• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Berserk anime (Update: Second movie in Japan - Jun 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ending of the first one is one of the great Wat. Teh. FACK. Moments in anime history. I don't remember exactly who lives at the end but I wonder if they will attempt to resolve that in some way if it needs to be

Jex

Big One said:
But the teasers have shit from all three of the major arcs.
True, they'll probably focus on one. But here's the image that's around at the moment:

news-berserk.jpg

I can't imagine them doing more then Golden Arc in one movie. Unless they focus on it only briefly.

I suppose they could make more movies dealing with more arcs if they first one is a success.

It's still crazy to me that this really came out of GAF first. The home of broken embargoes. Maybe.

duckroll

This project is not one which is targeted at Japan alone. The biggest reason why they are doing it now, and in movie form, is because Berserk has a huge fanbase worldwide, and the source material demands the highest quality in terms of depiction of reality and scale. This project is targeted as a worldwide push to release Berserk in a faithful animated form without compromises. And no, I do not believe it is just a single movie, but it is most certainly a "reboot" in the sense that it will not continue after the TV series, nor does it have any relation to the TV series in terms of continuity or designs. This is adapted straight from the manga, like Hellsing Ultimate.

Rektash

Watched the first "season" over the last few days and really enjoyed it. Psyched for this.

Now go get the manga. It is like hundred times better then the anime. :D

Dascu

duckroll said:
This project is not one which is targeted at Japan alone. The biggest reason why they are doing it now, and in movie form, is because Berserk has a huge fanbase worldwide, and the source material demands the highest quality in terms of depiction of reality and scale. This project is targeted as a worldwide push to release Berserk in a faithful animated form without compromises. And no, I do not believe it is just a single movie, but it is most certainly a "reboot" in the sense that it will not continue after the TV series, nor does it have any relation to the TV series in terms of continuity or designs. This is adapted straight from the manga, like Hellsing Ultimate.
Speaking of that, any word on the next release?

Jex

Big One said:
It probably won't work as well inserting characters like Puck and Skullknight into the story.
The original shots posted on GAF already had Puck in them. This makes sense if you follow duckroll's reasoning that it's a complete, high quality reboot from the beginning. Which certainly makes the most sense.

Studio 4.C is confirmed.

Big One

Banned
Jexhius said:
The original shots posted on GAF already had Puck in them. This makes sense if you follow duckroll's reasoning that it's a complete, high quality reboot from the beginning. Which certainly makes the most sense.

Studio 4.C is confirmed.
Nice. I wonder if they're going to actually adapt the Black Swordsman arc, however, it seems to be sorely missing from all the material we have.

duckroll

There is no reason to believe any aspect of the rumors or leaks are inaccurate at this point, but they have not actually announced the staff working on it, nor the studio. It's almost certainly Studio 4C, but until we get the official press release on Saturday, I would say it's not "confirmed" yet.

Griffith

Banned
Wow, I'm surprised that they're going to adapt the entire manga. I had hoped they would, but I didn't think that would actually happen.

Jex

duckroll said:
There is no reason to believe any aspect of the rumors or leaks are inaccurate at this point, but they have not actually announced the staff working on it, nor the studio. It's almost certainly Studio 4C, but until we get the official press release on Saturday, I would say it's not "confirmed" yet.
You're right, of course. When it comes out to be a studio DEEN production I won't know where to hide my face!

duckroll

Jexhius said:
You're right, of course. When it comes out to be a studio DEEN production I won't know where to hide my face!

Don't worry, if that happens, we'll sacrifice you to the old gods, and everything will be okay again. :)

Blader

Big One said:
Well with the variety of scenes we've been shown, I have a feeling it's going to be more along the line of movie(s).

It says right in the link that this movie is the first of many.

Bebpo

Banned
How do they plan to adopt the entire manga when the manga won't end for another 20 years?

Is this is a 30 year movie project?

Jex

Bebpo said:
How do they plan to adopt the entire manga when the manga won't end for another 20 years?

Is this is a 30 year movie project?
Well, it's taken ages to get this one off the ground. There's no indication of how fast the turnover will be, how many movies are planned, what will be the ratio of volumes per movie etc.

Even if they had a movie every, say, three years, it would still take ages to get through all the manga. Unless they trim it down (which hopefully they will).

Or, you know, maybe the manga will end in five years or something.

Okay, I can't write that last bit with a straight face, but you never know!
Blader5489 said:
It says right in the link that this movie is the first of many.
Technically it says it's the first part of a Berserk project, not necessarily a project of movies. It could start with a movie, and then become a series.

But I'm guessing that movies would make more money then another TV series.

Man I loved the first episode of the originals. When he drops down the sword to the smith and sneers "forge it" and the first main battle that shows even though he's bad ass, he is not untouchable. From there on, it kind of never kept that same dark gritty feel for me, but the ending sure did, then they went and tickled your ass with a feather and that was it.

Shirokun

Nostalgic Nightmare said:
Man I loved the first episode of the originals. When he drops down the sword to the smith and sneers "forge it" and the first main battle that shows even though he's bad ass, he is not untouchable. From there on, it kind of never kept that same dark gritty feel for me, but the ending sure did, then they went and tickled your ass with a feather and that was it.

If this is a faithful adaptation of the source material, you will not be disappointed. :D

Blader

Jexhius said:
Technically it says it's the first part of a Berserk project, not necessarily a project of movies. It could start with a movie, and then become a series.

But I'm guessing that movies would make more money then another TV series.

The Twitter updates seem to imply that this will be a series of movies.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
So, any news guys? Berserk is one of my favorite anime so if this turns out to be a TV series I'm gonna be quite happy! Where is the project now in terms of progress?

Big One

Banned
Blader5489 said:
I thought this was going to be released in the summer?
Possibly delayed due to the Earthquakes, but nothing is confirmed. In the very least we should be getting word about it next month.

Erigu

Blader5489 said:
I thought this was going to be released in the summer?
Maybe I missed a source for that one, but I think people simply mistranslated "during 2011" ("2011年中") into "mid-2011".
That being said, I don't know if we should really expect a 2011 opening, now... June already.

duckroll

Erigu said:
That being said, I don't know if we should really expect a 2011 opening, now... June already.

If they announce details next month, it could still very easily open in late Fall or Winter this year.

Erigu

duckroll said:
If they announce details next month, it could still very easily open in late Fall or Winter this year.
It's possible, yeah, it's just that I'm a bit puzzled by their schedule... We're now supposed to get some details in July, but it's been a while since they first went official with this project, and I don't know if that was the plan. Odd plan if so.

duckroll

PKMX0.jpg

Director is Toshiyuki Kubooka, Studio 4C is confirmed as the studio. The movie will be coming out in Japan in Jan 2012, distributed by Warner Brothers Japan.

Jex

duckroll said:
Director is Toshiyuki Kubooka, Studio 4C is confirmed as the studio. The movie will be coming out in Japan in Jan 2012, distributed by Warner Brothers Japan.
Oh, really? Huh.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Speaking of 4C, did that movie they did a while ago (First Squad) amount to anything? It should at least be gorgeous to watch but kind fell of the grid. Totally forgot about it untill checking out 4C's website.

LaneDS

Looked him up on wikipedia... interesting choice. Not positive or negative on the idea based on what was listed there, but definitely curious to hear (and see) more.

Ifrit

Finally

I just watched the tv series for the first time and a huge WTF at that ending, I actually had to read the manga at that spot in order to get some closure

Kenka

A series of movies ? I am all for it. And Miura better hurry with the story, I still don't understand why we spend so much time on this goddamn cruise to join the elfic island.

Kenka said:
A series of movies ? I am all for it. And Miura better hurry with the story, I still don't understand why we spend so much time on this goddamn cruise to join the elfic island.
So Miura can draw more cute girls looking cute.

Jexhius said:
Truer words have never been said.

I like Miura's recent character style a lot. Guts is a rather handsome dude, at least by manga standards imo.

1070615.jpg

So I would say that there are truer statements than that, after all I would assert the complete opposite. Miura's style has grown a lot while staying pretty consistent, especially over the course of reading through it. I think his work now is much better than the anime. Though earlier volumes perhaps not as much.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
tokkun said:
Well, you only need to read 24 chapters to catch up....

It's sad because it's true. I'm on a self-imposed leave of absence until there's a shitload more for me. The wait is BRUTAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom