• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, out now for iOS (w/ controller & online multiplayer)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
This is the one game I would buy a controller for an iPad for.

Speaking of, are there any good stands that can hold up an iPad Air in place so that a person's hands can hold such a controller?

I don't think I would recommend starting here... Not only is MHFU one of the most user unfriendly and difficult games out there (so much more than even modern MH in regards to user unfriendliness) but I can imagine playing it on a phone would work out that well

Of course if you only have an IPhone it could be an interesting place to start as long as you keep that stuff in mind

Well soft lock is a godsend there. I usually soft lock onto the monster and then quickly readjust to get a better view. When up close and attacking a can still swing the camera around to help me see and evade attack

I never played with the CPP and I actually don't mind it one bit

A controller is highly recommended at least

Kysen

I never understood why people get uppity about lockon in MH. There is nothing skillful about positioning a camera.

test_account

XP-39C²
A perma lock means spacing and positioning are sort of done for you.
Maybe i'm misunderstanding, but how does this compare to games like Soul Sacrifice and Toukiden if you have played those? There you can keep the lock on the enemy all the time, but thats only the camera that locks on, you have to avoid all attacks and such manually.

mackattk

I really wish developers would support Android more. I absolutely love my Note 3, but can't say I haven't been tempted to jump ship for the game support on iOS.

Anura

Maybe i'm misunderstanding, but how does this compare to games like Soul Sacrifice and Toukiden if you have played those? There you can keep the lock on the enemy all the time, but thats only the camera that locks on, you have to avoid all attacks and such manually.
It doesn't. All it does is it might make it harder to dodge them with certain monsters and even then it's still a "might"

Past the PSP iterations MH is also a significantly more complex game than either of those two especially where patterns are concerned but even then I doubt it would make much of a difference in most fights if introduced to them

also you should check out MH if you haven't already ;)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
This will be great on the 4.7-inch iPhone 6!
I might comeback to iOS of the iPhone 6 has finally such a regular sized screen. The most powerful hardware is useless on the tiny iPhone screen.

Were there some sleek gamepad cases being made for iphone?

Not exactly, there's a Logitech one which is too limited to be useful and this one from Moga:

61%2BFAEIVNIL._SL1400_.jpg

Neither would fit a larger phone.

test_account

XP-39C²
It doesn't. All it does is it might make it harder to dodge them with certain monsters and even then it's still a "might"

Past the PSP iterations MH is also a significantly more complex game than either of those two especially where patterns are concerned but even then I doubt it would make much of a difference in most fights if introduced to them

also you should check out MH if you haven't already ;)
Ok, i see :)

Hopefully i will get around to try some of the Monster Hunter games some day.

Chuckpebble

This could be very dangerous for me. I could see myself giving in to the temptation to mess around with armor combinations all day while I ought to be working.

Anura

This could be very dangerous for me. I could see myself giving in to the temptation to mess around with armor combinations all day while I ought to be working.

I wish MHFU had good combo options... Lack of charms makes it easier to have the "best" stuff but options and variety are gone thanks to it... Heck in MH3U you didn't even need an amazing charm for an amazing set

raphanum

MH 3 Ultimate has been released in the west, and MH4 Ultimate has been confirmed for a west release early next year.

Give them some time, they might bring this game to the west too.

Although I have MH3U on 3DS, I cannot stomach the controls without the circle pad pro XL. I need MH4 on vita :(

Anyway, I apologise for being pathetically unsatisfied.

Although I have MH3U on 3DS, I cannot stomach the controls without the circle pad pro XL. I need MH4 on vita :(

Preach brother!

Dying for thr next MH on Vita but ill be happy to have options on mobile

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

MH4 for Vita will only be for Japan only, you won't get to play it either way, in English at least, so there's really no point.

Will rather it to come over properly in English.

Peru

The 3ds offers full ease of use with target cam and full dual analogue if you so desire. In any case after mh4u i'm sure the next fully new entry will be for the 3ds successor with built in 2nd stick anyway.

I never understood why people get uppity about lockon in MH. There is nothing skillful about positioning a camera.

The point is your free aim means you aim for specific parts of the monster and you're not slashing away like against the zelda bosses while not thinking about positioning the same way. It changes things.

Toxi

Banned
The point is your free aim means you aim for specific parts of the monster and you're not slashing away like against the zelda bosses while not thinking about positioning the same way. It changes things.
If you look at the Bulldrome webm, it only aims the camera, not the character. Doesn't seem like an issue to me.
Native iPad screenshots (2048 x 1536)

More

http://monhang.net/mh-all/11244/
Narga's model looks nice.

Preach brother!

Dying for thr next MH on Vita but ill be happy to have options on mobile
MH4 for Vita will only be for Japan only, you won't get to play it either way, in English at least, so there's really no point.

Will rather it to come over properly in English.
There should be a drinking game for how many posts can talk about Monster Hunter 4 on Vita in a thread about Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G on iOS.

Kysen

It changes things.

Nope, lockon only orients the camera, the player can still face whatever way they want. We aren't talking about the same kind of lock on like dark souls where you are forced to face the target constantly(for circle strafing).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Danke ;-)
Looks really nice, better than expected - solid port.

Vuze

While continuing work on the patch, I found some intersting strings that have been added to the iOS port:

購入がキャンセルされました - Purchase canceled
クエストが追加されました - Quest added
追加クエストを購入しますか? - Purchase additional quests?

Along with some other interface strings like 購入価格 (price) and クエスト名 (name). Hmmmmmmmm. I used a translator but I doubt the meaning could vary greatly.

Quest packs IAP coming up? Guh, I hope not, I was really happy with the port as it is :| Maybe (hopefully) just left-overs of scrapped plans...

Vuze

If somebody is still intersted in it: published the first version of my english patch for this game, it covers most things.

German tutorial / english hardsubs included: http://youtu.be/hom6ZUkdIto

Currently untranslated:
- NPC dialogues
- Some Guildcard strings
- Most new strings created for the iOS port
- Names & descriptions of Japan-exclusive DLC stuff

How to install via Cydia (JB-only):
1. Install MHP2ndG for iOS
2. Add repo (see above)
3. Install patch from repo

How to install via iTunes (JB&non-JB):
1. Locate MHP2G 1.00.02.ipa in your iTunes/Mobile Applications folder
2. Copy MHP2G 1.00.02.ipa to the same folder as Patch.bat and 7za.exe
3. Make sure ipa is not read-only
4. Run Patch.bat
5. Put modified MHP2G 1.00.02.ipa back to your Mobile Applications folder
6. Install via iTunes

➤ Repo: http://cydia.myrepospace.com/mhvuze/
➤ Download ipa Patch (includes only patch files, no crack or anything): http://ul.to/yo97f6r0

Goli

It seems to be performing just as well as the FF ports do when they're released, but I think since MH has online multiplayer and if no other big releases come soon it could hold its ground as the number one paid app on both iPhone and iPad for a longer time than other games.

SteveWD40

Has there been any word on a western release at all? Seems no reason to delay it as far as I can see (since the localization dialogue exists already) they don't even have distribution costs.

Has there been any word on a western release at all? Seems no reason to delay it as far as I can see (since the localization dialogue exists already) they don't even have distribution costs.

Strongly hinted at by the ingame files

they even have an english logo

Any more media on this?

News?

How is it performing? Are they going to do Android?

What about other games? MHP3rd/MH4/MH3G etc....

Trailer for English version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osVmVHKo0ME

Doesn't give a date, but soon?

One of the most popular PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system titles arrives on the App Store. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite™ was based on Japan's Monster Hunter Portable™ 2nd G and originally released in 2009 in the west. The PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system title was a global success with sales of more than four million units worldwide, contributing to the series' total of more than 28 million units to date. From devising the strategy to executing the attack, players will need to work together in order to hunt down ferocious beasts and progress through the wide range of quests on offer. Players will be rewarded for their use of deep fighting combat systems, encouraging them to seek out the more experienced hunters and team up in order to learn from their expertise. Several features have been added for the new version including: higher HD resolution graphics, touch screen optimized controls, target camera options, support for MFi controllers and seamless co-op multiplayer quests via Wi-Fi connection for up to four

decaf

There's a clean, direct hands-on vid from E3 over here. I'm don't bother with MFi controllers myself, so these touchscreen optimised controls had better be something very special indeed.

Chuckpebble

So if I'm on iOS 7, is it MFi or nothin' for me?

Also, anyone have tips on how to get notified the moment MHFU hits the US appstore? Wish there was an actual date so I didn't have to search the appstore every damn day.

Top Bottom