• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Queen Elizabeth II has passed away

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
So I got curious and thought you guys might be exaggerating about RE - took a look inside that thread.

Holy shit.

TikTokers cannot educate themselves for 5 minutes and read that she was a political figurehead? Even the speech to the parliament she reads is not her own , she has no control over the contents.

People are blaming her for some colonising shit before she was even queen?

Isn't it amazing how abuse towards an old lady, now dead is acceptable and permitted but say anything remotely critical of a man that decides to tuck his knob between his legs and call himself Danielle, is completely beyond acceptable behavior and will get you an immediate ban.

Almost worth launching a crowd funder to pay someone to DDOS attack the site out of existence.

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

To some people maybe. RIP to her but let's not pretend everything she stood for and represents was good.
The Office Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Yoboman

Amazing how so many modern Australians, usually of 1st and 2nd generation immigrant stock, want to ditch the Monarchy for a Republic, a system of Government that so many of their parents/Grand Parents left their countries of origin for because things were so shit under it and Australia seemed like the promised land....
Things were stable under Lizzy seeing how hands off she was around and hands off but the concept of the head of state being the King or Queen of England is unnecessary. Most Aussies do not think that way when we elect a PM every few years. And just introduces an unnecessary risk that such a monarch could overturn our elections. If the crown decides they want to get involved there's not a lot stopping them.

Ogbert

Motivated by all the mentiones here I paid a visit to era, and christ it's enough to make you lose faith in humanity. What the hell is wrong with those people?`And the mods? Just leaving it be because "understandably people feel differently about this" ffs. Have some bloody dignity.
They are thick.

Poorly educated, boring fools who do not have a single original or interesting idea amongst the hive mind.

Ogbert

Things were stable under Lizzy seeing how hands off she was around and hands off but the concept of the head of state being the King or Queen of England is unnecessary. Most Aussies do not think that way when we elect a PM every few years. And just introduces an unnecessary risk that such a monarch could overturn our elections. If the crown decides they want to get involved there's not a lot stopping them.
And who stops the government if they decide to overturn an election?

Kerotan

I feel like people keep saying vague stuff like this without actually backing it up. Could you be more specific?
My post being specific was deleted so what do you expect me to do lol. Anyway it's obvious I can't discuss so PM me if you care.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I can't believe that at this historic moment, a period of national mourning, they still won't let us know whether or not we're all getting a day off.

Sybrix

Been watching all the various media outlets announcing the Queens death, i think LBC one is the most emotional:

Here's what played out on all radio stations:

Last edited:

Star-Lord

I wasn't, and still am not, a huge supporter of the royal family, but even I can recognise what she did for our nation. She was a national treasure and will be sadly missed.

It's just a shame that we have old cunty Charles as our monarch now.

Trolls were leaving disrespectful comments about her on some sites as well.

Pretty shallow to mock a person after they have died, eh?

Humans make mistakes, but they're still a person.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
They are thick.

Poorly educated, boring fools who do not have a single original or interesting idea amongst the hive mind.
They’re not allowed to. Heaven forbid that you are free thinker or question authority. It’s so 1984 there. Thought police.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Probably been posted, but it's a funny story:

There was a similar one where apparently another tourist said to her that she looked just like the Queen to which she replied 'that is very reassuring, thank you'

EDIT: Apologies - full story:-

Artist Juliet Pannett recalled another hilarious case of misidentification. When she was painting a portrait of Queen Elizabeth, the monarch told her about a funny run-in she had while out buying groceries. "In one of her stories, she told us she had been at Sandringham one day," Pannett said. "They were having tea when they ran out of cake. So, the queen said she had gone down to the local shop to buy some, wearing a head scarf. As she came out of the shop, an elderly lady said, 'Good heavens, you look just like the queen.' She replied 'How reassuring' and just kept walking. It was a wonderful tale."

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I wasn't, and still am not, a huge supporter of the royal family, but even I can recognise what she did for our nation. She was a national treasure and will be sadly missed.

It's just a shame that we have old cunty Charles as our monarch now.

People are quite harsh on Charles, and for good reason he married Diana to produce heirs rather than the women he loved who was unfortunately unable to produce children.

After the aftermath of Diana his name was tarnished pretty much from then. However since the 70's he has consistantly brought up environmental issues, and no matter how ridiculed he was at the time kept going, now people are actively asking why more has not been done while this man has campaigned for decades on this very subject while under intense consistant mockery.

He founded the Princes trust which I'm not going to lie is one of the big things that made me respect the man. Honestly it's surprising how many things that are required right now Charles had the foresight to set up decades ago.

I'm no royalist but I do think people are overly harsh on Charles, for a bunch of rich ponces they do a good bit of good behind the scenes if you go looking for it.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Just wanted to post this for those wondering how Charles speaks.

This speech is 52 years old now, think about public figures who said this even 20 years ago they where laughed at. Now how accurate it is still today, and he's not laughing he's just disappointed.

And people only talk about the campaigning of Diana, in many ways I think Charles rubbed off on Diana (as well as inside, hence the marriage) her activism kicked off during and after the marriage.

However he has been consistant for half a century with this and I hardly see him stopping as King.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Let us at least appreciate everything she has done for the world and the UK. This is about her death not the monarchy and how people despise it.

Here are some facts about her life:
  • In WW2 the Queen joined an all-female auxiliary territorial service and trained as a mechanic, even though this wasn't a front line role, 335 ATS supports were killed.
  • She was solely responsible with raising the profile of the UK while managing the decline and the dissolution of the empire. Today there are 54. That means that Queen Elizabeth oversaw a process in which practically the entire British Empire transformed into a voluntary association of sovereign nations.
  • In 1961, she visited the former British colony of Ghana, which had gained independence just a few years earlier in 1957. During that trip, a charm offensive in one of the first members of the Commonwealth, she was filmed dancing with the country’s leader, Kwame Nkrumah, at a time when segregation still existed in the U.S.
  • Queen Elizabeth had traditional values that were instilled in her upon her inception, that meant no political and public discourse about controversial subjects and mourning the death of Diana the royal way, which meant staying silent and out of public view for a few days in a time where people wanted more public appearances.
  • she supported more than 600 charities in Britain (the royal family as a whole officially supports nearly 3,000 charities around the world). The queen was responsible at least in part for raising an eye-popping £1.4 billion (close to $2 billion). The queen made it a special focus of her life to help reduce poverty.
And that's just some of the highlights, there are many examples in this thread.

Nobody is perfect but she had a tremendous impact on many peoples lives.

VN1X

Banned
Let us at least appreciate everything she has done for the world and the UK. This is about her death not the monarchy and how people despise it.

Here are some facts about her life:
  • In WW2 the Queen joined an all-female auxiliary territorial service and trained as a mechanic, even though this wasn't a front line role, 335 ATS supports were killed.
  • She was solely responsible with raising the profile of the UK while managing the decline and the dissolution of the empire. Today there are 54. That means that Queen Elizabeth oversaw a process in which practically the entire British Empire transformed into a voluntary association of sovereign nations.
  • In 1961, she visited the former British colony of Ghana, which had gained independence just a few years earlier in 1957. During that trip, a charm offensive in one of the first members of the Commonwealth, she was filmed dancing with the country’s leader, Kwame Nkrumah, at a time when segregation still existed in the U.S.
  • Queen Elizabeth had traditional values that were instilled in her upon her inception, that meant no political and public discourse about controversial subjects and mourning the death of Diana the royal way, which meant staying silent and out of public view for a few days in a time where people wanted more public appearances.
  • she supported more than 600 charities in Britain (the royal family as a whole officially supports nearly 3,000 charities around the world). The queen was responsible at least in part for raising an eye-popping £1.4 billion (close to $2 billion). The queen made it a special focus of her life to help reduce poverty.
And that's just some of the highlights, there are many examples in this thread.

Nobody is perfect but she had a tremendous impact on many peoples lives.
Now in death she carries on that legacy:

unknown.png

*wipes away tear*

I always respected the queen but I was by no means a staunch monarchist. I've tried thinking of words to say how exactly how I feel but I can't find them so might ramble. These first 24 hours or so of a post Elizabethan era feel extremely strange. She was loved across the world by many but I don't think you can truly understand what she was unless you were from the UK. Throughout everything of the last 70 years and perhaps even the last 80-85 years she has been there to reassure, comfort, and give strength to us. As a child she made a speech to the children of WW2 who were being separated from their families and only just a couple years ago as a result of COVID/lockdowns she spoke to everyone about how we would meet our friends and family again. That helped give people strength as they struggled with loneliness, anxiety, depression.

I would say that you don't really feel history being made but the last couple years we have all felt it with COVID and war. The death of the Queen is an almost violent turning of the wheel. We can take comfort in that this is a new beginning and we should be hopeful of the future but it still a very strange and scary time. Few people are alive that saw or remember when she became Queen. It will take a long time to adjust and for it to sink in.

Thank you for serving these old islands, your majesty, Elizabeth the Great. May you rest in peace and rise in grace.

Last edited:

///PATRIOT

Banned
I have a question to our Brit mates:
The Queen was an amazing leader. Humble, serious, she opened her mouth when needed, not to say dumbshit. Basically, she was not like the 90% of politician leaders(clowns)
But How well does the new king measure up to the former Queen?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I have a question to our Brit mates:
The Queen was an amazing leader. Humble, serious, she opened her mouth when needed, not to say dumbshit. Basically, she was not like the 90% of politician leaders(clowns)
But How well does the new king measure up to the former Queen?
He has to keep his gob shut now and keep out of politics / world events etc like his mother did.

Fear is (not from me) that William will now become his mouthpiece.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Just wanted to post this for those wondering how Charles speaks.

This speech is 52 years old now, think about public figures who said this even 20 years ago they where laughed at. Now how accurate it is still today, and he's not laughing he's just disappointed.

And people only talk about the campaigning of Diana, in many ways I think Charles rubbed off on Diana (as well as inside, hence the marriage) her activism kicked off during and after the marriage.

However he has been consistant for half a century with this and I hardly see him stopping as King.

He gets a lot of shit, but obviously they were both unhappy in the marriage. People forget Diana had psychotic accidents and depressive episodes, and I think Charles and the family was totally unprepared for how to deal with it.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

The King’s speech was extremely good. Excellent words, timbre and tone. With the shaking of hands with the crowd earlier and this, he’s starting his reign well. Hopefully it will be the making of him. His mother certainly set him up for it.

He should side step and make prince william king, absolute dumb to go for it at 70 years old.

He should side step and make prince william king, absolute dumb to go for it at 70 years old.
No way he'd do it. He's "only" 73. If he lives as long as the Queen he will reign for another 23 years. His mum lived to 96, his dad lived to 99, his grandmother to 101 so we can expect a long life from King Charles. Queen Elizabeth was extraordinary with such a long reign. A lot of kings and queens of britain only got about 6-10 years. The only ones who even come close to Queen Elizabeth II are Victoria (63 years) and George III (59 years). After that it's 33, 25, and 15 years.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Right? His children are at a developing age. I'm willing to be that he rather watch his children grow up to their 20's than be a king in that period.

Nobody should have to take on the role of a monarch when they are young. It rarely works out well. In fact Elizabeth was probably one of the only ones who handled it. I don’t think people realise just how demanding a role it actually is.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
He has to keep his gob shut now and keep out of politics / world events etc like his mother did.

Fear is (not from me) that William will now become his mouthpiece.

It should probably be noted that the Queen kept out of politics and world events publically. In private, she had many opinions, and had great influence on the actions of some of her prime ministers. I fully expect Charles to be the same. He’ll retain her level of public silence, but I fully expect him to use his position to forward his own beliefs in private.

Top Bottom