• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrbob

You wanna talk about disappearing acts?!

YOU WANNA TALK ABOUT DISAPPEARING ACTS?!

Jordan decides to leave the league to inexplicably start a baseball career
People call Jordan greedy but look at how generous he really was. He allowed Houston to have two chips in the 90s. That's the definition of charity.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
BadAssDaGawd has you covered:

LeBron didn't just mentally check out of that Game 5, he literally checked out (and left) with 6 minutes left in a close out game.

GTFOOH with that "but he got 30 and 10" noise. This is the Finals and it was a close out game. If you ain't going down swinging there, where are you gonna do it?

I was agreeing with you. I said he quit. But, you can't ignore everything else that was going on either. He still played 41 minutes, Bosh and Wade gave him barely anything, and Allen gave him nothing.

Ninjimbo

Lebron is moody as fuck. I don't blame him for checking out in that close out game. The Spurs were making demoralizing shots and his teammates just couldn't keep up. Ray Allen was the only other guy bothering to put up a fight. The Spurs were just awesome in that series.

I'm a Heat fan and I didn't even feel bad about seeing the Heat lose. They were a better team in every way.

People call Jordan greedy but look at how generous he really was. He allowed Houston to have two chips in the 90s. That's the definition of charity.
Houston was the only team with a winning record against the bulls that first 3-peat, so, nah.

Dream and mad Max did an amazing job of checking Jordan and taking advantage of the bulls relatively weaker front court

BadAss2961

LeBron didn't just mentally check out of that Game 5, he literally checked out (and left) with 6 minutes left in a close out game.

GTFOOH with that "but he got 30 and 10" noise. This is the Finals and it was a close out game. If you ain't going down swinging there, where are you gonna do it?
Never forget.

It was still a doable game too. I think the lead was only in the high teens with 6 minutes left. Crazier things have happened. Could've at least made things interesting with a run.

Jarate

Banned
I just don't see the Cavs being able to stop all KD. The only option is to play Lebron on KD, and then hope TT or Kevin Love can guard Draymond well.

5-1 during the first 3 peat. 12-6 from 85 to 93.

http://www.clutchfans.net/opponent_history.cfm?TeamID=24

From the clutch city documentary:

A journalist covering the Bulls claimed he was talking to Jordan in '92 in the locker room after the Bulls lost yet again to Hakeem's Rockets, and he says Jordan told him "you know it's a good thing these guys can't get out of the west." and the reporter asked "why?" and Jordan's response was (regarding Hakeem) - "we have no answer for that guy."

It's time we wake up and acknowledge that Jordan pulled the greatest disappearing act of all time

XD

Houston was the only team with a winning record against the bulls that first 3-peat, so, nah.

Dream and mad Max did an amazing job of checking Jordan and taking advantage of the bulls relatively weaker front court

Houston got a big boost when Barkley got hurt two years in a row during the playoffs. Same can be said for the Bulls, who got to face a Phoenix team with a limited Kevin Johnson. Still it took six games, 40ppg from Jordan and a last second shot to beat the Suns. Yet New York was probably the best team in the league that season (92-93). Bulls needed a perfect game and some bad shooting from the Knicks to steal one game in New York.

Lebron deserves a little shit for checking out early in game 5 against the Spurs, but not much. Games 3 and 4 were absolute beat-downs. The Spurs may have set a field goal percentage record in the first halves of those games. When Lebron went to the bench Wade could do nothing. It was ugly. In game 5 he played 41:15. They were down 16 and he was cooked.

Yeah I fully expect ZaZa and McGee to use all 12 of those fouls per game.

McGee has actually being a good basketball player this season, I think he gets a bigger role than that as he takes away some of the Cavs advantage on the paint.

This has been a low key story to this Finals, but the center position on the Warriors is like ridiculously improved. It's not just Durant that the Cavs have to worry about.

Nafai1123

Banned
McGee has actually being a good basketball player this season, I think he gets a bigger role than that as he takes away some of the Cavs advantage on the paint.

This has been a low key story to this Finals, but the center position on the Warriors is like ridiculously improved. It's not just Durant that the Cavs have to worry about.

Yup. Zaza/McGee/West>Bogut/Ezeli/Hair. Length and vertically is so much better and doesn't even include what KD brings over Barnes.

Trey

We here again, Cav-GAF!

Cav in 6. It ends in Quicken Loans in our favor.

GO CAV!

it will end at quicken loans all right. in four with curry mvp.

Given what Curry was at the time, they certainly didn't lowball him. That contract was worth more than what any other team would've given him at the time (especially the # of years- was fairly close to Ty Lawson's contract at the time which set the market at the time in terms of years and $$). I hope that article on Lacob not valuing Curry isn't true. It would be a huge mistake to not pay Curry the max and set a bad precedent for the franchise.

he's getting maxed out for sure.

VeeP

"For the most part, you know what LeBron does, you know what Kyrie does," Curry said. "You know kind of their style and familiar with that. Other than that, I think when you look at the whole squad, they have a good kind of chemistry and vibe. It looks like they're having fun, and we want to do something about that."

Steph coming. Can we get some Super Saiyan Blue Gifs?

"For the most part, you know what LeBron does, you know what Kyrie does," Curry said. "You know kind of their style and familiar with that. Other than that, I think when you look at the whole squad, they have a good kind of chemistry and vibe. It looks like they're having fun, and we want to do something about that."

Steph coming. Can we get some Super Saiyan Blue Gifs?

You can get some Henny Bron and Uncle Drew
6b16802e72cfeeefa7b0f4e83b448186.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHrmsEJjbb4

So many classic moments from that series

Champagne

Banned

Na.

McGee is only good for like 15 mins a night max. Dude has terrible asthma and can't produce at a high enough level past that threshold. The Warriors are best at playing him in a few 3-5 minute spurts because anything beyond that you start to see him revert back to his shaqtin form.

Let's not pretend Kobe didn't check out of game 6 in the 08 Finals when his team was getting obliterated.

Let's not pretend Kobe didn't check out of game 6 in the 08 Finals when his team was getting obliterated.

You just stated what happened. The Lakers were getting obliterated.

1. It was not a winnable game with 6 minutes left.

2. Kobe didn't physically leave the game and go stand next to his head coach while time ran out.

Boogs31

Yes? The people that watched MJ his entire career instead of just six specific years. The man was great but he wasn't a god. 13 seasons we had him. Made 6 finals, those other years don't just magically 'not count' just because people no longer talk about them. We were getting bounced early in the playoffs with MJ on our team those years, and you dudes pretend like those seasons dont exist.

They missed the playoffs in his rookie year.

Year two they lost in the first round to the 86 Celtics (One of the greatest teams of all time).

Year three they lost in the first round to the 87 Celtics.

Year four they lost in the second round to the 88 "Bad Boy" Pistons (Also one of the greatest teams of all time).

Year five they lost in the Eastern Conference Finals in to the 89 "Bad Boy" Pistons.

Year six they lose in the Eastern Conference Finals to the 90 "Bad Boy" Pistons.

After missing the playoffs in his first year, they lost in the playoffs 5 consecutive years to either the eventual champion (3 times) or the runner up (twice).

It doesn't matter what round you lose in if you're losing to two of the greatest teams of all time.

Jordan's resume is impeccable. When his supporting cast was not very good in his early years, they still only lost to the best or 2nd best team in the league. When his supporting cast became decent, he won every year.

beat

One warning for the Warriors is that we really don't know how/if their offense will work if the game is really tight in the last few minutes. They just have almost no experience in playing close games. If they stop their movement offense and play hero ball (as they did at the end of game 7 last year) because they mentally freeze up...that definitely helps the Cavs. Of course, they now have Durant who helps make hero ball work so who knows.

I like their chances in close game situations with Curry or Durant hero ball, assuming Curry is healthy.

Love guarding Zaza.
Lebron guarding Green.
Thompson guarding Durant.
Irving guarding Klay.
Smith guarding Curry.

I would just have it like that. Klay doesn't do as much these days and Zaza is a non-factor where you can put a weaker defender like Love on him.

See how athletic Tristen really is. :p

One on one matchups won't be how the Warriors play. They move the ball a lot and switching is pretty much necessary.

Even if he breaks out of his slump his impact will be limited. He doesn't have the ball as much with KD on the team.

Klay literally didn't give up a shot (in terms of FGA per game) from last year to this year.

It's an old prediction. Let's wait for his final bet.
What has substantially changed in the last few months that could plausibly explain him flipping his prediction?

bionic77

Lebron deserves a little shit for checking out early in game 5 against the Spurs, but not much. Games 3 and 4 were absolute beat-downs. The Spurs may have set a field goal percentage record in the first halves of those games. When Lebron went to the bench Wade could do nothing. It was ugly. In game 5 he played 41:15. They were down 16 and he was cooked.
You can't have it both ways.

If you are the greatest of all time you should be able to at least keep things close with the cast he had. Instead people just tried to change the narrative that DWade, Chris Bosh, etc. were all bums.

For the record I do think LeBron is one of the best players of all time (fuck lists) but I get pissed when people blame his supporting cast. It's not like he has played with garbage in a long ass time.

bionic77

I'm 4-2 in that span

always got the team that ends with an S
It's pretty easy to pick the Finals. In the last 17 years I got it wrong 3 times. Probably got it all right every year going back to 1990 before that.

Pistons, Cavs, and the Heat (when they beat the Mavs) are the ones I missed on. The better team almost always wins in a 7 game series.

Nafai1123

Banned
Na.

McGee is only good for like 15 mins a night max. Dude has terrible asthma and can't produce at a high enough level past that threshold. The Warriors are best at playing him in a few 3-5 minute spurts because anything beyond that you start to see him revert back to his shaqtin form.

He's incredibly productive in those short bursts though. Even 15 minutes can be very important.

Kite

Olajuwon's Rockets were the only team to have a winning record against Jordan's Bulls so it's possible they could have beaten or given Jordan a run for their money in the Finals. We just had to get out of the West.

1984 Houston 2 - 0 Chicago
1985 Houston 2 - 0 Chicago
1986 Houston 1 - 1 Chicago
1987 Houston 2 - 0 Chicago
1988 Houston 0 - 2 Chicago
1989 Houston 1 - 1 Chicago
1990 Houston 1 - 1 Chicago
1991 Houston 2 - 0 Chicago
1992 Houston 1 - 1 Chicago
1993 Houston 2 - 0 Chicago
1994 Houston 1 - 1 Chicago
1995 Houston 1 - 1 Chicago
1996 Houston 0 - 2 Chicago
1997 Houston 1 - 1 Chicago
1998 Houston 0 - 2 Chicago

http://clutchfans.net/opponent_history.cfm?TeamID=24

SYNTAX182

As much as I hate Lebron for being whiny and a diva, I am cheering for the Cavs. I was not a fan of Durants decision and how fake he seems to act now. He just has that air about him like now he is on a winning stacked team he thinks he's the shit. Yes, I am taking this personal after he didn't want to meet with his hometown team and my favorite team, the Bullets. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom