• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2009 NHL Thread - Old Man Cherry's Off His Meds Again™ Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buba Big Guns said:
And Brodeur with another fucking shutout for his 100th. Best goalie of all time.

Dude would've had both records: Most wins and shutouts had he played his usual, but he's also been real lucky his whole career by not being injured. I guess, it was time.

WASHINGTON -- Alex Ovechkin smiled that gap-toothed smile of his and laughed off Canadian TV analyst Don Cherry's criticism of his exuberant goal celebrations.

"He's a funny guy and old guy. He likes old-fashioned hockey," Ovechkin said yesterday after scoring his NHL-high 46th goal in Washington's 6-2 loss to Florida.

"He's not interesting to me, so he can say whatever he wants. I don't care about him," Ovechkin said.

The league's reigning MVP generally sounded far less upset about the whole thing than Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau, who fired back at Cherry when asked before the game about the bombastic personality's comments.

"He's a friend of mine. And he's an idol of mine. I mean, I love what Don Cherry has stood for, for 30 years. I just think that even the smartest people in the world are wrong sometimes, and I just thought he was wrong," Boudreau said. "Because he doesn't know Alex like we know Alex."

Mike Works said:
Tell me with a straight face that Jose Theodore will lead a team to the Stanley Cup.

Tell me.

As a Caps fan, I say no way.

The Minnesota Wild could be ready to deal goaltender Niklas Backstrom. Two NHL executives told Sun Media that the Wild might deal Backstrom before Wednesday's trade deadline rather than risk losing him for nothing as an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Caps are the most interested team according to rumours.

Apparently the rumour is that Guerin to Caps is a done deal but the Caps would have to make cap room for his arrival. This might mean more moves (maybe Nylander?) for the Caps in order to make this and other potential trades possible.

Sibylus

Banned
ForzaItalia said:
"He's a funny guy and old guy. He likes old-fashioned hockey," Ovechkin said yesterday after scoring his NHL-high 46th goal in Washington's 6-2 loss to Florida.
Ding ding ding!

Hate him or love him, he's just entertainment. People take him way too seriously.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
ForzaItalia said:
Apparently the rumour is that Guerin to Caps is a done deal but the Caps would have to make cap room for his arrival. This might mean more moves (maybe Nylander?) for the Caps in order to make this and other potential trades possible.

Who the hell would want that albatross of a contract.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
R_GILL said:
Who the hell would want that albatross of a contract.

Brian Burke's probably willing to take it off their hands
,as long as it comes alongside a dearth of draft picks

Socreges

Banned
Mike Works said:
STOP POSTING EKLUND SHIT, JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
I was just going to say that. It seems more out of place than it ever has, particularly when you know that the people sourcing him know he´s just full of shit

How´s the ´if Eklund´s rumours were true´ project coming??

Alucard

Banned
Socreges said:
I was just going to say that. It seems more out of place than it ever has, particularly when you know that the people sourcing him know he´s just full of shit

Does anyone have a collection of the "things that actually came true" versus "things that Eklund predicted" ratio?

Alucard

Banned
R_GILL said:
Yeah, it is something ridiculously low. Maybe 2%.

edit: Whoops sold him short there, he is 10/285 or 2.6%.

http://hockeybuzzhogwash.com/

Damn. Really makes you question the sanity of people who hang onto this guy's words. Nick Kypreos would probably have a better rumour/fact ratio.

...and just for fun...

-3.jpg

And hey, Jordan Staal is 7 points away from topping his career best rookie season. Good for him.

Socreges said:

i'll tell you when i'm finished this semester :/

jacket320

I've had some time to digest what I saw at the AAC yesterday. Stars-age, what's happened to our hockey team?

Razor's Blog said:
(Referring to the end of Saturday's game vs. the Anaheim)

No, what I found interesting was that when one of their toughest (Travis Moen) got a hold of [Steve Ott] and was raining fists on his cranium with Ott trying in vain to limit the damage without dropping gloves and risking re-injure to his surgically repaired broken hand, none of the Dallas Stars on the ice came to his aid.

FUCK YES. Get the hell in there and protect your teammate. The basics of the basics. Who the fuck was on the ice at the end of the game? Where the hell is Ludwig, Matvichuk, or Hatcher when you need them? I mean damn, this is a team that we play at least six times a year, every year. There are much larger implications than losing one random game on one random afternoon in Dallas. Where's the pack mentality, the killer instinct, or the willingness to protect home ice? Does that not mean anything?

Did they figure they would stay out of it so no one would get suspended for Sunday vs. the Pens? A lot of fuck good that did. They didn't even show up on Sunday, let alone act competitive. Damn it Dallas. Can we start playing hockey again, or is this it for the season?

Alucard

Banned
Mike Works said:
i'll tell you when i'm finished this semester :/

Dude, did you know we got Kovalchuk for Malkin, and also got Gaborik, St. Louis, and Hejduk for Whitney, Staal, and a bag of pucks?

Alucard

Banned
sefskillz said:
nothin like an avalanche / islanders throwdown to get this thread rockin

I'm so bored with the lack of hockey that I'm actually being productive and managed to prepare some lesson plans for a drama class I'm teaching, ahead of time.

Barrage

jacket320 said:
I've had some time to digest what I saw at the AAC yesterday. Stars-age, what's happened to our hockey team?

FUCK YES. Get the hell in there and protect your teammate. The basics of the basics. Who the fuck was on the ice at the end of the game? Where the hell is Ludwig, Matvichuk, or Hatcher when you need them? I mean damn, this is a team that we play at least six times a year, every year. There are much larger implications than losing one random game on one random afternoon in Dallas. Where's the pack mentality, the killer instinct, or the willingness to protect home ice? Does that not mean anything?

Did they figure they would stay out of it so no one would get suspended for Sunday vs. the Pens? A lot of fuck good that did. They didn't even show up on Sunday, let alone act competitive. Damn it Dallas. Can we start playing hockey again, or is this it for the season?

We didn't exactly have a tough guy contingent on the ice (Modano, Ribeiro...) But still, for fuck's sake, grab a guy and hold him. That was shameful. It's sad that when Morrow was knocked out for the season the team's average nut size was cut in half.

This might be one of the few occasions where i'm GLAD when Dallas picks up a tough guy at the dealine.

I got a question for stars fans, why did no one stand up for Ott the other game when he apparently gouged the guys eye? He pretty much got jumped by like 3 ducks and no one went to even try to help him and he has a hand that's been bothering him on top of it? Do you guys hate him that much or ?

Merguson

Banned
Well... Tuesday and Wednesday.

Tuesday should bring us a batch of trades, and Wednesday, of course is the deadline day.

Will be checking out TSN's Live Trade Tracker during class on Wednesday with the laptop.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I got a question for stars fans, why did no one stand up for Ott the other game when he apparently gouged the guys eye? He pretty much got jumped by like 3 ducks and no one went to even try to help him and he has a hand that's been bothering him on top of it? Do you guys hate him that much or ?

Because he's a little bitch

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
I'm glad to hear that Moreau's eye injury doesn't sound super serious.
It looked like he literally lost his eye on the HNiC feed on Saturday. Fucking gross.
I can't wait for the trade deadline. My productivity on Wednesday is gonna go down the shitter.

Alucard

Banned
Miro Satan has been placed on waivers. Pens likely testing the waters to see if there's any interest, and then they can move his 3.5 million elsewhere. Oddly enough, he's been playing fairly well over the past couple of weeks. I wouldn't mind a Hejduk for Satan/Wallace/pick deal. Seems realistic to me?

Manics

Banned
I was away last week during the Ovechkin / Fraudsby encounter, and I'd be remiss if I didn't comment on it.

It just proves beyond the shadow of any doubt that Ovechkin is a man, while Fraudsby is a girl who menstruates every 28 days. Poor Alex just happened to catch Cindy during her period. The results were painfully obvious.

Kingpen

No one wants Satan's SOFF play. There was a reason why he was the leftovers on the market last year.

I'll be shocked if Shero can get him off of our team by tomorrow... Thank god he had the foresight to only sign him to a 1 year deal last year (and to think I was cursing this move last summer for the short length - lol)

I don't see the pens making too many other moves. With this economy the way it is, I don't see them landing a big name player at all until they can shed salary and do it via free agency
Gill + Satan + Boucher frees up 9 mil in the offseason. I can see about 4 of that going toward raises, and maybe 5 going toward a mid range winger. It will be iffy if Garon / Fedex will be back either...

I personally would like to see the Pens snag Voros off of NYR waivers if they could.

Pochacco

Sean Avery back to New York.
Great deal for the Rags. Avery @ a $2M cap hit is really good.
He's not even that bad... it was mostly Turco that killed the Stars the first few months.

On the flip side, sucks for Dallas. They gotta pay $2M to Avery over the next 3 years. So they essentially dropped nearly $10M for 23 horrible games of Sean Avery :lol :lol

Will be interesting to see if he can get along with Torts though...

As part of the NHL on TSN panel earlier in the season, Tortorella was highly critical of Avery following his comments about actress Elisha Cuthbert, a former Avery flame and current girlfriend of Flames' blue liner Dion Phaneuf.

''Enough is enough. He's embarrassed himself, he's embarrassed the [Dallas] organization, he's embarrassed the league and he's embarrassed his teammates, who have to look out for him. Send him home. He doesn't belong in the league.''

Rangers' general manager Glen Sather sees Avery as a boost to a struggling Rangers squad and believes that his coach and new acquisition will be able to co-exist.

''He doesn't have the history with Sean that we do,'' Sather said on a conference call last week. ''Over time, you learn to love him, just like I do.''

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
6 MIL a year for Backstrom? I'm still of the opinion any goaltender can do well playing Lemaire's system.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
BOB MCKENZIE said:
(1:30pm et) - The Philadelphia Flyers are stepping up their efforts to acquire defenceman Jay Bouwmeester from the Florida Panthers, but salary cap constraints are rearing their ugly head.

The Flyers are bumping up against the cap and they are working hard to try to free up some space.

Sources say one of the options is trading goaltender Marty Biron and turning the number one job over to Antero Niittymaki. One potential scenario has the Flyers trading Biron to the Phoenix Coyotes as part of a plan that would see the Coyotes flip Biron to another team.

But the Coyotes aren't going to make that move unless they have the other deal already set up.

It should be noted, however, that Biron has a no-trade clause and would have to be on board with any move that is made.

There is also a similar scenario involving Boston goalie Manny Fernandez, who has reportedly been offered to Phoenix. The Coyotes have no interest in keeping Fernandez but might take him if they can flip him. Boston is only likely to trade Fernandez if they find a need to clear some cap space.

Sources say the Buffalo Sabres may be in the market for one of the available goaltenders, given Ryan Miller's high ankle sprain.

Also Antropov and Moore both out for the Maple Leafs.

Slurmer

Banned
Giving up Biron to make Niitty the starter would be a terrible move. Both have struggled, but Niitty is completely unproven.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
so leafs are most likely getting rid of antropov and moore? i'm ok with that if we get some good stuff out of it

antropov is good and moore is just a flash in the pan (asking $3 million a year? lawl) we can find other people to bury jason blakes rebounds

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Bergeron + picks for Pronger rumour going around right now.

Chara/Pronger/Wideman is a ridiculous defence.

Pochacco

Oh man.
The Devils are going to murder the Leafs tonight.
As a Parise fantasy hockey owner, I'm excited.

Doytch

FAN 590 said this morning that they'd heard some/a team was thinking about a Moore/Antropov package. If this was true, I have no idea why someone would want a Moore/Antro package instead of a Blake/Moore package. They're dynamite together.

mCACGj

Slurmer said:
Giving up Biron to make Niitty the starter would be a terrible move. Both have struggled, but Niitty is completely unproven.

I'm also not sold on trading for JBo in the first place. No doubt he'd be a big upgrade but he's not what the team really needs. They need a guy like Hatcher (any word on him?) or Pronger (too big a cap hit). Plus, once they trade for JBo it won't be worth it unless they're able to lock him up, and that's another huge deal in the range of 6.5 a year, which would really restrict things for years to come.

I'm kind of worried about what Holmgren might do just to do something. But I swear if they trade JVR for Lehtinen....

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Doytch said:
FAN 590 said this morning that they'd heard some/a team was thinking about a Moore/Antropov package. If this was true, I have no idea why someone would want a Moore/Antro package instead of a Blake/Moore package. They're dynamite together.

It is still very hard to trade Blakes contact. 3 years left at 4 per for a guy in his late 30s with Cap Armageddon coming up.

Barrage

mCACGj said:
I'm also not sold on trading for JBo in the first place. No doubt he'd be a big upgrade but he's not what the team really needs. They need a guy like Hatcher (any word on him?) or Pronger (too big a cap hit). Plus, once they trade for JBo it won't be worth it unless they're able to lock him up, and that's another huge deal in the range of 6.5 a year, which would really restrict things for years to come.

I'm kind of worried about what Holmgren might do just to do something. But I swear if they trade JVR for Lehtinen....

The Flyers won't be a true contender until they get rid of Briere's contract. It's one of the 5 worst in the NHL.

Gomez
Drury
Spezza
Briere
DiPietro

Noone with any of these players will win anything.

mCACGj

Barrage said:
The Flyers won't be a true contender until they get rid of Briere's contract. It's one of the 5 worst in the NHL.

Gomez
Drury
Spezza
Briere
DiPietro

Well they can contend, hell, they did last year, they just won't be able to make the necessary moves to get them over the top with that contract weighing on them.

Barrage

R_GILL said:
You forgot Redden.

Hmmm...Redden VS DiPietro....Redden plays and sucks....DiPietro is good but brittle....

Redden's off the books in 2014. DiPietro's lifted on 2021.

DiPietro's is shittier.

Barrage said:

Gomez
Drury
Spezza
Briere
DiPietro

Funny how you lump Spezza in with those when he was one of Ottawa's best players when they made the finals and is still only 24. And DiPietro is pretty damn good. Brittle maybe but so is Zubov who is making 5 million + and never even plays.

R_GILL

I'm tanking for Kabanov!
Barrage said:
Hmmm...Redden VS DiPietro....Redden plays and sucks....DiPietro is good but brittle....

DiPietro's is shittier.

I would say Redden is way worse then Spezza. Hell I would take Spezza anyday, isn't he like 25 with two 90 point seasons and one at 87. Sure this season has been a bust but he will bounce back.

Barrage said:

DiPietro's is shittier.
Redden's contract is worse than Spezza's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom