• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2009 NHL Thread - Old Man Cherry's Off His Meds Again™ Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Repeating what I said in Feb thread

Somehow I'm not shocked were getting raped.

Ott suspended for some bullshit retarded call
Tobias Stephan in goal (This guy has like 4 starts ever in his career?)
Richards/Morrow/Zubov out..

Fun times in Starsland :(

KilledByBill said:
I could see the Caps making a run this year but it would be more about the offense leading the team than Josey. But Theodore can go on fluky hot streaks as much as the next goalie. Besides, is the Capital's goaltending situation much more worse off than say Detroit's right now?
Chris Osgood has won 2 stanley cups, including last year's with almost this same exact team (without Hossa).

What has Theodore done?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
R_GILL said:
Man I hoped some deals would go down today

Another rumour:

Hmm interesting, I heard the same thing except I heard he was looking at Kelly rather than Vermette.

I don't think Vermette is going to be trade, nor do I want him to be. Kelly on the other hand, I would take a 7th round pick for him, he's making a million more than he should be for my liking.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Geez Stralman has a ridiculous slap shot. Why doesn't he use it more? Hopefully when he is back up he will start using it more.

Also Tlusty is easily the best player on the Marlies, probably the best player on the ice for both teams.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
erznli.jpg

oh yeah, go Canucks go! Take that February momentum and roll right through March.

jacket320

Just getting back from the Dallas game. Glad the Stars decided to take the day off. Guess I was looking forward to this game all season for nothing. No, it's cool Dallas. I'll just pay my money to see you skate around, leave your backup goal tender out to dry (again), and get berated by the Pens fans that were out in full force today at the AAC. This was probably the last game I'm going to be able to go to this season unless you make the playoffs... though my confidence is pretty much at a season low.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
I like the other thread more.. More informative. Everyone will forget about Cherry's senility in about 3 days.

Was at the Blackhawks game today and had a great time! Toews and Kane are something special to watch!

Has anyone ever noticed that Kane's mouth gaurd is always being chewed on and is never actaully in his mouth when he's playing.

I'm going to try get tickets for the tuesday nighter vs the ducks as well! Might as well take advantage of this week in Chicago.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I didn't see the other thread, hmm time for some mod power abuse?

naaaaah. But my title IS much better. So it stays.

Marvie_3

Banned
Nightbreeze said:
Has anyone ever noticed that Kane's mouth gaurd is always being chewed on and is never actaully in his mouth when he's playing.
I noticed this awhile ago(being a 'Hawks fan and all), still cracks me up though... :lol

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Rumoured Bruins offer for Kaberle

nesn said:
According to the Boston Herald, the Bruins have offered their 2008 first-round pick, forward Joe Colborne of Denver University, their 2009 No. 1 pick, and a third-round pick to the Toronto Maple Leafs for defenseman Tomas Kaberle.

Kaberle, 30, first showed signs of wanting to play in Boston after submitting a list of 10 teams to the Toronto front office with the Bruins listed in that group. Reports indicate that the 10 teams listed are the 10 teams ahead of the Maple Leafs in the Eastern Conference.

Hawks willing to part with Skille, Barker, or Wisniewski for upgrades

Tim Sassone said:
When Jack Skille was recalled from Rockford on Friday the timing was curious. At least one source said Skille is a player being offered around the league by the Hawks in hopes of landing a center and defenseman before Wednesday's trade deadline.
It's believed the Hawks were talking to the Ducks about Chris Kunitz before Kunitz was traded to Pittsburgh on Thursday for defenseman Ryan Whitney. The Hawks offered Anaheim a defenseman that wasn't Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook or Brian Campbell.
It's possible the Hawks would consider moving James Wisniewski or Cam Barker in the right deal.

Burke offering cap relief to teams for picks

DAVID SHOALTS said:
Now, with the trade deadline approaching on Wednesday, some GMs think there may be a number of those deals made, which amount to one team leasing its spare cap room to another for a price. A rebuilding team with room to spare under the salary cap and no plans to spend a lot of money on free agents this summer will offer to take an expensive contract off another team's hands, which will allow that other team to pursue a player who can help in the playoff drive. In return, the rebuilding team will receive a premium like a first-round draft pick along with the (usually) underachieving, overpaid player, who will serve out his contract and depart as a free agent.

The only catch is that these teams are not willing to take any contracts beyond next season. By the 2010-11 season, thanks to the collapsing economy, the salary cap is expected to drop by as much as $6-million (all currency U.S.) from the current $56.7-million and no GM wants to be caught holding a big contract tied to a bad player.

A couple of NHL sources say Toronto Maple Leafs president and GM Brian Burke has already made this kind of pitch to half a dozen teams, including the Sharks and Tampa Bay Lightning. His rental fee is said to be a first-round pick. The responses are said to range from “let me think about it,” to “drop dead.”

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Latest Eklund crap:

Ryan Smyth to Calgary(e4)

Eklund said:
Ryan Smyth back to Alberta?

Hearing that Ryan Smyth to Calgary is extremely possible....(one credible source, usually very conservative, called Ryan Smyth to Calgary "Very Likely. In fact if I had to pick one guy who would get traded to one team it would be Smyth to the Flames."

Kaberle to Boston(e3)

Eklund said:
Kaberle and Moore to Boston for two #1's +

This would be an outstanding pick for the B's and is far more likely than Pronger.

Antropov to Montreal(e3)

Eklund said:
Antropov to the Habs or Canucks

Lots of interesting twists to this one...

Other crap

Eklund said:
Looking into Jokinen and Morris to the Sabres....

Also looking into Lehtonen to the Red Wings (e3)

I know now who to blame if Kaberle doesn't end up traded.

Ott's suspension is the most retarded crap I have ever seen.

He was blindsided by Giguere at the end of the game.. and jumped by Moen. Ott was being creamed the whole time.. and has a messed up hand so hasn't fought in like 5 months and then they suspend him for "Eye Gouging"

What the flippin shit?

Not to mention the refs did jack shit to stop it seeing how the fight occurred 3-5 secs after the 3rd period buzzer.

Good god NHL.

R_GILL said:
Rumoured Bruins offer for Kaberle

Hawks willing to part with Skille, Barker, or Wisniewski for upgrades

Burke offering cap relief to teams for picks

If Burke can pull that off he deserves some kind of award :lol getting Tampa's #1 pick:lol

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
BigJonsson said:
If Burke can pull that off he deserves some kind of award :lol getting Tampa's #1 pick:lol

Doesn't necessarily have to be this years #1 pick.

Alucard

Banned
Nice win by the Pens. It's our first 3 game win streak since November 15th, 2008. Something positive is going on in Pittsburgh. Finally.

Let's all say it: "We're number eight! We're number eight!"

Alucard said:
Nice win by the Pens. It's our first 3 game win streak since November 15th, 2008. Something positive is going on in Pittsburgh. Finally.

Let's all say it: "We're number eight! We're number eight!"

It really is a breathe of fresh air to see these wins. I am going to be the first to say it.

"Crosby who?"

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
TurtleSnatcher said:
Ott's suspension is the most retarded crap I have ever seen.
He was blindsided by Giguere at the end of the game.. and jumped by Moen. Ott was being creamed the whole time.. and has a messed up hand so hasn't fought in like 5 months and then they suspend him for "Eye Gouging"
i dunno, i was with you until i saw this video and moen's legs go fucking insane at the 35 second mark, then you see the ref jerk his hand back and hold it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bmAiuaRKow&fmt=18

there's definitely somethin goin down in that scrum to make a man shake his legs like a toddler

May16

iDoubleSpy said:
It really is a breathe of fresh air to see these wins. I am going to be the first to say it.

"Crosby who?"
Incidentally, Crosby is actually the player in question's LAST name. You wouldn't ask, "Crosby Who?" That's probably why you were the first one to say it.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Barrage said:
Vermette for Leclaire? :lol Never change Ottawa.

Apparently this trade won't happen anytime soon

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Senators/2009/03/02/8584361-sun.html

The Blue Jackets are ready to deal G Pascal Leclaire, but his season-ending ankle surgery in January and the two years remaining at an average of $3.8 million (all terms US) are going to scare teams off. Leclaire, 25, had a 4-6-1 record with a 3.83 GAA before being injured and has lost the No. 1 job to Steve Mason. The Senators would likely pass if the Jackets were to offer Leclaire for W Antoine Vermette.

eznark

Banned
Is Kessel going to get traded? I'd love to be a Bruins fan but his presence is stopping me. I heard he may be on the block, for Pronger? Any truth?

eznark

Banned
If that was towards me, I have no clue who Eklund is. Some dude who knows I hate Kessel in my office told me he was possibly getting traded so I was interested.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
eznark said:
If that was towards me, I have no clue who Eklund is. Some dude who knows I hate Kessel in my office told me he was possibly getting traded so I was interested.

Nah it is towards me, Eklund is this dude who started this website where tells a bunch of sheeple his fake hockey rumours but he is incredibly popular.

And most rumours say Kessel is available for the right piece.

Doytch

Let's get this shit moving, lazy GMs...still no deals. I want to see bitter tears before the week is through, GMs getting fleeced!

Burke said the 1st/3rd/Colborne for Kaberle deal is total bullshit and was never mentioned. Good, because that's a shitty payoff, imo. It's basically a 2nd/4th, and Colborne? No thanks. If Kabby goes to Boston, I'd want Kessel, and I'd want their 1/2. We had 1/Carter on the table last year, I'm holding out hope for something of equal valuee.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Sean Avery is on re-entry waivers.

Hmm I wonder which option will be more entertaining, Avery being plucked up by a team right before the Rangers can put in a claim or Avery going to the Rangers and having to deal with Tortorella who hates him.

Acid08

Banned
There are some good games tomorrow. Philly at Boston especially. I'm not too excited about the SJ game tomorrow. Division games never seem to be too exciting :/.

Doytch

R_GILL said:
Sean Avery is on re-entry waivers.

Hmm I wonder which option will be more entertaining, Avery being plucked up by a team right before the Rangers can put in a claim or Avery going to the Rangers and having to deal with Tortorella who hates him.

I think Torts would be one of the few coaches who could keep Avery in check. He doesn't put up with bullshit, and won't go soft on him. Either that or it would be a meltdown of epic proportions.

It's a shit day for hockey. Only the Avs and Isles are playing tonight.

I'm pullin for a 3-point game. Avs win it in OT/SO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom