• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kanye West presents Yeezus |OT| #YeezySeason Approaches

solarus

Reposting this for new page since it was basically at the end of the last page:
Inightful pitchfork article
http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/9157-the-yeezus-sessions/
The Yeezus Sessions
We talk to seven men who helped create Kanye's polarizing thunderbolt of an album, including Bon Iver's Justin Vernon, producer Hudson Mohawke, and more.

"Everything is him, to be real. Regardless of who additionally produced things, it's his curation. And this idea that he's not as hands-on in the studio now is bull****. He is the consummate producer."
Noah Goldstein
Goes well with what Mike Dean had said earlier in another interview.
”[West] is more the producer that oversees everybody now," Dean says during the interview. "He gets teams of producers to work under him. When I first started working with him, I mixed two, three songs on his first record at my house in Texas. I'd say, 'Ah, I could help you on this track.' He'd say, 'I make beats. That's what I do.' That was 10 years ago, I guess. Now he lets everybody put input in and he sorts through it. We’ll have eight producers putting parts on one song and then we’ll just pick through it, pick what’s good."
Also this is interesting, another quote from the pitchfork article.
Hudson Mohawke: There are a lot of amazing songs that were left off [Yeezus]-- stuff that you might consider to be more melodic or in-line with Kanye's previous material-- purely because they didn't necessarily fit this rough-edged, 90s-industrial-type vibe. A lot of the record is trying to avoid obviousness. Through the entire process of putting it together, there were tons of easy slam dunks, but rather than just going for the hits and having an album that nobody's going to give a **** about in a month or two, he intentionally sidestepped the obvious route each time. I think that's what going to give it more longevity and put it in a category of records that you'll go back to in 10 years time.

Servbot24

Banned
I hope we get to hear those hits he threw away.

And sifting through everyone's work and choosing the best stuff sounds pretty hands-off to me.

solarus

I hope we get to hear those hits he threw away.

And sifting through everyone's work and choosing the best stuff sounds pretty hands-off to me.

Smh I should just edit that out, that's not all he is doing, he is fully involved in the production, using other work as a basis. It's no less hands on than when using samples, taking others work and re-working it.

Bowser

I've probably listened to this album front to back no less than 50 times in one week. Definitely in my personal top 3 of Kanye's discog

solarus

I'm using default, but this one looks dope:
blacksi624.jpg

hoos30

The more I think about it, Ye using a sample of "Strange Fruit", one of the most important songs in American history, to make another bitch & hoe/Amber Rose song, is flat out sacrilegious.

Draper

The more I think about it, Ye using a sample of "Strange Fruit", one of the most important songs in American history, to make another bitch & hoe/Amber Rose song, is flat out sacrilegious.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way. But if I ignore the context, the beat is pretty hot.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kanye West: The Transformer
With limitless ambition, Kanye West is out to remake the world in his image. Christopher Bagley meets the man who would be god (W Mag Interview

Funny bit talking about working w/ Hov on WTT: “It was like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates talking at the same time. You know which one of us was Steve.”
I read this and just got fucking inspired.

Not even kidding, I'm hitting my sketchbook right now.

Also the P4K interviews were good too.

Servbot24

Banned
I read this and just got fucking inspired.

Not even kidding, I'm hitting my sketchbook right now.

Also the P4K interviews were good too.

Kanye inspires me too. I'm glad he boasts about his ambitions. Not really into the clothing and jewelry talk but that's okay.

LR > MBDTF > CD > Grad > 808s > Yeezus

I still enjoy Yeezus a lot though.

Someone posted this one awhile back, but I've been using it as my cover.

Source

Also, I just heard Blood on the Leaves on the radio and my roommate told me he heard I Am A God last week. Pretty interesting to see what the radio chooses to play from the album.

KingKong

Is that all you took away from that song and sample choice?

Ephemeris

I will say, I was only feeling like 3 tracks on my first listen. Immediately thought it was his weakest album by default.

Repeat listens definitely sounds better. Wish there were more tracks (I feel like I could guarantee that the stuff he tossed is more in vein with my fave tracks). Unsure how I'd rank it though.

Someone posted this one awhile back, but I've been using it as my cover.

Source

mine too

lol, I understood what the use of air quotes meant. I was curious why you don't consider it music. I suppose I should have been more direct.

Wow this sparked up some conversation huh? I mean obviously everyone has their own taste... To me anyways music is something that's actually nice to listen to, whereas this just isn't.

I guess you could compare it to the whole what is art argument, a lot of people would look at some more modern artworks and claim that they're not art - kind of the same thing.

Wow this sparked up some conversation huh? I mean obviously everyone has their own taste... To me anyways music is something that's actually nice to listen to, whereas this just isn't.

I guess you could compare it to the whole what is art argument, a lot of people would look at some more modern artworks and claim that they're not art - kind of the same thing.

Tell that to an entire genre called death metal.

anything can be music.

Trigger

Is the production just too busy for you or something? I just find that a weird stance to take.

Cheddahz

Banned
I've been listening to this album nonstop since it leaked, I should probably just go buy a copy of it, but this album is tied with LR as my favorite Kanye album

So standout tracks for me:
On Sight
New Slaves (I think this could be one of the best Yee songs in recent memory)

Overall though, i'm not too impressed with the album, but I love that he dared to do something different especially compared to todays pop-hop.

Yep. I agree too. What a waste of a good beat.

Crazyorloco

Hold my liquor and Blood on the leaves are my favorite tracks.

Blood on the leaves is so so good. Nice beat, lyrics sound like he went through some shit. I just went through a break up so I'm loving this song.

Best tracks and in order:
Black Skinhead
Hold My Liqour
I'm In It
Bound 2
New Slaves

The rest are ok. This album is definitely a grower for me though my list was definitely shorter a week ago. Second best album of the year so far for me behind Settle by Disclosure

Top Bottom