• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official March 2009 NHL Thread - Old Man Cherry's Off His Meds Again™ Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

purg3

slept with Malkin
ForzaItalia said:
I think Philly is a bad matchup for the Pens come playoff time. Too much grit for the soft Pens.

Nah, it's only a bad matchup if biron holds up and can play the way he did today through a full series. If it weren't for him robbing crosby and then staal towards the end, we would have won that game. Flyers playoff run is going to completely depend on his play.

Oh and pens aren't soff, even Gonch was throwing punches today. :lol

gcubed

purg3 said:
Nah, it's only a bad matchup if biron holds up and can play the way he did today through a full series. If it weren't for him robbing crosby and then staal towards the end, we would have won that game. Flyers playoff run is going to completely depend on his play.

Oh and pens aren't soff, even Gonch was throwing punches today. :lol

pretty much summed up last year until the Penguins series, even then he wasnt bad, the Flyers just werent as good as the Pens last year.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The Sens pull off another win, 9 of the last 10.

When Bob Mackenzie said that the Sens have only won games against non playoff teams and lost games against teams like the Flames and Bruins, I wanted to punch him in the face because those losses were by a very small margin (1-0 in the case of the Bruins game) and the Sens were in all of those games.

This season is the exact opposite of last season, start weak and finish strong instead of start very strong and finish very weak.

Sanjuro

Good to see the B's pick up a win today after that last game against the Devils. I was in Texas for a bit and obtaining hockey news there was a challenging task.

Doytch

Leafs Nation™ supports the Senators quest to dethrone Les Habitants du Montreal from their playoff spot.

Rags played like shit tonight though. The only time I was actually impressed with them was with their PK, which is pretty damn good.

Alucard

Banned
I missed all of the weekend fun because I was out in Montreal, but reading the stats for the Pens/Flyers game, and the comments on here, it sounds like Biron stood pretty tall for Philly. It's nice to see us outshooting teams now, at the very least.

Oh, Habs...the city feels like it's in mourning.

Cedeo

GILLETT CONSIDERS FRANCHISE SALE

Liverpool co-owner George Gillett is reportedly considering selling the famous Montreal Canadiens NHL franchise as he undertakes a review of his assets.

The news, reported on Monday by Montreal-based newspaper La Presse, is likely to re-open speculation about Gillett's long-term commitment to Liverpool, which he co-owns with fellow American Tom Hicks.

According to the report, Gillett has called in financial advisors to take stock of his assets, and is considering anything from a restructuring of his interests to a sell-off.

"The process has been started but we're only at the beginning," Canadiens team president Pierre Boivin told La Presse.

"We're not hiding it; we're going through a very difficult economic period."

Gillett also owns the Canadiens' home arena, the Bell Centre, and a NASCAR team.

He and Hicks bought Liverpool in February 2007 with ambitious plans to build a new stadium.

Since then, the credit crunch has put the stadium on hold, while the two owners engaged in a very public spat before recently claiming their relationship has been repaired.

Last week, Hicks reiterated his commitment to Liverpool for the long term, insisting his share in the team is not for sale, but little has been heard from Gillett.

According to the most recent rankings in American business magazine Forbes, the Canadiens franchise is valued at US 334 million (£230 million).

GSG Flash

Cedeo said:

Liverpool co-owner George Gillett is reportedly considering selling the famous Montreal Canadiens NHL franchise as he undertakes a review of his assets.

The news, reported on Monday by Montreal-based newspaper La Presse, is likely to re-open speculation about Gillett's long-term commitment to Liverpool, which he co-owns with fellow American Tom Hicks.

According to the report, Gillett has called in financial advisors to take stock of his assets, and is considering anything from a restructuring of his interests to a sell-off.

"The process has been started but we're only at the beginning," Canadiens team president Pierre Boivin told La Presse.

Gillett also owns the Canadiens' home arena, the Bell Centre, and a NASCAR team.

He and Hicks bought Liverpool in February 2007 with ambitious plans to build a new stadium.

Since then, the credit crunch has put the stadium on hold, while the two owners engaged in a very public spat before recently claiming their relationship has been repaired.

Last week, Hicks reiterated his commitment to Liverpool for the long term, insisting his share in the team is not for sale, but little has been heard from Gillett.

According to the most recent rankings in American business magazine Forbes, the Canadiens franchise is valued at US 334 million (£230 million).

I'd rather sell the Nascar team, now that's a sport(lol) that looks like it's growth has stagnated, southern Americans are the only people in the world that like watching cars go in circles.

gcubed

GSG Flash said:
I'd rather sell the Nascar team, now that's a sport(lol) that looks like it's growth has stagnated, southern Americans are the only people in the world that like watching cars go in circles.

and Europeans

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Cedeo said:

Don't let Bettman get involved in this or else we'll be watching the Des Moines Canadiens in 2010.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
They should move the Habs to Canada. There's not enough fucking Canadian teams. It's a Canadian sport god damnit. Fuck Bettman

Slurmer

Banned
Yeah I've noticed Caps have had their problems as well. I'm just glad Philly has a pretty good PK.

Is anyone else watching the Florida/Carolina game? What the hell is up with this coverage?

And I had no idea Carolina had shot so far up in the standings. If they win this game they are in 5th place.

Go Calgary!
bret_hart.jpg

Wow I was just checking the defensive scoring leaders and Green is 9 points up on Markov even though he missed 14 games this season and has 64 points in 60 games played.

Iafrate was part of another NHL record that continues to stand and figures to for quite some time. Iafrate (25), Kevin Hatcher (34) and Sylvain Cote (20) all scored 20 goals for the 1992-93 Washington Capitals, the only time three defenceman from the same NHL team did so during the same season

I don't really ever see that record being broken in today's game...

Alucard

Banned
I had a dream that I met Mario Lemieux and we were just going for a stroll through a grassy field and having a chat. Totally gay. Totally awesome.

Socreges

Banned
Alucard said:
I had a dream that I met Mario Lemieux and we were just going for a stroll through a grassy field and having a chat. Totally gay. Totally awesome.
what did you two talk about? did mario seem at all uncomfortable during this? was he enjoying it as much as you, oblivious to the fact that he was spending his time in a grassy field having a chat with some guy he doesn´t know? lastly, did he have clothes on? did you?

Mii

Banned
Either Anaheim's or Nashville's playoff hopes fall apart tonight.

Dallas might be slain as well.

Can't say I'm upset over this.

I'm still cheering for you though, Nashville <3

And as much as I hate Detroit, I can't bring myself to cheer for the Men of Oil, ever. The wounds are still open. I still remember that Torres hit.

GSG Flash

Rapping Granny said:
Fuck you Carolina for being so weak and not finishing the Panthers in 3 periods and giving them an extra point.

That's good for the Sens (slim) playoffs hope, we were gonna have to clear 81 points either way. Now we just need the Habs to lay another egg tonight.

Barrage

That's right. Lull them into a false sense of security.

Hey Vancouver fans, I know you're probably very confident in your team's chances. After all, look what happened last game! So why don't want of you Pavelginas take my offer of an avatar bet?

I'm looking at you, Mke. Dark Knight came out on Blu-Ray 3 months ago mothafucka

making a stars fan change his avatar to something demeaning would be like applying whore lipstick on a corpse

i'm too compassionate to kick a team when it's already been kicked out of playoff contention ;)

pringles said:
this is some terrible reffing in the Wings-Flames game.

Got home, turned the game on, saw the score, and turned it off (3-1, 3rd period).

What was bad about the reffing, since I'm to lazy to watch the highlights too.

I figured they were going to lose also *shrugs

Mii said:
Either Anaheim's or Nashville's playoff hopes fall apart tonight.

Dallas might be slain as well.

Can't say I'm upset over this.

I'm still cheering for you though, Nashville <3

And as much as I hate Detroit, I can't bring myself to cheer for the Men of Oil, ever. The wounds are still open. I still remember that Torres hit.

Ahem, President's trophy? President's trophy and home ice advantage heals all wounds and the Sharks can actually (sometimes) win at home now, unlike last season when home ice was a death sentence.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Some of Brian Burke's latest tweets:
Rumors that the Habs may be for sale. I'll ask Mikhail Grabovski, since based on the past few games he apparently owns them.

Updating my address book. @BobGainey, will you still have the same e-mail when you're fired five minutes after the regular season ends?

Nice win, but let's not get too excited. This time of year, anyone can beat up on a team with absolutely no playoff hopes.
(after the Leafs beat the Habs)

Told the team to embrace the role of "spoiler". They've responded by telling playoff contenders the endings of movies they haven't seen yet.

Hilarious!

Also found a Kevin Lowe one: http://twitter.com/kevinlowe4
I wonder if the Sidney Crosby one is really him? http://twitter.com/sidneycrosby

Mii

Banned
bean breath said:
Ahem, President's trophy? President's trophy and home ice advantage heals all wounds and the Sharks can actually (sometimes) win at home now, unlike last season when home ice was a death sentence.

No regular season trophy, no home ice can ever make up for the trauma the 06 playoffs caused. Best I can do is be indifferent to this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom