• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Indies should definitely jump onto the PS Vita" - Retro City Rampage Developer

Kron

Banned
The PS3 and Vita versions both MASSIVELY outsold the XBLA version.

As someone pointed out earlier in the topic the XBLA version was released months after and people had already came to the conclusion the game wasn't worth the hype build up so sales and expectations were low.

I don't think people are adding 1+1 and making 2. To me it looks like the sales in general for RCR were very poor so having the Vita version 'massively' outsell the others isn't much of a task to begin with.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
core gamers buy vita, core gamers buy games maybe?

Thats probably a part of it. However, the console actually makes people to spend more on it than usual. Since I have my Vita, my Steam & other console purchases have been drastically reduced. Just the temptation of watching a game on THAT screen is stronger than my Steam purchasing urge (500+ games on my Steam account).

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
As someone pointed out earlier in the topic the XBLA version was released months after and people had already came to the conclusion the game wasn't worth the hype build up so sales and expectations were low.

I don't think people are adding 1+1 and making 2. To me it looks like the sales in general for RCR were very poor so having the Vita version 'massively' outsell the others isn't much of a task to begin with.

It also outsold the Steam version, which released on the same day and has a userbase of XX million.

Not to mention the fact that the Vita version outsold the PS3 version. You cant argue around that with "conclusions" customers came to.

Pimpbaa

My only complaint is that the Vita SDK is Windows-only. I don't want to buy a PC and I don't want to taint my Mac with Windows in any form. Rock and a hard place; living and dying by the sword.

I'm sure your game was going to be very pretentious.

yurinka

Popular Indie games that have been announced for Vita:
Hotline Miami
Bit.Trip Runner 2
Binding of Issac
Frozen Synapse
Dragon Fantasy
Lone Survivor
Velocity HD
Machinarium
Rainbow Moon
Starlight Inception
A Virus named Tom
Vektropolis
Divekick
Guacamelee!
Luftrausers
Snapshot
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee New N' Tasty!
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD

Kick Beat
oh yeah! Great list

B.O.O.M

This doesn't speak very highly of Sony's Digital marketplace. If Vita that has like 1/50th the userbase can sell more indie titles than it would seem the Sony marketplace is pretty dead. Great that indies are finding success but that's to be expected when your titles are about the only thing coming out on the platform.

This doesn't speak very highly of your OP reading skills

OT: Fantastic news. Fun game too.

I think personally that the BIGGEST reason why digital sales are doing so well on vita is how quick and snappy the PS Store is on the device. It's great for impulse buys

KAL2006

Banned
We need the notable PSN games to be ported to Vita

Super Meat Boy
Fez
Limbo
Outland
Joe Danger
Journey
Braid
Castle Crashers

bradigor

Thats probably a part of it. However, the console actually makes people to spend more on it than usual. Since I have my Vita, my Steam & other console purchases have been drastically reduced. Just the temptation of watching a game on THAT screen is stronger than my Steam purchasing urge (500+ games on my Steam account).

I've spent £11.64 on the 360 since the turn of the year.
I've spent £14.97 on the PS3 since the turn of the year.
I've spent £80+ on the Vita since the turn of the year.

It has become my go to machine, to the point I have barely touched my other consoles and the PC. Everytime I think about going for one of the others, I find myself reaching for the Vita instead.

There is just something about it, something about the games and the joy they actually bring me. It may be something about the time I have to game these days, but it just fits my life perfectly.

I'd be interested to know the average sales per unit on the Vita compared to other systems. Comparing 2012 overall to 2013 so far.

Massa

Didn't RCR hit PSN first, even ahead of PC? Failing that, I think cross play with PS3/Vita (combined with the fact it's hitting the small base that probably WOULD get a Vita early one) was a tremendous help. I would've ran with PC otherwise, but playing on Vita? Sold!

And it was also probably the only way to get me through the whole game in the end.

It came out at the same time on PC and PSN. The XBLA version was late because Microsoft didn't have a slot for the developer for a long time.

Sure, this is the opposite of what we saw a lot a few years ago. Microsoft buys exclusivity, game sells much better on XBLA where it launched first, people mistakenly reach the conclusion that PSN games don't sell.

Now I don't know where you're getting that this game didn't sell well, any information on that?

slash000

Zeboyd Games
I believe Brian Proviciano is doing a talk at GDC about this subject, according to his twitter feed it seems. Link: http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/14236342/One_Man,_17_SKUs:_Shipping_on_Every_Platform_at_Once

He seems very passionate about letting people know how his experience has been on the various platforms, and that what was once true 4 years ago isn't necessarily true now (about which platforms are the biggest/easiest to work with / generate the most revenue / etc). He seems to indicate that his dealings with Sony (and Nintendo and Valve) were extremely smooth and not overly burdensome or unnecessarily complicated.

Let's just say that hearing these things has stirred us at zeboyd a bit and we're going to take a far more serious look into these things that Brian has brought up. :)

Pretty sure the Zeboyd guy is a GAFfer. Hopefully he does bring his games to Vita, pretty please. ;)

We're huge fans of the Vita so if there's an audience of dedicated indie and/or RPG lovers who own the system and if we can work out the logistics, we'd love to start supporting it. Don't have anything official to announce yet, but if we did something for the Vita, it'd be more likely to be our upcoming project, CSH (http://zeboyd.com/2013/01/15/next-next-game-preliminary-ideas-kickstarter-plans/ ) rather than our back catalog.

antonz

I believe Brian Proviciano is doing a talk at GDC about this subject, according to his twitter feed it seems. Link: http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/14236342/One_Man,_17_SKUs:_Shipping_on_Every_Platform_at_Once

He seems very passionate about letting people know how his experience has been on the various platforms, and that what was once true 4 years ago isn't necessarily true now (about which platforms are the biggest/easiest to work with / generate the most revenue / etc). He seems to indicate that his dealings with Sony (and Nintendo and Valve) were extremely smooth and not overly burdensome or unnecessarily complicated.

Let's just say that hearing these things has stirred us at zeboyd a bit and we're going to take a far more serious look into these things that Brian has brought up. :)

Sony and Nintendo do seem to be taking the Indy scene a lot more serious in general. It is good and in cases like the Vita it probably is a fantastic boost to the device because general support is low so new Indy titles are the next big things on its release schedule. Microsoft is going to have to adapt or become more and more irrelevant in the Indy scene.

Toma

We're huge fans of the Vita so if there's an audience of dedicated indie and/or RPG lovers who own the system and if we can work out the logistics, we'd love to start supporting it. Don't have anything official to announce yet, but if we did something for the Vita, it'd be more likely to be our upcoming project, CSH (http://zeboyd.com/2013/01/15/next-next-game-preliminary-ideas-kickstarter-plans/ ) rather than our back catalog.

I have no doubts that RPG's could/would sell like barely any other genre on Vita atm. Its a major and unserved niche. Decent RPG's released on Vita, and even a non-retail (meaning not $40 on release) Indie game, which seem to do very well on this platform? Sounds like a great idea to me.

I'd Kickstart that. I'd Kickstart the hell out of it for a Vita version!

Toma

Yes.
We're making two.
Sony is way into working with indies. It's been great.

Best of luck to you! Unfortunately, PSM doesnt seem to have the same pull to me as "normal" PSN games, especially considering its not that well integrated into the PSN store as the other games.

That sounds awesome. I think the Vita community is really vibrant and supportive of more indie games, and even bigger budget games that would normally be forgotten. It's a great piece of hardware and we just want good games for it :)

I really loved RCR btw, I dunno why a lot of people were so let down by it but every time I play it I have a blast. I'm going to be following Brian's talk at GDC so, I really want to see what he has to say about the development/publishing processes he went through.

geestack

Will be buying Hotline Miami a second time when it gets released on Vita, so I'm glad for all the indie games they want to release.

jorgeton

Your games would be amazing on the vita. I really hope you can make this happen. If PA4 hits my little vita, I'll be a very happy camper.

randomkid

This game came out on Wiiware too right, I wonder how hilarious those sales were.

I keep hearing glowing things about Where Is My Heart, I should really pick it up at some point. I missed it when it was free so a little discount would be a nice push.

Ouren

Best of luck to you! Unfortunately, PSM doesnt seem to have the same pull to me as "normal" PSN games, especially considering its not that well integrated into the PSN store as the other games.

Oh, I agree. It's just that it's one of the top buttons.
Developers need to do a better job yelling about this games too.
We'll be yelling very loudly soon.

You can definitely help us out by buying some of even the cheaper things to show Sony Corporate that PSM is worth their time.

The people I work with are totally amazing, but have to go through a ton of red tape to get anything done over there. Money talks.

Make it day and date on the vita and we will surprise you.

serplux

Wouldn't mind a Wii U version as well. :p You can't have good ole 16-bitness without being on a Nintendo platform. Especially a 16-bit esque RPG.

This game came out on Wiiware too right, I wonder how hilarious those sales were.

I keep hearing glowing things about Where Is My Heart, I should really pick it up at some point. I missed it when it was free so a little discount would be a nice push.

It comes out this Thursday, finally. They probably should have spent the time to make it an eShop game instead.

Toma

Oh, I agree. It's just that it's one of the top buttons.
Developers need to do a better job yelling about this games too.
We'll be yelling very loudly soon.

You can definitely help us out by buying some of even the cheaper things to show Sony Corporate that PSM is worth their time.

The people I work with are totally amazing, but have to go through a ton of red tape to get anything done over there. Money talks.

Did you already release information /dev updates about your games? Would like to know which games belong to you once they release :)

AlexM

I've been working on Vita games (via PSM) but honestly I dont really expect to make money. I just really love the hardware. I've always wanted to develop for a handheld with a good dpad since I was very young.

Maybe there is some hope :)

EDIT : Great to hear lone survivor is comeing to vita!

Toma

we can't quite talk about them yet unfortunately.

No problem! Maybe I'll see you posting around. Feel free to post a message in the Vita thread if you have something to announce!

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Our in-game resolution would probably scale well and look pretty good on the Vita screen. Hm. Gonna have to toy with this idea more.

Our current game engine has a native resolution of 426 x 240 so that when we use a pixel size of 3, we support 720p (which is the default resolution on the Xbox 360 where we got started).

The Vita has a resolution of 960 x 540. If we made our viewing area slightly larger and made it 480x270, we could use a pixel size of 2 for perfect scaling.

i.e. our RPGs could look really nice on the Vita.

"Jump on", as in actually jump on top of it? I mean, that at least could be understood, if not condoned. No, joking aside, I'm clearly just jealous that 3DS didn't get Retro City Rampage. I'm glad to see the system's getting more support, Sony's process sounds really open and helpful.

Alchemy

Gamers buy a gaming machine so they can buy games on it. Not surprised that these games sell well on the Vita, a little surprised in the XBLA/PS3 numbers though. My guess is that those systems have a diluted user base of people buying those systems for very specific games (CoD, Gears, etc) or for Netflix/media consumption reasons. Core gamers might be slower to adopt digital titles on platforms that are 7+ years old, so the Vita gives them a newer system to pick up games on.

Didn't Gunman Clive do significantly better on the 3DS compared to iOS/Android and Steam? Not sure if that had an XBLA/PSN release to compare to.

Gamers buy a gaming machine so they can buy games on it. Not surprised that these games sell well on the Vita, a little surprised in the XBLA/PS3 numbers though. My guess is that those systems have a diluted user base of people buying those systems for very specific games (CoD, Gears, etc) or for Netflix/media consumption reasons. Core gamers might be slower to adopt digital titles on platforms that are 7+ years old, so the Vita gives them a newer system to pick up games on.

Didn't Gunman Clive do significantly better on the 3DS compared to iOS/Android and Steam? Not sure if that had an XBLA/PSN release to compare to.

Yeah, I think there was a thread on here by the creator about Gunman Clive doing really well on 3ds.

Toma

Our current game engine has a native resolution of 426 x 240 so that when we use a pixel size of 3, we support 720p (which is the default resolution on the Xbox 360 where we got started).

The Vita has a resolution of 960 x 540. If we made our viewing area slightly larger and made it 480x270, we could use a pixel size of 2 for perfect scaling.

i.e. our RPGs could look really nice on the Vita.
Pixel games lookbso great on this machine. Just got to think of the old FF's or No Heroes Allowed.

Top Bottom