• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break PC is a mess (non-native render, badly optimized, overpriced, etc)

tuxfool

Banned
Zc9DDBD.jpg
Nice!

Is it time we start begging for MS games to NOT come to PC?

I think so, I haven't played it on PC yet but to see people having trouble with otherwise is a very solid game is pissing me off. These MS are pushing on PC are good games but yet they are being tarnished with this shit. Do they really think these games will sell better because of PC release as well when so far we've only had KI that's been good and that F2P? This will impact sales in a negative way which may hurt the IP in the long run, fucking MS. Sure I have the X1 version, but that doesn't mean the PC version should be shit.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Microsoft is botching these ports on purpose at this point, so it forces people to buy the Xbox One. It was their plan all along guys!

200.gif

aeolist

Banned
What other UWP games have been a shitshow and for what reasons?
ki's game logic is tied to he monitor refresh rate. it's unplayable at anything other than 60hz.

gears has massive performance issues.

minecraft's uwp version doesn't support any minecraft mods.

mosdl

Which will be frustrating if they don't eventually cave in some way on how closed UWP is (or alternatively someone just blows it completely open and they can't do crap.) Ports like this could probably be fixed one way or the other, but as of now it's just lame.

They should release working ports, then UWP would matter way less. Wanting it to be open so that others can fix releases games is just messed up.

prag16

Banned
Still looks blurry for me, especially the hair and the NPC on the background.

Eh. That slight softness makes it look more "real" than it would if it was 100% perfectly sharp (though in other areas that softness is TOO soft... such as with Littlefinger in the background as mentioned.) Still say it's probably the best face I've seen in a game. not just in still form, they did a great job with the animations too.

Kindekuma

Banned
A real damn shame about the performance at launch. I really, really, want to play this game, but I think my money will go to Dark Souls III when that releases instead. I can wait on this game, it just desperately needs performance patches and whatnot.

I won't fund this game as is if that'll encourage devs to keep pushing out games in this sort of state.

Yeah the UWP games have been total shitshows, you'd think Microsoft would care considering they're the ambassadors to UWP for pc gamers but nope apparently not.
So far Microsoft has shown they care exactly as much about PC gaming as they have in the past. Which is next to none.

I was right there with Spencer when he was talking up Uncharted 4, and responding to fans about wishing games to fail on other platforms. But Phil... You screwed yourself here.

Terrible first impressions. Probably never going to try UWP if even Remedy can't get it right.

Eusis

They should release working ports, then UWP would matter way less. Wanting it to be open so that others can fix releases games is just messed up.
In an ideal world every game would work great and flawlessly and we'd have a setup for every game to allow whatever mods we'd want without opening the door to potential piracy.

Realistically however? Someone's going to shit the bed and it'd be nice if someone else were allowed to clean it up just in case. And this doesn't even touch possible issues decades or even just a few years later.

welcome to the app based future

don't worry i'm sure they'll get mods working once they can charge for them

Right, I kinda forgot about UWP not supporting mods.

Those wishing remedy to port this game to steam...isn't the IP owned by Microsoft?

Well, they have games like Halo Assault and Age of Empires on Steam, and Ori.
Maybe later, way later, I guess.

At this rate I'm never buying a game from Microsoft Store. Such a trainwreck.

Wonder what Phil has to say about this.

He'll make a great speech, as usual.

shandy706

Shame about the PC build, hopefully they can remedy it.

The game is absolutely awesome and deserves a proper port.

I would have thought PC ports would be easy for them. I guess not, what a shame.

I still stand by the idea that it's not even a "port" like we're use to. I think it's a last second Xbox One to PC conversion using Microsoft's UWP software that turns games into Apps (that's a very not technical description of it..lol). A proper port would need much longer.

Right, I kinda forgot about UWP not supporting mods.

Well, they have games like Halo Assault and Age of Empires on Steam, and Ori.
Maybe later, way later, I guess.

He'll make a great speech, as usual.

They'll be on steam of UWP/UWA continue to seem to be shit for games and they aren't selling any digital copies.

I still don't know who to blame as I feel it can't be all of UWP/UWA for the performance of this game looking at other games.

Didn't the first Assassin's Creed PC port also not have a quit option? I seem to remember that. Let's hope someone at Microsoft / Remedy are working on a patch. I don't have an Xbox One anymore so I'll give them a chance to sort things out before I think about ordering Quantum Break PC..

Schnauzer

I noticed people keep saying that Killer Instinct is the only good Microsoft port.

I want to remind everyone that Killer Instinct is the only DX11 port. It's not a DX12 like the other ports.

It does seem like an extremely rushed pc port unfortunately, and it was announced relatively recently too. Let's hope the next big Win 10 game fares a lot better, eh?

Axial

Temporal reconstruction my ass. They can call i whatever they want, but based on the quality of some these screenshots, even the supersampled ones and how blurry everything looks, it seems like the PC version might as well be running at a lower native resolution upscaled with postfx.
I don't know what's worse, someone over at M$ thinking this would be a good idea or the people still defending this crap and M$'s strategy in regards to games on UWP.
thisisbullshit.gif not immediately posted? You're slipping, GAF.
Should've posted one with matching dithering artifacts... complete the cycle!

epmode

I still don't know who to blame as I feel it can't be all of UWP/UWA for the performance of this game looking at other games.

It's not UWP's fault, obviously. These are rushed and/or underfunded ports. UWP compounds the issue because it means that the community can't provide fixes.

Tohsaka

I'm glad I didn't bother "upgrading" to Windows 10 just for this like I was planning to. I'll stick with 8.1 for now until shit is sorted out.

Top Bottom