• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time - The Official Thread

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
nskinnear said:
Aw man, I missed it :(

Thanks anyway.

U didn't miss much. It turns out the preview code was more of a "demo preview code" as it lasted less than an hour. It did still allow me to check some stuff tho.

Clank-focused sections are now immensely more enjoyable than in previous iterations. This is for three main reasons.
1st, you can now do triple jumps hence platforming is much more enjoyable.
2nd, the time based puzzles are actually pretty genius and a joy to figure the solution out.
3rd, Clank is more combat ready thanks to his "time-staff" and the ability to slow enemy down using the slow-time bubble. (sorry for the custom terminology but I don't recall the actual names).

There was also a very cool level taking place in Clank "subconscious" with a nice effect going on on his floating platforms. Basically, each platform is made of a waving grid of cubes which linie up flat under Clank feet as he walks around. Hard to describe, but very cool to see.

Ratchet sections play out as you would expect them to, and those I went through in the demo (which covers the very beginning of the game) were very action packed with a nice amount of platform sections and wrench-based environment interaction.

And then there is the whole space combat thing. I have to say I wasn't too excited about the idea of being locked to just the horizontal plane, but in practice it works very well. Since you don't have to bother with Y axis, acceleration/deceleration and left&right rotation is all mapped to the left analogue stick (up and down to accelerate and decelerate) letting you do evading manouvers with the right stick (a la Warhawk with default flight controls). You can shoot cannons and homng missiles with R1 and L1 respectively while a radar in the corner keeps track of enemy position as well as moons and other stuff you can visit. I only did a couple of spherical levels which where pretty simple but quite a feat to behold thanks to the awesome space environment rotating around you as you go.

All in all, it all felt very "dense" gameplay-wise despite being the very beginning of the game, kinda like Quest For Booty was but with the prospect of a much larger game awaiting to be explored.

The only thing that had me disappointed is the frame rate. It NEVER kept 60fps. Actually, it was 30fps most of the time. Whenever there was some shooting action going on, frame rate simply dropped to 30fps. Since there was a lot of combat going on in these early portions of the game, average frame rate was closer to 30fps than 60fps. I hope this is all due to the code being old cos it honestly wouldn't make much sense to keep pushing for 60fps when most of the time you are looking at 30fps action anyway. At times it's really jarring to rotate the camera around and see it fluctuating as soon as some complexity comes into view.

Short version: great stuff, but fix the frame rate.

Edit- Forgot to add that the new smoke effects are as awesome as they look like in the "bullshots".

Dizzan

MINI Member
brandonh83 said:
Played the demo today at Gamestop. Had no idea about it either until I saw it. I shat. And then I played it. And shat again.

Impressions please. I have to wait til November for this here in Australia. I think I'll import.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
brandonh83 said:
Played the demo today at Gamestop. Had no idea about it either until I saw it. I shat. And then I played it. And shat again.
mhmhmhm and thats good ?

Lince

Banned
TTP said:
The only thing that had me disappointed is the frame rate. It NEVER kept 60fps. Actually, it was 30fps most of the time. Whenever there was some shooting action going on, frame rate simply dropped to 30fps. Since there was a lot of combat going on in these early portions of the game, average frame rate was closer to 30fps than 60fps. I hope this is all due to the code being old cos it honestly wouldn't make much sense to keep pushing for 60fps when most of the time you are looking at 30fps action anyway. At times it's really jarring to rotate the camera around and see it fluctuating as soon as some complexity comes into view.

basically the same shit that plagued Quest for Booty... if they can't lock 60 fps I wouldn't mind a silky smooth 30 fps R&C with improved textures and lighting.

Yes people, they were very positive shattings. I honestly don't have a lot to say about it, I played around 5 minutes or something and these two guys were watching me play and they kept asking me a bunch of stupid questions and each other a bunch of stupid questions.

"Is this the sixth or seventh one?"
"Yeah."

"Wasn't the first one on PS1?"
"Yeah."

So between my short playtime and these two clowns annoying the piss out of me, I didn't really get to focus on it that well; that and I kept getting the feeling that they were inadvertently trying to pry me away from it so I felt pressured. But I mean, it's Ratchet and Clank. Just a bit prettier. This is a good thing IMO.

TTP said:

Well I was going to buy this but unless they lock the framerate...

I've never played an Insomniac game with framerate problems so I still have hope.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Did anyone watch the Gamespot special? I didnt want to ruin anything so I stayed away. I wish it wasnt delayed in Oz but I am going to import from US and I should be finished Uncharted by then.

JB1981

The Ratchet and Clank space maybe the best HOME space out there. I enjoyed it. And the club song they have playing in there was damn good. Anyone know the name?

TTP: your framerate impressions have me worried. :(

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
JB1981 said:
The Ratchet and Clank space maybe the best HOME space out there. I enjoyed it. And the club song they have playing in there was damn good. Anyone know the name?

TTP: your framerate impressions have me worried. :(

The guy from GT quoted the framerate as one of the best things on the game, smooth even with lots of stuff going on in the screen.
(Though he says that the game looks almost the same as ToD)

nskinnear said:
Here's a preview from GT's Invisible Walls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfxyBXQ_5qw

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Clank runs FAST this time :O

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
dragonflys545 said:
WOW!!!! Graphics are at the same level as uncharted 2 in my opinion.
Cutscenes are out of question, gameplay graphics could be discussed. But yeah, looks ridiculous. The lighting is so much improved over ToD.

Fersis

Seiken said:
Cutscenes are out of question, gameplay graphics could be discussed. But yeah, looks ridiculous. The lighting is so much improved over ToD.
:/

Im not going to watch that 12 minutes but what does that Community option on the main menu does?

Yoshichan

Oh well, had to stop watching when Ratchet gameplay started. Sigh, this is going to be soooo good.

Yoshichan

Ooooooh, not automated weapon leveling up system anymore :O

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Seiken said:
Oh well, had to stop watching when Ratchet gameplay started. Sigh, this is going to be soooo good.
They literally only showed a couple of minutes of Ratchet gameplay. The rest of the video is viewer questions, so it's safe to watch the rest if you wanted to.

Yoshichan

Catalix said:
They literally only showed a couple of minutes of Ratchet gameplay. The rest of the video is viewer questions, so it's safe to watch the rest if you wanted to.
Got it! Will do now :D Thanks!

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
It's a subtle improvement, but I like the way Ratchet looks when he double jumps.

It's quicker, and I think he gets a little extra height, compared to the old games. I guess that's to compensate for lack of Clank.

Can't wait to try out the hover boots! They look like a lot of fun to mess around with.

Catalix

It surprises me a bit how divergent in quality the writing in Insomniac's two franchises are. The ratchet games have funny writing and the personality of the characters suits the dialogues they say. Captain Qwark and Dr. Nefarious are good examples of pitch-perfect writing.

Somehow, this talent doesnt translate to the Resistance universe. I dont know whether its because its a little more 'realistic' or because they havent had half a dozen releases to hone their writing for that universe.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I don't know SHIT about this game. And I love it.

With that said, will I be clear if I haven't played Quest For Booty?

Yoshichan

Black_Ice said:

Yes.

TripOpt55

I'm so excited for this. I should be getting this on Day 1. One of my all-tme favorite series. Nice work on the thread by the way. I did get to try the Krell Canyon demo on a kiosk at Best Buy. Pretty fun stuff. I like the Sonic Eruptor a lot and the hover boots seem like a cool addition.

Black_Ice said:

You should try to get a play in of Q4B. It's got fantastic platforming, looks beautiful, and story moves along briskly. You won't be left out of the narrative if you don't, but Q4B is a great download. It's on sale at Amazon (US site) for $10 or you could try gamesharing with someone.

Ratchet's always a blind purchase for me. I love the series.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Black_Ice said:

We recap things.

And folks shouldn't worry about framerate issues if TTP is going from the preview build. That was well before final optimization.

I've probably asked this before, but will a cleared Tools of Destruction save unlock anything in A Crack in Time? I lost my save when my old ps3 died, have been considering playing through ToD and Q4B again before Crack in Time comes out, and that'd absolutely cement it for me.

Fersis

jstevenson said:
We recap things.

And folks shouldn't worry about framerate issues if TTP is going from the preview build. That was well before final optimization.
Yeah, ive seen gameplay videos and they are all smooth.

JS whats the deal with the Community option on the main menu? I havent read anything about that :/

Top Bottom