New Berserk anime (Update: Second movie in Japan - Jun 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
tokkun said:
You can draw superficial comparisons, sure, but can you really say that the new characters are contributing as much to the story and Guts' character development as the Band of the Hawks?
They haven't all died yet, so we can't say definitively. It really is hard (and unfair) to compare characters who have played their part in their entirety to characters that the story isn't done with yet. They HAVE contributed to Gut's character development in the very least. He's gone from being insanely anti-social to being a Griffith type leader. Not to mention he clearly couldn't take care of Caska by himself.
 
So we have excerpts from completely different time periods of the story, and with just two seconds-long CMs, we've already seen some of the stuff that was leaked one year ago...
Watch as this stuff is confirmed to be a direct to video 30 minute long collection of video clips (songs by Gackt!). Meltdown am total! :lol


FreedomFrisbee said:
He probably does it volume by volume. Which tends to ignore chapter by chapter plot progression.
Huh? ^^;
No, he doesn't: the series is serialized in Young Animal, each episode is 20 pages long and has the usual structure, complete with a cliffhanger at the end...
 
Erigu said:
Huh? ^^;
No, he doesn't: the series is serialized in Young Animal, each episode is 20 pages long and has the usual structure, complete with a cliffhanger at the end...
He doesn't always have the cliffhanger at the end, and those that do could easily be because they're getting cut off mid story. There's a storyline and he splits it into volumes, which get split into chapters. They're published separately initially because that's just how companies make money.

As an example, the first Dark Tower book was originally written completely, then published chapter by chapter in some sci-fi monthly. Later released as a whole book.
 
FreedomFrisbee said:
He doesn't always have the cliffhanger at the end
???
What episodes are you thinking of? Because they sure don't look like longer episodes cut short to me...

There's a storyline and he splits it into volumes, which get split into chapters.
Sure, it's the same story, I'm not arguing otherwise. But you can really tell each 20 page episode is indeed structured as a 20 page episode.
In fact, there are some cases where Miura went back and changed things around (even removed some pages) because the transition between two episodes didn't work all that well once compiled in a single volume.

As an example, the first Dark Tower book was originally written completely, then published chapter by chapter in some sci-fi monthly. Later released as a whole book.
And I believe the Lord of the Rings was initially one book, and the division into three volumes was an afterthought, because the publisher went "naw, man, that's waaaaay too long".
But I'm pretty certain that's not what we're dealing with, here.


Branduil said:
This one looks almost all CGI.
Yeah, I think that's a cell-shaded CG model. And it looks fine to me.
 
ZoddGutts said:
Eh, CG Zodd doesn't look as good from the TV series, the CG stands out too much very out of place.
It's certainly a bit jarring to see only odd extracts here and there. I'll have to wait to see a longer clip to make any judgement about how cohesive the art style/animation is.

Although the original did look better, that might just be my bias.
 
Prime crotch said:
What are the chances of this being just some promo for volume 35?
That would be a dick move
Advertising on volume 35 the advertisement for volume 35? Plus, none of the scenes we've seen so far has anything to do with volume 35 specifically, so that would be quite arbitrary...
Still, like I said above, I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out not to be a new series. It might be a good idea to keep our expectations low for now, just in case.
 
Holtz said:
So, based on the leak, tomorrow we will see either Puck or Caska.
As I said there's some material with younger Guts and the midland army and the scene with Guts and Griffith wasn't in the trailer I have so there could be something brand new.
 
@Erigu

The whole going back and revising things between chapters and volumes does kinda throw a wrench in my thinking. That doesn't really occur a whole lot elsewhere.

I'll still stick by plot progression being more volume oriented though. He definitely isn't making any concessions to make all the chapters progress the plot equally or anything. (This kinda turns into 'a volume is better than a chapter' which is fairly obvious)
 
J2d said:
As I said there's some material with younger Guts and the midland army and the scene with Guts and Griffith wasn't in the trailer I have so there could be something brand new.
Serious question: Do you want a tag, and how badass do you want the tag to be?
 
Prime crotch said:
What are the chances of this being just some promo for volume 35?
That would be a dick move
Seems like kind of a waste to build a 3D version of the characters only to use them for 5 seconds of animation. Might as well have done it in 2D if that was the plan.
 

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I wonder what all the animators that worked kick ass shit during 80's and 90's doing these days? They can't all be working on school girl shit can they?
 

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
that zodd gif includes a scene pictured from way back when rumblings of a berserk anime first showed up.

they wouldnt possibly storyboard a commercial so far in advance, would they? :\
 
Doc Holliday said:
I wonder what all the animators that worked kick ass shit during 80's and 90's doing these days? They can't all be working on school girl shit can they?
Very few people are career animators in Japan anymore due to the extraordinarily low pay and long hours. Animation has been in a real race to the bottom.
 
At this point, going off what they've shown, I'm going to guess that this will be a reboot and the entire series will be animated from the beginning.
 
If the music in the teasers is anything to go by, it sounds like it won't be Hirasawa, which would be really disappointing.

We need more details /sadface
 
Griffith said:
At this point, going off what they've shown, I'm going to guess that this will be a reboot and the entire series will be animated from the beginning.
That'd be cool, but I doubt it. I think it'll be a bunch of OADs covering a brief portion of the manga, only to skip ahead to another point, etc.

Although a full season or two would be great.
 
tokkun said:
You can draw superficial comparisons, sure, but can you really say that the new characters are contributing as much to the story and Guts' character development as the Band of the Hawks?
They aren't really superficial comparisons. Most of the band wasn't especially important except that Guts viewed them as his family. The Band mainly served to show Guts that he could form attachments to other people.

The new group is largely about reminding him of the value of his attachments. Silkie performs a lot of invaluable services. She keeps Guts' brand under control, she keeps him from killing himself when he uses the berserker armor...

Serpico is scary smart and equally good with a blade. He's largely the worthy rival of the group.

Farnese is largely useless, but at least she keeps Caska from wandering off. Guts kinda sucked at keeping her in check on his own.

nelsonroyale said:
Bizarre inference considering he was already defeated quite handily by gutz, and he clearly admitted he was not able to stand up to him even without his armour...Guts beat a human griffith, and he is far, far stronger than he was....no human is close to Guts in strength
Two things:

1) He was fighting Guts more as a means of testing Guts' intentions rather than trying to kill him. If Farnese was truly in danger because of Guts, you'd see a much more dangerous fight. Serpico's great with a sword, and he's a canny tactician. Guts has said that much himself on more than one occasion.

2) Guts isn't the only one with magical enhancements.

Also if you recall, the first time the crossed swords, it was a stalemate. Both took a hit. How many other people are actually capable of doing that one on one against Guts?
 
Freshmaker said:
It's Schierke.

Freshmaker said:
Two things:

1) He was fighting Guts more as a means of testing Guts' intentions rather than trying to kill him. If Farnese was truly in danger because of Guts, you'd see a much more dangerous fight. Serpico's great with a sword, and he's a canny tactician. Guts has said that much himself on more than one occasion.

2) Guts isn't the only one with magical enhancements.

Also if you recall, the first time the crossed swords, it was a stalemate. Both took a hit. How many other people are actually capable of doing that one on one against Guts?
Both times they've fought Guts has been at a disadvantage. First with the narrow cliff, and then with the stone pillars. Both of these (the cliff more so) severely inhibited his ability to use his sword and fight as he normally would.

Serpico is definitely very strong, but he's no match for Guts.
 
Griffith said:
It's Schierke.
Your point?
Both times they've fought Guts has been at a disadvantage. First with the narrow cliff, and then with the stone pillars. Both of these (the cliff more so) severely inhibited his ability to use his sword and fight as he normally would.
There's a reason for this. Serpico is Batman.
 
There's no way this is a TV anime. The visuals are much too polished for that, regardless of what you think of the style.

Furthermore, why would you want that, since it would ensure a great deal of censoring?
 

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Freshmaker said:

You two going to whip out the fisticuffs or what?


And this whatever-the-fuck-it-is is awesome. If it's as amazing as the manga, or hell, even the anime standards, then it'll be some great stuff.
 
Branduil said:
There's no way this is a TV anime. The visuals are much too polished for that, regardless of what you think of the style.

Furthermore, why would you want that, since it would ensure a great deal of censoring?
Part of me wants a TV series because of the volume you get with that. And frankly, even with all the censorship I still adore the first TV series. It's not quite true to Berserk in all ways but it's still one of my favorite series ever. Granted, doing post-eclipse stuff justice is a lot harder than the Golden Age as far as censorship is concerned.
 
Freshmaker said:
They aren't really superficial comparisons. Most of the band wasn't especially important except that Guts viewed them as his family. The Band mainly served to show Guts that he could form attachments to other people.

The new group is largely about reminding him of the value of his attachments. Silkie performs a lot of invaluable services. She keeps Guts' brand under control, she keeps him from killing himself when he uses the berserker armor...

Serpico is scary smart and equally good with a blade. He's largely the worthy rival of the group.

Farnese is largely useless, but at least she keeps Caska from wandering off. Guts kinda sucked at keeping her in check on his own.
The original Band of the Hawk contained the pre-eclipse Griffith and Casca, both of whom were far more significant to Guts' character development than the entire current party combined.

The reason I say the new characters only fulfill a superficial role is because Guts does not seem to have any sort of meaningful relationship with any of them. The only one he has any interesting interactions with is post-eclipse Casca, and those are pretty basic for obvious reasons.The stuff you are describing are simple plot roles that just makes them sound like generic tools.
 
Fallout-NL said:
Will this be connected to the previous anime... i.e. will it pick up where that left off?
We still don't know what it'll be. They're (not) releasing information as (not) quickly as chapters of the manga come out.
 
tokkun said:
The original Band of the Hawk contained the pre-eclipse Griffith and Casca, both of whom were far more significant to Guts' character development than the entire current party combined.
Largely why idiot Casca's so disappointing.

The reason I say the new characters only fulfill a superficial role is because Guts does not seem to have any sort of meaningful relationship with any of them. The only one he has any interesting interactions with is post-eclipse Casca, and those are pretty basic for obvious reasons.The stuff you are describing are simple plot roles that just makes them sound like generic tools.
I think you dislike them so you are ignoring their contributions.
 
Jexhius said:
It's certainly a bit jarring to see only odd extracts here and there. I'll have to wait to see a longer clip to make any judgement about how cohesive the art style/animation is.

Although the original did look better, that might just be my bias.
I thought that too at first, but then checked some of the youtube links to the original zodd and it looked pretty atrocious by today's standards. This is miles better IMO.
 
Freshmaker said:
Largely why idiot Casca's so disappointing.
Hopefully that's only temporary (in the manga, in RL we'll probabaly have to wait another 10 years) since apparently she could be cured at Elfheim. Even if it's something she may not really want, so I'll fall to Guts to make that difficult decision.

Oh crap, sorry for the DP, I thought this was moving faster.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.