• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 2 "stands up to the best in the genre"

Status
Not open for further replies.

boco77

Banned
Apparently this game will get a 6/10 or a 7/10 in Edge magazine, according to the preview they have on their website. Thye gave the first a 9. Its a shame as NG1 is my favourite action game of all time :(

"the camera is such a surprisingly big issue. It is a constant problem: obscuring foes, breaking up combos, losing track of Ryu, and flicking back and forth between positions.

"Other irritants largely come down to personal preference: the increasing dependence on demons and other magical foes (in short, distance attacks) as the stages wear on, the rather anodyne puzzles, the usual ineffectiveness of your shuriken. The bosses for the first three stages present no challenge on the highest difficulty setting available

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10470&Itemid=2

Gantz

Banned
boco77 said:
Apparently this game will get a 6/10 or a 7/10 in Edge magazine, according to the preview they have on their website. Thye gave the first a 9. Its a shame as NG1 is my favourite action game of all time :(

"the camera is such a surprisingly big issue. It is a constant problem: obscuring foes, breaking up combos, losing track of Ryu, and flicking back and forth between positions.

"Other irritants largely come down to personal preference: the increasing dependence on demons and other magical foes (in short, distance attacks) as the stages wear on, the rather anodyne puzzles, the usual ineffectiveness of your shuriken. The bosses for the first three stages present no challenge on the highest difficulty setting available

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10470&Itemid=2

final build of the game?

Gantz said:
final build of the game?

itakagi.jpg

Xater

So it has the same problem the first game had. It will probably still be pretty awesome.

But you would have thought that by now they were able to figure out how to do a camera...

Darklord

Banned
boco77 said:
The bosses for the first three stages present no challenge on the highest difficulty setting available

Err? NGB was extremely hard. How could they make it no challenge this time?

Talk about selective quoting. This is just the preview from Edge that was already known about.

It’s worth reiterating that, even at preview stage, the action at the core of NGII stands up to the best in the genre. So if there’s any serious development left to go on the project, we have to pray that it’s directed towards the camera, because it’s currently holding back such immense potential. If not, then Ninja Gaiden II will remain a trial for the dedicated player – and not in the way that Team Ninja wants it to be.

Posted this in the last Ninja Gaiden thread.
Vaxadrin said:
EDGE Magazine might give it a 7???
I don't think Edge themselves made any reference to the scores. So that "6 or 7" is pure speculation.

It's the most recent build at the time of writing. Also Edge noted "The official screenshots here aren't very representative of what you see playing the game - you're usually either seeing Ryu's back or you're cursing the camera. Unfortunately we're not allowed to take our own screenshots of the game"
Pureauthor said:
Camera issues... three generations of 3D and we still get camera issues.
It's not easy.. hell I didn't like the underwater camera in Galaxy of all games. I think the problem is that the people who do it right are not teaching those who are getting it wrong.

If I was running GDC I would devote an entire day of seminars to camera issues.

pswii60

Edge said:
It’s worth reiterating that, even at preview stage, the action at the core of NGII stands up to the best in the genre. So if there’s any serious development left to go on the project, we have to pray that it’s directed towards the camera, because it’s currently holding back such immense potential. If not, then Ninja Gaiden II will remain a trial for the dedicated player – and not in the way that Team Ninja wants it to be.
Let's hope the camera is fixed. I'm currently running through Ninja Gaiden Black on Ninja Dog Mode, and the camera can be frustrating at times, it becomes a RT fest to adjust the camera. I just wish they'd let you use the right stick.

Draft

godhandiscen said:
Itgaki doesnt deliver? WUT?
These are all worth mentioning, but they don’t significantly affect the joy of the combat. Its depth is increased by the much-talked-about gore: lopping off a limb opens up an instant kill, usually a decapitation. Easy to achieve one-on-one, of course, but much more difficult in a crowded area: you’ll frequently end up with injured enemies in among a group – a dangerous situation, because certain disabilities provoke a very damaging suicide attack. Button-mashing never got you anywhere in Ninja Gaiden anyway, but the necessity for a moment of calm timing in the midst of battles completely rules it out, since the instant kills can’t be triggered by hammering.

It’s worth reiterating that, even at preview stage, the action at the core of NGII stands up to the best in the genre.
So if there’s any serious development left to go on the project, we have to pray that it’s directed towards the camera, because it’s currently holding back such immense potential. If not, then Ninja Gaiden II will remain a trial for the dedicated player – and not in the way that Team Ninja wants it to be.
The camera has always been an issue for some people. It's a shame that it wasn't fixed for the second game. No sweat for me personally as I'm quite used to the NG camera's eccentricities, but I understand why it vexes people.

I like how you ignored all the positives from the Edge article.

They say the camera issue is the only important issue with the game, didn't the first one have camera issues too?

A few more positive snippets from the preview:
In their own ways, both of those aspects are incredible.

There has never been anything quite like it in the genre.

In fact, in the hands of a skilled player NGII looks nothing less than exhilarating, and occasionally surpasses any martial arts movie you might care to name.

These are all worth mentioning, but they don’t significantly affect the joy of the combat.

It’s worth reiterating that, even at preview stage, the action at the core of NGII stands up to the best in the genre.

McDragon said:
camera is the same as NGB so no problem here.
I never understood the complains about the camera....

Most of the bosses in Ninja Gaiden (Black) were easy as well, so nothing changed here. And for the lame puzzles and underpowered shurikens, those were present in the first game as well.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Well, it's a japanese developed game - Poor camera and balancing issues are almost to be expected by now. It's just something you have to deal with when playing eastern developed games.

It does sound like the OP is picking and choosing his quotes to make a point, though, as the actual edge article doesn't have a consistently negative tone, and makes no allusions to a score.

Doesn't hurt his point though since it's a non-us magazine that 95% of NeoGAF probably doesn't read. (At $9 an issue on the newsstand, I understand why, as well) So people won't actually take the time to get what Edge actually said, and his word gets taken as gospel. :lol Typical NeoGAF logic at work..

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Draft said:
The camera has always been an issue for some people. It's a shame that it wasn't fixed for the second game. No sweat for me personally as I'm quite used to the NG camera's eccentricities, but I understand why it vexes people.
Dont worry Draft, if I trust Dyack, I obviously would kill for Itagaki.

Also the OP is a FUD spreading weasel.

Remember when they added a working free camera with the Hurricane Packs in the original NG and nobody used it because it was incapable of keeping up with the game, and everyone realized that the default camera system, awkward as it sometimes could be, was the only viable system for coping with the action?

Edge doesn't.

Mr. Durden said:
I never understood the complains about the camera....

Most of the bosses in Ninja Gaiden (Black) were easy as well, so nothing changed here. And for the lame puzzles and underpowered shurikens, those were present in the first game as well.

Nothing to see here, move along folks.

I'm thinking the general idea would be that they were hoping such niggling issues would be fixed for the sequel. Isn't that one of basic ideas of a sequel? To fix and improve what wasn't so good in the original?

Brashnir

pswii60 said:
Let's hope the camera is fixed. I'm currently running through Ninja Gaiden Black on Ninja Dog Mode, and the camera can be frustrating at times, it becomes a RT fest to adjust the camera. I just wish they'd let you use the right stick.

nothing annoys me more than a game that has camera problems, and nothing mapped to the right stick, or worse, really bad (backwards, unchangable) camera adjustment controls on the right stick.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Visualante said:
Posted this in the last Ninja Gaiden thread.

I don't think Edge themselves made any reference to the scores. So that "6 or 7" is pure speculation.

It's the most recent build at the time of writing. Also Edge noted "The official screenshots here aren't very representative of what you see playing the game - you're usually either seeing Ryu's back or you're cursing the camera. Unfortunately we're not allowed to take our own screenshots of the game"

It's not easy.. hell I didn't like the underwater camera in Galaxy of all games. I think the problem is that the people who do it right are not teaching those who are getting it wrong.

If I was running GDC I would devote an entire day of seminars to camera issues.

Since when has anyone done a good underwater camera in 3D?

FinFan

Shake Appeal said:
Remember when they added a working free camera with the Hurricane Packs in the original NG and nobody used it because it was incapable of keeping up with the game, and everyone realized that the default camera system, awkward as it sometimes could be, was the only viable system for coping with the action?

Edge doesn't.

+1

Meh, I've played through NGB/NG about 4 times now and pulling the right trigger in the middle of battle is almost a reflex. Refocusing the camera when you move to either side of the battle isn't that big of a deal - I'd rather it let me do that than the game decide when to swing the camera around.

Hey the camera system is still better than God Hand, bless that game.

(I love God Hand though)

Iksenpets

Banned
Sounds like the camera just hasn't changed, and they're not going to be as lenient on it a second time.

As for the other things mention, I know IGN's preview complained about boss difficulty being too low, as well, but then said on their boards that it had all been fixed.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Shake Appeal said:

Edge doesn't.
Bingo.

pswii60 said:
But you can use the right stick.... So just use it?
By the way, Ninja Dog Mode? REALLY? Why? I just went through normal again and it was so stupidly easy. I had to leave almost every elixer and talisman in the boxes because I was full already. Maybe you're not using the right weapons against the right enemies? (well you clearly don't, otherwise you wouldn't even have unlocked Ninja Dog Mode)
Pureauthor said:
I'm thinking the general idea would be that they were hoping such niggling issues would be fixed for the sequel. Isn't that one of basic ideas of a sequel? To fix and improve what wasn't so good in the original?
I agree it's just a logic assumption, but to me it doesn't matter. I only had camera issues while fighting Alma. And if the sequel just gets more bad ass action while leaving the camera the way it was, I'm not complaining. However, if it has gotten really worse (which we need to find out with the demo), than there's reason to complain.

boco77

Banned
Yes but whats worrying is that Edge gave NG1 on Xbox a 9, even with the camera issues. This will definately not be a 9 or even a 8 as they have turned really lame. (FFX a 6/10 wtf). Still a day one purchase for me and I would be surprised if its not as least as good as NG1 was. Also the soundtrack in the trailers I've seen so far rocks :p

boco77 said:
Yes but whats worrying is that Edge gave NG1 on Xbox a 9, even with the camera issues. This will definately not be a 9 or even a 8 as they have turned really lame. (FFX a 6/10 wtf).

I still don't get how you're arriving at that conclusion.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
boco77 said:
Yes but whats worrying is that Edge gave NG1 on Xbox a 9, even with the camera issues. This will definately not be a 9 or even a 8 as they have turned really lame. (FFX a 6/10 wtf). Still a day one purchase for me and I would be surprised if its not as least as good as NG1 was. Also the soundtrack in the trailers I've seen so far rocks :p

They wont because they arent shills for it like GTA and because it doesnt reinvent its genre...

boco77

Banned
GTA4 didnt reinvent the genre either, many problem associated with the other entries plagued GTA4 as well. They just like certain game series over others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom