• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resetera reflects: This place sucks. We want GAF back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The issue is....how would such person meet other people to form relationships....have we progressed from giving a flower or a note or flirty gesture to someone of the opposite sex as a romantic gesture or courtship to they are a sexual predator because I didn't ask for this???

Is society that fucked now???

Today you swipe to the right bro.

This actually is a thing I've been giving some thought to in recent times and it does bother me that we've basically dehumanised human relationships with this stuff and created a space where the only way people can get together is via an app, which tends to lead to a loss of serendipity, more tendency to date people that meet your 'criteria' rather than trying out new and different people to see what works for you.

When I was younger I dated all sorts of different women, all very different to each other, I've dated pretty much every race going, upper class, middle class, working class, but with apps I get the feeling I'd not have experienced any of that, and it saddens me that young people are missing out in this way.

God Enel

@hariseldon

I agree with you and think often times about stuff like that as well. Though i think it’s a double edged sword. For some people dating apps are pretty good as they’re shy or whatsoever to talk to another man/woman(/transpeople?!?) they don’t know. In other regards they’re kinda damaging. I have a friend who found his girlfriend on Tinder - he swiped right - I found mine while on a boat trip during my holidays via just asking her what she’s up to.
So there are basically multiple ways to skin a cat. I personally prefer the first one. I want to see the person I am interested in. Facial expressions body language and all are part of finding a person that is suitable for me. Not just a picture where a woman is looking beautiful. That’s not doing it for me.

What bothers me more is the dependency on smartphone and social media. I think especially the youth will have more and more trouble with their dependency on this shit, because they’re basically living two life’s. The online one and the real one and they’re more and more blending into one another; or the latter one is strengthening while the first one is losing. Though That’s a thread on its own.

My opinion though is that humanity isn’t ready for social media and does not know how to handle it. That could be a factor for the more extreme tendencies we have today. Be it in politics, in dating (the things you mentioned here, everything is rape/predatory/assault.. or the best example the way evilore was handled here) or in confrontations (more violent). the ‘either you or me’ mentality is waaay more drastic nowadays, like it is online. and “they” (all of us?) are transferring it to real life. Maybe it is the cause of it? Maybe I’m a lunatic and over analyzing shit. Or maybe I’m getting old and grumpy. The truth lies somewhere in between. 😌
Hope I didn’t derail too much.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Might make a fun off-topic thread.. hmm I might go and make that later today if I get bored enough to write a proper post on the topic.

Might make a fun off-topic thread.. hmm I might go and make that later today if I get bored enough to write a proper post on the topic.
Its certainly a good topic...I was born in a time before social media and apps so wooing a girl was actually a face to face thing and you could actually cold call a girl if you had a silver tongue like I did back then....in todays age you would probably get live facetimed as a pervert and would be hunted on social media as a sex pest all because you commented on how pretty a girl looks.

zenspider

Are we the rebound chick? I see lots of members coming back after thier banned there.

I was juggling;)

People got hostile here when anyone sought any gray area during "The Incident" (mostly folks who committed sucide-by-virtue signaling I imagine), and this place was basically React-to-ERA during the asylum's honeymoon phase. After listening to Waypoint's podcast (of all places) about it, I really came away thinking, if nothing else, we need more tools to find and talk about gray, messy areas, not less.

The exodus, as it was framed, had a lot of the pre-Incident toxicity on GAF as being left behind, and for a while I bought it.

E3 this year was when it seemed everyone started feeling cozy on resetera enough to get nasty in Gaming, and go from being a bit sanctimonious to straight toxic. Political discussions may have always been that way, but I only joined politicized "conversations" in gaming to, as they say "only ask questions" - aka alt-right white supremacy.

Now I know that reason, logic, and doubt are tools of the patriarchy to oppress those without power apparently, and I can only hope to be banned there while my mind is still clean.

...is what I will say when they open up the intersectionality "reprogramming" camps.

Last edited:

It's particularly bad with the Gay community (Grindr is now the only outlet, bars are nearly deserted or filled with straight people) and it's something I intend to address in my LGBT thread soon.

There are solutions for both sides, imo. But it takes a little discipline and forethought. These tools can be used for good, and CAN streamline the process.

Dthomp

@hariseldon

I agree with you and think often times about stuff like that as well. Though i think it’s a double edged sword. For some people dating apps are pretty good as they’re shy or whatsoever to talk to another man/woman(/transpeople?!?) they don’t know. In other regards they’re kinda damaging. I have a friend who found his girlfriend on Tinder - he swiped right - I found mine while on a boat trip during my holidays via just asking her what she’s up to.
So there are basically multiple ways to skin a cat. I personally prefer the first one. I want to see the person I am interested in. Facial expressions body language and all are part of finding a person that is suitable for me. Not just a picture where a woman is looking beautiful. That’s not doing it for me.

What bothers me more is the dependency on smartphone and social media. I think especially the youth will have more and more trouble with their dependency on this shit, because they’re basically living two life’s. The online one and the real one and they’re more and more blending into one another; or the latter one is strengthening while the first one is losing. Though That’s a thread on its own.

My opinion though is that humanity isn’t ready for social media and does not know how to handle it. That could be a factor for the more extreme tendencies we have today. Be it in politics, in dating (the things you mentioned here, everything is rape/predatory/assault.. or the best example the way evilore was handled here) or in confrontations (more violent). the ‘either you or me’ mentality is waaay more drastic nowadays, like it is online. and “they” (all of us?) are transferring it to real life. Maybe it is the cause of it? Maybe I’m a lunatic and over analyzing shit. Or maybe I’m getting old and grumpy. The truth lies somewhere in between. 😌
Hope I didn’t derail too much.

Dude! I say this to my wife all the time. This world is far to dependent on social media. I liked your post but I just wanted to say awesome fucking right up and commentary there. A+

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It's particularly bad with the Gay community (Grindr is now the only outlet, bars are nearly deserted or filled with straight people) and it's something I intend to address in my LGBT thread soon.

There are solutions for both sides, imo. But it takes a little discipline and forethought. These tools can be used for good, and CAN streamline the process.

I probably didn't help there, as I tended to pull (girls) in gay clubs back in my younger wilder days. I think a lot of straight people go there because the vibe is more chilled out than in 'straight' clubs, but yeah I can see how that would piss you guys off.

I probably didn't help there, as I tended to pull (girls) in gay clubs back in my younger wilder days. I think a lot of straight people go there because the vibe is more chilled out than in 'straight' clubs, but yeah I can see how that would piss you guys off.
I found gay clubs easier to meet women as well...not intentional as my freind group consisted of some bi and gay guys but women also go there to chill as well....I never felt like a piece of meat also.

royox

I have a friend who found his girlfriend on Tinder - he swiped right - I found mine while on a boat trip during my holidays via just asking her what she’s up to.

I'm late to this party but...

I met girls on real life and tinder...I feel like the first step of the chain is almost the same "I like how this girl looks like". I mean, IRL the common scenario is:
-You find a girl you like
-You man up yourself and talk to her
-Minutes of literal trashtalking "what u doing" "what's your work" "were u from"
-Get her phone
-Wattsapp
-Meet again

Tinder is literally the same but changing the steps for:
-Match with a girl you like
-Man up yourself to CHAT with her.
-Minutes/days of literal trashtalking "what u doing" "what's your work" "were u from"
-Get her phone
-Wattsapp
-Meet in person

I'm a shy person, I can't "man up" with a girl I literally never met and start talking. My way of flirting comes AFTER I managed to break the ice and my ice is the whole North pole...so Tinder can be helpfull.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
I found my GF on Match.com

She was literally a prize. Like a 10/10 catch and I'm still astounded every day I found her in the sea of insanity out there.

What I found online, as (at the time 36) year old dude seeking 30+ year old women..

99.99% of them were divorced/separated women who were looking to go get laid.
Every woman I met who was divorced...was really separated...every separated woman I met is back with their husband.
It's like these women wanted a break from their kids and marriage to go live out some 50 shades of grey fantasy.
The amount of moms out there on Match who will talk nice for 5min then go into talking about wanted to be tied up, choked, anal etc.. is astounding.

I only dated one other aside from my GF and she was NUTS. Eventually became a metal groupie and lost her kids, her home, her career, her mind.

Dating in your 30's is like being on fire unless you want a life of rando mom sex...not for me.

bigedole

I met my wife through myspace 13 years ago, and that was pretty looked down upon back then hehe. She's not proud of it, but we've been happily married for at least 10 of those years now, have kids and definitely couldn't imagine my life with anyone else. Whether it's a bar or some app, it's just a foot in the door to start getting to know someone (or hookup if that's all you want). I dunno why any of it is looked down upon. Gotta protect yourself from crazy either way.

I found my GF on Match.com

She was literally a prize. Like a 10/10 catch and I'm still astounded every day I found her in the sea of insanity out there.

What I found online, as (at the time 36) year old dude seeking 30+ year old women..

99.99% of them were divorced/separated women who were looking to go get laid.
Every woman I met who was divorced...was really separated...every separated woman I met is back with their husband.
It's like these women wanted a break from their kids and marriage to go live out some 50 shades of grey fantasy.
The amount of moms out there on Match who will talk nice for 5min then go into talking about wanted to be tied up, choked, anal etc.. is astounding.

I only dated one other aside from my GF and she was NUTS. Eventually became a metal groupie and lost her kids, her home, her career, her mind.

Dating in your 30's is like being on fire unless you want a life of rando mom sex...not for me.

Don't mean to stereotype but you hit the nail on the head for that 30+ tinder group it would seem...freind went from long term relationship to basically a different lady each night in the 30+ group as none of them wanted a relationship due to kids/defacto rights on houses ect....he actually was complaining about chaffing and the hair on his kneecaps buffing away

Trying to find a proper women is extremely hard
But he appears to be enjoying the banquet ...the only awkward thing is when he runs into the children of the women and they either latch onto him like a dad or know their mom is enjoying the all you can eat menu so they are snarky.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
You get crazy in all age groups really. Younger (18-25) women are all about image, money, flash car, game playing, the princess thing for the most part. 30+ tend to be a bit nuts, alcohol problems aren't uncommon. Finding a good woman is very very difficult, I was very lucky to find my wife, having had my share of cancer-fakers, unhinged nutcases, etc. I don't miss my dating days.

God Enel

I'm late to this party but...

I met girls on real life and tinder...I feel like the first step of the chain is almost the same "I like how this girl looks like". I mean, IRL the common scenario is:
-You find a girl you like
-You man up yourself and talk to her
-Minutes of literal trashtalking "what u doing" "what's your work" "were u from"
-Get her phone
-Wattsapp
-Meet again

Tinder is literally the same but changing the steps for:
-Match with a girl you like
-Man up yourself to CHAT with her.
-Minutes/days of literal trashtalking "what u doing" "what's your work" "were u from"
-Get her phone
-Wattsapp
-Meet in person

I'm a shy person, I can't "man up" with a girl I literally never met and start talking. My way of flirting comes AFTER I managed to break the ice and my ice is the whole North pole...so Tinder can be helpfull.

I’m not saying that tinder is bad. Have a feeling that a lot of people meet online and that’s fine. I’m glad they’re finding their partner online. You have a way bigger pool than outside in RL. Just saying it’s not my style of dating.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I think the issue with Tinder is more down to how its interface creates a particular mindset, along with its gamification of addiction. Consider that on more old-fashioned dating sites you could get a much bigger sense of who the person is (I met my wife on OK Cupid for instance - a site where profiles are usually fairly long and people give a much better idea of who they are - this may not be the case now) and back in the day I may have had some luck with Faceparty, which while not quite as good as OKCupid still presented a mixed profile of text and images, and both were primarily designed to be used on a computer, which of course required turning it on, logging in, etc. There is effort involved and you're in front of a screen big enough to show lots of information, with a real keyboard to type a decent amount of content (or a link to your dick pic if that's what you're into).

Contrast that with Tinder, which as far as I know is a picture with name and age, and you simply swipe left or right to indicate interest ready to see your next victim. And people spend hours on their tiny phone screens doing this. The problem is that it's become really easy to get laid (although I think it's further skewed the market towards those who are photogenic, where old-fashioned dating sites let a person use their written profile to lure their victims, making use of their other attributes). The problem is that when it's really easy to get laid, people stop looking for relationships. When people stop looking for relationships they end up very very lonely. I think we're going to have a lot of very lonely people who haven't had the practice at being in a relationship with someone who hit their 40s and wonder what the fuck happened but can't catch up on the missed learning.

RadioBunny

Neo Member
I hate the influence ResetEra have in the industry, it's like companies will listen to whatever they say even though they're a minority...

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I hate the influence ResetEra have in the industry, it's like companies will listen to whatever they say even though they're a minority...
Really, that influence is lost to IRL sales and experiences. How a large portion of the site treats others and even their own community is something that would instantly make you an outcast IRL.

They are hobo's on the internet. Their mission: To seek divide amongst values that do not need to be divided, to protect the cause of minorities, only when it may affect them at some stage in time, and to tarnish support for those issues that, when things would get rough, would instantly disappear to exist.

Their entire existence relies on purposefully made up things to get upset over. Street lights are red? Discrimination against blind people! That sort of thing.

Even a game of Pac-Man might be racist to them in their minds because those ghosts look surprisingly... racist.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

Do gaming forums really have any sway at this point? ERA has 40k members. Half of them probably don't post there any more or post that often. Half of the remaining people are probably banned. How many remaining people are there after all that? Less then 10k? That's not really that many people when you consider how many people who play videogames are out there. Every time I see ERA mentioned anywhere outside of ERA it's alway people making fun of them.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's a lot less then you think.

Mhm. We have had multiple devs come out and state their distaste for that group and how they interact with the greater community.

The only issue is that certain companies seem to be headed by like-minded individuals (Ubisoft, Sony, etc). I am sure things will fix themselves once enough people have reached their breaking point, but Era itself is not much of an issue.

Blam

Mhm. We have had multiple devs come out and state their distaste for that group and how they interact with the greater community.

The only issue is that certain companies seem to be headed by like-minded individuals (Ubisoft, Sony, etc). I am sure things will fix themselves once enough people have reached their breaking point, but Era itself is not much of an issue.
I mean even then Ubi and sony both have clashes in their own internal offices, so that's not really too much of a problem.

That and the places where they get their feedback from are far disconnected from ERA.

gela94

I got banned on resetera till yesterday because if this RDR2 guy killing feminist in game thread, where I said how childish I find it that people complain about that while in the real world people die every day and nobody cares well I just found out my ban got reviewed and is now permanent reason: Dismissing concerns about intolerance, a history of similar behavior and infractions. nice

Blam

I got banned on resetera till yesterday because if this RDR2 guy killing feminist in game thread, where I said how childish I find it that people complain about that while in the real world people die every day and nobody cares well I just found out my ban got reviewed and is now permanent reason: Dismissing concerns about intolerance, a history of similar behavior and infractions. nice

"unwillingness to accept views, beliefs, or behavior that differ from one's own." Not at you but like wow just look at the definition of intolerance, and look at what they banned you for. Straight up banning people who don't think the same lmao.

gela94

"unwillingness to accept views, beliefs, or behavior that differ from one's own." Not at you but like wow just look at the definition of intolerance, and look at what they banned you for. Straight up banning people who don't think the same lmao.

I just wonder if they ban so many who will be left XDD

Back from my stay in resetera. My activity in both gaf and era was almost entirely limited to the kpop thread(s), so I was totally unaware of what the moderation team was like until...

1. A kpop star dresses up as a native American for a Halloween party
2. This is insensitive, inconsiderate, hateful, ignorant, and warrants an immediate apology - direct quote from everyone but actual native Americans
3. I say something to the effect of "I wonder how many years it will be until the virtue signalers have Halloween banned outright"
4. You have been banned for the following reason: Dismissing concerns over racism; accusing other members of "virtue signaling."

I realize putting my story here is just pissing in the ocean at this point. It's more for self-reflection; I should've taken a better look at what happened during the great divide before going to era.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Back from my stay in resetera. My activity in both gaf and era was almost entirely limited to the kpop thread(s), so I was totally unaware of what the moderation team was like until...

2. This is insensitive, inconsiderate, hateful, ignorant, and warrants an immediate apology - direct quote from everyone but actual native Americans
3. I say something to the effect of "I wonder how many years it will be until the virtue signalers have Halloween banned outright"
4. You have been banned for the following reason: Dismissing concerns over racism; accusing other members of "virtue signaling."

I realize putting my story here is just pissing in the ocean at this point. It's more for self-reflection; I should've taken a better look at what happened during the great divide before going to era.

Love the avatar, by the way :p

You should make a Kpop thread. Never could really get into it. What makes it different from Jpop (what I am personally familiar with) or American Pop (what I mostly despise)?

Love the avatar, by the way :p
Thanks :messenger_winking: I think I'll keep it as a cheeky little reminder.
You should make a Kpop thread. Never could really get into it. What makes it different from Jpop (what I am personally familiar with) or American Pop (what I mostly despise)?
Well, here is the last incarnation of k-pop gaf, preserved in amber after the split. Its last post was in June, so I'm not sure how much participation there would be in a new one. I'm definitely up for trying, but maybe tomorrow. Especially if the first post is expected to be fancy, haha.

As for the differences... I'll start by saying I know very little about J-pop. I'm not really exposed to it outside of anime opening/closing themes, so I don't know what the culture is like. K-pop is a constant bombardment of new music. Full albums aren't very common; releases tend more toward EPs ("mini albums") and singles. A lot of groups will do "comebacks" several times per year, each time with a new single and many stage performances to go with it. When they're not performing, they're sure to be on some tv show or modeling on the side or something. K-pop idols are busy. This contrasts greatly with Western artists that put out an album once every 1-3 years because the market isn't oversaturated.

I have similar feelings toward Western pop. I just stopped caring like 10 years ago. However, I think Carly Rae Jepsen is the savior. If you haven't heard her Emotion album from 2015, do yourself a favor.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Thanks :messenger_winking: I think I'll keep it as a cheeky little reminder.

Well, here is the last incarnation of k-pop gaf, preserved in amber after the split. Its last post was in June, so I'm not sure how much participation there would be in a new one. I'm definitely up for trying, but maybe tomorrow. Especially if the first post is expected to be fancy, haha.

As for the differences... I'll start by saying I know very little about J-pop. I'm not really exposed to it outside of anime opening/closing themes, so I don't know what the culture is like. K-pop is a constant bombardment of new music. Full albums aren't very common; releases tend more toward EPs ("mini albums") and singles. A lot of groups will do "comebacks" several times per year, each time with a new single and many stage performances to go with it. When they're not performing, they're sure to be on some tv show or modeling on the side or something. K-pop idols are busy. This contrasts greatly with Western artists that put out an album once every 1-3 years because the market isn't oversaturated.

I have similar feelings toward Western pop. I just stopped caring like 10 years ago. However, I think Carly Rae Jepsen is the savior. If you haven't heard her Emotion album from 2015, do yourself a favor.

Ah. You don't need to make a whole OT Community post. Just start up a random thread in the OT area about Kpop.

Also interesting. Didn't realize it was that busy in the Kpop business. I did listen to Carly Rae Jepsen and, while the lyrics are decent, the compositions and actual singing leave a lot to be desired for me. Anyways, we can carry this convo on in a dedicated thread to prevent further derails. Welcome back to NeoGaf and I hope you enjoy your stay!

I was thinking about opening a thread about this, but seeing as there's none in the 1st page of Offtopic, and considering that a step forward, I won't be feeding into that, so I'll ask here, even though it isn't completely on the topic.

What's the current state of NeoGAF?

I browse GAF mostly at work, and about a month and a half ago, for some reason, my company blocked the access to the site (reason: gaming lol). Since then, I logged in about 5 times tops, from my phone. Yesterday I tried it again at work, and it worked! A site re-design is what popped up immediately, but what about user-base, traffic, new posts, new threads, quality of discussion? How have things evolved in the past (almost) 2 months?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I was thinking about opening a thread about this, but seeing as there's none in the 1st page of Offtopic, and considering that a step forward, I won't be feeding into that, so I'll ask here, even though it isn't completely on the topic.

What's the current state of NeoGAF?

I browse GAF mostly at work, and about a month and a half ago, for some reason, my company blocked the access to the site (reason: gaming lol). Since then, I logged in about 5 times tops, from my phone. Yesterday I tried it again at work, and it worked! A site re-design is what popped up immediately, but what about user-base, traffic, new posts, new threads, quality of discussion? How have things evolved in the past (almost) 2 months?
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/whats-the-current-status-of-gaf-in-general-right-now.1467637/

blanchot

Resetera is genuinely an awful forum. The ill informed hot takes on developing topics, the hivemind-like replies (genuinely intriguing, are they aware they do are doing it?) and the zealous moderating, with bans displayed publicly like a hanged pirate to ward off any other ne'er do wells. If only by comparison, this place is more breezy.

Resetera is genuinely an awful forum. The ill informed hot takes on developing topics, the hivemind-like replies (genuinely intriguing, are they aware they do are doing it?) and the zealous moderating, with bans displayed publicly like a hanged pirate to ward off any other ne'er do wells. If only by comparison, this place is more breezy.
So breezy you should post in the introduction thread if you haven’t already.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice

Lmfao the hive-mind. That makes life so boringggg

I killed my account there months ago. First I requested a ban just to distance myself from them. Then after forgetting just how fucking terrible the place is I decided to go back. By the end of the day I was fishing for mods to delete me permanently.

onken

What the fuck is "virtue signaling"?

What the fuck is "virtue signaling"?
A virtue is a good quality, usually in a moral or ethical sense. "Virtue signaling" is a term that aptly describes peacocking one's own goodness in an attempt to appear virtuous. As you've probably gathered by reading that far, it's not done by actual, virtuous people.

The term has become popular lately as the "politically correct" crowd has tried harder and harder to push their agenda, but it's not a new thing. An easy example is the advertising industry. Pretty much any company that advertises with models will be sure that any given picture has a racially and/or sexually diverse cast. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but obviously the company sees it as a quota rather than some form of altruism.

onken

A virtue is a good quality, usually in a moral or ethical sense. "Virtue signaling" is a term that aptly describes peacocking one's own goodness in an attempt to appear virtuous. As you've probably gathered by reading that far, it's not done by actual, virtuous people.

The term has become popular lately as the "politically correct" crowd has tried harder and harder to push their agenda, but it's not a new thing. An easy example is the advertising industry. Pretty much any company that advertises with models will be sure that any given picture has a racially and/or sexually diverse cast. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but obviously the company sees it as a quota rather than some form of altruism.

I see, thanks.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Additionally, one can signal one's virtue by attacking that which is considered less than virtuous. This is, in part, why the dogpiling and rage storms happens on Twitter.

Mista

Banned
It’s a shithole and they’re racist. I got banned for defending my country from false accusations but the ones that were attacking it and talking shit nothing happened to them

WaterAstro

I guess I missed this thread.

Current GAF is definitely less strict than Old GAF. I think with more mods, the obvious trolls will get shutdown sooner, the ones who step over the line and start being insulting or derailing threads with unrelated posts. It will and shouldn't go back to the time where people were getting banned for anything, and there would be no explanation or visibility of why it happens.

Now that politics/controversial threads have been separated, it's a lot better now in Off Topic too.

Wag

They banned me again for no reason I could figure. I'm done there. If you ban everyone who has a different opinion than you how can you have a discussion? What's the point of having a forum at all?

What have the parents done to these kids?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom