• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone OS 3.0 Preview: Today @ 10AM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.
rezuth said:
Blocking out and not supporting is diffrent things.

Yes. Verizon blocks bluetooth so you have to pay for their data charges and app prices. Apple just didn't support it yet, plus it's a free update on the iPhone.

rezuth said:
Blocking out and not supporting is diffrent things.

I want to know what changed in the world that they relented now? I thought email was fine?

huh Apple?

I cannot even muster up anger, I'm so pleased with the update.

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
So anyone notice the whole event was called the iPhone 3.0 Preview Event, and last year, iPhone 2.0? Touch users should consider themselves lucky, if anything.

edit: also the update is so great, I would even pony up $10 for my original iPhone.

drknite said:
So anyone notice the whole event was called the iPhone 3.0 Preview Event, and last year, iPhone 2.0? Touch users should consider themselves lucky, if anything.

The iPod Touch is a gateway drug.

Matix

So during the Q&A, no one decided to ask about the future of video recording on the iPhone (the only other 3.0 feature that I was anticipating but sadly turned out to be M.I.A.)...

derder

devildog820 said:
The iPod Touch is a gateway drug.
It really is.

There will be a point in your life where your cell phone and/or iPod Touch screen will get scratched because they were in the same pocket. Then a lightbulb goes off.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Looks like a fantastic update. Address almost all of the major issues and limitations people currently have- which is pleasantly surprising from apple. Wealth of new useful tweaks and features. Finally, OS3.0 looks like a matures, solid, and fully featured OS. Can't wait.
Potential for apps is now off the hook with the new apis and access to hardware.

Apple has been disappointing me lately with many of their decisions, but this was a win. I'm pleasantly impressed at what was revealed.

Now to wait.

Raistlin

killakiz said:
Apple has balls, I've never seen a company do something like this.

paying $10 to unlock build-in hardware.

you're not looking very hard then.

lot's of A/V stuff does it. And on a SW level, some games even do it (DLC lulz).

Doesn't make it good, but it is out there.

Salmonax said:
They addressed it in Q&A - nothing to report on Flash.

meh

Did it seem like more of a 'nothing to report right now' or a 'it ain't happening - suck it'?

bionic77

killakiz said:
Apple has balls, I've never seen a company do something like this.

paying $10 to unlock build-in hardware.
Yeah because that is the only thing offered in the new update...

GAF never ceases to amaze me. So wrong, so often, about so much.

Dragnet

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Does the iPhone have wireless syncing w/ iTunes? This is one of the things I liked about my old Zune. Stupid ipod cable... Can't wait for mms!

Only thing left Apple need to do. Add this and I can die a happy man..

killakiz

bionic77 said:
Yeah because that is the only thing offered in the new update...

GAF never ceases to amaze me. So wrong, so often, about so much.
For Touch owners yes, copy and paste, and bluetooh unlock, spotlight search, and the ability to buy software inside software (yay more spending cash) with other minor tweaks, nothing revolutionary sir.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Onix said:
meh

Did it seem like more of a 'nothing to report right now' or a 'it ain't happening - suck it'?

it was the only question where the answer was "there's nothing to announce today"

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
killakiz said:
For Touch owners yes, copy and paste, and bluetooh unlock, spotlight search, and the ability to buy software inside software (yay more spending cash) with other minor tweaks, nothing revolutionary sir.
Aww shucks, hopefully next time they have an iPod touch 4.0 Preview event :/

giga

killakiz said:
this is a preview, it's not complete. but you forgot push notifications. landscape mail. voice memos. safari keychain.

mollipen

Was really hoping for background processes, because we use AIM a lot for work, and it would be nice to have it running on my iPhone without having to dedicate the damn thing to running AIM and absolutely nothing else.

That, or Apple really needs to build in their own version of iChat so I can stop using this god-awful official AIM client.

killakiz

giga said:
this is a preview, it's not complete. but you forgot push notifications. landscape mail. voice memos. safari keychain.
push is for the iphone, all those other things are non revolutionary (should have been there) and or tweaks.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
goodcow said:
4GB RAM. It's true, keep Activity Monitor open and let YouTube run in the background. About half the CPU will be sucked up by the black hole that is Flash.

I have the very first MBP Apple made (1.83 Core Duo) and I do not have any problems with Flash. I spend half my day on flash game sites and Youtube.

giga

killakiz said:
push is for the iphone, all those other things are non revolutionary (should have been there) and or tweaks.
it works over wifi.

what exactly is revolutionary? you only spend $10 on revolutionary features?

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
I can say Apple took care of pretty much all my gripes- except for 1: wireless syncing.

However, I'm hopeful that with the new bluetooth profiles there will be methods to do this, even if not official.

PS- So can anyone run the 3.0 dev preview?

KR3W

Banned
I probably won't be getting this update anytime soon...since I'm using the yellowsn0w app to unlock my iPhone.

goddam.

cvxfreak

All those posts detesting even the possible inclusion of copy-and-paste now sounds even sillier than they used to.

It was one thing to argue it wasn't totally necessary, but I remember someone going so far as to breakdown why it was a terrible, sinful idea to include it because he had big fingers or something. :lol :lol :lol

Good work Apple. My Japanese phone has cut and paste. iPhone can have it too. And it will. And I shall use it. Thanks!

bionic77

killakiz said:
If you don't want it then don't buy it? If this pisses you off then sell it and buy a Zune or whatever the hell you want with your money.

It isn't like Apple is the only company that improves products. I actually think that most people should be ecstatic that they can improve their iPod or iPhone through a software update. If you don't think it is worth $10 don't buy it (and I am sure most of the people that bitch about this shit either don't have the iPod Touch or will just download some cracked copy of the update anyways).

I always find it very strange how some people have such hatred against certain companies. On this board it is usually Apple, MS, Sony and Nintendo.

I have a feeling there's been a lot of douchebaggery in this thread, so I'll just say that the new features are exciting and Apple is slowly removing reason for haters to drink their hatorade. I dig it.

GDJustin

bionic77 said:
If you don't want it then don't buy it? If this pisses you off then sell it and buy a Zune or whatever the hell you want with your money.

It isn't like Apple is the only company that improves products. I actually think that most people should be ecstatic that they can improve their iPod or iPhone through a software update. If you don't think it is worth $10 don't buy it (and I am sure most of the people that bitch about this shit either don't have the iPod Touch or will just download some cracked copy of the update anyways).

I always find it very strange how some people have such hatred against certain companies. On this board it is usually Apple, MS, Sony and Nintendo.

I'm as big an Apple fanboy as anyone (we're an Apple-only household), but it IS bullshit that the company charges for firmware upgrades like this. Especially when they're basically just OS tweaks and little functionality bells & whistles.

Edit: Think about it like this -

Weigh the money they will take in from iPod Touch users that buy the upgrade, Vs. the ire they're raising by charging them for it. I just don't see how that works out to be a net positive, for them. Give it away for FREE, and it's all hugs and kisses and positive Apple blog posts & tweets. Charge for it, and you get some marginal $$, but a lot of hate to go along with it.

rezuth

GDJustin said:
I'm as big an Apple fanboy as anyone (we're an Apple-only household), but it IS bullshit that the company charges for firmware upgrades like this. Especially when they're basically just OQ tweaks and little functionality bells & whistles.
See this is more than just a firmware update, this is a new OS. Do you whine about each new version of Windows and Mac OS X aswell?

GDJustin

rezuth said:
See this is more than just a firmware update, this is a new OS. Do you whine about each new version of Windows and Mac OS X aswell?

But this is just plain untrue. Each OSX revision has added major new UI and enhancements, ENTIRELY new software products (Time Machine, most recently), etc. This iPhone OS upgrade seems much more like a point release and not a full release.

To me it feels like Apple charging for 10.5.X , and X+1.

rezuth

GDJustin said:
But this is just plain untrue. Each OSX revision has added major new UI and enhancements, ENTIRELY new software products (Time Machine, most recently), etc. This iPhone OS upgrade seems much more like a point release and not a full release.

To me it feels like Apple charging for 10.5.X , and X+1.
Are you whining about Windows 7 and Snow Leopard?

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
The bitching about the $10 iPod touch update fee fucking blows my mind.

This is a major OS revision. Not a minor update. It enables a ton of new features. You payed for your device knowing the features that it currently has. We iPhone owners pay up the ass every single month, which is probably why we don't pay for the updates.

Some of you are pissing your pants about the option of forking over $10 in several months if you want this new OS? A One time fee of ten whole fucking dollars, really, it enrages you that much? If that has an impact on your finances, then theres bigger things you should be worrying about than optional gadget updates. If you don't care about the new features, don't buy it. If you do care about them, $10 is absolutely nothing. The fact that you're posting on a gaming messageboard and own a touch is evidence enough that you don't live in the extreme fringes of poverty that should make you blink at this amount of $.

Bitching is often warranted. Its warranted when Apple rips all buttons off a music player and limits headphone choice. It's NOT warranted when you're given the option of paying $10 for a new frikkin OS once a year or so. Its a negligible amount of money, and you know it. Its bitching for the sake of bitching. Yes, everyone wants free shit, including me. But what Apple is asking isnt at all unreasonable given the context.

GDJustin said:
I'm as big an Apple fanboy as anyone (we're an Apple-only household), but it IS bullshit that the company charges for firmware upgrades like this. Especially when they're basically just OS tweaks and little functionality bells & whistles.
rezuth said:

Yeah. I echo this sentiment.

Any other phone/device doesn't update it's shit and add new features.
If you have the phone, you PAY per month. It's not really free.
Whereas the iPod Touch is one-and-done. How is that unfair?

And if they're little bells and whistles, then well you don't need to upgrade do you?
Not to mention if you are a fanboy, then why is it a problem to throw down $10?

goddam.

(wheres the kid who says goddam all the time?)

aparisi2274

http://www.apple.com/iphone/preview-iphone-os/

* Some features and services may not be available in all areas.
* * MMS messaging is available only on iPhone 3G; fees may apply. MMS may not be available in all areas.

FU APPLE!!! bad enough that I have been waiting for MMS on my original iPhone, a functionaly that I was able to get on a crappy RAZR phone back in the day, and now you are telling me that due to hardware limitations, MMS will only work on 3G? So now I am either forced to sit out and not use MMS or cough up the dough for a 3G.

rezuth

aparisi2274 said:

FU APPLE!!! bad enough that I have been waiting for MMS on my original iPhone, a functionaly that I was able to get on a crappy RAZR phone back in the day, and now you are telling me that due to hardware limitations, MMS will only work on 3G? So now I am either forced to sit out and not use MMS or cough up the dough for a 3G.
You can always jailbreak..

By the time iPhone OS 3.0 comes out there will be a new iPhone as well. Then you can either get the newest iPhone or just upgrade to a refurb of the 3G. So stop bitching.

bionic77

GDJustin said:

Edit: Think about it like this -

Weigh the money they will take in from iPod Touch users that buy the upgrade, Vs. the ire they're raising by charging them for it. I just don't see how that works out to be a net positive, for them. Give it away for FREE, and it's all hugs and kisses and positive Apple blog posts & tweets. Charge for it, and you get some marginal $$, but a lot of hate to go along with it.
I disagree. I think you should be happy Apple continues to support their products so aggressively and $10 is not a bad price to get all the new features offer in the newest OS.

If the updates were free I would imagine they would never add any new features for old products (the way most hardware manufacturers never do). If you are Apple-only household maybe you aren't familiar with it, but most companies just focus on the next product release so you should be happy that Apple continues to support your iPod Touch instead of only releasing these features for iPod Touch 3.0 as most manufacturers would do.

Juice

aparisi2274 said:

Meh. How many EDGE owners aren't going to just buy whatever comes out on June 30, 09? I know I am

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom