• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: X360 New Japan Scandal (Banned Words Redux)

mintylurb

Linkzg said:
you had me convinced until I scrolled down.

and the actual op is pretty interesting, I can see why that is a big deal.
If you want to know more about it, this link might provide a bit more detailed background information regarding this island dispute.

As for why dokdo is allowed but takeshima is banned, who really knows. Perhaps ms decided to allow dokdo as the island is currently under s.k control. I'm rather curious to know what ms did with the kuril islands(dispute with russia) or senkaku islands(dispute with china).

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Crushed said:
6ks54ir.png

:lol

Oh Snap!!! :lol :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
HAHAHAHAHA

KOREAN CATS WATCH OUT!

Mandoric

Banned
ThirdEye said:
What did Microsoft say?

Effectively nothing; it's so contentless as to not really merit translation. "Thanks for your support of Xbox Live; recently, there's been questions about filtered words, and we're reviewing things. Sorry to rile you up."

Borys

Banned
Mandoric said:
Hate to bump, but this has made TV news, as seen , and MS has issued a notice on Xbox.com.

お客様各位

日頃は Xbox 360® をご愛顧いただきまして、誠にありがとうございます。

Xbox 360 のオンラインサービスである Xbox LIVE® の一部の文字入力フィールドにおいて、 不適切な入力チェックが行われている ことが判明し、現在修正作業に着手しております。

本件に関しまして、お客様に混乱を招き、ご迷惑をおかけしておりますことを深くお詫び申し上げます。

マイクロソフト株式会社

ホーム& エンターテイメント事業本部

What does it say?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
OUTRAGIOUS!!!

I have no clue why, but I'm outraged! I'm so full of adrenaline right now, I won't be able to sleep for a week! DAMN YOU XBOX LIVE/JAPAN/WHOEVER IS RESPONSIBLE!

amar212

Pachael said:
East Asia has an interesting history. So meh.

You should see the Balkans history. Only 400 years old in terms of politics, but compared to 4000 years of Asia history it is probably 400X more complicated..

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Borys said:
What does it say?

Loose translation:

Thank you for choosing Xbox 360.

It has been brought to our attention that some inappropriate filters have been put into place in some entry fields on our online service, Xbox Live, and we are currently in the process of fixing them.

We apologize for the confusion that this incident may have caused.

Microsoft

Home Entertainment Department

---

The television screens show a telephone call (interview) with a Microsoft representative about the problem. They pretty much apologize for the mistake, say it was due to "human error" when putting together the last update, and say they are in the process of fixing the problem.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
sasimirobot said:
weird...how I understand that joke. An xbox speaking korean...
glad I took a break from asia

Its kind of a joke over on 2ch that the Xbox is heavily Korean influenced. Apparently a lot of the parts are made in Korea (the loud-ass LG drive, etc...) and Microsoft made a deal with Samsung to supply the televisions for the demo kiosks. Also, the vice president of Microsoft is an ethnic Korean. A lot of people also point out that on Microsoft Live Maps, Japan Sea is called "East Sea" (a word used almost exclusively by Koreans not wanting to recognize the internationally accepted name of "Sea of Japan"). Microsoft apparently "fixed" the "East Sea" naming, but the word "East Sea" still remains in parantheses under "Sea of Japan".

As usual, as soon as someone points out the problem, the mistake is rectified. But then it's always better to bitch about something than try to resolve it isn't it?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The Innocent X said:
As usual, as soon as someone points out the problem, the mistake is rectified. But then it's always better to bitch about something than try to resolve it isn't it?

Well nothing has been "rectified" yet. We'll probably have to wait until the next update to see how Microsoft responds to this.

Matt

Zefah said:
I don't want to advocate racism, but a lot of the so called "Japanese nationalists" have plenty of good reasons for disliking Koreans.
lol, right. Compared to the reasons the Koreans might have to dislike the Japanese, I don't really think the other side has a leg to stand on.

The point is really moot, though, because the dispute is so incredibly old and pointless by now that both sides should just move on.

psy18

mugwhump said:
■■PS3■■
MotorStorm(本体同梱でやっとw) ← マリオカートと比べ物にならないby SDF
Resistance(人類の存亡のために闘う神ゲー) ← SDFがもっとも好むFPS

Wait, what's this?

Motorstorm (somethingsomething) <- mariokart somethingsomething by SDF
Resistance (somethingsomething) <- SDF somethingsomething FPS

mugwhump

Zefah said:
The Koreas are more vocal about pretty much everything. Its a peninsula full of "victims" and they do their best to get everyone's attention.
Woah there, you're an angry little octopus, aren't you?

Master

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
For me it's a bigger deal that Sony banned the word "Master" from PSN user IDs.

Now that's bullshit.

Don't get me started!

my Xbox Live Gamertag: Master
my PSN user ID: IVIaster

*sigh*

Deku

Banned
Update. Funniest photoshop from 2chan (&#12405;&#12383;&#12400;&#12385;&#12419;&#12435;) the imagine board

korea360.jpg

Upon doing some very light research on Takeshima/Dokdo, it seems to me like the Japanese and South Koreans should be ashamed of themselves for giving a shit about these useless rocks.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
a Master Ninja said:
Upon doing some very light research on Takeshima/Dokdo, it seems to me like the Japanese and South Koreans should be ashamed of themselves for giving a shit about these useless rocks.

One thing you should know about the turmoil between china sk and japan is that its basically 3 really stubborn retards blaming each other for things that happened a long time ago. It's essentially just racism at this point.

trancekr

If you don't have any idea about the conflict between Korea and Japan, just shut up.

"Dokdo" is not a small useless rock on ocean. "Dokdo/Takeshima" is the symbol of this confliction.

trancekr said:
If you don't have any idea about the conflict between Korea and Japan, just shut up.

"Dokdo" is not a small useless rock on ocean. "Dokdo/Takeshima" is the symbol of this confliction.
Are you defending the teenage douchebags who put their location as "Dokdo" (or wish they could put their location as "Takeshima")?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
_dementia said:
And I thought American news was sensationalist

This isn't sensationalism at all. It's not like they this is all speculation or something. There is only one reason why "Takeshima" would be banned from entry and its obvious to anyone who knows anything about the problem.

theultimo

psy18 said:
Wait, what's this?

Motorstorm (somethingsomething) <- mariokart somethingsomething by SDF
Resistance (somethingsomething) <- SDF somethingsomething FPS
Very rough, but Resistance is the best FPS on PS3

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
a Master Ninja said:

You can rule out an oversight in this situation. It would be like outlawing the word "Portland" as a valid location. There is simply no reason for "Takeshima" to be banned. In fact, there are a few other towns in other areas of Japan called "Takeshima".

Unless Microsoft just took a list of "inappropriate" words made by some Korean guy and just plugged them into the last update without looking at them, then I don't see how this can be an oversight. Even if that is the case, its still pretty inexcusable.

trancekr

a Master Ninja said:
Are you defending the teenage douchebags who put their location as "Dokdo" (or wish they could put their location as "Takeshima")?

I'm not defending putting some random address on profile.
Also I don't want to debate about the whole "Dokdo / Takeshima" situation.

But "Dokdo" is Korean territory and Korean people have occupied "Dokdo" for about 1000 years. There is the address for that useless small rock in Korea.
That's why "Dokdo" is in the regional setting.

Matt

Zefah said:
You can rule out an oversight in this situation. It would be like outlawing the word "Portland" as a valid location. There is simply no reason for "Takeshima" to be banned. In fact, there are a few other towns in other areas of Japan called "Takeshima".

Unless Microsoft just took a list of "inappropriate" words made by some Korean guy and just plugged them into the last update without looking at them, then I don't see how this can be an oversight. Even if that is the case, its still pretty inexcusable.
Then what are you saying this is about? Do you really think that Microsoft is trying to push a political agenda with XBox Live regional settings? Do you understand how ridiculous that sounds?

gray_fox224

trancekr said:

But "Dokdo" is Korean territory and Korean people have occupied "Dokdo" for about 1000 years. There is the address for that useless small rock in Korea.

Good job Ito.

I still don't get the big deal behind all this: there's a subset of racist Japanese who hate Koreans and consider themselves superior - so what? Not only is this totally not new, but it's probably for the better that Microsoft Japan has the word banned to try and stop people from posting racist things on their profiles (and I'd be willing to wager that the reason Takeshima's Korean equivalent isn't banned is because it's not something you'd commonly write in Japanese).

Why is this new? And more importantly: who gives a fuck?

Zefah said:
Not really possible. There is no other reason why they would ban the word "Takeshima" other than the dispute of the archipellago. It was probably the initiative of some Korean (probably Korean-American) person working in the Xbox department who got "Takeshima" banned.

I don't want to advocate racism, but a lot of the so called "Japanese nationalists" have plenty of good reasons for disliking Koreans.
I happen to think the idea of Microsoft being lazy and using a half-assed (possibly secondhand) censorship list is just as reasonable an explanation as The Great Shane Kim Conspiracy™.

Slavik81

a Master Ninja said:
You know better than that. Of course it has nothing to do with the actual islands.

Malfunky

Zefah said:

Sorry to say, but everyone with an outside view on this situation will undoubtedly see this statement as just bullshit. Racism is the only reason to "dislike" an entire race. There is no gray in that, at all.

I can understand disagreeing with a government and all.. but you're doing a terrible job at hiding your colors.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
trancekr said:

More like 1000 years ago...
Japan pretty much took the island in the late 1500s and had a small population of fishermen living there during the Edo period (or the Joseon period for the Koreans). Later, at the end of the Russo-Japanese war, Japan officially declared the island as part of Shimane prefecture. By the time Korean government officials found out about this, their country was already a protectorate of the Japanese empire.

The San Francisco treaty, which defined the new Japan's borders did not mention Takeshima / Dokdo and when Japan and Korea normalized relations in the 60s, both parties were careful not to mention the status of the islands. Before normalizaiton however, the South Korean government took the initiative to establish a military presence on the islands which were not the property of either country according to international law. During the period before normalization a few Japanese fishermen were killed and thousands more were abducted by South Koreans under the pretense that the Japanese fishermen were unlawfully entering Korean territory. Again, the area was not officially part of South Korea or Japan according to international law.

To this day, South Korea keeps helicopter landing pads and a small military presence on the island even though they really have no claim to the islands in an international sense. Japan has proposed many times that they settle the issue in the International Court of Justice, but South Korea has constantly refused.

The islands were definitely originally part of Korea, but they have also been claimed and often occupied by Japan from around the 1600s (possibly even earlier). The debate is definitely a difficult one, but I personally cannot agree with Korea's super aggressive attitude and unwillingness to discuss the issue.

Top Bottom