• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Indies should definitely jump onto the PS Vita" - Retro City Rampage Developer

My only complaint is that the Vita SDK is Windows-only. I don't want to buy a PC and I don't want to taint my Mac with Windows in any form. Rock and a hard place; living and dying by the sword.

I can't think of a faster way to rust your programming chops than walling off your comfort zone wrt development environments.

Classic and old school games have a high appeal for me on vita. PSOneClassics, psp games, DC games, XBox 1 games. The thought of Sonic/Sega Genesis Collection game being ported gives me goosebumps.

I don't know about anyone else but I've held out on plenty of games already to wait for vita versions... Rainbow Moon, Rayman, Jet Set Radio (Ok ok, I bought it on ps3, pc, and iphone...) Not to mention Cross Buy games that I would not have gotten on just PS3... PS All Stars, Sound Shapes, Sly, etc

DiscoJer

Minecraft would be perfect with touchscreen+dual analog.

I wonder how long MS moneyhatted for that exclusivity though.

What I find interesting though is that there haven't even been any Minecraft clones on the Vita. There's a bunch on PC and XBLIG, and even a homebrew PSP one.

Then again, I don't think PS Mobile could handle it very well, and a clone might not get approved for released as a regular Vita title...

Noogy

Points at your avatar.........Dust to Vita?

Hah, nothing to announce, sadly.

Pixel games lookbso great on this machine. Just got to think of the old FF's or No Heroes Allowed.

Yeah, I absolutely loved how RCR looked on my Vita. I would really enjoy seeing the Zeboyd titles on there, it'd be a perfect fit.

I find it ironic that all these new devices are going higher and higher with their resolutions, while I'm spending more time playing pixelated games.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Small but hardcore fanbase + hunger for games + cheap faster to produce indie games = profit

If you were implying that all Indie games are fast to make, I know a few devs who would like to have a word with you.

AlexM

My only complaint is that the Vita SDK is Windows-only. I don't want to buy a PC and I don't want to taint my Mac with Windows in any form. Rock and a hard place; living and dying by the sword.

There's been talk on the developer forums that running from a VM can cause a lot of issues if anyone is considering that. Or were you referring to a dual-install?

dr_rus

We need the notable PSN games to be ported to Vita

Super Meat Boy
Fez
Limbo
Outland
Joe Danger
Journey
Braid
Castle Crashers
This. 1000000 times this. I have no idea what SCE is thinking and why all of these aren't on Vita yet.

These days I find nothing more refreshing than legit Vita love. This is awesome news and an awesome thread. I had no idea Machinarium, for one, was coming to the Vita...wow.

Kind of pointless unless he's going to give specifics on how many each platform sold.

It's no good being the best selling platform if it still failed to recoup the development costs spent for bringing the title to the platform.

Skyzard

Banned
They are making Eufloria Adventures for PlayStation Mobile.

Oh yeah, thank you for reminding me, if the same people are making it I'm sure it will be good.

Eufloria is a really good game, terribly underappreciated and has been around in some form for a long time (pc first). Soothing real time strategy game - do I use my seedlings to build a tree for more or do I save them for an attack to take over another thingamajig and grow more. etc. ..in fact... have some of this:

bAityEr.jpg

Okay screenshots might not sell it straight away but it's quite a pretty game too thanks to its style. It's out on most things and plays well with a touchscreen although games can last for a while but that's fine as it's rather immersive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAvomEUrGUI

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Kind of pointless unless he's going to give specifics on how many each platform sold.

It's no good being the best selling platform if it still failed to recoup the development costs spent for bringing the title to the platform.

Even though we dont have concrete numbers, I think its safe to say that sales brought him the porting costs, lol.

If you want to be super precise, you'd actually need the destinction between the effort of just porting it to PSN and making a PSN ps3 + vita version, instead of only PS3. I am sure that effort has been HUGE amount of dollars. /irony

Not trolling, but wouldn't indie developers profit more from porting their games to the 3DS ?

Its all about the users and the store front/publicity. 100million ios users, but most games sell like shit. 90million PS3 users, but 5 million Vita users manage to buy more copies of a game, etcetc.

Not to say games cant sell on 3DS, just saying that the number of units sold isnt a perfect indicator and the Vita seems to excel in making the userbase count with a strong buying power.

QaaQer

Not trolling, but wouldn't indie developers profit more from porting their games to the 3DS ?

a few things:
1) can the hardware run the game?
2) will it get lost amongst all the other games like on xlba?
3) what kinds of games do 3ds owners mostly purchase?
4) what is the attach rate?

A larger install base does not always mean it is the best place for all games.

Skyzard

Banned
Its all about the users and the store front/publicity. 100million ios users, but most games sell like shit. 90million PS3 users, but 5 million Vita users manage to buy more copies of a game, etcetc.

Not to say games cant sell on 3DS, just saying that the number of units sold isnt a perfect indicator and the Vita seems to excel in making the userbase count with a strong buying power.

I think being a portable helps too as people tend to feel guilty ignoring their other expensive games to play indies on a home console these days. It's nice and convenient on a handheld. It would depend on the game of course but it seems to be good on both, Gunman Clive did sell well on 3DS apparently. Wouldn't be bad on Vita but is especially well suited to 3DS. Games that need dual analogue sticks, benefit from better visuals or need the tech due to design - vita.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I said ages ago that the Vita could be a good platform for Indie devs and I was berated for it because of it's low install base, I imagine the attach rate for some of the smaller digital titles are quite high, you can't always use install base as a gauge for how well a game is going to sell on a particular platform, and this has proven that, I imagine Vita users are thirsty for new titles so now is a good time for Indies to jump on board.

serplux

Nope!
You literally have to have a physical office space that you own or rent for Nintendo to even talk to you.

What? Why?

You did need to have an office space with Nintendo before, due to taxing and security reasons. Now you don't, and there have been a host of really small teams (such as beril, maker of Gunman Clive) who have become eShop developers.

So basically, this is what Nintendo does with Wii U eShop that was restricted with WiiWare (quoting someone from different thread):

Wii U eShop
- Allows devs to put DLC and Patches for free
- Allows devs to set own price/sales
- Doesn't put a limit on memory
- Devs don't have to have an office
- Easy Self Publishing
- Unity Licenses
- You don't have to reach a certain amount of sales to get paid

Yay for improvement!

zulux21

install base doesn't equal the numbers of sales you can make.

I own both a psv and 3ds and I won't touch the 3ds eshop, I detest how nintendo handles their online purchases and thus won't buy anything from them.

meanwhile I have gotten something like 6 games for my vita off the psn.

Ouren

You did need to have an office space with Nintendo before, due to taxing and security reasons. Now you don't, and there have been a host of really small teams (such as beril, maker of Gunman Clive) who have become eShop developers.

So basically, this is what Nintendo does with Wii U eShop that was restricted with WiiWare (quoting someone from different thread):

Wii U eShop
- Allows devs to put DLC and Patches for free
- Allows devs to set own price/sales
- Doesn't put a limit on memory
- Devs don't have to have an office
- Easy Self Publishing
- Unity Licenses
- You don't have to reach a certain amount of sales to get paid

Yay for improvement!

I shall direct you here! :D
https://www.warioworld.com/apply/devapplication.asp

Nintendo requires a Secure Business Location to protect our Confidential Information. Confidential Information includes, but is not limited to, Warioworld accounts, development equipment, all materials downloaded from Warioworld. A Secure Business Location is defined as:
( A location which is secured from theft and secured from access by physical means. A location is dedicated for Company Business use, and only accessible by employees of the Company.)

here's the email we got:
Thank you for your interest for Authorized NDA status for Nintendo 3DS.
We have completed our evaluation of your application and are unable to
offer your company Authorized NDA status at the present time.

In evaluating developers, Nintendo looks for relevant game development
experience. In addition, Nintendo looks for secure business facilities,
sufficient equipment and staffing
, financial stability and other
attributes that would distinguish the developer.

Nintendo provides Authorized Developers with highly confidential
information and many of Nintendo's Licensees rely on recommendations and
referrals by Nintendo to Authorized Developers. For these reasons,
Nintendo exercises a very high level of discretion in approving only a
select number of applicants.

In accordance with our policies, we are not able to re-evaluate requests
for NDA status for at least six months. Again, we appreciate your
interest, and welcome any questions or concerns you might have regarding
this decision.

Best regards,

Software Development Support Group & Licensing Department
Nintendo of America & Nintendo of Europe

serplux

I shall direct you here! :D
https://www.warioworld.com/apply/devapplication.asp

here's the email we got:

*email

Explain these guys. The Inchworm Animation guys had trouble at first too, but they were approved within a few months. :p

EDIT: It's hard for any small group sometimes when dealing with a major corporation. The new guys in charge are supposedly awesome though, and it seems as though it's a lot easier to get approved as Nintendo developers than greenlit with Steam.

Toma

Going off to bed. Stay civil in here! And again, best of luck to all Indie devs no matter which platform :)

Ouren

Explain these guys. The Inchworm Animation guys had trouble at first too, but they were approved within a few months. :p

EDIT: It's hard for any small group sometimes when dealing with a major corporation. The new guys in charge are supposedly awesome though, and it seems as though it's a lot easier to get approved as Nintendo developers than greenlit with Steam.

It's mostly a matter of networking at tradeshows it seems. That's how we have the stuff going that we do at the moment. Nintendo doesn't really seem to do the "tradeshow" as well though. I'll be trying again at this year's PAX'Prime and GDC if we end up out there, which is still up in the air.

But yes! Sony has been lovely to work with, for the most part (legal teams will always be slow for everything though)

I think especially in regard to Indie games, the Vita has a sort of Steam Buy-Pull effect for me. I want to buy all these Indie games, which I didnt feel on PS3, 360 or Wii, where I just bought the big ones.

because their price is low enough to have that impulse buy effect, and the prospect of the games being always available everywhere anytime is much more attractive then even steam where I need to sit down in front of my computer to play. (usually play my vita on a bed)

serplux

It's mostly a matter of networking at tradeshows it seems. That's how we have the stuff going that we do at the moment. Nintendo doesn't really seem to do the "tradeshow" as well though. I'll be trying again at this year's PAX'Prime and GDC if we end up out there, which is still up in the air.

But yes! Sony has been lovely to work with, for the most part (legal teams will always be slow for everything though)

Good luck with Sony stuff! It's a great thing when the major companies make things easier with the little guys. Also hope your Nintendo stuff gets sorted out as well!

EDIT: I'm curious, when did you submit your application to Nintendo?

jorgeton

I do love the amount of indie titles currently available for vita on psn. We could use a bunch more. And the ease of use of the store through the system makes it verry easy to impulse buy. I think a well priced, well reviewed indie game could do really well on here.

I think especially in regard to Indie games, the Vita has a sort of Steam Buy-Pull effect for me. I want to buy all these Indie games, which I didnt feel on PS3, 360 or Wii, where I just bought the big ones.

This is spot on. There is something a little extra exciting about having these on a handheld. Great for us and for the Devs who are giving it a shot and do not have to give them away to make it worth their efforts.

This is spot on. There is something a little extra exciting about having these on a handheld. Great for us and for the Devs who are giving it a shot and do not have to give them away to make it worth their efforts.

yes, even with just reading this thread, I'm having the urge to get Hardboiled Chicken right now, it's even worse in Vita OT thread where first post of every new page there's game recommendation.

Drek

We're huge fans of the Vita so if there's an audience of dedicated indie and/or RPG lovers who own the system and if we can work out the logistics, we'd love to start supporting it. Don't have anything official to announce yet, but if we did something for the Vita, it'd be more likely to be our upcoming project, CSH (http://zeboyd.com/2013/01/15/next-next-game-preliminary-ideas-kickstarter-plans/ ) rather than our back catalog.

Very much look forward to whatever new projects you guys come up with, but honestly your older catalog would probably kill on Vita. Its a platform owned by serious gamers who all loved RPGs on the PSP.

wilflare

We're huge fans of the Vita so if there's an audience of dedicated indie and/or RPG lovers who own the system and if we can work out the logistics, we'd love to start supporting it. Don't have anything official to announce yet, but if we did something for the Vita, it'd be more likely to be our upcoming project, CSH (http://zeboyd.com/2013/01/15/next-next-game-preliminary-ideas-kickstarter-plans/ ) rather than our back catalog.

posted at your page but I thought I'll mention here again. I'll really love to see your games on the Vita!

on a separate note, I tweeted Bertil about a possible Gunman Clive Vita port. His response
@wilflare I'd love to release Gunman Clive on the Vita it but I'm focusing on my new game now rather than doing more ports
https://twitter.com/BertilHrberg/status/304245368143613952

but I really hope to see it come to the Vita and his future games too! (would definitely buy Gunman Clive again)

Top Bottom