• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ Games For May: Tropico 5, Table Top Racing: World Tour, Bionic Commando Rearmed 2

I am not surprised to see gaf rush to defend another shameful month on ps plus. It is, sadly, a sign of our times. The way in which the quality of ps plus has eroded is emblematic of how the corporate suits keep ruining the lives of everyone else. It goes like this: start by promising great things, and DELIVER on them. Give us great AAA retail games and value for our money. This is them throwing us in the pot. Then slowly, slowly start lowering the quality of games. If gradual enough we won't feel the temperature rise until it's too late and we are boiled alive, stuck with nothing but pixel art and indie games, happily paying to play online, for the rest of our lives. While applauding them all the way.

This is the same as when we were young, promised a great future if we just worked hard enough, studied hard enough. And now we're left without jobs and six figure student depts. It's exactly the same thing: Promise us greatness, but leave us with less than nothing.

And the worst part is that we do nothing. Or worse. We are happy with it! We thank them kindly for whatever scraps they see fit to leave us. The same thing is happening in the election. Bernie promises to break the banks up and tear this broken system down, yet we stumble over ourselves in our eagerness to vote for a corporate lapdog like Hillary instead.

The way PS Plus has been handled these last couple of years ia just another way in which my generation has been screwed over by the 1 percent.

graywolf323

I'm actually pretty excited for Tropico 5

they're never going to be able to please everyone

I am not surprised to see gaf rush to defend another shameful month on ps plus. It is, sadly, a sign of our times. The way in which the quality of ps plus has eroded is emblematic of how the corporate suits keep ruining the lives of everyone else. It goes like this: start by promising great things, and DELIVER on them. Give us great AAA retail games and value for our money. This is them throwing us in the pot. Then slowly, slowly start lowering the quality of games. If gradual enough we won't feel the temperature rise until it's too late and we are boiled alive, stuck with nothing but pixel art and indie games, happily paying to play online, for the rest of our lives. While applauding them all the way.

This is the same as when we were young, promised a great future if we just worked hard enough, studied hard enough. And now we're left without jobs and six figure student depts. It's exactly the same thing: Promise us greatness, but leave us with less than nothing.

And the worst part is that we do nothing. Or worse. We are happy with it! We thank them kindly for whatever scraps they see fit to leave us. The same thing is happening in the election. Bernie promises to break the banks up and tear this broken system down, yet we stumble over ourselves in our eagerness to vote for a corporate lapdog like Hillary instead.

The way PS Plus has been handled these last couple of years ia just another way in which my generation has been screwed over by the 1 percent.

prime example of Poe's Law, I honestly can't tell if this is a serious post or sarcastic

Draff

I bought Tropico 5 at launch and it's a pretty fun game if you enjoy city building games like Anno or Caesar.

The game's a little buggy though.

What the hell? Tropico is great

nUuAZny.gif

prime example of Poe's Law, I honestly can't tell if this is a serious post or sarcastic

Serious? Sarcastic? It's bloody genius! xD (2nd paragraph, and final line gives it away.)

barit

Must say I've been happy with Plus on PS4. And it's another cracking month. Been thinking of Tropico for some time so I'm stocked it's now free. Also Switch Galaxy Ultra has a retro Trailblazer look to it, can't wait to give it a go on my Vita.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Tropico this month and Zombi last month makes 2 AAA games in a row. Still something to complain about ;)

For the neigh sayers here's my highlights from Plus over the past couple of PS4 years:

Contrast, Resogun, Outlast, Mercenary Kings, Fez, Spelunky, Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty, Race The Sun, Entwined, Rocket League, Limbo, Gauntlet: Slayer Edition, Grim Fandango Remastered, Tropico 5, and of course Driveclub

Not my taste, but other notables include: Strider, Injustice: Gods Among Us, InFamous: First Light, Transistor, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, Zombi

For the money we're paying I think Sony are doing a great job.

No love for Helldivers and Galak-Z? Bought both before they were free on PS+ and wasn't disappointed

PS+ is still a very good service even with some lackluster months. Can't deny that

holy hyperbole batman!

ill admit igc offerings have been somewhat subpar the last 2-3 months but its not outright terrible the way you describe it. some people enjoy trying out new games they otherwise wouldnt have paid for. if your not happy why continue your subscription?

LakeEarth

No love for Helldivers and Galak-Z? Bought both before they were free on PS+ and wasn't disappointed

PS+ is still a very good service even with some lackluster months. Can't deny that

In the span of 3 hours, Helldivers kicked me out mid-mission seven times. SEVEN! I know there's a good game in there, but holy crap was that a bad first impression.

Shady859

Tropico 5 as a freebie actually makes a ton of sense after reading the May 2016 console release thread. The Xbone version (with DLC) releases May 24 for $50 while Sony is shouting here just take it for free.

I've been tempted to buy a Tropico game several times during Steam sales but never have so will definitely give it a go. The racing will depend on the MP but it looks pretty vanilla and boring in videos. Just realize you are spending $40ish a year for online play and maybe 3-4 good freebies a you actually would have purchased.

I'm excited about God of War: Ghost of Sparta, since I never bought it for some reason. I did play through and like Chains of Olympus...quite a bit, actually. And I've been kicking myself for not playing its sequel.

Also interested in Table Top Racing, which could be fun.

AAA Titles: Injustice, InFamous, Metal Gear Solid V, DriveClub, Zombi, and now Tropica. Really you should add both Abe's Oddysee and Grim Fandango to that list. Plus both this month and last month were both legitimate AAA titles.

As for value for money. £50 per year divided by 72 games per year (12 months, 3 platforms, 2 games per platform) is 69p per game!

Seriously, in 2 years of PS4 you've not got any value out of Plus? Hell if I ignore Vita and PS3, and just look at the list in my last post I've found 15 games. That's about £6.66 per game. I'm sure the value I've got is better than that because I know there are games I didn't mention that I'm interested in.

TLDR; Time to broaden your horizons. You never know Table Top Racing might be fun - actually it sounds fun.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm excited about God of War: Ghost of Sparta, since I never bought it for some reason. I did play through and like Chains of Olympus...quite a bit, actually. And I've been kicking myself for not playing its sequel.

Also interested in Table Top Racing, which could be fun.

It is actually a prequel to the original God of War I believe... but I get what you mean, lol. You will enjoy it a lot if you liked Chains. Great game.

CamHostage

Oh good, Bionic Commando 2 for free. I have always wanted to try that, but the word on how it plays made me gunshy after having every dream realized with the first BC:R.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

This post gave me a good chuckle. I needed that. The PS Plus lineup isn't even funny anymore. Now it's just depressing.

aka_bueno

In the span of 3 hours, Helldivers kicked me out mid-mission seven times. SEVEN! I know there's a good game in there, but holy crap was that a bad first impression.

That's what killed the game for me, the connectivity issues in that game were like nothing I've ever seen before.

But when I was able to get some missions going, it was a brilliant game co-op. But after so many constant connection issues I got frustrated and stopped. The developers said they were working on a fix but I don't know if it was resolved or not.

Luckily, Alienation just came out and its amazing!

Really solid month for me. Always wanted to try a Tropico game but never pulled the trigger. Same for Ghosts of sparta. Tabletop Racing has a lot of potential. Eurogamer have been quite positive about it for a while. The rest are decent but I doubt I will even download them.
Happy overall. Keep this up Sony and you will be getting a year long subscription from me when my current one expires soon.

There is an easy, objective way to determine if PS+ is worth it, specifically for you.

Step 1)
Try all the PS+ games for the platforms available to you
Step 2)
Over the period of your subscription, count all the games you got via PS+ that you finished/played a lot (assuming you only finish games you enjoy...). Including the ones you would never have bought. Calculate if it had been cheaper to just buy those games instead.

E.g. I had access to 76 PS4 games since launch via PS+. I finished 15 of those (another 5 or so I would like to play more but let's not count them).

Costs = 2.5 years of PS+ via 12 month sub = 125€ (actually it's less as I buy PSN cards via ebay).
So that means I paid 8.33€ per game on average which I'm pretty sure is still cheaper than buying these games without PS+ (i know you have to be subscribed to PS+ to access them so it's not the same thing but on the other hand I already finished all of them, so...).
To be fair, it might not be much if you only buy them at the cheapest possible price (some of my games dropped below 8€ if you waited long enough). However, in addition I saved even more from buying stuff with PS+ discounts. I also played a couple of the PS3 games.

Therefore I can say for myself that PS+ is still worth it. And that's without giving features like online mp etc. an artificial value.
I'm not saying I don't see a change from the years before the PS4, but as long as I save money over time I won't even think of canceling.

Wagram

Well I actually have been wanting to play Ghost of Sparta, but holy shit this is the worst month in recent memory.

StereoVsn

"Sony shot themselves in the foot, I am an expert, etc...."

I have a hard time telling when people are serious on this board lately.

Cynn

Tropico 5 is a fantastic game. It has great gameplay and an interesting story too. (Unless you don't like racing against the clock building an advanced car factory and a science research center in the hopes of creating a time travel device to stop the apocalypse while also having to maintain your rum exports to Russia) Yeah, the game cover art doesn't convey that huh? I do miss the old El Presidente voice actor though.

I adore the Tropico series. You guys got a deluxe burrito with fresh sour cream. Those of you crying for Watchdogs would prefer a turd on a plate for some reason.

Excellent line up once again. I've been keen to try Tropico again after 3 and some split screen racing might be fun. Worth a go anyway.

Popsickles

I am the only one who thinks that Table Top Racing actually looks pretty good. if you google it its not just a port of the Ios game, it has split screen and 8 player online looks pretty fun and the graphics are not bad. I have also never play a tropico game because i was never sure if I would like it and scared to drop the money on it, this way its no risk. And to those saying they will drop plus because of this well I guess you wont be playing Uncharted 4 Online or the new COD when it drops or Titanfall 2 or .....etc

hydruxo

Haven't played a city builder game in years so I'm cool with getting Tropico. It'll be a nice change of pace.

Rest of the lineup is weak but oh well.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Glad about Bionic Commando Rearmed 2. I'd previously refused to buy it due to it having to always be online for like DRM purposes or something like that.
I'm so much against that stupid DRM that I'm thinking of not downloading it at all.

Gutek

Tropic is a great game. Will gladly replay on consoles.

Edit: What? People are down on the May offerings? Tropico is a fantastic game. Y'all trippin.

Top Bottom