• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gust announces Yoru no Nai Kuni for PS4, PS3, and PS Vita (website opened)

It's all relative based on the subject material of the game itself. Taking the Persona series as recent examples that I'm following: you won't see completely naked girls in poses like that in retailer specific pre-order material. That goes for other kinds of Japanese games and their own pre-order materials, too.

Obviously, it's fitting for this game based on some of the in-game screenshots and concepts that have been revealed for it. But no, I would be very surprised to learn that most Japanese games feature pre-order material on this level of fanservice. Its existence is fine, but that claim seems fully disingenuous.

Of course, you pay extra for such for Persona 4 Golden

kiryogi

Banned
Then that wasn't my point and you're arguing against a position I'm not taking.

Obviously, it's fitting for this game based on some of the in-game screenshots and concepts that have been revealed for it. But no, I would be very surprised to learn that most Japanese games feature pre-order material on this level of fanservice. Its existence is fine, but that claim seems fully disingenuous.

What point are you making then?

FluxWaveZ

You see pretty much the same amount of skin in either picture

What is your point?
What point are you making then?

Scrutinizing both pictures... I'm not sure how you can say that.

And my point is that most Japanese games do not have retail pre-order materials that feature nude women, despite being pandering. That is what I was saying since the start. I'm not one who sees all fanservice under the same umbrella, but I guess I'm in the minority here.

raven777

I do think the pre-order bonus art (sofmap one) is a little bit more lewd than the usual pre-order arts. But I don't think that's anything significant. The important thing is that those art doesn't always represent the materials in the actual game. I highly doubt we will see that full-nude sofmap art kind of stuff from the game. But we will definitely see the lingerie stuff (already shown in the screenshot)

I do think the pre-order bonus art (sofmap one) is a little bit more lewd than the usual pre-order arts. But I don't think that's anything significant. The important thing is that those art doesn't always represent the materials in the actual game. I highly doubt we will see that full-nude sofmap art kind of stuff from the game. But we will definitely see the lingerie stuff (already shown in the screenshot)

Gust games have plenty of in-game art that's just as racy or arguably more so than what's on that pre-order bonus. I think it's pretty much guaranteed that there's going to be a "everything but the nipple" style nudity in-game as well. For example, a bath scene with strategic smoke/soap bubbles is 100% going to be in this game, just judging by past history.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Very delicious looking pancakes

Also, for those people who say Japanese games don't have racy artwork in their preorders, have not preordered the more recent Blazblues

Christhor

And my point is that most Japanese games do not have retail pre-order materials that feature nude women, despite being pandering. That is what I was saying since the start. I'm not one who sees all fanservice under the same umbrella, but I guess I'm in the minority here.

You have to look at the source material, bro. The women in Yoru no Nai Kuni are clearly adults, so it's not that bad that they're naked. However, for the Persona 4 Golden poster, they're sexualising minors. If you think that the former is worse than the latter, then you're basically a pedophile, bro.

FluxWaveZ

You have to look at the source material, bro. The women in Yoru no Nai Kuni are clearly adults, so it's not that bad that they're naked. However, for the Persona 4 Golden poster, they're sexualising minors. If you think that the former is worse than the latter, then you're basically a pedophile, bro.

What.

Also, for those people who say Japanese games don't have racy artwork in their preorders, have not preordered the more recent Blazblues

I don't think anyone's saying that. I mean, the very thing we're discussing is proof.

Wonko_C

Comical Psychosomatic Medicine - episode 2 on crunchyroll. I'd recommend some people here to watch it. Seriously.

sensui-tomo

You have the ages messed up if you're going to use that word, 16 and up doesnt qualify for that. (unless you mean 1 specific character i dont think they've ever sexualized ever) but yes they are minors , no being attracted to a 16 year old doesnt make you a pedo.. god forbid an 18 year old is attracted to one.

Christhor

So you're admitting to it?

You have the ages messed up if you're going to use that word, 16 and up doesnt qualify for that. (unless you mean 1 specific character i dont think they've ever sexualized ever) but yes they are minors , no being attracted to a 16 year old doesnt make you a pedo.. god forbid an 18 year old is attracted to one.

They don't sexualise Rise? Come on man, I've played Persona 4. Her entire arc is based upon fanservice. But we were really just talking about that poster, which is definitely sexualised. Try to justify it however you want, school children being sexualised in swimsuits is definitely worse than naked adults being sexualised.

raven777

I can't really make judgement on the gameplay until I see a trailer.... I have no idea how the combat works at the moment..

Christhor

No, he's not admitting to anything. It's just that what you're saying is bizarre.

What he was talking about was way more bizarre than anything from me.

I wouldn't be too surprised if this ends up being Gust's biggest hit in years. Depending on the quality of the gameplay, this might be a hit (by Gust standards) in the west as well.

What he was talking about was way more bizarre than anything from me.

I wouldn't be too surprised if this ends up being Gust's biggest hit in years. Depending on the quality of the gameplay, this might be a hit (by Gust standards) in the west as well.

Especially since PS4 owners are starving for good (and good-looking) JRPGs.

Please be good.

Christhor

Especially since PS4 owners are starving for good (and good-looking) JRPGs.

Please be good.

Yeah, KT should get right on that localisation and seize the market. If they're quick enough, then this could be the first action JRPG on the PS4. It will be interesting to see actual gameplay from this game.

Yeah, KT should get right on that localisation and seize the market. If they're quick enough, then this could be the first action JRPG on the PS4. It will be interesting to see actual gameplay from this game.

I think seizing the "early" Japanese games market in the west and developing a following is exactly what they're trying, based on the crazy amount of titles they're bringing, at least compared to everyone else. I hope this has a high priority and will work out well for them.

sensui-tomo

Type-0 HD was there, DQ heroes in japan if we mean new stuff. I'm sure i'm forgetting some other games, like deception ( i think thats on the ps4)

koutoru

We already have action JRPGs on the PS4 out now.

PSYGN

Yoru-no-Nai-Kuni-Ann-Init-LR_002.jpg

lol

Christhor

Type-0 HD was there, DQ heroes in japan if we mean new stuff. I'm sure i'm forgetting some other games, like deception ( i think thats on the ps4)

I was talking about new stuff in the west, I did forget Dragon Quest Heroes though. At least DQH is made by KT and is more musou orienteted than this should be. Isn't Deception more like a strategy game?

We already have action JRPGs on the PS4 out now.

Plural? What are they?

Yasumi

Banned
IF this gets a western release (and thats a big IF)
this will likely be covered up.

Anyway Action-RPG sounds good as long as it isn't to grindy I'm in the PS4 camp.
Did you miss all of the Atelier Plus games and the Dusk saga? Bikinis aren't going anywhere.
mmd___atelier_shallie___old_escha___swimsuit_by_xxsnowcherryxx-d7rxgbb.png

Game Guru

IF this gets a western release (and thats a big IF)
this will likely be covered up.

Not only is it a Gust game, it's a Japanese game on the PS4... Of course, it will get a Western release. PS4 only sells outside of Japan. They would have just made it a PS3/Vita game, or preferably a mobile game, if it was going to be a purely domestic release.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
just put down for the ps4 premium box. looks pretty fantastic. is akira tsuchiya involved in any capacity?

Not only is it a Gust game, it's a Japanese game on the PS4... Of course, it will get a Western release. PS4 only sells outside of Japan. They would have just made it a PS3/Vita game, or preferably a mobile game, if it was going to be a purely domestic release.

Yeah, it seems like Japanese devs have realized that while Vita/PS3 are still more popular in their country if you want a game to sell outside of Japan it needs to be on PS4. I'd imagine Sony is doing what they can to make this easy for devs, since it's in their best interest for there to be as many Japanese games on the PS4 as possible to help it out in Japan.

And of course it's also guaranteed a localization because it's a Gust game that's of a genre with a proven market in the west and not exclusive to a platform that doesn't sell outside of Japan (ie it's not Ciel Nosurge.)

I cant think of a single publisher that would alter that outfit except nintendo these days. Its just boobs

Yeah, maybe if she looked like an elementary schooler they'd consider altering it.

But I mean, we're talking about a company that localized a game that has a scene where you drop in on an adult female with the body of a twelve year-old bathing and see her fully nude from the waist up, with her nipples covered by small amounts of soap bubbles. No censorship in the western release. This is nothing compared to that.

(Ar Nosurge, in case someone was wondering, a game which outside of that one scene is pretty tame by otaku game standards in terms of fanservice/sexual stuff.)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Caint wait for june, This game is super interesting in all the right ways. I want to see how Gust handles action RPG mechanics

Coxy

just put down for the ps4 premium box. looks pretty fantastic. is akira tsuchiya involved in any capacity?

thats why I was asking who the director was earlier, this feels like his work, but I know he's working on something else atm

Tohsaka

Yeah, maybe if she looked like an elementary schooler they'd consider altering it.

But I mean, we're talking about a company that localized a game that has a scene where you drop in on an adult female with the body of a twelve year-old bathing and see her fully nude from the waist up, with her nipples covered by small amounts of soap bubbles. No censorship in the western release. This is nothing compared to that.

(Ar Nosurge, in case someone was wondering, a game which outside of that one scene is pretty tame by otaku game standards in terms of fanservice/sexual stuff.)

Yeah, and it only got a T rating for that matter.

Top Bottom