• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents Yeezus |OT| #YeezySeason Approaches

kamspy

So there are Yellow Tape explicits too?

I wonder if they have the new iTunes mix on them....

Someone needs to go deeper.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So there are Yellow Tape explicits too?

I wonder if they have the new iTunes mix on them....

Someone needs to go deeper.
Yellow tape explicits were they day one though. Someone had a copy with yellow tape before release.

Red_Man

Red_Man

When did Walmart change their policy?
Poster above me said Canadian Wal Marts sell explicit material, it's the first cd I've ever bought in Wal Mart I just saw it in there the other day and picked it up for my car.

The true land of freedom my friend!

Red_Man

7ufO03G.jpg

WorldStar

Banned
this album keeps getting better the more I listen to it

also I thought yellow tape originally meant international release, fuck if I know though

Ashhong

First impression is like all other Kanye albums. The production is great and innovative, lyricism is 50/50, and it'll ultimately sounded dated and annoying by the time his next album hits.

What. I can honestly say that none of his albums feel dated to me. Sure they use an old style and theme, but never do I listen to any of his albums and think that they sound dated. That's the genius of Kanye

Himself

What. I can honestly say that none of his albums feel dated to me. Sure they use an old style and theme, but never do I listen to any of his albums and think that they sound dated. That's the genius of Kanye

I dunno. Just how I feel. Just imagining hearing "Can we get much highya? So hiiiigh" gets under my skin. His albums are always very time-and-place-y for me. Or maybe I just hear they so god damn much I get sick of them.

Ashhong

I dunno. Just how I feel. Just imagining hearing "Can we get much highya? So hiiiigh" gets under my skin. His albums are always very time-and-place-y for me. Or maybe I just hear they so god damn much I get sick of them.

Yea...can't agree with you there. I can go all the way back and turn on CD with no problems. Spaceship, Jesus walks, all falls down, hell even Slow Jams.

Too many Urkels on your team that's why your Winslow!

Too good.

My friends who like rap don't like the production on this new album. I think they're crazy, but I will admit his lyrics...aren't great here. I think he hit his peak lyrically with MBDTF, but this seems like a major downgrade. Either that or Kanye just really didnt give a fuck when he made this album.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
My friends who like rap don't like the production on this new album. I think they're crazy, but I will admit his lyrics...aren't great here. I think he hit his peak lyrically with MBDTF, but this seems like a major downgrade. Either that or Kanye just really didnt give a fuck when he made this album.
Worst lyrics since Graduation for sure.

Worst lyrics since Graduation for sure.

Graduation has its moments though. For this album I'm just not hearing the usual heart and soul Kanye puts in. I still love the album but I have to put this in a very different spot than the rest of his albums. Even 808s, which I think is the most hated Ye album, you can tell there was so much heart put into it.

Ashhong

Graduation has its moments though. For this album I'm just not hearing the usual heart and soul Kanye puts in. I still love the album but I have to put this in a very different spot than the rest of his albums. Even 808s, which I think is the most hated Ye album, you can tell there was so much heart put into it.

Odd comment about 808s. I would say that album is easily his most heartfelt album

genjiZERO

WTF does "post-rap" mean?

By "post rap" I really mean contemporary rap albums that are strongly theatrical, highly conceptualized and very often the musicality is as important as the quality of the rapping.

There's something different about these albums (other than pure quality) that sets them apart - something stylistic. I think "post" is appropriate because in art history things that are post very often are movements trying to move away from the mainstream, but at the same time are also trying to redefine a new mainstream.

Anyway, what I'm trying to do is describe a mainstream style that sounds different, but not necessarily counter to other mainstream styles, but do so in a way that works with art terminology.

There's no way GKMC could be considered "post" anything. That's like the rappiest rap album in rap town.

Well it's extremely theatrical. It's as operatic as MBDTF. But I agree that the rapping in it is pretty straightforward (which is one of the reasons I like it so much). I think it perfectly skirts being a normal rap music with being a "rap opera".

EloquentM

aka Mannny
By "post rap" I really mean contemporary rap albums that are strongly theatrical, highly conceptualized and very often the musicality is as important as the quality of the rapping.

There's something different about these albums (other than pure quality) that sets them apart - something stylistic. I think "post" is appropriate because in art history things that are post very often are movements trying to move away from the mainstream, but at the same time are also trying to redefine a new mainstream.

Anyway, what I'm trying to do is describe a mainstream style that sounds different, but not necessarily counter to other mainstream styles, but do so in a way that works with art terminology.

Well it's extremely theatrical. It's as operatic as MBDTF. But I agree that the rapping in it is pretty straightforward (which is one of the reasons I like it so much). I think it perfectly skirts being a normal rap music with being a "rap opera".
you're describing reasonable doubt?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wait.. do I have to open my CD and rip off the tape to join the giveaway or is there another way to do this for me without putting the CD in?

What about the code on the tape? Can I just input that or something?

genjiZERO

Jay-z first album...have you heard it?

Oh...bwahaha (sorry I'm a lawyer when I see "reasonable doubt" I think of law stuff).

Yeah sure if you want to think about it that way. Although RD lacks some of the deliberate musicality of some of the more contemporary stuff. Like everything in art stylistic terms are pretty plastic, and are designed to convey a general idea more than anything else.

Angry Fork

Kanye has always been terrible lyrically, there was never a reason to be hyped for his verses on anything. He's also a raging hypocrite who is either incapable of being able to make decisions on how to live his life and what his opinions are, or he's just doing all this pseudo-activist shit to be talked about again after the swag-ego fest that was Dark Fantasy.

Anyway, he's still a great producer. I like the sounds coming out of this. More similar to 808s which is my favorite of Kanye's and I think his best work. I like when he experiments. Wish he would do it more often and put out an instrumental-only album.

Not sure how to feel on some of the lines in this, like him using black panthers fist and fisting a woman in the same breath. I genuinely don't know if he's just doing it to be controversial to pump himself out there more or if he thinks he's being some kind of unique genius by combining opposite extremes for some sociopolitical ends. I'm inclined to believe he's an idiot man child who doesn't think much about what he says, not sure though.

Red_Man

Wait.. do I have to open my CD and rip off the tape to join the giveaway or is there another way to do this for me without putting the CD in?

What about the code on the tape? Can I just input that or something?
Code is on the back off the tape on the outside, but I'm not sure if that's useable or not.

SKINNER!

Banned
Saw the CD in the store today. Unusually stands out on the shelf considering it doesn't have any cover/disc art or even a track list on the back. Well played Kanye. Boring red sticker label though. Would have been really cool with the proper red duct tape and Yeezus scribble on it.

Nah, Reasonable Doubt's beats were all loop-jobs just like every other album from that era.

you mean the Golden era of the whole gotdamn genre?

Production on this album is high quality. I can already see the flood of theatrical trailers that'll use some pounding cut from this album...and why not, the beats hit hard.
Not my shit tho.

Kanye is definitely a better producer than he is a rapper or lyricist. I don't think there's anything mindblowing about the production here though. I like New Slaves. I laughed at the 9.5 pitchfork review. I don't get it.
I do. they get massive hard ons over experimental shit.

Novid

Banned
Ok. Here my problem with Yeesus - and why im disappointed - MTBDF had 4 good songs, Power, Gorgeous, Runaway, Lost In the World.

If he made yeesus in the same vain as Gorgeous as a template - he would had one song (Blood on The Leaves) that would have been the greatest of his career. Instead he went more towards his weakest song on the last album and did 6 of the 10 songs in Yeesus. And yet Yeesus has the best song endings that are not heard anywhere in music, which pisses me off because I KNOW Ye better than this. Hes just on angry horny otaku mode for no god damn reason.

ampere

Been listening to the album more and I only really like Black Skinhead and Hold My Liquor.

Pretty big letdown, oh well. Still will be interested to see what he does next.

solarus

Inightful pitchfork article
http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/9157-the-yeezus-sessions/
The Yeezus Sessions
We talk to seven men who helped create Kanye's polarizing thunderbolt of an album, including Bon Iver's Justin Vernon, producer Hudson Mohawke, and more.

"Everything is him, to be real. Regardless of who additionally produced things, it's his curation. And this idea that he's not as hands-on in the studio now is bull****. He is the consummate producer."
Noah Goldstein
I knew it, yall spread some bullshit that he does fuck all in regards to making the music nowadays, this fits along with the mike dean AMA which talks about how Ye is the lead producer who sifts through and chooses the best work from everyone and makes it work. Ye touches everything.
Hudson Mohawke: There are a lot of amazing songs that were left off [Yeezus]-- stuff that you might consider to be more melodic or in-line with Kanye's previous material-- purely because they didn't necessarily fit this rough-edged, 90s-industrial-type vibe. A lot of the record is trying to avoid obviousness. Through the entire process of putting it together, there were tons of easy slam dunks, but rather than just going for the hits and having an album that nobody's going to give a **** about in a month or two, he intentionally sidestepped the obvious route each time. I think that's what going to give it more longevity and put it in a category of records that you'll go back to in 10 years time.
GIMME them tracks Ye, Good friday that shit or something.

P.S. Yeezus still on repeat non stop this is his third best work so far, maybe second. I'm out.

besada

Banned
Finally got a chance to listen to this on Spotify this weekend and really enjoyed it. Some of the mid-song tonal shifts don't work for me, but overall it's a very energetic album. the wife and I listened to it while driving and Black Skinhead, I am a God, and Blood on the Leaves were very interesting to us.

rosarkar

Neo Member
Inightful pitchfork article
P.S. Yeezus still on repeat non stop this is his third best work so far.

Preach, Yeezus has been on repeat for me since release. Only CD and LR feel "superior" at the moment - probably a result of the years that passed since their release. I relate to CD the most.

Top Bottom