• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Berserk anime (Update: Second movie in Japan - Jun 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokkun

nelsonroyale said:
The manga is far, far better than the anime...Most important aspect: crap art replaced by incredible art...oh, and puck hehe

The anime has its merits, and there are a few things I think it does better than the manga.

The anime, for example, maintains a more consistent tone due to the removal of most of the comic relief elements (other than that one opposing general). I liked the more masculine Griffith design, and I though that the tension in his relationship with Guts came out better. Lastly, I felt like the music was used to great effect.

Hellion

tokkun said:
The anime has its merits, and there are a few things I think it does better than the manga.

The anime, for example, maintains a more consistent tone due to the removal of most of the comic relief elements (other than that one opposing general). I liked the more masculine Griffith design, and I though that the tension in his relationship with Guts came out better. Lastly, I felt like the music was used to great effect.
This. and wasn't puck teased in the anime?

7Th

The actual animation in the Berserk anime isn't very good, but I like Umakoshi's character designs better than Miura's stuff.

7Th said:
The actual animation in the Berserk anime isn't very good, but I like Umakoshi's character designs better than Miura's stuff.

I like that there is sound. And by that I mean music. Can really play up the drama of the moment, much more than a still picture can. Forces completely caught me off guard when it showed up in the anime.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
7Th said:
It was clear that it had shit for a budget. To be honest, I think I prefer the anime to the manga. It cuts out some of the comic relief and bit of the supernatural stuff. So the ending came at with a greater surprise. Not to mention, the soundtrack was fantastic.

Did I mention how I will fully endorse this if we get another Hirasawa soundtrack? :lol

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
So GAF what is the latest on this new Berserk anime? Have the studio announced what this project is going to be exactly? Will it be an OVA? A TV series? If TV series, will it be a remake of the original? If not, will it continue where the original left off?

ArjanN

isamu said:
That is exactly what I am thinking. I'll be a bit disappointed if that's the case, as I'm DYING to see the story continued from the eclipse in anime form! I just GOTTA see what happens right after that and what became of Griffith.....IN ANIME FORM ONLY....not Manga so don't bother trying to seduce me into reading it. I just don't do Manga. Period. Sorry.

alborghetti21zj.gif

Then you're really doing yourself a disservice.

In general: manga > anime. Applies 99% of the time.

Most people start out liking anime better because it's easier to get in to, but eventually most realize manga is better for a variety of reasons. (better art, pacing, actual endings, less censorship etc.)

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
ArjanN said:
alborghetti21zj.gif

Then you're really doing yourself a disservice.

In general: manga > anime. Applies 99% of the time.

Most people start out liking anime better because it's easier to get in to, but eventually most realize manga is better for a variety of reasons. (better art, pacing, actual endings, less censorship etc.)

I see what you're saying, but no matter how good you make the content in manga, the medium will always be the same....pictures and text printed on paper. That my friend, is worlds apart from the enjoyment I get from watching anime on a 110" projection screen equipped with 7.1 surround and thumping bass.

It's not the content I take issue with ArjanN, it's the medium. I need to be stimulated with moving pictures on a screen, not static images in a booklet.

vocab

isamu said:
I see what you're saying, but no matter how good you make the content in manga, the medium will always be the same....pictures and text printed on paper. That my friend, is worlds apart from the enjoyment I get from watching anime on a 110" projection screen equipped with 7.1 surround and thumping bass.

It's not the content I take issue with ArjanN, it's the medium. I need to be stimulated with moving pictures on a screen, not static images in a booklet.

no seriously, you a doing a huge disservice. Miura puts in countless hours into his work. The amount of detail he puts into some of the chapters is insane. All the manga needs is a button that you push to play the OST from Susumu Hirasawa, and you got the best manga ever created

isamu said:
So GAF what is the latest on this new Berserk anime? Have the studio announced what this project is going to be exactly? Will it be an OVA? A TV series? If TV series, will it be a remake of the original? If not, will it continue where the original left off?

That shit was a rumor mill created by a fake preview list if I'm not mistaken. If it happens they would have to start from the beginning, but I just don't ever see it happening for a long time.

isamu said:

Although I can sort of agree, I will always love reading. Books/manga/comics anything.

The art in Berserk is some of the craziest shit I have ever seen in my life. In ANY medium. God it glows me away.

You can also do what I do and pump badass music through your surround sound while reading. :p I actually have a problem reading in complete silence nowadays.

So I can kinda see what you mean from the sensory overload point of view.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Jexhius said:
I love that everyone is all about announcing announcements these days.

It's a great trend and I hope it will never end.
May your dreams come true and be everlasting!

Anyways I hope it's some kind of toaster pastry.

duckroll

The rumors from Japan about the announcement are lining up with what our fellow gaffer leaked years ago. Berserk anime movie by Studio 4C in 2011, will be announced on the 8th next week.

Surprised to see them tweeting in French today:
Bonne année! Les fans de Berserk project auront bientôt l'occasion de se réjouir d'une très bonne nouvelle! RdV le 8 janvier 2011!!
And good french, not some google translation.

Pein

Banned
duckroll said:
The rumors from Japan about the announcement are lining up with what our fellow gaffer leaked years ago. Berserk anime movie by Studio 4C in 2011, will be announced on the 8th next week.
kickass

Munin

duckroll said:

Studio 4C OH GOD please

DieH@rd

Banned
duckroll said:

Cant wait.

Jex

7Th said:
Truer words have never been said.

LaneDS

Movie seems smart to me. Or a few OVAs. Trying to do another series when the manga is nowhere near finished seems like a poor choice (for a lot of reasons) so a movie would be grand.

tokkun

LaneDS said:
Movie seems smart to me. Or a few OVAs. Trying to do another series when the manga is nowhere near finished seems like a poor choice (for a lot of reasons) so a movie would be grand.

I don't really understand this argument. The original Berserk TV series came out when the manga was even further from being finished, and it was great. No way would I have wanted a movie instead.

Dahbomb

I wonder where the movie will actually "end". If it is actually a movie/ova which would sort of make sense judging from the animation.

I can only expect another salty cliffhanger. Another thing about movies adapted from a larger series of work as that the character development is always shafted. Not enough proper spacing. Character development was integral to the enjoyment of Berserk.

rvy

Banned
tokkun said:
I don't really understand this argument. The original Berserk TV series came out when the manga was even further from being finished, and it was great. No way would I have wanted a movie instead.
OK, how about... movies and OVAs have higher budgets than anime shows, ergo, quality will be much better?

LaneDS

tokkun said:

I love the original anime (and the manga, for different reasons) but I'd rather them wait to do another television series until it can tell the entire tale cohesively, even if it's years from now (which it would have to be, I imagine). The anime is great but it holds back a lot and left a lot of viewers confused.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love more animated Berserk in any form, so if they said it was an another television series I'd still be excited (even though it'd have to be heavily neutered from the manga for broadcast).

Chemo

rvy said:
OK, how about... movies and OVAs have higher budgets than anime shows, ergo, quality will be much better?
Yeah, but if it's just a film, what's the point? The story is huge, one Berserk film that's awesome may be temporarily great but ultimately completely unsatisfying.

MercuryLS

Banned
How long before this is available on DVD/Blu-Ray?

Since it's an OVA, will there still be a lot of eps like the TV show was?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
LaneDS said:
I love the original anime (and the manga, for different reasons) but I'd rather them wait to do another television series until it can tell the entire tale cohesively, even if it's years from now (which it would have to be, I imagine). The anime is great but it holds back a lot and left a lot of viewers confused.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love more animated Berserk in any form, so if they said it was an another television series I'd still be excited (even though it'd have to be heavily neutered from the manga for broadcast).

Yeah, we can wait for the artist to kick the bucket since he intends to continue Berzerk indefinitely.

Gotta admire the guy's guts :D

tokkun

rvy said:

The quality of the animation will be better. The quality of the story will be worse. How much can you really cover well in 90 minutes?

Shito

Big One said:
Well with the variety of scenes we've been shown, I have a feeling it's going to be more along the line of movie(s).
I'd rather say we'll have to endure a lot of flashbacks. :(

Big One

Banned
Jexhius said:
The picture floating around suggests Golden Age arc.
But the teasers have shit from all three of the major arcs.

I mean I guess they could get away with it, but unless it's multiple movies it probably won't work as well inserting characters like Puck and Skullknight into the story...if it's just going to focus on the Golden Age arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom