• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters |OT| Is it the boobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanee

One thing I am slightly disappointed with was actually how people were saying that some of it was legitimately creepy... and there's a part or two where I was like alright yeah that's pretty creepy, but I still wasn't really feeling it. But it wasn't trying to go for the serious horror, so I was okay with it. I did think the mannequin part was super cool and it was a little creepy there just for a hair, but I thought that whole sequence could have been played out a little more... prolonged, which I think could have helped.

But it's clear that Paul Feig was making mostly a kid's movie, and I like that, so I'm not feeling any upset over it. It was decent kid-level horror stuff.

The parts in the
mansion at the start
and then again with the
mannequin stuff
were the only kinda creepy parts but then they could of taken them a little but further. Even a soundtrack more suited to those moments would of helped a great deal. Scare the kids a little more, I loved that shit when I was a kid.

Just talked to a buddy of mine who works at the local theater, they let most of the employees go home early because it was dead. Not gonna lie, that really surprised me.

Oh another thing. It was nice of Feig to give some of the cast of Other Space some work in this. Neil Casey does creepy and smart well. Karan Soni is hillarious, and I think I saw Milana, from the AT&T commercials for a second.

One thing I am slightly disappointed with was actually how people were saying that some of it was legitimately creepy... and there's a part or two where I was like alright yeah that's pretty creepy, but I still wasn't really feeling it. But it wasn't trying to go for the serious horror, so I was okay with it. I did think the mannequin part was super cool and it was a little creepy there just for a hair, but I thought that whole sequence could have been played out a little more... prolonged, which I think could have helped.

But it's clear that Paul Feig was making mostly a kid's movie, and I like that, so I'm not feeling any upset over it. It was decent kid-level horror stuff.

So nothing that channels anything like Dana's apartment? Will be seeing later but kinda bummed if it doesn't have spooks at least somewhat similar to that or at least some homage level stuff.

CazTGG

Saw it a few hours ago. It's pretty solid, all things considered (For what it's worth, I liked it more than Spy). Kate McKinnon is every bit as phenomenal as she's been made out to be, easily stealing the spotlight of the four main leads (loved the scene where
she takes out a mass of ghosts with those handgun...whip...proton packs
. Equally as enjoyable was Chris Hemsworth, he got the second-most laughs out of me. Leslie Jones is also great, albeit she does suffer from feeling like she's largely rehashing Ernie Hudson's street smart shtick. On that note, the film's biggest problem is that it seems to love the original too much, be it through retreading some of the same events, referencing it to varying degrees of awkwardness (the post-credits scene
literally has Jones ask who's Zuul
, constant music cues to the original Ghostbuster's theme by way of various musical cues and the cameos by the surviving cast which, while cute, are largely distracting from the overall film, namely since it doesn't hold a candle to the original. I get it, the original is a classic but I don't need to be reminded of it every five minutes. The film shines far more when it's trying to do its own thing rather than travel through the same territory (aside from McCarthy's bits which were largely unfunny and whose chemistry with Wiig was lacking in comparison to the other cast members). All in all, it's worth seeing for McKinnon alone, an enjoyable reboot/make that, while it has its misses, when it comes in with the laughs, scores some serious hits.

Nudull

Banned
The parts in the
mansion at the start
and then again with the
mannequin stuff
were the only kinda creepy parts but then they could of taken them a little but further. Even a soundtrack more suited to those moments would of helped a great deal. Scare the kids a little more, I loved that shit when I was a kid.

Don't forget about
Erin's backstory and how she and Abby became friends.

NR1

Just watched it with my gf. Hated every minute of it. Hope I never have the displeasure of watching that again. I can't believe anyone would say, at least is was better than GB2."

Lothars

I got more excited when folks said that it kinda feels like the cartoon. I'm totally down with that. They said that about the new TMNT movie, only this one is actually made by a decent filmmaking team.
I just got back from Ghostbusters and I have to say that I liked the new TMNT better and ghostbusters 2 is a massively better movie.

Im really dissapointed with the movie but it wasn't bad, I really disliked the story and how it was handled though the cast did a great job. I really like how they were. Leslie Jones was really good and I'm blown away at how good Kate MacKinnon is. She's amazing. I also really liked Chris Hemsworth and think he was another highlight of the movie.

Surprisingly I think a sequel could be way better just think they dropped the ball with this one. I'm curious how it will do at the box office because I don't think word of mouth from people will be overly positive but hope it does well enough for a sequel.

Hearing my audience sing along to the Ghostbusters theme at the end credits (with booming IMAX sound) was pure joy.

I'm seeing it in IMAX on Saturday can't wait.

The camaraderie between all of the GBs was so freaking strong in this.

I'm not going to lie I had more fun with this one than any of the previous ones.

Now I'm not saying this one was a better film just that I had more fun.

I noticed everyone agrees the sequel could be something great. This movie felt like it was being brought down by the constant throwbacks and cameos. Hopefully, the next one will be its own thing.

I noticed everyone agrees the sequel could be something great. This movie felt like it was being brought down by the constant throwbacks and cameos. Hopefully, the next one will be its own thing.

It's funny the only cameo that fell flat for me was Murray and that's because it was way too long.

MattyG

Banned
Just talked to a buddy of mine who works at the local theater, they let most of the employees go home early because it was dead. Not gonna lie, that really surprised me.
I went to the 945 one and there were only like 10 other people in the theater, TOPS.

I really liked this. I saw it with my wife and my mother, and they both also really liked it.

As far as I'm concerned, this sits comfortably with the first film as an enjoyable comedic film worthy of your time and money. I like the second one too, but not as much as the original or the 2016 one.

I don't understand this... That isn't even the main bad guy of the film.
Gozar is the main bad guy, Zuul is his minion along with Vince

I think it's because
There is no Dana only Zuul entered pop culture lexicon more than anything to do with Gozer

I think it's because
There is no Dana only Zuul enter pop culture lexicon more than anything to do with Gozer

I'd also wager that it's just that, a reference. I hope that whatever they do with a sequel, it's something original. I don't need a repeat of villains from the original movies.

NR1

I think it's because
There is no Dana only Zuul entered pop culture lexicon more than anything to do with Gozer

4CC74A92-4A92-4BB0-B1A3-340169AB9068.jpeg

Nudull

Banned
I really liked this. I saw it with my wife and my mother, and they both also really liked it.

As far as I'm concerned, this sits comfortably with the first film as an enjoyable comedic film worthy of your time and money. I like the second one too, but not as much as the original or the 2016 one.

I'd say the reboot fits comfortably in-between the original two films in terms of quality.

http://splitsider.com/2016/07/on-my...ostbusters-torch-to-a-new-generation-of-fans/

Ramis' daughter wrote a beautiful article.

Really took those idiots to task talking about how disrespectful this movie is to his memory, or how he's rolling in his grave over it, etc...

At my screening couple of idiots got audibly and visually angry that they dared dedicate the movie to him, like they acted like it was an affront to Ramis, it 1/3 fucking hilarious 1/3 sad and 1/3 disgusting.

element

Back from a 7 PM show.

Things I liked:
Main cast was fun. I know what I'm getting with Wiig & McCarthy and they did their thing. I thought Leslie Jones and especially Kate McKinnon were great.
Nice cameos. Nice seeing all the cameos from the original. Only if could have convinced Rick Moranis to come out of retirement.
FX were well done (more on this later).

Things I didn't:
The overall feel was way more cartoony. It wasn't eerie for being a movie with ghosts in it. While the original wasn't a scary movie in any shape or form, it had its moments that worked very well. This was much more of an action movie as they don't catch ghosts but disintegrate them. The cartooniness also made its way into the monster/ghost design. While they were very well done it was perhaps a little too fantastical.
Wiig, McCarthy and McKinnon all being scientists neutralize each other. None of them really had depth or complexity. The movie relies heavy on that they are scientists, which is cool, but IMO I think if one of the characters had some knowledge of the occult might have made things gel a little better. I could have seen one of the characters going through a goth phase as a teen.

Things I noticed:
The movie is very self aware. Lots of jokes about people on the internet. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it was heavy. It could have only been made heavier if they broke the 4th wall if they did a scene similar to Trading Places.

It is by no means a great movie, but it isn't a bad one. It is a fun summer movie. I think there were some missed opportunities, but they left it open for a sequel.

Pizza

Tbh, I was really let down when this movie was initially announced. I bitched and moaned to pretty much everyone who talked to me about it.

I'm a giant asshole and it was great. Like, I didn't really HATE anything about it. The villain was pretty sweet considering the silly-ass premise of these films and the fact that the Internet is a thing today! The only parts i didn't really find amusing were in the trailers.

It was really fun and was a great homage to the original movies while still actively trying to be it's own thing. Honestly I hope it does really good, because I'd like to see more of it

Fresh out of there. Initial reaction: It's nowhere near as bad as the trailers. Nowhere near. Some laugh-out-loud moments, some old style dry humor. It loses focus a lot, whenever the villain is around, really. It's not as consistently funny, but it's also legitimately scarier than the original. The actual...not science, but ACT of their job is far more prominent, there's no montage of them learning the ropes.

The big drag-out fight was fun on a technical level and some seriously great shots, just felt out of place. Whenever the movie mocked the haters, it slammed on the brakes and lost all momentum. The ending is a bit more contrived than crossing the streams with an even more prominent Chekov's Gun but it's not worse, personally.

Characters are great, except Patty is an exposition dump with little characterization. That's not Jones' fault at all, that's the script. But whenever she was in Plot Mode, her entire speech pattern and mannerisms changed, when she was ad libbing and doing comedy, she was great. The main cast is pretty awesome, the cameos are pitch perfect but this is one of the LEAST New York movie to ever be set in New York. That's me being a bit of a snob but there are glaring problems with...product placement, subway usage, settings, and stuff. The streets in New York do not look like that, anywhere. That's Boston. Don't fuck with me, Feig.

In total, I liked it more than I ever expected to. It was more Real Ghostbusters than Ghostbusters and I don't think that's a bad thing at all. My reactions sound more negative than I'm feeling, I had a good time.

It was a fun, cartoon movie. I'm glad I watched it but honestly I have a feeling I'm going to forget about it after time has passed. Jokes were hit and miss with me but the hits really hit hard. I don't honestly have much to say about it, it felt like a decent modern snl movie but with a ghostbusters skin on top of it. I have a feeling I'll give it a 3/5 down the road but right now it's closer to a 4 for me honestly.

brinstar

Holtzmann was the best. omg. I loved her
toast at the end.

The pacing did feel pretty wonky to me. And the villain was really undercooked. I was fine with his premise but I guess I wish we got to know him a little more. The new busters had great chemistry together though and I'm definitely down with seeing them again in another movie.

Edit: I also agree the cameos were just too much. There were 2 I thought were really funny but the others I found distracting.

Dabanton

Just got back from a packed screening in Vancouver, lots of fun. A lot of girls dressed up in Ghostbusters suits. Also noticed a lot of dads bringing their kids along to watch.

I thought the film was a lot of fun,the joke ratio was good. The main cast very work well, and it sets itself up nicely for a sequel.

The only thing that irked and I know they had to do it but the cameos were a bit too much. The only one that really worked for me was the one just before the credits rolled as the joke was laid out throughout the movie.

But despite the amount of nonsensical shit this film has had to take from some very strange individuals on the internet I think it works well.

See it in 3D if you can. I thought it actually added to the film.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Finally found the Key Lime Twinkies at K-Mart tonight. Gonna offer 'em to my Game Night crew. Still looking for the Whitr Fudge Marshmallow variety and Ecto Cooler.

Im convinced Ecto Cooler has never been available in all of Louisiana.

Monocle

This movie is legit great. I expected to like it based on the second trailer, but I didn't expect to like it this much. Everything just works. The humor is consistently funny, all the characters play off each other so well, the ghosts are creepy and cool looking, and the story is satisfying.

Whoever cut the first trailer should find a different job. It completely misrepresents the wit and joy of Ghostbusters.

I had a great time with this movie and I'm going to see it again soon.

There was one really bad part for me, and probably the sort of thing most people expected:

The dude that kept doing the middle finger act. It was terrible. At first it was kinda funny, but then it kept going and going. It's the type of thing that was likely improv'd but should have been cut down severely.

Also when they're going on about the cat out of the bag joke. Way too much.

Those were the only parts that were bad for me. The rest ranged from good to great.

User1608

Banned
Fuck, reading posts and I can't wait. I've been binging on Ghostbusters the last 5 days, from the first two movies to the cartoon series. It was a part of my childhood and it's so good to see there is a new movie with a female cast that is good.:) Ahhhh!

There was one really bad part for me, and probably the sort of thing most people expected:

The dude that kept doing the middle finger act. It was terrible. At first it was kinda funny, but then it kept going and going. It's the type of thing that was likely improv'd but should have been cut down severely.

Those were the only parts that were bad for me. The rest ranged from good to great.

Yep, agree wholeheartedly. Dragged on exactly 10 seconds too long in both cases. The second example isn't even...a joke, you know? It's just talking about nothing.

Friend of mine that was beyond skeptical and very attached to the originals really liked this. He had a lot of the same problems I did, but said that it was one of the most entertaining times he's had at the cinema in the last few years. I'm inclined to agree. It's just so much fun.

Yeah that whole scene sucked, two words suck it. Worst scene in the movie.

Couldn't disagree more on the cat out of the bag joke though, that was a perfect example of taking joke so far beyond too far that it's funny again.

Friend of mine that was beyond skeptical and very attached to the originals really liked this. He had a lot of the same problems I did, but said that it was one of the most entertaining times he's had at the cinema in the last few years. I'm inclined to agree. It's just so much fun.

Right? I don't care that it's not as smart or as uniquely shot or paced or whatever as the original all I really care about is that I had an amazingly fun time.

User1608

Banned
Great to read! Watching Sunday!

Leslie Jones in this is just... wow. She is so likable. They all are, really, but I found myself just happy every time she was on screen. McCarthy is totally fine, Wiig is good as usual, but Jones and McKinnon are scene stealers. They're absolutely nuts.

Leslie Jones in this is just... wow. She is so likable. They all are, really, but I found myself just happy every time she was on screen. McCarthy is totally fine, Wiig is good as usual, but Jones and McKinnon are scene stealers. They're absolutely nuts.

Absolutely. They own their time.

Two stars were made with this movie I hope.

element

That scene did drag but that was Steve Higgins, writer and producer of SNL during Wiig and McKinnon were on there. The cast probably loved it.

Leslie Jones in this is just... wow. She is so likable.
To think she is 48 is crazy.

That scene did drag but that was Steve Higgins, writer and producer of SNL during Wiig and McKinnon were on there. The cast probably loved it.

Oh, makes sense. Still not a good scene. I'd have preferred they cut it completely as it didn't really contribute much even narratively.

Jeez, really? I'd have figured maybe base 40 range, but wow. She looks and seems very youthful, which is good.

Lothars

Agreed, They all did a good job but I want to go and watch stuff with Jones and Mckinnon since they were so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom