• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Queen Elizabeth II has passed away

Jinzo Prime

Pale white shut-ins sipping their soy milk lattes thinking they're king of their studio apartment by calling her a colonizer on a forum no one takes seriously anymore.
Just remember, at the end she made to 96 years of age, presided over a historical transformation of the world after WWII, Has a strong line to succeed her, and her passing has left millions grieving all over the world. She won.

Last edited:

Raven117

Bingo.

It's less about the person, and more what they represent. The weight of history and time, encapsulated in a human being. The anthropomorphic personification of a national identity, steeped in battle, ceremony, pomp, circumstance, honour and service. In many ways, the Queen was one of the last things that connected modern Britain to that idealised past.
I’m not even British, but anyone with half a brain can understand this. (Ie, not ResetEra, those people are vile). You post was well said Funk.

The monarch worked for the British. Queen Elizabeth was a steadfast symbolic ruler dedicated to duty and service…. Words rarely used to define any public figure nowadays. The monarchy will change….

Curious to see what King Charles does. He has waited a long long time for this.

Then of course a true torch pass to William.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I’m not even British, but anyone with half a brain can understand this. (Ie, not ResetEra, those people are vile). You post was well said Funk.

The monarch worked for the British. Queen Elizabeth was a steadfast symbolic ruler dedicated to duty and service…. Words rarely used to define any public figure nowadays. The monarchy will change….

People these days don't understand what "duty and service" mean. It's all about them.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Curious as to what he does as well. If he were smart he would quietly abdicate and allow William to take over.

The PR for a large expensive coronation ceremony in the middle of hard times in the UK for an old man who can at best be described as "divisive" among the public would be awful.

If it was William I think that pill would be an easier swallow or even bypassed entirely depending on what William decided.

Raven117

Curious as to what he does as well. If he were smart he would quietly abdicate and allow William to take over.

The PR for a large expensive coronation ceremony in the middle of hard times in the UK for an old man who can at best be described as "divisive" among the public would be awful.

If it was William I think that pill would be an easier swallow or even bypassed entirely depending on what William decided.
Yeah, but Charles has been waiting a very long time for this. He has to have a few things in mind he wants to do as King (or he would do as you suggest).

Wonder if it’s to “modernize” the Royals?

Who knows, but it’s kinda interesting in a antique kinda way.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Yeah, but Charles has been waiting a very long time for this. He has to have a few things in mind he wants to do as King (or he would do as you suggest).

Wonder if it’s to “modernize” the Royals?

Who knows, but it’s kinda interesting in a antique kinda way.
Yeah it is. If there is a coronation I will be watching. It's something from a bygone age that nobody sees anymore.

And the English coronation ceremony in particular is pretty neat.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
wyPiFvB.png

Jsisto

Oh fuck all these entitled assholes posting about colonialism on their smartphones made with slave labor. The height of hypocrisy and ignorance. What a life shes lived. It’s okay to not really care about her passing, but at least stop and recognize the historical significance of it.

Bragr

Banned
I had to close twitter man. 80% of the posts are just memes about her death. Everyone honestly thinks she colonized half the planet and supported the nazis because she attented some nazi event before the war when she was a kid or something, it's so dumb I can't fathom what is going on.

I am starting to cheer on global warming, just scorch the Earth, get it over it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Just chatting to the Mrs, lets face it the royal family dropped a few bollocks in my life time but i tell you what whose family hasn't?
Your family isn't paid to not be fuck-ups though. From the new king wanting to be a Camillas tampon, to the whole Epstein stuff they are taking the piss.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Not sure why people would say "good riddance" and yell its a good thing she died, and actually laugh at the situation. Fuck Era. I wonder if it's because these morons feel its empowering to go against the tide, and wishing harmful thoughts against ANYONE powerful/famous/rich makes them the good guys? Is that just for being "edgy"?
Yea, it's just edgy teens with no nuance, ie "fuck the power" -- Let them learn.

Raven117

Yeah it is. If there is a coronation I will be watching. It's something from a bygone age that nobody sees anymore.

And the English coronation ceremony in particular is pretty neat.
Same. And like it or not, Americans have a relationship with the monarchy of Britain.

But you nailed it, at the very least, it’s not something you see everyday. An event from a history long rolled past.

Winter John

Gold Member
That's a shame. She seemed like a nice old lady. You have to figure she hung on for 70 years because she knew she was pretty much the end of the line as far as the monarchy goes.

belmarduk

Just remember, at the end she made to 96 years of age, presided over a historical transformation of the world after WWII, Has a strong line to succeed her, and her passing has left millions grieving all over the world. She won.

I wonder how many of them will make it to 96?

Anyway... they just aren't good people. You shouldn't celebrate anyone's death. It was a mistake to visit that forum today.

I wonder how many of them will make it to 96?

Anyway... they just aren't good people. You shouldn't celebrate anyone's death. It was a mistake to visit that forum today.
They are just lost. Completely fucking stupid brain dead animals.
Now if its a character from the hit videogame series Final Fantasy XIV that passed away you can bet they will be crying for 2 weeks

Last edited:

belmarduk

Now if its a character from the hit videogame series Final Fantasy XIV that passed away you can bet they will be crying for 2 weeks

The Queen meant a lot to very many people. By nearly all accounts, she was a very kind person who was well-known for her graciousness and respect for others. She is in no way to blame for colonialism (which basically ended during her reign... so what are you losers talking about?)

People should be more like Queen Elizabeth and less like the idiots on ResetEra.

Meicyn

Gold Member
They’re the digital equivalent of Westboro Baptist Church picketing funerals with “God Hates Fags” signs. The comedy is that at least the Phelps-Roper family was self-aware enough to know they were being assholes.

In the meantime, I’m sure someone in that group is creating yet another new account to publish one more “NEW PLAYER HERE I LITERALLY CRIED WHEN MOENBRYDA DIED” on the FFXIV subreddit to rake in their weekly fix of internet approval.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
They’re the digital equivalent of Westboro Baptist Church picketing funerals with “God Hates Fags” signs. The comedy is that at least the Phelps-Roper family was self-aware enough to know they were being assholes.

In the meantime, I’m sure someone in that group is creating yet another new account to publish one more “NEW PLAYER HERE I LITERALLY CRIED WHEN MOENBRYDA DIED” on the FFXIV subreddit to rake in their weekly fix of internet approval.

Moenbryda sounds like something you get from swimming in pond water or something.

Toons

And we let it be. Hell, some even cheer it on.

Well, duty and service were used for a lot of bad things. The word has been corrupted with harmful ideologies and suppression of individualism.

But I dont think that applies here.. I think the queen left a respectable if flawed legacy. Certainly cleaner than most of her generation, and that is enough.

This wierd spite people have for her seems shallow at best. But in an age of hot takes and instant gratification I prefer to assume.not much thought was out into it anyway.

I personally am not largely affected by her passing, she lived a good long and eventful life. Now she can rest in peace. Not much more needs to be said, really. Courtesy and respect is always better than the alternative if it is earned.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

So I got curious and thought you guys might be exaggerating about RE - took a look inside that thread.

Holy shit.

TikTokers cannot educate themselves for 5 minutes and read that she was a political figurehead? Even the speech to the parliament she reads is not her own , she has no control over the contents.

People are blaming her for some colonising shit before she was even queen?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
It’s gonna be kind of weird King Charles’ first Christmas speech because all I’ve known for all my days, was the Queens.

Money has to change, post boxes, jam jars lol. Basically anything with ‘by appointment to Her Majesty…’ written on it has to change, anything with ER on has to change, passports too.

I don’t mean everything becomes invalid overnight but all new money printed from today onwards etc. stamps.

As an American looking in, sure, the Royals live in luxury their entire lives, but goddamn they can't shit the wrong way without an army of muckrakers having something to say about it. Too much of a guilded cage for my tastes.

Raven117

Well, duty and service were used for a lot of bad things. The word has been corrupted with harmful ideologies and suppression of individualism.

But I dont think that applies here.. I think the queen left a respectable if flawed legacy. Certainly cleaner than most of her generation, and that is enough.

This wierd spite people have for her seems shallow at best. But in an age of hot takes and instant gratification I prefer to assume.not much thought was out into it anyway.

I personally am not largely affected by her passing, she lived a good long and eventful life. Now she can rest in peace. Not much more needs to be said, really. Courtesy and respect is always better than the alternative if it is earned.
For sure those words have been used for ill, but there is a line to be drawn between just rampant “individualism” and “duty.” It’s a balance. One we have lost sight of.

Im not personally effected either, but I can certainly respect what she meant to a country. A personification of the ideals of a country. Someone who symbolically led a country through an incredible 70 years. Someone who made mistakes. Learned through them. Did it with dignity and respect.

Say what you want about a monarch, but as a person and a person who was in that position, she marks a passing of an age.

Yoboman

Monarchies are trash. There is a reason we got rid of them across the world

She was a good mascot and seemed like a sweet old lady

But I hope my country moves on to become a Republic now

Go_Ly_Dow

Monarchies are trash. There is a reason we got rid of them across the world

She was a good mascot and seemed like a sweet old lady

But I hope my country moves on to become a Republic now

No thanks. A modern monarchy as we have here in a parlimentary system works, one that has been interegrated into our systems of democracy. Representing a living continuity between past, present and the future, whilst serving as distinct symbol of national identity. A big part of Britain's rise over the past few hundred years was that the wider populace had a noble ideal to aspire to that wasn't completely savagery, which is far better of an ideal than any deconstructionist has for society.

Proposals like yours lack any sort of historical consciousness.

Last edited:

Yoboman

No thanks. A modern monarchy as we have here in a parlimentary system works, one that has been interegrated into our systems of democracy. Representing a living continuity between past, present and the future, whilst serving as distinct symbol of national identity. A big part of Britain's rise over the past few hundred years was that the wider populace had a noble ideal to aspire to that wasn't completely savagery, which is far better of an ideal that any deconstructionist has for society.

Proposals like yours lack any sort of historical consciousness.
I'm talking about Australia. Could care less what Britain wants to do

Dr.D00p

I'm talking about Australia.

Amazing how so many modern Australians, usually of 1st and 2nd generation immigrant stock, want to ditch the Monarchy for a Republic, a system of Government that so many of their parents/Grand Parents left their countries of origin for because things were so shit under it and Australia seemed like the promised land....

Top Bottom