• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gust announces Yoru no Nai Kuni for PS4, PS3, and PS Vita (website opened)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, I'll give you the gameplay bit, but I'd have to play the Ar Tonelica games before I give you the characterisation and music bit. :p

Durante

Oh, and Gust games generally aren't 3 times as long as they should be, that helps too.

Yeah, I'll give you the gameplay bit, but I'd have to play the Ar Tonelica games before I give you the characterisation and music bit. :p
Well, you should. Especially Ar Tonelico 2, one of the best JRPGs of all time.

i9m7wQST7kOo1.gif

If I could, I'd edit the NeoGAF logo to say "JRPG."

Antiwhippy

Oh, and Gust games generally aren't 3 times as long as they should be, that helps too.

Well, you should. Especially Ar Tonelico 2, one of the best JRPGs of all time.

Well if I ever feel like busting out my PS2 again I'll see if I can find them on ebay.

Durante

Well if I ever feel like busting out my PS2 again I'll see if I can find them on ebay.
You only really need AT2. It also works perfectly in PCSX2 if that's an option for you.

I realized after reading it again that being 3 times as long as they should be is a bit of an unfair accusation to level exclusively at the recent Persona games. They are serious offenders, but it really applies to most JRPGs. Persona is just very obvious since they weren't like that pre-3.

Oyume

Neo Member
I wonder how much in-game dialog is voiced. Ciel Nosurge was pretty phenomenal in that regard (I think being episodic helped a lot). It really hurt when you played Ar Nosurge and big chunks of in game dialog was not voiced at all... (I'm speaking of the Japanese Version here.)

You played Ciel Nosurge for two years, and then those characters you love become mute. Even thought Ar Nosurge was a good game and an integral part of Surge Concerto, this was one of my biggest disappointments about the game.

Hopefully this new game fare better in that regard.

Btw: Sadly we won't have new Origa tracks in this game... RIP.

Antiwhippy

What the whole deal with the ciel and ar no surge btw? Want to get Ar no surge when it releases on vita but I need to know stuff from ciel which was never localised?

Merun

What the whole deal with the ciel and ar no surge btw? Want to get Ar no surge when it releases on vita but I need to know stuff from ciel which was never localised?

Pretty much, the events in Ciel leads directly to Ar and there is some good plot twist about Ciel which are revealed in Ar.

Oyume

Neo Member
You can read up on Ciel in the fan summaries, they are very extensive.

Yeah, the fan summaries are pretty extensive. But sadly you can't recreate the experience some people had actually playing Ciel Nosurge. It was ... a little strange at first (since you didn't know where the game was leading you) but it turned out to be one of my most important gaming experiences in recent history.

I wonder what they are aiming for with this game. Hopefully they will continue to experiment like with Surge Concerto with future games.

kiryogi

Banned
Yeah, the fan summaries are pretty extensive. But sadly you can't recreate the experience some people had actually playing Ciel Nosurge. It was ... a little strange at first (since you didn't know where the game was leading you) but it turned out to be one of my most important gaming experiences in recent history.

I wonder what they are aiming for with this game. Hopefully they will continue to experiment like with Surge Concerto with future games.

Tsuchiya's goal has always been to really capture emotions and express them. If you read his earlier interviews when he was working on Ar Tonelico. A lot of what he tried to do was often misunderstood and more so wouldn't work with where the video game medium was at currently. Ciel nosurge was definitely something above and beyond with it's take on the 7th dimension.

Although he's giving feedback, I'm not expecting anything Surge Concerto level here, but it's neat that theyre taking feedback from both of Gust's mainlines.

Falk

that puzzling face
On the topic of Gust music, it's so criminally underrated.

Well, 'underrated' is the incorrect term - that makes it sound like people knew about it beforehand.

They just don't.

:(

Hope this game comes to US.

The only remotely recent Gust game that wasn't localized was Ciel Nosurge, which was a genre that doesn't sell in the west and exclusive to a platform that doesn't sell in the west. This one is neither of those, so I think it'll make it over here just fine.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The only remotely recent Gust game that wasn't localized was Ciel Nosurge, which was a genre that doesn't sell in the west and exclusive to a platform that doesn't sell in the west. This one is neither of those, so I think it'll make it over here just fine.

Which is fine by me, as long as its not an Ar No Surge situation, i'm gonna buy Gust games day 1 going forward

kiryogi

Banned
Game looks gorgeous, please anti japan/rpg gaf take your persecution else where. But analyzing it, looks like we have seamless battles, and there's a timer. Also as I9 mentioned, using a similar button configuration to the AT/Surge titles. Dpad used for issuing AI commands it looks like.

Anko

There is a new date for the 18th but I don't understand moon runes. Otherwise as expected of Gust. Great piano track :)
The site will be officially open on the 18th.

I'm getting yuri vibes. Is it okay for me to get excited about this?

Producer

Yeah, im definately seeing the Ar nosurge influence in the combat. I cant wait to see, and hear, more. Gust is the best.

cuilan

Cautiously optimistic for now.

Considering my track record with Gust so far, there's a 50% chance that I'll enjoy it (Ar Nosurge) and a 50% chance that I won't (Atelier Totori).

This one looks and sounds good so far though.

OceanBlue

Interested in how the animation will turn out for this. The character models in Gust's recent games are nice, but the model animation is generally lacking. It wasn't a huge deal for an turn-based RPG, but for an action game it might be a bit different.

raven777

Interested in how the animation will turn out for this. The character models in Gust's recent games are nice, but the model animation is generally lacking. It wasn't a huge deal for an turn-based RPG, but for an action game it might be a bit different.

Yes this is exactly what I was thinking. Similar with Falcom's Tokyo Xanadu where they seems to be using Sen no Kiseki engine and that game's animation was terrible. At least Falcom is known for some good action games..(Ys)

Kudo

Looks really good but yes I have to agree those action cards and commands are very big. Probably not PS4 footage though so we'll see how the UI scales to 1080p maybe.

Top Bottom