• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gust announces Yoru no Nai Kuni for PS4, PS3, and PS Vita (website opened)

finalflame

Gold Member
Saw "No" and "Kuni" and my heart started pumping, thinking something had been announced about Ni No Kuni 2. Then I non-dyslexically read the title and was so disappointed :(

Nothing wrong, it's just that yuri has been used by developers that don't really know what to do and want the game to sell well.

The Neptunia series.

I honestly can't see what you're trying to say here(also the Nepu series sucks for Yuri fans, it's just teasing about how Noire/Uni are in love with Neptune/Nepgear right?), I'd like to think that we can trust Gust on this one.

and really I need more yuri/yaoi whatever the hell in my games.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Saw "No" and "Kuni" and my heart started pumping, thinking something had been announced about Ni No Kuni 2. Then I non-dyslexically read the title and was so disappointed :(

I think many people here entered this thread because of the misreading.

Anko

The Neptunia series.
Surely you can see the difference between superficial teasing and an actual yuri relationship. I'll be honest and say I haven't played Neptunia but nothing I've seen of it suggests anything more than cheap fanservicy yuri subtext. It's certainly not the kind of yuri I am looking for.

I honestly can't see what you're trying to say here(also the Nepu series sucks for Yuri fans, it's just teasing about how Noire/Uni are in love with Neptune/Nepgear right?), I'd like to think that we can trust Gust on this one.

and really I need more yuri/yaoi whatever the hell in my games.

I'd say the Arland Atelier had some pretty heavy undertones of yuri, though that was a much more comedic game than what this one looks to be tonally. Though for this game I think the most Gust will go for is a heavy "imply", more than anything else. Character art and "assets" aside Gust is pretty prude with romance depictions. It's been a long time but I don't think anybody ever even kisses in the Ar Tonelico games, where the romance is big part of the game.

kiryogi

Banned
5558ADE33C56D10031

lol so this is one of those games
One screen shot out of how many shows the heroine like that. I could be wrong later down the road with dlc costumes or something but considering thats the only shot like that... Oh I don't know, there could be some story significance behind it? Like she just awoken or in a dream.

I'd say the Arland Atelier had some pretty heavy undertones of yuri, though that was a much more comedic game than what this one looks to be tonally. Though for this game I think the most Gust will go for is a heavy "imply", more than anything else. Character art and "assets" aside Gust is pretty prude with romance depictions. It's been a long time but I don't think anybody ever even kisses in the Ar Tonelico games, where the romance is big part of the game.

I know about that, I mean we got this beautiful scene:

sogood

Vylash

yo that music on the website is so legit, give this me to now, save us Tecmo Koei

Nothing wrong, it's just that yuri has been used by developers that don't really know what to do and want the game to sell well.

The Neptunia series.

lol, what the hell are you talking about? there's a very minuscule amount of yuri in neptunia, not to mention devs certainly don't use yuri with that in mind so i don't really know where you got that idea from

One screen shot out of how many shows the heroine like that. I could be wrong later down the road with dlc costumes or something but considering thats the only shot like that... Oh I don't know, there could be some story significance behind it? Like she just awoken or in a dream.

yeah they should totes get the benefit of the doubt

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not crazy about the character designs or art (it's better than a lot of recent stuff though...), but it sounds like it could have interesting gameplay. Wonder how long it will take before we see a gameplay trailer. Doubt I'll want this but I'm curious right now.

raven777

Not crazy about the character designs or art (it's better than a lot of recent stuff though...), but it sounds like it could have interesting gameplay. Wonder how long it will take before we see a gameplay trailer. Doubt I'll want this but I'm curious right now.

considering that the game is releasing in 3 month, we should see it soon..

Wow a Japanese RPG where a girl shows some skin. Inexcusable, we should really talk only about that for the rest of the thread.

I hope the game is good and gets localized quickly. I believe in KT. Everything looks great so far.

Announce in May release in August, that's crazy for a Japanese publisher.

GUST tends to have really rapid turnarounds between announcement and publication, especially with their Atelier series. Compared to the big name RPGs they probably don't require several million copies to break even and don't have to work to generate a hype machine.

Frankly I'm not really sure how GUST stays in business. The JPN sales numbers don't look all that impressive for most of their games and I doubt they move more than 10k units in the US. While I'm glad they keep translating them I worry that sooner rather than later somebody with a calculator is going to find there's no money in the foreign market.

Vylash

GUST tends to have really rapid turnarounds between announcement and publication, especially with their Atelier series. Compared to the big name RPGs they probably don't require several million copies to break even and don't have to work to generate a hype machine.

Frankly I'm not really sure how GUST stays in business. The JPN sales numbers don't look all that impressive for most of their games and I doubt they move more than 10k units in the US. While I'm glad they keep translating them I worry that sooner rather than later somebody with a calculator is going to find there's no money in the foreign market.

they most certainly do much more than that

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well until then, don't be jinxing it and giving Gust get any ideas :p

I hope it comes out this year in America. Playing this at full 1080p on PS4 will be a treat

People still use that term?

Eh?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Like she was wearing that in a class room with no shoes, then she wakes up.

Come on.

As someone who doesn't mind stuff like this, I completely understand why a lot of people do. I like my cheesecake and skin-revealing outfits but I certainly recognize it's problematic elements.

People need to stop trying to justify the shit that developers do regarding sexualizing female characters and just go "Yeah, it's pretty problematic and we need better female characters/designs in the game world but I also like titties so I'm gonna buy this." I'm sure a lot of people's reactions to people saying they like this would be less hostile if there was less making shit up or really reaching justification for just enjoying fan service. Just enjoy it and realize that people can find it offensive and have pretty good reason to.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm, if it's actually yuri I hope it's a proper romance story instead of the implied stuff that is trotted out so often.

Inuhanyou

Hmm, if it's actually yuri I hope it's a proper romance story instead of the implied stuff that is trotted out so often.

Since they are the main characters and they are the ones being focused on, i'm assuming that to be the case. It would be nice to see a change up of traditional roles, the second PS4 game to adopt a more diversified relationship palette outside of Left Behind of course.

...Of course, it has to be good. If its just going to be fanservicey sclock like certain Japanese works do, they can keep it.

rykomatsu

hm...looks like Play Asia has the super ltd edition...i'm tempted to get it, but I don't want to be hosed, be told that they can't get it, and can't get the normal ltd edition anymore at that time...Really looking forward to this though! :)

Does anyone know which language the music is in, or fictional language?

Frumix

Suffering From Success

It's not just Gust. Japanese pop media is pretty bad with this relationship thing. A cliche so beaten down into the ground I wonder if it's a cultural barrier or if Japan allows so many hack writers to stay in business.

Christhor

...Of course, it has to be good. If its just going to be fanservicey sclock like certain Japanese works do, they can keep it.

Has Fatal Frame or Deception ever handled subject matter of this kind? It's probably much better to look at those, rather than Gust's other work. Gust is such a small team and so much of the work is outsourced, that the games probably get shaped almost entirely by the person incharge of the title.

kiryogi

Banned
Come on.

As someone who doesn't mind stuff like this, I completely understand why a lot of people do. I like my cheesecake and skin-revealing outfits but I certainly recognize it's problematic elements.

People need to stop trying to justify the shit that developers do regarding sexualizing female characters and just go "Yeah, it's pretty problematic and we need better female characters/designs in the game world but I also like titties so I'm gonna buy this." I'm sure a lot of people's reactions to people saying they like this would be less hostile if there was less making shit up or really reaching justification for just enjoying fan service. Just enjoy it and realize that people can find it offensive and have pretty good reason to.
Way too many folks instantly leap on this especially the western audience that's either insecure or puritan. When you see comments like a reviewer feeling insecure about playing omega quintet in front of his girlfriend, it's just laughable.

And personally I'm not reaching. My first reaction besides her clothing wad seeing her expression. Looking dazed. But maybe it is an actual outfit and I am wrong. But when more than half of the replies are all snark about the fanservice. ESPECIALLY when it's only one shot of the bunch,you know it's some ridiculous overreaction. That's not really contributing any discussion pertaining to the actual merits of the title.

Christhor

It's not just Gust. Japanese pop media is pretty bad with this relationship thing. A cliche so beaten down into the ground I wonder if it's a cultural barrier or if Japan allows so many hack writers to stay in business.

I don't think pop media in general is very good with romance. The only times they tend to be convincing is if a lot of it is dealt with off screen.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I don't think pop media in general is very good with romance. The only times they tend to be convincing is if a lot of it is dealt with off screen.

True I suppose but I'm referring to the specific kind of pussyfooting around that's very characteristic specifically of Japanese production.

Like... Like this.
usHR2e1.jpg

kiryogi

Banned
hm...looks like Play Asia has the super ltd edition...i'm tempted to get it, but I don't want to be hosed, be told that they can't get it, and can't get the normal ltd edition anymore at that time...Really looking forward to this though! :)

Does anyone know which language the music is in, or fictional language?
Rykomatsu you can order the gust editions from isukado game shop. They partner with Ar tonelico community "A reyvatiels melody"

Inuhanyou

True I suppose but I'm referring to the specific kind of pussyfooting around that's very characteristic specifically of Japanese production.

Like... Like this.
usHR2e1.jpg

That's not really pussy footing. THat's basic "serialized series common sense 101". The entire point is not to bring out the pot of gold early. Its intended to be bait from the start to keep people reading indefinitely, even though it has a negative effect if its not done correctly.

I like series either where its developed from the start into something you know is going to happen down the line, or something is obviously going on even before the series starts and your just getting snippets of something unsaid(like my favorite series of all time, chrno crusade. what a great manga)

wolfhowwl

Banned
Way too many folks instantly leap on this especially the western audience that's either insecure or puritan. When you see comments like a reviewer feeling insecure about playing omega quintet in front of his girlfriend, it's just laughable.

And personally I'm not reaching. My first reaction besides her clothing wad seeing her expression. Looking dazed. But maybe it is an actual outfit and I am wrong. But when more than half of the replies are all snark about the fanservice. ESPECIALLY when it's only one shot of the bunch,you know it's some ridiculous overreaction. That's not really contributing any discussion pertaining to the actual merits of the title.

I for one am not upset to see that good old-fashioned morality isn't dead in the West. There is hope for our country yet.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That's not really pussy footing. THat's basic "serialized series common sense 101". The entire point is not to bring out the pot of gold early. Its intended to be bait from the start to keep people reading indefinitely, even though it has a negative effect if its not done correctly.

I like series either where its developed from the start into something you know is going to happen down the line, or something is obviously going on even before the series starts and your just getting snippets of something unsaid(like my favorite series of all time, chrno crusade. what a great manga)

This works off the assumption that confirmation of a romance is the end of it. Which I guess makes for an arc but that's just not really true is it? Nothing's more annoying than holding on to status quo because you can't come up with an idea, but it also creates the grounds for these kinda stretches to become cliche and expectancies. It's basically as unfulfilling as... well, let's not get into awkward analogies. These kinda things happen in non-serialized stories as well, just as often.

Escalario

Banned
I would say that the fact that the Deception guy is making this is what makes it a given. Have you seen some of the designs from Deception 4?

I like it. A lot. I'm always a sucker for well developed redheads. Some of the Titania (from FE9/10) fanart...*sweats*

Coxy

who is directing this? Feels like they're finally getting to do what they originally wanted to do with Ar Tonelico 2

The premise sounds interesting after reading the translated info. I assume there will be multiple endings based on the part about making decisions towards the end of the article.

The art looks great and I'm hoping they show off some gameplay footage soon.

Top Bottom