• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
My right controller wasn't powering on and it was making me freak since replacements are so expensive. It's never been dropped or damaged. Ironically, the headset is the only thing that's been dropped, once by my nephew. Oculus support told me to pull the batteries and allow it to power cycle, but what ended up working was a certain brand of batteries, Fujitsu high power AA that came with my guitar pedal and I hadn't opened.
61zCqXXtCNL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

These must make tighter contact than the other kinds. I've seen people say to use tin foil, too, but I didn't try that. Just a little FYI.

Last edited:

GloveSlap

So it looks like the 128gb Quest 2 will be $299 with free $50 gift card at target, best buy, and maybe amazon starting Nov. 21st. I really want to get it since that is like $235 with red card at Target.

I'm not sure if i should wait for the next version at this point though. I know some details on that new one leaked out, but that could just be a premium product and the Quest 3 might be a long time coming. I'm a bit torn.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
So it looks like the 128gb Quest 2 will be $299 with free $50 gift card at target, best buy, and maybe amazon starting Nov. 21st. I really want to get it since that is like $235 with red card at Target.

I'm not sure if i should wait for the next version at this point though. I know some details on that new one leaked out, but that could just be a premium product and the Quest 3 might be a long time coming. I'm a bit torn.

Project Cambria will release before Quest 3 and although it's a VR headset, Project Cambria is designed to introduce people to the early Metaverse.

FB were quick to confirm that Project Cambria isn't the next Quest, but as it's designed for the Metaverse and a VR headset, I think you'll still be able to game on it.

I actually think Project Cambria will be the high-end VR headset that allows metaverse and quest gaming, where the Q3 will just be for gaming and priced like the current Quest headset.

GloveSlap

Project Cambria will release before Quest 3 and although it's a VR headset, Project Cambria is designed to introduce people to the early Metaverse.

FB were quick to confirm that Project Cambria isn't the next Quest, but as it's designed for the Metaverse and a VR headset, I think you'll still be able to game on it.

I actually think Project Cambria will be the high-end VR headset that allows metaverse and quest gaming, where the Q3 will just be for gaming and priced like the current Quest headset.
Has there been any hint on when Quest 3 could launch?

mxbison

I'd instantly buy that deal (Quest 1 owner). Quest 3 is probably years away.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond Quest 2 standalone version released today. Comes in at a whopping 45GB, that would take pretty much all the usable space on the 64GB model I have(iirc ~52GB usable space). Looks like a cool game, but I’m going to wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales before I buy any more games.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond Quest 2 standalone version released today. Comes in at a whopping 45GB, that would take pretty much all the usable space on the 64GB model I have(iirc ~52GB usable space). Looks like a cool game, but I’m going to wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales before I buy any more games.
Its sheit

Tygeezy

They really needed to allow you to install Medal of honor in parts. Somebody hurting for space probably doesn't want the documentary or might just want to install the single player campaign and after finishing it uninstall and install the multiplayer. The player base for the multiplayer will probably be crap because nobody with 64 gb is going to want to keep it installed.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I completed Half-Life: Alyx and I have to say that was the greatest gaming experience I've had. I'm all for VR and I seriously hope Valve continues to make VR games, doesnt have to be HL related, but damn I'd love HL3. Shit, I'd love to play some Counter Strike VR if possible.

GHG

I don't know if it's truly a hit at this point. I mean I like my quest 2 and all but it's been sitting unused for months and I wonder how many millions more are in a smart state once the novelty wears off.

Blah Blah Blah Whatever GIF by Minions

It's always the same crap from the same people.

I'm sure you'll be saying the same thing after there are over 100 million of these devices out there.

ZehDon

10 million shipped is a pretty solid number, and appears to have outpaced PlayStation VR, which was the leading VR platform for a really long time.

It's taking its time, but it seems clear to me that VR is catching on.

GHG

10 million shipped is a pretty solid number, and appears to have outpaced PlayStation VR, which was the leading VR platform for a really long time.

It's taking its time, but it seems clear to me that VR is catching on.

There are two things I tell people about when I meet them.

My OLED and my Quest 2.

I will not be satisfied until everyone owns both, it's for their own good.

THE DUCK

Blah Blah Blah Whatever GIF by Minions

It's always the same crap from the same people.

I'm sure you'll be saying the same thing after there are over 100 million of these devices out there.

Well that's 10/10 sad when you can't even take a little criticism from another oculus owner. Your self esteem should not be tied to devices you own. Post overreaction of the year award achieved.

Of course eventually it will be truly mainstream but people like you have been saying that since 2005. It needs to be:

- lighter
- more comfortable
- higher resolution
- better graphic fidelity

Its coming and q2 is closer, but likely q3 will do it, especially if it's a couple of years from now.

GHG

Well that's 10/10 sad when you can't even take a little criticism from another oculus owner. Your self esteem should not be tied to devices you own. Post overreaction of the year award achieved.

Of course eventually it will be truly mainstream but people like you have been saying that since 2005. It needs to be:

- lighter
- more comfortable
- higher resolution
- better graphic fidelity

Its coming and q2 is closer, but likely q3 will do it, especially if it's a couple of years from now.

But what will you do when the "novelty" wears off?

Romulus

I don't know if it's truly a hit at this point. I mean I like my quest 2 and all but it's been sitting unused for months and I wonder how many millions more are in a smart state once the novelty wears off.

Well of course it is, but lots of brand new ps5s and switches are sitting around collecting dust too. Mine included. You can expect a lower percentage of usage from their user base when they're new. Quest 2 is its infancy in terms of software, it's barely a year old. But 10 million units is incredible in one year for VR. Psvr was the previous bestseller and did 5 million in 4 years. Colossal strides.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

You didn't dust it off for resident evil 4???? I've been playing that game when I can and then I try and play demeo with my friends every other week or so.

THE DUCK

Well of course it is, but lots of brand new ps5s and switches are sitting around collecting dust too. Mine included. You can expect a lower percentage of usage from their user base when they're new. Quest 2 is its infancy in terms of software, it's barely a year old. But 10 million units is incredible in one year for VR. Psvr was the previous bestseller and did 5 million in 4 years. Colossal strides.

Guess we will see if it has legs. I still think it's still missing some things to be a true hit.
I think the lack of software support hurts it a lot still, and fact that major players like ms still not seeing the market as even worthwhile to step into as telling. And I don't really see it as the same as putting aside a console, I know other people as well who own quest who don't use it at all. Still 10 million sold is ahead of what I expected.

I completed Half-Life: Alyx and I have to say that was the greatest gaming experience I've had. I'm all for VR and I seriously hope Valve continues to make VR games, doesnt have to be HL related, but damn I'd love HL3. Shit, I'd love to play some Counter Strike VR if possible.
I can't believe I get to suggest Pavlov. Get Pavlov my friend.

THE DUCK

You didn't dust it off for resident evil 4???? I've been playing that game when I can and then I try and play demeo with my friends every other week or so.

Funny you mention it, that and medal of honor do look interesting but who has time between fh5 and Halo and other games right now.

Romulus

Guess we will see if it has legs. I still think it's still missing some things to be a true hit.
I think the lack of software support hurts it a lot still, and fact that major players like ms still not seeing the market as even worthwhile to step into as telling. And I don't really see it as the same as putting aside a console, I know other people as well who own quest who don't use it at all. Still 10 million sold is ahead of what I expected.

MS has alot more to worry about than VR. They needed to go back to the drawing board anyway so their opinion on VR is to be taken with a grain of salt. They completely fumbled last gen and already had awful experiences with add ons, it makes sense. Up until the last year they barely did console gaming right. They're coming on strong finally though.

And I know several people that own switches, new xboxes, and ps5 that don't play them at all. Probably 15 that barely touch them.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

MS has alot more to worry about than VR. They needed to go back to the drawing board anyway so their opinion on VR is to be taken with a grain of salt. They completely fumbled last gen and already had awful experiences with add ons, it makes sense. Up until the last year they barely did console gaming right. They're coming on strong finally though.

And I know several people that own switches, new xboxes, and ps5 that don't play them at all. Probably 15 that barely touch them.

I guess the software sales dollars would be the true telling sign of usage and how attractive it will be for future software development and other company interest.
My understanding was in the past, this was less than 1% off the entire video game market, this will have needed to increase substantially to move the needle.

From 2020 numbers, the gaming market was 159 billion dollars, vr was just 589 million of that. Sure it's gone up but still not enough I suspect.

Oh sure I think for some the novelity will wear off, but as someone who uses my vr googles for flightsim specially for DCS (digital combat simulator) the ability to look around the cockpit using my head movement has been a gamechanger.

THE DUCK

Oh sure I think for some the novelity will wear off, but as someone who uses my vr googles for flightsim specially for DCS (digital combat simulator) the ability to look around the cockpit using my head movement has been a gamechanger.

This does just add fire to what I was alluding to, in that there may be 10 million quest units out there, but are they being used regularly, or in some cases for just one or two games like half life or a flight sim. While this is good for the player (price and performance is great) it doesn't lend itself well in either scenario to the kind of software sales needed to declare it a mainstream success. And I think this flushed out by the lack of developers lining up to make AAA games. That said every year is progress and steps towards that goal, they will get there soon enough.

Romulus

This does just add fire to what I was alluding to, in that there may be 10 million quest units out there, but are they being used regularly, or in some cases for just one or two games like half life or a flight sim. While this is good for the player (price and performance is great) it doesn't lend itself well in either scenario to the kind of software sales needed to declare it a mainstream success. And I think this flushed out by the lack of developers lining up to make AAA games. That said every year is progress and steps towards that goal, they will get there soon enough.

The thing is we don't know the software sales vs a declared "mainstream" console at a similar install base of 10 million. The majority could be following a similar trend, playing 2-3 popular games like COD or fornite. Thats literally 90% of the console gamers I've been around, especially when a device is new, like Quest 2.

Also, when people buy VR, they have a 2 year backlog of standalone Quest games and 5 year backlog if they have a PC. That's not even counting all the games that have good VR mods that people will buy.

There was a psvr statistic that showed those owners had a really high attach rate compared to regular ps4 owners.

But now we're looking at "it's not mainstream unless it sells alot of software." Ok, well quest has a ton of AA, not AAA choices. Do those purchases not count as much if they add up to similar unit sales? Its still revenue, and Quest 2 is new.

Stitch

Gold Member
thor GIF

Gladiatus is free

GloveSlap

I just bought the Quest 2 at Amazon with the $50 gift card. I was going to use the credit towards the Bobo VR strap, because i've heard it was good in passing. That is the one to get right?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Quest Black Friday sales are up. Nothing earth-shattering as it's mostly 25-40%, but a few deals worth looking at.

I have some of these on Steam, and some are on sale on Steam even cheaper than here, but I prefer the convenience of standalone play.

Right off the bat I decided to get Arizona Sunshine at $23.99(-40%). Pondering if I should get Fruit Ninja and Gun Club.

partime

The Quest 2's wireless link doesn't work on my computer (2x radeon rx580's). Screen is black, but I can hear the games audio from oculus. Apart from updating the graphic card drivers, anyone have similar issues? Oculus app says it's connected, but when loading a game (five nights at freddy's for example), black screen.

I ordered the overpriced usb-c link cable, so I'm hoping that will work.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The Quest 2's wireless link doesn't work on my computer (2x radeon rx580's). Screen is black, but I can hear the games audio from oculus. Apart from updating the graphic card drivers, anyone have similar issues? Oculus app says it's connected, but when loading a game (five nights at freddy's for example), black screen.

I ordered the overpriced usb-c link cable, so I'm hoping that will work.
I would test it with only 1 RX 580 to see if the crossfire is what's causing it. You could also try Virtual Desktop wireless streaming app for $15...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It seems most VR users are so casual and out of touch with anything Facebook doesn't serve on a silver platter that there's next to no talk of anything else even after an onslaught of news like the latest Upload VR (which is also far from a good source for VR news outside Facebook but it's probably and sadly the biggest around alongside a couple others, I can't wait for VR to go mainstream for real just so that some legit gaming sources start being involved with VR and covering all the platforms and hopefully all the great games, Facebook pimped or not) Showcase which had over 23 video reveals & updates debut and got co-streamed by IGN. It was nice to see more of Moss 2, Vertigo 2, Zenith and a few others. It's sad that Bean Stalker had to resort to sponsoring articles and this event to get any mention it exists. Other stuff was just more of what we've already seen plenty of, some announcements were neat and others eh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom