• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters |OT| Is it the boobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanee

Might as well stick my post from the review thread in here.

I just got back from the cinema and its nowhere near as bad as the trailers made it seem. It has some fun moments and I liked the build up in the first half of the movie. Hemsworth was probably the funniest person in the flick. A bunch of the slapstick stuff just fell flat for me and the cameos were poorly handled.

My two biggest complaints are that the main villain was just there, he never really came across as a threat and also the music was just not good, it didn't fit the overall tone of the movie at all.

Not bad but not great either. A 6.5/10 is probably around the right score for this movie. It doesn't really come close to the original two for me.

On a slightly concerning note. For every new release I've seen during the daytime the viewing is always more than half full but there were only three of us watching it.

30 minutes, got some beer from concessions, was an accident on the way and I sat in traffic for an hour. That was fun. That's my new gauge, Feigbusters, if I feel like it was worth the traffic then I'm sold.

CnSZEH5UMAAXImO.jpg

(since been deleted after a rightful shitstorm)

For shame Hoyts. So glad I stopped going to their overpriced cinemas.

jstripes

Banned
I just saw it with my wife, and we were both smiling so much when we got out of the theatre.

Over the years I've developed the supernatural ability to remove my nostalgia goggles, and because of that I can say this: It was just as good as the original. In a different way, but just as good. I'm saying that as a 37 year old male.

(A couple of the cameos felt forced, though.)

Quick

Banned
Just got back from an early evening screening. It's pretty good.

Villain isn't anything of note, almost disappointing actually. The rest of the characters were on point, though.

Story is as simple as can be, ghosts = busted, feel good, apocalyptic event. Character conflicts were at a bare minimum. Holtzmann (McKinnon) was a standout. Leslie Jones was awesome as well.

The Fall Out Boy and Missy Elliot track was garbage, but thankfully that was played to a minimum of maybe half a minute or so. Otherwise, I really liked the score especially the ones with the Ghostbusters theme mixed in.

The 3D was also pretty impressive. I might actually watch this again in IMAX.

gafneo

Banned
My impressions of the film.

Holy crap, It was everything I wanted in a GhostBusters movie and more. Those intense action scenes and monster movie moments brought me back to the 80s. Oh how I love Slimer in this movie and the bigger role they gave him. I liked all 4 of the new Ghostbusters. The movie had a cool vibe to it. Was kind of dark and spooky. Sometimes a little bit of comedy thrown in. The dumb Chris Hemsworth was nothing hilarious though. There was some true visual cinematic moments that stuck out to me. I think it will impact me just as the original did.

jstripes

Banned
Villain isn't anything of note, almost disappointing actually. The rest of the characters were on point, though.

I actually liked the villain. He seemed believable. But that's probably because I live in a big city and have seen weirdos like him.

Just got back from the theaters. I thought it was a ton of fun. Main cast was great, cameos eh, pacing was stellar.

Bill Murray's cameo probably
ties into the fact that he insisted his character would die in Ghostbusters 3.

Signourney Weaver's cameo was too much.

Dan Akroyd saying "I ain't afraid of no ghosts" was eye-rolling.

I really enjoyed the movie! The picture occasionally extending beyond the aspect ratio was neat.

Make sure you stay after the credits.
There is no Dana...

I actually liked the villain. He seemed believable. But that's probably because I live in a big city and have seen weirdos like him.

Yeah for me the cameos all landed at "fine," and I was glad they at least made other people happy, but I would have been ok with it them.

Villain was good - I like that it was just your everyday creepy dude.

Enjoyed the movie, some swing and misses but overall it was a good movie. Definitely recommend giving it a go.

Visually it looked great, I think it would look amazing with a ambilight/lightpack at home. Kate McKinnon was awesome, she sold the weirdness of her character perfectly.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Nicely done, op.

My only suggestion is to remove the Fallout Boy/Missy Elliot theme, and we're good to go.

I just saw this tonight with my GF. It was...great! Funny and entertaining. The OG one will always be my favorite, but this movie paid respects in more ways than one. Go see it GAF!

So judging by GAF impressions the movie is obviously terrible

I'm going to be picketing my local AMC all day tomorrow to try and stop them from showing this movie, you should all join m-wait put me down

gafneo

Banned

I didn't have a problem with the cameos. Maybe the next film will be called Ghostbuster:Crossing Streams (Crossover reference) and the original cast reunites. The time the original GB did cross streams was said to create some interplanetary loop which altered space and time. I could see the original cast teaming up with the new in these regards.

jstripes

Banned
I didn't have a problem with the cameos. Maybe the next film will be called Ghostbuster:Crossing Streams (Crossover reference) and the original cast reunites. The time the original GB did cross streams was said to create some interplanetary loop which altered space and time. I could see the original cast teaming up with the new in these regards.

The original cast is never going to reunite. That ship has sailed.

This + the RT score has got me hyped

I'm super excited my daughters will have girl ghostbusters to look up to (and cool-ass toys to get)

Looks like its gonna top 60% from "Top Critics" on RT too... there's another angry manbaby talking point going down

If this movie turns a decent profit there will be salt from here to Pluto

bryanee

Sorry, but yeah. You know dead people have scenes. We get JFK in movies, Audrey Hepburn in commercials, Tupic in concert. Being dead don't mean much.

I think they should respect the dead and not slap a cgi face on some else's body, even if its for a brief moment. Its not the same as de-aging Arnie or Michael Douglas who are living actors for movies they star in.

Also the above in regards to CGI faces is not a spoiler for this Ghost Busters movie.

I didn't have an immediate problem with the casting when it was announced who'd be playing the new Ghostbusters. Along the way I was thinking that I would have liked Tina Fey or Linda Cardellini or Emma Stone. And I still think they would have been good.

But boy, I'm here to say that these actresses just lit the fucking screen on fire.

You like?

I do.

jstripes

Banned
I'd personally be OK with it. If not for a full movie, maybe they get transported to a portal to help fight off an evolved Zool or something.

Ramis is dead. Murray doesn't give a shit. Aykroyd and Hudson are well past it.
Aykroyd is still a weirdo paranormal sort IRL though.

Let it go.

silenttwn

Just got back from seeing. I came at this as a pretty big Ghostbusters fan.

I thought it was fun, but it didn't do much for me. The tone and style of the original is a big part of what has always captured me and made me a fan. The 1984 movie balanced the drama, horror, and comedy so well and Feig doesn't have the chops to pull that off it seems.

There are still some cool gags and funny bits but it was disposable. It just felt made me feel a bit empty.. I wanted to connect more with the characters. For some, this new movie might be funnier than the original but after this and Spy I think Feig's comedy ain't my cup of tea.

McKinnon's character is by far my favorite. I liked Wiig and Jones too. McCarthy, didn't care much for.

Theater is deader than my dreams of marrying Eva Green.

Really. Mine was pretty full, and beyond generally loving the movie, this audience was out for blood. So many Ghostbusters fans showed up, and reacted positively to most of the movie. One moment at the tail end literally caused a standing ovation and reminded me why I love going to the movies.

Toa TAK

Banned
Really. Mine was pretty full, and beyond generally loving the movie, this audience was out for blood. So many Ghostbusters fans showed up, and reacted positively to most of the movie. One moment at the tail end literally caused a standing ovation and reminded me why I love going to the movies.
Maybe I had to be there for the first showing, but it's pretty empty here in Alhambra. D:

Maybe I had to be there for the first showing, but it's pretty empty here in Alhambra. D:

There were two showings tonight at my IMAX, I went to the 7pm and there was a line for the 10:30. I wonder how this is going to do at the box office. This movie was not perfect. It also did not stop me from loving it. It definitely has elements and moments that simply do not work. But the overwhelming majority of the film did work for me, and I was howling throughout.

Saw it tonight at a 7:30pm showing with my son. We had a great time. He was scared at times and thought it was great.

I enjoyed it. At times I was laughing for minutes straight. Definitely a fun movie and worthy of Ghost
Jumpers

One thing I am slightly disappointed with was actually how people were saying that some of it was legitimately creepy... and there's a part or two where I was like alright yeah that's pretty creepy, but I still wasn't really feeling it. But it wasn't trying to go for the serious horror, so I was okay with it. I did think the mannequin part was super cool and it was a little creepy there just for a hair, but I thought that whole sequence could have been played out a little more... prolonged, which I think could have helped.

But it's clear that Paul Feig was making mostly a kid's movie, and I like that, so I'm not feeling any upset over it. It was decent kid-level horror stuff.

Nudull

Banned
Still mentally dealing with a certain ordeal I had earlier, but here's my thoughts.

Overall, it's a pretty okay movie, but I and the audience I was with had a lot of fun with it. Some jokes worked while others didn't, but when they worked, they worked. Definitely felt much creepier/darker than I was expecting, which added to my positive feelings. Pacing was good, villain worked in a "creepy Redditor" sense, and Kate Mckinnon steals everything. Patty wasn't nearly as bad as I feared, and had some good moments for herself (more than Winston ever got across the last two films). There's plenty of potential here for sequels and an expanded universe if/when it goes there.

kingocfs

Movie was kind of a mess story wise. Pacing seemed a bit off too but the chemistry was great and I laughed quite a bit. Feig just knows how to put together fun movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom