• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Indies should definitely jump onto the PS Vita" - Retro City Rampage Developer

Great stuff in deed! FTL and Terraria as mentioned would be so awesome to have on this device as well. Here's hoping.

What really needs to happen though is more day and date stuff needs to occur with the Vita. That was part of RCR success. However, Zeboyd's RPGs would sell like gangbusters on the Vita. Do it....do it.

Toma I thought of another.....Kick Beat!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Seems like vita is carving itself a nice niche. Those games are mainly complimentary though I feel it's what's keeping the vita talk somewhat afloat.

The thing is I can imagine the Vita being around for 2-3 years even if it ONLY has Indie dev support and no western AAA support at all. (Not to mention Gravity Rush 2 or another AC will likely come).

If devs and Sony are making money of the machine, then the small number of AAA Vita devs (although they of course would help the situation) wont mean that the Vita dies.

serplux

It's awesome that the Vita's becoming a pretty good option for indie games. Just wish he had made Retro City Rampage a Wii U eShop game rather than a WiiWare game; I would've liked to hear input on that side as well.

I was so disappointed in this game after being super hyped about it previously.

It just didn't grab me by my nostalgia and fun balls like it seemed it could do.

I'm sure it will find some success on Vita though. It's a game.

Edit: well, this quickly devolved into bring x game on Vita please thread, as usual...

I too found the game very boring

Makes sense to me. The people who own Vita's are more likely to be a hardcore type who pay attention to the indie scene. Combine that with the Vita's poor software situation and those indie games start getting a lot more attention as people look for things to play.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I wonder how many people that "bought"/rented it with the Rental Service when it was free have actually played it. I know most of GAF have railed hard against it...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Makes sense to me. The people who own Vita's are more likely to be a hardcore type who pay attention to the indie scene. Combine that with the Vita's software situation and you get indie games getting a lot more exposure and attention.

Well, we also know that AC:Liberation sold pretty well.

Makes sense to me - when few good games are coming out for a system, the ones that do come out get a high percentage of sales.

Even the "bad" games might sell more on the console, since... obviously.. they are still bad and sell less copies than the "good" games on Steam for example.

The overall impression seems to be that there is a huge potential for developers on Vita and that developers arent losing money on the console because Vita gamers have a huge pickup rate.

Skyzard

Banned
I too found the game very boring

That's what is quite impressive about it still selling well I think:

1- month long delay to play it on something else or hear about how un-fun it was
2- Vita has a tiny fraction of the userbase that XBLA, Steam and PS3 have
3- free on ps+ in NA
4- mega delay on EU release - when it came out it competed against really anticipated games.

He advertised it right (retro gta with varied classic throwbacks) and Vita owners thought it would suit the platform well.

Saty

The real 'test' would be now that's all these games are coming and it's getting pretty crowded whether the sales can be good for everybody or only a few titles will enjoy them.

So a lack of retail releases is driving stellar sales for downloadable titles. Definitely great for indies, but I would think that this would be obvious. I guess you wouldn't expect it to drive sales further than their PS3 counterparts though. Impressive.

Toma

I wonder how many people that "bought"/rented it with the Rental Service when it was free have actually played it. I know most of GAF have railed hard against it...

Well its not about the copies being "rented" for this thread. But yeah, I dont like the game eiither. Considering the dev is THIS vocal about Vita, I'll root for him though ;)

Vita owners (like myself) are starving for games. And since no big publisher in the west are willing to make any games for it, it's all there for indie developers to reap in. It also doesn't hurt that Cross-Buy titles make it even more enticing.

I'm glad VBlank Entertainment found success on at least one platform after all the so-so reviews RCR has received.

CamHostage

Awesome to hear that the platform is finding a market online. I've got like 20 Vita titles all lined up for the March cash-back sale. Now if only Sony can do something about the bubble limit...

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Popular Indie games that have been announced for Vita:
Hotline Miami
Bit.Trip Runner 2
Binding of Issac
Frozen Synapse
Dragon Fantasy
Lone Survivor
Velocity HD
Machinarium
Rainbow Moon
Starlight Inception
A Virus named Tom
Vektropolis
Divekick
Guacamelee!
Luftrausers
Snapshot
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee New N' Tasty!
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD

Kick Beat

There's so much temptation in this list! If Indie developers turn to the Vita en masse, I'll have to reconsider buying one. Just the thought of Hotline Miami and Binding of Isaac on it makes me drool.

Toma

Same sort of thing applies though. The lack of competition made AC Liberation stand out. The Vita audience isn't huge but they seem pretty willing to purchase software of all kinds.

I think especially in regard to Indie games, the Vita has a sort of Steam Buy-Pull effect for me. I want to buy all these Indie games, which I didnt feel on PS3, 360 or Wii, where I just bought the big ones.

antonz

This doesn't speak very highly of Sony's Digital marketplace. If Vita that has like 1/50th the userbase can sell more indie titles than it would seem the Sony marketplace is pretty dead. Great that indies are finding success but that's to be expected when your titles are about the only thing coming out on the platform.

VanWinkle

This doesn't speak very highly of Sony's Digital marketplace. If Vita that has like 1/50th the userbase can sell more indie titles than it would seem the Sony marketplace is pretty dead.

The PS3 and Vita versions both MASSIVELY outsold the XBLA version.

SmokyDave

Starbound.

Terraria is coming to PS360 soon. They just need to pop it through the magical PS3-to-Vita port machine is all!
No. No no no. No.

Terraria on Vita would be terrifyingly addictive and would probably ruin my work and social life.

This doesn't speak very highly of Sony's Digital marketplace. If Vita that has like 1/50th the userbase can sell more indie titles than it would seem the Sony marketplace is pretty dead.
Someone didn't read the OP!

Eusis

Didn't RCR hit PSN first, even ahead of PC? Failing that, I think cross play with PS3/Vita (combined with the fact it's hitting the small base that probably WOULD get a Vita early one) was a tremendous help. I would've ran with PC otherwise, but playing on Vita? Sold!

And it was also probably the only way to get me through the whole game in the end.

StuBurns

Banned
So is XBLA and Steam then, so basically, everything.

Pfff Terraria is old stuff by now, their new game StarSomething or nothing!

Starbound. I would love this too, but 505 is already porting the PSN/XBL versions of Terraria, so they may as well hit this starving market.

Hopefully Starbound will hit nextgen consoles as well, Chucklefish says they are open to it.

Toma

Did you read the OP? Because all of this implies more devs jumping on the platform.

Mr.Fresh

Vita : The first Indie handheld? So far I have
When Mutant Blobs Attack
Retro City Rampage
Super Stardust Delta
Zen Pinball 2
Plants Vs Zombies

Can't wait for the rest.

Maztorre

Vita seems to be a great platform for indies, the hardware definitely makes it more suited for your typical PC/Steam indie to develop for than 3DS (porting being less trivial and all), and the button inputs make it so you aren't locked into shitty on-screen keyboard iOS-type ports for a handheld version of a game.

The elephant in the room of course is that the platform has a starved userbase and indies can pretty much release content on the system uncontested, although I can't say that's too much of a bad thing. Better to be propped up by actually interesting games than downports of AAA franchises by B-tier teams.

And wow, Microsoft have practically thrown away indie support and sales in the years following massive digital releases like Castle Crashers and Braid. Pathetic that they have just allowed that to happen.

Subtle

Didn't the 3DS version of Gunman Clive sell the most as well? You hear that devs? Dedicated handhelds are more than viable platforms!

antonz

Vita seems to be a great platform for indies, the hardware definitely makes it more suited for your typical PC/Steam indie to develop for than 3DS (porting being less trivial and all), and the button inputs make it so you aren't locked into shitty on-screen keyboard iOS-type ports for a handheld version of a game.

The elephant in the room of course is that the platform has a starved userbase and indies can pretty much release content on the system uncontested, although I can't say that's too much of a bad thing. Better to be propped up by actually interesting games than downports of AAA franchises by B-tier teams.

And wow, Microsoft have practically thrown away indie support and sales in the years following massive digital releases like Castle Crashers and Braid. Pathetic that they have just allowed that to happen.

Microsoft was way to obsessed with using the Live platform as a way to boost money intake to the point of treating indies as if they were big studios.

With both Nintendo and Sony going very aggressive with indies this time around will be interesting to see how Microsoft adapts.

Toma

It's true. What we're seeing is that a very high percentage of Vita buyers are willing to spend lots of money on games.

"we're seeing"? Are you referring to something in particular or just the stuff mentioned in this thread?

jgmo870

Banned
I'm glad they think so because downloadable/indie handheld games have been far more interesting than the majority of retail games.

Vita : The first Indie handheld? So far I have
When Mutant Blobs Attack
Retro City Rampage
Super Stardust Delta
Zen Pinball 2
Plants Vs Zombies

Can't wait for the rest.

Sound Shapes and Dokuro should be on that list sooner or later.

Toma

I'm glad they think so because downloadable/indie handheld games have been far more interesting than the majority of retail games.

Sound Shapes and Dokuro should be on that list sooner or later.

Urban Trial, Surge and Sine Mora are very good and highly recommended too.

RpgN

Dokuro should be bought by every vita owner who enjoys puzzle platformers.

I'm all for indie games like Dokuro, Mutant Blobs Attack, Oddworld, Sine Mora and Super Stardust Delta, but not the ones that feel too cheap. The recent indie announcements have impressed a lot of people, but I've been a bit meh about them. But hey, if that creates demand and more support (and in turn more potential games that are interesting), then I'll welcome it.

Top Bottom