• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone OS 3.0 Preview: Today @ 10AM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typical Apple bullshit. MMS was the one feature I wanted so I could actually see things people sent me on my phone without having to go to a slowass website that may or may not work. MMS has no extra hardware requirements so they have no excuse for this. I'm typically not an early adopter but I happened to need a new phone and music player at the same time so I bit. As soon as my contract is up, I'm bailing.

Costanza

Banned
NYR said:
?

Just update your jailbreak after the update - best of both worlds.
I meant like, I won't be un-jailbreaking to grab the update the second it goes live for the new features. I can wait till it's cracked.

NYR

Q: So you can control devices…?
A: Yes, now you can, with third-party applications, control and talk to accessories over Bluetooth.
Possible PS3 connect? I would love to use the iphone as a keyboard...

typo said:
Free? For just iPhone users? What about us silly iPod touch owners?

EDIT: Of course, iPod touch owners consistently get the shaft. Absolutely so.

Ya, you get shafted by not having to pay $70 a month. Pay the $10 and stfu.

ckohler

MarketWatch: P2P again, are people able to trade files - music files - over connection?
Joswiak says they can stream files.

jmoe316

Trust me, Apple would charge the $9.95 to iPhone users if they could. I think they were going to charge for V2.0 when it came out but couldn't because of how cell contracts work and how updates to phones are free or something. Don't know the complete logistics of it but something to the effect of cell phone users can't be charged for phone updates.

Q: Where do you stand on tethering?
A: Scott (explains tethering): We're supporting tethering in the client side, we're building that support in. We're working with our carriers around the world. We are building that support in.

PLEASE ATT PLEASE PLEASE let them use it gdi

Marty Chinn said:
Ya, you get shafted by not having to pay $70 a month. Pay the $10 and stfu.

Copy and paste ain't free, after all. Thousands of man hours spent on this glorious achievement in technological innovation.

goodcow said:
Do you own a Mac? Then you know how absolutely horrible Flash runs on it. Even on a Core2Duo 2.2 MacBook Pro, watching YouTube will cause the fans to spin up and the CPU to use about 60-70% resources just playing back a Flash video.

Er, what? I'm on a 2.0GHz MacBook, it runs fine.

Does your MBP have 128MB of RAM? :lol

Very cool and Apple managed to address a lot of features that I've been wanting with the new OS. I already own an ipod Touch so I'm not really looking forward to paying for the OS again - but I probably will.

Love my current cell phone, but I've been thinking of upgrading to a smartphone (I'm already on AT&T so no problems there) and was trying to decide between a blackberry or an iphone. Since I'm more comfortable with typing on the iTouch/iPhone interface than a blackberry and now that the new OS solves most of the problems that I originally had with the iphone, I'll most likely get one this summer. :D

goodcow

Tranced Shadow said:
Er, what? I'm on a 2.0GHz MacBook, it runs fine.

Does your MBP have 128MB of RAM? :lol

4GB RAM. It's true, keep Activity Monitor open and let YouTube run in the background. About half the CPU will be sucked up by the black hole that is Flash.

Jason Chen:
Q: Is there a physical hardware problem on the first-gen iPhone that prevents it from doing MMS.
A: It’s a different radio, so it is a physical issue.

rezuth

Tranced Shadow said:
Er, what about iPhone owners on Pay-As-You-Go?
I'm guessing there is no easy way to see if you have a subscription or not for Apple so they are just giving it away for free to the 0.1% that has a pay-as-you-go plan.

chaoticprout said:
Jason Chen:
Q: Is there a physical hardware problem on the first-gen iPhone that prevents it from doing MMS.
A: It’s a different radio, so it is a physical issue.

wat. A different radio that cannot transmit data?

Dragnet

goodcow said:
Do you own a Mac? Then you know how absolutely horrible Flash runs on it. Even on a Core2Duo 2.2 MacBook Pro, watching YouTube will cause the fans to spin up and the CPU to use about 60-70% resources just playing back a Flash video.

Flash's architecture on OSX needs to be completely gutted and re-written for the Mac platform, and by extension, the iPhone.

Until that happens, we're not going to see Flash on the device and I personally am glad. It runs like ass and it needs to be fixed. Period.

Umm, what? No. Something's up with your MBP, bro. My standard MB 2.2 doesn't do that.

As a non-Apple product user I must say the new iPhone is near-perfect (Flash being its only major Achilles heal). They've added features everyone has been waiting for since the start and then some. I hope the paid Nano update isn't a trend. Good work, Apple. Now just lower the price of Macbooks!

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
So can you still not transfer files over bluetooth to other phones?

goodcow said:
4GB RAM. It's true, keep Activity Monitor open and let YouTube run in the background. About half the CPU will be sucked up by the black hole that is Flash.

Yeah, I'm at roughly 80% idle with Safari, Mail, MSN, and AM open.

I have 2GB of RAM.

I think you have a problem.

LCfiner

Listen Up.

there's a lot of misinformation about free updates and why Apple does it for iPhones and not iPod touches.

IT'S NOT BECAUSE OF AT&T SUBSCRIPTION COSTS

Apple took the 200 (or 600, whatever) dollars you paid them for the iPhone and then divides in into 24 pieces and accounts for each piece once a month for 2 years.

that's why we get free updates.

It has nothing to do with AT&T service.

Apple does the same thing when accounting for Apple TV's as well. and that's why the Apple TV gets free updates.

Apple does NOT do this with iPods. any of them. They account for them all at the beginning and therefore cannot give out huge product functionality upgrades without breaking S-O accounting laws.

OK? got it?

good!

mrkgoo

Timo said:
How and where?

Me too!

I got mine in New Zealand. Totally unlocked and no contract. Brought it over to the US, and am on T-moble prepaid. Never Jailbroke or 'hack' unlocked.

Timo

mrkgoo said:
Me too!

I got mine in New Zealand. Totally unlocked and no contract. Brought it over to the US, and am on T-moble prepaid. Never Jailbroke or 'hack' unlocked.

How much did the iphone cost? Did you have to do anything funny with tmobile to get it to work? Does it connect to the internet on prepaid? And how much? I am rife with questions.

LCfiner said:
Listen Up.

there's a lot of misinformation about free updates and why Apple does it for iPhones and not iPod touches.

IT'S NOT BECAUSE OF AT&T SUBSCRIPTION COSTS

Apple took the 200 (or 600, whatever) dollars you paid them for the iPhone and then divides in into 24 pieces and accounts for each piece once a month for 2 years.

that's why we get free updates.

It has nothing to do with AT&T service.

Apple does the same thing when accounting for Apple TV's as well. and that's why the Apple TV gets free updates.

Apple does NOT do this with iPods. any of them. They account for them all at the beginning and therefore cannot give out huge product functionality upgrades without breaking S-O accounting laws.

OK? got it?

good!

I'm not saying they were tied together, just that one advantage of having an iTouch is not having to pay the monthly phone bill that comes associated with the iPhone.

digital

Banned
goodcow said:
Same here at least for the fans. The fans spin up in my unibody MacBook and my friend's last generation MacBook whenever we're watching Flash video.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
LCfiner said:

OK? got it?

good!

Um, this is a debate that I'm sure is larger than this thread, but that justification is bullshit. You're the second person to say that in this thread and it's an absurd argument. SOX puts tighter regulations on how you account for things, it doesn't prevent you from giving away something for free.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
digital said:
Same here at least for the fans. The fans spin up in my unibody MacBook and my friend's last generation MacBook whenever we're watching Flash video.
Same here, fans go mad when I watch flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom