• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Game Master (Game Center CX hackjob) thread | New ep every Thursday 8 PM EST

ronito

that seems like a dumb move. You have a really huge multi-national fanbase that's very loyal. Cutting off free pressure to potential licensors is dumb unless you've come to a good licensing agreement

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, since the Kotaku thing failed, all that's left to protect is DVD sales. I'm not sure how the set did here though, so I have no idea if there's even any interest in doing another one.

Or hell, they might just be protecting the Japanese market.

OMG Aero

Someone in the Something Awful thread brought up the possibility that they are taking them down from Youtube because it's an easy way for Japanese people to look up full episodes and watch them without buying the DVDs, whereas if a Japanese person wanted to watch the full episodes from the SA thread itself they'd have to jump through a ton of hoops, which seems plausible to me.
Especially since the SA guys basically have implicit approval given how much one of the translators is involved with the actual people working on the show in Japan and the people who localised that one DVD.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Someone in the Something Awful thread brought up the possibility that they are taking them down from Youtube because it's an easy way for Japanese people to look up full episodes and watch them without buying the DVDs, whereas if a Japanese person wanted to watch the full episodes from the SA thread itself they'd have to jump through a ton of hoops, which seems plausible to me.

Yeah, thinking about it, it makes sense. For a similar reason, Japanese people can't watch streaming anime on Crunchyroll or similar services. In that case, they can just IP block though.

cj_iwakura

Could someone clue me in on the DVD release's content? Someone showed me the Prince of Persia ep once and I loved it. Would it be completely intact on the DVD, or edited somehow?

I'd love to see him take on Ninja Gaiden(since it's my favorite NES game ever and all).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The DVD episodes are all the ones from the Kotaku run with an all new subtitle track done by the same translator who does the majority of the SA GCCX translations and two bonus releases of Ninja Gaiden 2 and the exclusive english language release of Shiren the Wanderer.

The games that are challenged are:

Ninja Gaiden
Super Fantasy Zone
Bonanza Brothers
Solomon's Key
Clock Tower
Mighty Bomb Jack
The Mystery of Atlantis
S.O.S.
Battle Golfer Yui
53 Stations of the Tokaido
The Wing of Madoola
Golden Axe
Shiren the Wanderer
Ninja Gaiden 2

-KRS-

So you guys have probably heard it already, but apparently they are working on bringing VODs of GCCX to streaming services in the west. They're almost ready to announce something.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=499267730131659&id=183607395031029

Hopefully it's on something that's available in Europe and the rest of the world as well, but either way it's nice to see the show getting more exposure.

Edit: I hope there wasn't a thread made for this news that I missed...

Also this seems like a likely reason for why they've been cracking down on the youtube channel and all that, depending on how the deal they made looks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So you guys have probably heard it already, but apparently they are working on bringing VODs of GCCX to streaming services in the west. They're almost ready to announce something.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...83607395031029

Hopefully it's on something that's available in Europe and the rest of the world as well, but either way it's nice to see the show getting more exposure.

Edit: I hope there wasn't a thread made for this news that I missed...

Also this seems like a likely reason for why they've been cracking down on the youtube channel and all that, depending on how the deal they made looks.

Ahhh, that makes perfect sense then. Although I really hope that whatever happens, the non-challenge parts get worked on. I'm at a point where those are my favourite parts of the releases now.

Saw the Ninja Gaiden episode not knowing anything about Gamecenter CX and now I'm craving for more.

I know the box set is on Amazon and I'm planning on getting it, But I wanna know more about everything there is to this show after being floored by the fact that this thing has been going on 10+ years.

ANYTHING. I need more KACHO
ON

androvsky

Man, that was some funny stuff. I lost it the same moment that the reader lady did.

Ah, I guess it was fake subs. Still funny.

I think Zari-gani recorded audio for the catch lines. Listen closely and you'll hear
"John Romero" and "bitch"
in the last segment. The audio quality is a bit different in those spots too.

It's great stuff, especially the middle one. :)

BearChair

Did I miss something? It seems like all work on fan subbing these has completely stopped. It used to be there would be a new episode or even two translated to English every month. Recently, there has been nothing.

baphomet

Did I miss something? It seems like all work on fan subbing these has completely stopped. It used to be there would be a new episode or even two translated to English every month. Recently, there has been nothing.

One went up a few weeks ago. They're still working on them, but as was pointed out in the other thread, they're running out of episodes to translate.

Top Bottom