• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC is a mess (non-native render, badly optimized, overpriced, etc)

Yeah the UWP games have been total shitshows, you'd think Microsoft would care considering they're the ambassadors to UWP for pc gamers but nope apparently not.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
good guy remedy sabotages own game to stave off uwp adoption

your sacrifice will not be forgotten!

It's such a shame. Remedy/Max Payne 1 was amazing. Then they went whole-hog on Micorsoft/X-box's petard. :/

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Sorry to get hung up on this, I know the game running horrible should be the real problem but....who thought "Yeah, let's just charge 20€ more than most AAA games on PC? That'll get people to use our store"
Holy fucking shit. 70€? WHAT.THE.FUCK.

Did MS hire the original Xbox One Team back to help launch the store?

Trup1aya

I feel that it will be hard for MS to fix this glorious UWP/WinStore launch now so I'm kinda expecting them to stop supporting the whole thing in about two years from now. Wait, I'm having a deja vu...

No way! Most of the things they hope to sell in the store aren't AAA video games.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Sorry to get hung up on this, I know the game running horrible should be the real problem but....who thought "Yeah, let's just charge 20€ more than most AAA games on PC? That'll get people to use our store"
Holy fucking shit. 70€? WHAT.THE.FUCK.

Did MS hire the original Xbox One Team back to help launch the store?
I hear ya man, the audacity to charge a PREMIUM for a POS PC port should speak volumes about MS's direction & UWP/Store exclusivity tie-ins. They just don't give a fuck.

I get the feeling from all this that Remedy was told to make a Win10 version very very late in development and was building the game with the expectation it was going absolutely nowhere else prior to the change.

Kind of shocking considering Remedy's history with PC games.

Is this some sort of shitty Microsoft parity clause?

I mean, you don't have ANY other way to think other than conspiracy theories at this point. Never in ANY PC gamer's right mind would come a day where they'd suspect Remedy of a shoddy PC port. Now just for shits and giggles, imagine titles with pro-PC developers behind them, like the PC version of Cyberpunk 2077, becoming a Windows Store exclusive (LOL, will never happen; just an example to prove a point) and locked behind this API because $$$ spoke. Now people like CDPR, will obviously not give in no matter how much money is showered upon them for exclusivity because they've got a bigger fish in distribution through GOG, but consider smaller yet pro-PC studios. You know who they are. This might well be a temporary business model for them and the shovelware graveyard that is the Windows store, until they start shipping Windows 11 or Windows 10.2 with D3D13.

Scale bound is unreal 4 so I wouldn't be TOO worried

GeOW:UE runs on the final revision of Unreal 3. The state of that initial PC release might give you a fair idea on both, the requirements and the performance ballpark of UE4 Xbox One exclusives coming to PC, lol.

Corpekata

Banned
It also has issues with Gsync the way Gears of War did, but GoW only had issues with cinematics. Have to disable it to get it run normally.

Meh. As long as I can get XBO performance without having to actually buy an XBO, I'm happy. It's more than I was expecting before the PC version was announced.

Yeah the UWP games have been total shitshows, you'd think Microsoft would care considering they're the ambassadors to UWP for pc gamers but nope apparently not.

The UWP version of Rise of the Tomb Raider worked well enough, aside from the standard UWP restrictions. Performance between the UWP and Steam versions was comparable according to benchmarks by a couple of Gaffers.

Of course, that was also a Nixxes game.

Momentary

Banned
KI is pretty damn good if you ask me. It must be the studios. As much as I HATE XBOX live and the windows store, I think the ones to blame are the ones who did the port.

Burt

Wow this looks awful.

W4gY7eK.jpg

this-is-bullshit-o.gif

thisisbullshit.gif not immediately posted? You're slipping, GAF.

I mean, you don't have ANY other way to think other than conspiracy theories at this point. Never in ANY PC gamer's right mind would come a day where they'd suspect Remedy of a shoddy PC port. Now just for shits and giggles, imagine titles with pro-PC developers behind them, like the PC version of Cyberpunk 2077, becoming a Windows Store exclusive (LOL, will never happen; just an example to prove a point) and locked behind this API because $$$ spoke. Now people like CDPR, will obviously not give in no matter how much money is showered upon them for exclusivity because they've got a bigger fish in distribution through GOG, but consider smaller yet pro-PC studios. You know who they are. This might well be a temporary business model for them and the shovelware graveyard that is the Windows store, until they start shipping Windows 11 or Windows 10.2 with D3D13.

Remedy started life as a PC developer, they use to make the benchmarking software for Futuremark. I realize that was a long time ago, but most of the original key staff are still at that company. But I would expect nothing but a polished port coming out of this developer.

The resolution thing reminds me of unmodded Dark Souls 1 on PC.

I think 2016 will be the year of hyperbole and exaggeration. Or of hardcore memory loss.
While the situation is clearly not good for a AAA crossplatform launch at 70 damn euros, so the same price as on consoles, clevermicrosoft.jpg (I don't know the guy who is managing the games' greenlighting at Microsoft but if his objective is to give the worst image possible of UWP, even when it is not necessarily at fault, he is doing a hell of a good job), people needs to calm down quite a bit.

Aside from the reconstruction method that seems to be in effect since it might be too hard to disable, the problem with framepacing, making the framerate switching from full refresh rate to half refresh rate, looks quite the same as a hardcore double-buffered vsync. Which is actually strange since UWP is supposed to somehow push triple-buffered vsync in the application, but well.
The performances reports are not necessarily THAT bad either. I mean, trying to bypass the reconstruction method by downsampling up to 4K, all settings to the max and complaining about bad framerate is quite... err...
Even in 1080p, in a game using cutting-edge techs such as real-time GI, real-time surface reflections, volumetric lighting and such, every effects computed at a much higher resolution than on Xbox One, even if the game needs to be fixed here and there performance-wise, yeah, this game is gonna and is supposed to hurt a lot of rigs.

nynt9

Eagerly awaiting all the juniors and PC-thread-newcomers to tell me how this is actually a good thing.

hlhbk

Windows pc store is already heading to the grave. I seriously don't see the logic. Microsoft should have been making sure these ports were flawless if they wanted any hope of it surviving.

Eagerly awaiting all the juniors and PC-thread-newcomers to tell me how this is actually a good thing.
It ensures a "premium" experience only goes to XB1 first class gamers or those who pay a very large premium for the privilege.

First class tickets are supposed to be expensive.

Maxey

I think 2016 will be the year of hyperbole and exaggeration. Or of hardcore memory loss.
While the situation is clearly not good for a AAA crossplatform launch at 70 damn euros, so the same price as on consoles, clevermicrosoft.jpg (I don't know the guy who is managing the games' greenlighting at Microsoft but if his objective is to give the worst image possible of UWP, even when it is not necessarily at fault, he is doing a hell of a good job), people needs to calm down quite a bit.

Aside from the reconstruction method that seems to be in effect since it might be too hard to disable, the problem with framepacing, making the framerate switching from full refresh rate to half refresh rate, looks quite the same as a hardcore double-buffered vsync. Which is actually strange since UWP is supposed to somehow push triple-buffered vsync in the application, but well.
The performances reports are not necessarily THAT bad either. I mean, trying to bypass the reconstruction method by downsampling up to 4K, all settings to the max and complaining about bad framerate is quite... err...
Even in 1080p, in a game using cutting-edge techs such as real-time GI, real-time surface reflections, volumetric lighting and such, every effects computed at a much higher resolution than on Xbox One, even if the game needs to be fixed here and there performance-wise, yeah, this game is gonna and is supposed to hurt a lot of rigs.

Lol, I was talking about the blurry IQ. Calm down man.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's such a shame. Remedy/Max Payne 1 was amazing. Then they went whole-hog on Micorsoft/X-box's petard. :/

To be fair, Microsoft's decision to make Alan Wake an X360 exclusive came well after the two had partnered up, and given how long it took to get the sales that it has, I doubt Remedy would have had much luck in finding a different publisher willing to fund another AAA game. Quantum Break likely wouldn't exist if it weren't for MS. In fact, considering what happened with Alan Wake, I wouldn't be surprised if MS was Remedy's last choice for QB.

Lol, I was talking about the blurry IQ. Calm down man.

Nothing in particular against you lol, no worries, just a little reaction after a day of quotes like "an early PS3 game had a better quality !" that are getting kinda annoying :p

prag16

Banned
I don't know. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I just need to turn in my master race card because I'm not discerning enough, but this seems kind of overblown to me.

I'm on a stock 2550k, 970, an SSD, and 16GB of DDR3-1600. I'm playing at 1680x1050 (yes I have an old-ass monitor) on a mixture of medium and high settings. It's definitely not a solid 60, but it isn't jumping around too much, and it's well above 30 pretty much at all times.

The IQ is definitely muddier than I would expect overall, and there's some of the LOD pop-in going on, but I'm not seeing anything too egregious at all. A hitch here and there but no constant frame pacing issues that people are apparently seeing Maybe because I'm not being too ambitious with the settings I'm running it at. And damn if these aren't the best faces/models I've ever seen in a game.

Just made it to the first TV segment, and I'm having a blast so far. Yeah, UWP sucks, and this does seem to have a ton of room for improvement. But I'm not sorry I dropped $60 (well, spent that much worth of gamestop trade-in credit on xbox store gift cards), I love Remedy, and I have little doubt this will land in my top 3 for 2016 GOTY. If you were heavily interested up until this thread, well, don't just dismiss it out of hand. I think there's some hyperbole here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Eusis

Kind of shocking considering Remedy's history with PC games.

Is this some sort of shitty Microsoft parity clause?
Probably some sort of rushed desperation deal. Microsoft wanted a wider audience and to push the Windows 10 store, and so either rushed Remedy to get a PC version ready or got someone else to do it, and since it was tied down to Windows 10 that probably created new issues.

EDIT: Hopefully with the game done they can focus on fixing up the PC version into being a REAL PC version, or make Microsoft's earlier claims of "never coming to Steam" a complete bluff. Or better yet both, doubly so if it's a technicality that goes "haha the Platinum edition will hit Steam too!"

People have this expectation of how a game performs. Especially due to Nvidia and word of mouth marketing about how a 970 should gaurentee a locked 60 superior experience for every new AAA release since console as so weak and how even mid range PC hardware is SO superior. It creates this expectation and when things don't have a lock at 60fps Ultra for that premium master race experience it's automatically a bad port no matter what state of the art technology is used.

With that are they any reports on how AmD GPUs run besides Fury. Most reports are 970s and 980tis

To be fair, Microsoft's decision to make Alan Wake an X360 exclusive came well after the two had partnered up, and given how long it took to get the sales that it has, I doubt Remedy would have had much luck in finding a different publisher willing to fund another AAA game. Quantum Break likely wouldn't exist if it weren't for MS.

I still remembered when Alan Wake was announced that it would be exclusive to Windows Vista, and it left so many Remedy fans furious because they didn't want to make the jump from Windows XP. But the Vista exclusive port was canned and the game moved over to the Xbox 360 as an exclusive. The PC release in 2012 did give Remedy a second wind with Alan Wake. It is a fantastic port as well.

Why do we have this thread when we have an entire thread dedicated to PC performance?

Don't get me wrong, this shit blows as I planned to play on PC.

The purpose of this thread is to give summary of the PC performance thread for those who can't read the whole thread.

Nothing in particular against you lol, no worries, just a little reaction after a day of quotes like "an early PS3 game had a better quality !" that are getting kinda annoying :p

Yeah, it also happened in the recent FFXV threads, for example. Maybe it's a joke, but it's a bad joke.

Why do we have this thread when we have an entire thread dedicated to PC performance?

Don't get me wrong, this shit blows as I planned to play on PC.

Because people like myself don't always dive into performance threads until they start tweaking.

Had this thread gone up sooner I may not have bought the game but now it's too late. I think this thread is necessary as an announcement like "hey FYI this shit is FUCKED "

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Probably some sort of rushed desperation deal. Microsoft wanted a wider audience and to push the Windows 10 store, and so either rushed Remedy to get a PC version ready or got someone else to do it, and since it was tied down to Windows 10 that probably created new issues.

EDIT: Hopefully with the game done they can focus on fixing up the PC version into being a REAL PC version, or make Microsoft's earlier claims of "never coming to Steam" a complete bluff. Or better yet both, doubly so if it's a technicality that goes "haha the Platinum edition will hit Steam too!"

I completely expect MS to bring its Win10 games to Steam eventually, but as UWAs, not traditional games, which launch through a Win32 version of the Xbox app that acts as a middle man client in a similar vein to Ubi's Uplay games. It's a win-win... sort of: MS' newer games are on Steam (albeit with restrictions inherent to UWP in tow, hence "sort of") but not at the expense of MS being able to push its platform (again, much like Uplay).

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Uncharted 4 faces pale in comparison to Quantum Break's.

Pale in comparison?

No. They are mighty impressive though. That and the lighting/GI are the most impressive things so far.

Hopefully I'll be able to see a cleaned up PC version soon enough.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
It ensures a "premium" experience only goes to XB1 first class gamers or those who pay a very large premium for the privilege.

First class tickets are supposed to be expensive.
Where did ya learn that? You go to PR school? We'll be in touch...

Yeah, it also happened in the recent FFXV threads, for example. Maybe it's a joke, but it's a bad joke.

The comparison are completely off limits indeed, even if I was actually quite mad when I saw the IQ while moving since it is destroying everything that was put on screen, just because of a couple of badly tweaked post-processes such as the TAA and the sharpen.
While not being a FF fan since many years, I was really looking forward to the final result (that is not here yet indeed, but still) since I am quite the CGi/VFX whore (I am not working in this field for no reason lel), but hell, that can be REALLY bad from time to time.

Eusis

I completely expect MS to bring its Win10 games to Steam eventually, but as UWAs, not traditional games, which launch through a Win32 version of the Xbox app that acts as a middle man client in a similar vein to Ubi's Uplay games. It's a win-win... sort of: MS' newer games are on Steam (albeit with restrictions inherent to UWP in tow, hence "sort of") but not at the expense of Microsoft being able to push its platform (again, much like Uplay).
Which will be frustrating if they don't eventually cave in some way on how closed UWP is (or alternatively someone just blows it completely open and they can't do crap.) Ports like this could probably be fixed one way or the other, but as of now it's just lame.

Top Bottom