace wise for your round anymore. It just tells you how that round impacted your average.

Seems like a weird change. I was wondering why my percentages were always a couple tenths off the average.

hort22

Does it bother anyone else that the game doesn't tell you how you did fairway hits and par pace wise for your round anymore. It just tells you how that round impacted your average.

Seems like a weird strange. I was wondering why my percentages were always a couple tenths off the average.

yes...that and the PI of each round...was always nice to know that stat as well after a good round.

LoveCake

Just ordered this, not played a golf game in a while but played a previous version, and a heads up 'The Game Collection' have this on sale at £21.95!

I will add myself to the GAF Club to get some games.

krae_man

I just read that balls don't get used up if you do a one hole round.

Guess I'm using one of my triple precision balls next Condor hunt!

hort22

I just read that balls don't get used up if you do a one hole round.

Guess I'm using one of my triple precision balls next Condor hunt!

interesting...where did you find the triple pre ball...i dont have one yet.

havent played on the new update yet...did they patch the funny round circle of long grass around the holes yet?

krae_man

interesting...where did you find the triple pre ball...i dont have one yet.

havent played on the new update yet...did they patch the funny round circle of long grass around the holes yet?

I got a couple as a prize for winning a rank 7 tournament. And I think I got one fishing as well.

purbeast

Just played my first special rank revenge vs character. It went to 13 holes and she holed out 5 holes for eagle and I don't mean little chip shots, and had a hole in one. Really stupid AI but I won since it was tornado cup.

Got no gems, then played a 9 hole tourney and shot a -12 to win by 1 stroke. Only got 2 gems for that.

How many gems do you need to make a custom set of clubs?

The way this is going I'm not liking it so far...

krae_man

Just played my first special rank revenge vs character. It went to 13 holes and she holed out 5 holes for eagle and I don't mean little chip shots, and had a hole in one. Really stupid AI but I won since it was tornado cup.

Got no gems, then played a 9 hole tourney and shot a -12 to win by 1 stroke. Only got 2 gems for that.

How many gems do you need to make a custom set of clubs?

The way this is going I'm not liking it so far...

Collect them from the open courses. You can get 30 a day that way. Maybe more if you have the dlc courses.

sphinx

the piano man
I wonder if anyone here has the same problem...

my PSN account is Mexican (that's my nationality) but my PS4 and my EG game are German (I live here)

the thing is that a PSN account and a game disc have to be of the some region when it comes to the PSN store... so what happens is that I can't buy anything on the store online, it's always empty, it's locked.

anyone dealing with this?

fuck PSN and their online region locking seriously

Ostinatto

Who wants to play some holes now?

i dont get how the OP players list works, i dont wanna add 200 players to my friend list , i dont have the time xD

sphinx

the piano man
Got the fishing trophy.

Some of those fish were a pain in the ass.

wow you must be one of the very few in the world right now

do tell... for a complete list of fishes, online is required, right? I am reading some fishes are only attainable in the online courses.

krae_man

110 for the upgrades but you first need 50 to buy a set.

You can have up to 5 custom club sets. 1 is given for free after finishing the third rank 6 match play. Two can be bought for 50 gems, and the final two can be purchased on the Playstation Store.

wow you must be one of the very few in the world right now

do tell... for a complete list of fishes, online is required, right? I am reading some fishes are

only attainable in the online courses.

Yes you are correct. You need to go to the online courses to get them all

Fishing level maxes out at 30 Add 20 for renting the most expensive rod and you get a combine level of 50. You are going to need that for the harder fish.

You can collect like 80% of the fish right away after you beat the fisherman in match play and he teaches you how to fish.

You can go into the fish list for each fishing area and it will tell you what fish are available in it. Use that to track what you still need to catch. The lines that are just ??? are super rare fish and you can only get those after you've beat the fisherman in match play a second time and he gives you better bait you can buy.

Make sure to check all 3 fishing areas in each course and slowly work your way through and build up your fishing level. Once you've caught everything but the ??? fish, you'll have to wait until they unlock, but you should probably do a bit of grinding to max you level before you get there. I just did one level a day.

sphinx

the piano man
Yes you are correct. You need to go to the online courses to get them all

Fishing level maxes out at 30 Add 20 for renting the most expensive rod and you get a combine level of 50. You are going to need that for the harder fish.

You can collect like 80% of the fish right away after you beat the fisherman in match play and he teaches you how to fish.

You can go into the fish list for each fishing area and it will tell you what fish are available in it. Use that to track what you still need to catch. The lines that are just ??? are super rare fish and you can only get those after you've beat the fisherman in match play a second time and he gives you better bait you can buy.

Make sure to check all 3 fishing areas in each course and slowly work your way through and build up your fishing level. Once you've caught everything but the ??? fish, you'll have to wait until they unlock, but you should probably do a bit of grinding to max you level before you get there. I just did one level a day.

oh thanks for clearing that up, finally.

how many hours (days?) did it took you to complete the online portion of the fishing?

can it be done in two days? (I don't have PS+ but I have a 2-days-free trial I still can use...)

if it takes too long, I'd rather buy a month of PS+ and think about 1 or 2 other games I'd like to use online on.

Top Bottom