• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucifer |OT| The Devil Takes a Holiday - Monday, 9PM, FOX

Penguin

I figured no one else is gonna make this nor are many gonna watch it, but I'm sure someone will.

Premise
The show (loosely) based on the character created by Neil Gaiman (a recurring character in his Sandman series), takes its guise as a police procedural, with the Fallen One aiding the Los Angeles Police Department in a series of crimes

CZktiSJVIAAkbjU.png

Characters:
Tom Ellis as Lucifer Morningstar - The Devil
Lauren German as Chloe Decker - Immune to the Devil's Charm
D. B. Woodside as Amenadiel - Angel dude

I don't know, it airs on FOX at 9pm and premiere 1.25.16 behind the X-Files.

TheOddOne

- Slant: Lucifer: Season One Review.
As a character, Lucifer has his origins in Neil Gaiman and Sam Kieth's Sandman comic-book series, where he was written as less flashy and more contemplative—an existential trickster. Here, he's more like a character from Entourage with super powers. Of course, the series has absolutely no obligation to show any fidelity to what Gaiman and Kieth dreamed up, but the show's creators have replaced the original Lucifer with neither a counterpoint nor an interesting abstraction. Instead, they've simply shaped yet another paean to the perfect dude, who can carry on a lewd, open affair with his psychiatrist, play matchmaker with Dancer and her ex, and solve every major crime that the LAPD is called in for. Ultimately, the series acts less like a reflection of Lucifer's presumed many sides than a proverbial red carpet for him to stroll upon.
mjcry1.png

Toa TAK

Banned
Will give it a shot. I can't escape it really, as there's this big billboard everytime I'm coming home. >_>

EDIT: Oh God, maybe not.^^

Line_HTX

Finally the day has arrived. I just hope it's decent enough to keep me entertained.

I only know DB Woodside from 24, season 5 when he was the other President Palmer.

maxcriden

Dang. Sounds no bueno. I hope we get some good new midseason shows this year. Containment seems like the most promising one but there are a few other network shows that potentially seem iffy out the gate.

Busty

Banned
Amazon Prime (is it still called that?) UK is showing this the day after it airs in the US if anyone is interested.

I feel like this is only going to be a colossal waste of time or a huge hit. No in-between.

Bitanator

Oh look a new police procedural because we need another. Is that televisions safest bet? Much like the mob is to movies, those kinds of shows always seem to be popular

I thought Limitless was going be train wreck, but it's turning out to be pretty fun. I can give this show a shot even though I'm not familiar with the source material.

Honestly, I forgot about this show existed until Supernatural joked about it last week and then NFC championship game promos.

maxcriden

Oh look a new police procedural because we need another. Is that televisions safest bet? Much like the mob is to movies, those kinds of shows always seem to be popular

Safest bet and safest bomb. It's a huge toss-up. Ask Ironside, Prime Suspect, The Unusuals and Golden Boy if police procedural was a good move, to me a few recent examples. 😉 It does tend to be high risk high reward though when they land.

Dabanton

Yeah police procedurals can be a pretty good bet TV show wise. How they've turned one of the more interesting graphic novel characters into a procedural is amazing.

I'm just imagining an actual unfiltered Lucifer TV show and how epic that would have been.

Pilgrimzero

Much like iZombie, you are going to have to divorce this from its comic origin.

It remains to be seen if it will be a good show though. At the end of the day it's another police procedural. Just like iZombie!

It was that or a law show or a hospital show.... Which frankly either of those 2 may have been better.

I'll give it a few episodes but I don't think a show about 'the devil' no matter how 'good' he is will last long.

Mike Carey's comic book series that this is (loooooosely) based off, "Lucifer", is one of the best comic book series I've ever read, and I thoroughly recommend it.

Helps if you've read Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" first though (Lucifer is a spin off title). I think most people know that Sandman is also one of the best comic book series ever. If not THE best.

Just saying so no one watches this, hates it and then skips the comic books assuming they're the same. They are not

Dynasty

Limitless and iZombie both shows I thought would be mediocre, was completely wrong on both accounts so going to give this a shot. Loved the reference in Supernatural to this show.

Line_HTX

5 minutes until the pilot premiere.

Okay, Lucifer Morningstar. How bored must you be to goof around in Los Angeles...

Line_HTX

Let's see, the 7th of never to the 15th of never gonna happen, how does that work dor you?

Don't know, don't care. Not my problem, my brother.

Not watching it yet, because I'm saving it at 12am. I'm not expecting much, but will give it a shot for the Hell of it.

Lauren German was good in Chicago Fire, and I'll watch it to see how she does. She looks great in this -- it took me a bit to realize it was her.

Top Bottom