• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League PS4 [Soccer with cars!] Closed beta - Sign up now, Keys limited.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Playing 3v3, score first goal in about 15 seconds

Up on d pad, "Get good"

Score the second goal in the next 15 seconds,

Up on d pad, "Get wrecked"

Third kick off, I can barely go anywhere as the entire opposing team aims at pushing my car around :)

This game was definitely missing some friendly smack talk.

they need to rename it to "git gud"

Good times, ran into mikeworks and fyshokid (creator of the epic/slightly long SARPBC Community Montage #2) and had some intense games where we got wrecked. Fysho's flight skills are scary!

I had to cut myself off because if not it'll suddenly be daylight again and I'll still be playing >_<

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Lots of vets of the for at are good. I'd like to consider myself very competent. I hope the ranked matches attract more people as those were the ones that counted the stats. I also hope this game tracks stats regardless of ranked matches.

Meh I don't want to play ranked games too much selfish play , I have run into very few goal stealers in the beta personally and I'd like to keep it that way

Codiox

Oh man this beta is even better. They fixed some problems, seems more polished. If anyone wanna play, add me: C0D10X

Cant wait for the full game. We need more of those fun games. I'm really sick and tired of all this simulation / realistic games that we get this time now. Wee need games like this that just are fun.

Edit: anyone noticed the background music in the main menu? Some good tunes.

Covfan

Loving the game yet again.

I do think a pitch shaped like a + would be fun, maybe have 4 teams playing at the same time.

Yes. I don't have the number off the top of my head. Max Speed = ball's maximum potential speed (it has a cap). First beta had a lower cap than the last public Alpha, it was affecting ball hits somewhat (though standard hits don't come near the speed cap).

RE: Input lag, I was definitely noticing issues from home tonight that are tough to pin down - framerate, server hitches, etc. while playing from the office was buttery smooth. So something clearly going on, and inconsistency explains why some posters are having issues and others aren't.

Ah, see, so there IS some kind of weird ... lag. It's good to know it's not intended.

Gonna be a hell of a long day at work. And Fysho ain't all that ;)

Are we still friends on PSN, LiquidMetal?

Hey coolcole, you used to be on my PSN! I'll have to send you a friend invite again (sorry, PSN hit 100 on PS3 and I had to make cuts D: )

What do you guys think of this Dodgeball mode:

Dodgeball: A 4v4 mode where scoring a goal sidelines a random enemy player. Sidelined players can be brought back if their team scores. First team to eliminate the enemy team wins, or whoever has more teammates alive when time runs out wins (when a new round starts, the disadvantaged team is given closer proximity to the ball/immediate possession to keep things fair).

Ah, see, so there IS some kind of weird ... lag. It's good to know it's not intended.

Hey coolcole, you used to be on my PSN! I'll have to send you a friend invite again (sorry, PSN hit 100 on PS3 and I had to make cuts D: )

Do it :) not sure how much gametime I'll actually get today sadly!

BShadowJ

I was playing Rocket League and had my first crash :(

I tried the tutorials, and although they are too easy for me, they seemed good for a novice (as they are intended for novice players on the available difficulty... lol) Oh and that map is soooooo pretty! Even better than the new one imo. There's even rain on it! I so wish to play that map online...

BShadowJ

Nope. It's smaller.

And the new beta is even more awesome.

Not to be mean, but he's a developer from the game, so he should know x)

I'll give you something though, when I tried the new map it sure felt smaller. Pretty sure it's because the crowd is way closer to the edges of the map than the previous one, but yeah it's the same size.

Not to be mean, but he's a developer from the game, so he should know x)

I'll give you something though, when I tried the new map it sure felt smaller. Pretty sure it's because the crowd is way closer to the edges of the map than the previous one, but yeah it's the same size.

Maybe the ball's max speed increasing makes it feel smaller?

Honestly I appreciate that they are working on this as a competitive game first, that's awesome and all! Though as much as I want to get really good at this, I also want crazy features great for parties and couch co-op shenanigans. Stuff like

Multiball
Cube Ball
No passing half court
Circular arenas
Arenas with bumps
Different shaped goals
Goals in the middle of the wall instead of the ground
Stuff like that dodge ball proposal
Hockey puck instead of a ball

Bunch of silly stuff. But for now I'm pleased with the standard competitive league approach.

Side note: Can you make free play like the waiting for players session? As in no ball explosions when you score and invite friends to session?

BShadowJ

Maybe the ball's max speed increasing makes it feel smaller?

Oh yeah that might be a good reason too. The ball goes from one side of the court to the other noticeably faster now. But I think it's more the crowd being closer, because on the free play map it just feels more spacious than this one, since you can see more into the distance... I don't know, maybe it's just me! x)

Honestly I appreciate that they are working on this as a competitive game first, that's awesome and all! Though as much as I want to get really good at this, I also want crazy features great for parties and couch co-op shenanigans. Stuff like

Multiball
Cube Ball
No passing half court
Circular arenas
Arenas with bumps
Different shaped goals
Goals in the middle of the wall instead of the ground
Stuff like that dodge ball proposal
Hockey puck instead of a ball

Bunch of silly stuff. But for now I'm pleased with the standard competitive league approach.

Side note: Can you make free play like the waiting for players session? As in no ball explosions when you score and invite friends to session?

Psyonix constantly reminds people that they are a small team and that they have to cut stuff for DLC/future updates because they cant do it all.

Im hoping we see some of this, and that the focus is on maps, options (for private/offline matches), and a new mode or two. Would be nice if slight alterations were made for a "social" playlist like in Halo/Uncharted, but that sounds like it requires too much work to constantly do.

People seem to want create-an-arena too, which I am actually very against. Feels like a waste of resources to get community tools up for a small percent of players who will play custom maps in private/offline lobbies. If custom maps were available online, then they'd have to deal with hosting and selecting maps too.

I'd much rather Psyonix make their own arenas for us.

I hope we do see a new mode of some kind though. Dodgeball I figured would work because it uses existing assets, and only needs to deal with creating spectators and tracking who is out and in.

I wonder how online will work. Too many playlists could make matchmaking more difficult, and I imagine there will be a "ranked" playlist for competitive, standard maps and a more casual playlist featuring the non-standard party maps.

Regardless, I am hoping the resources for the post launch content goes towards more options for private/party modes. I feel like they can add some fun modes/playlists.

Oh yeah that might be a good reason too. The ball goes from one side of the court to the other noticeably faster now. But I think it's more the crowd being closer, because on the free play map it just feels more spacious than this one, since you can see more into the distance... I don't know, maybe it's just me! x)

How do you guys feel about this? Is it more difficult to boost into defense/goaltending? Does it require more use of boost to catch up to the ball? Just curious if its noticeably changed the game

I understand they're a small team. Most of this is all based of off the mini games available in Supersonic, just the natural progression of wanting to play stuff like that with friends.

They already announced no mini games at launch which is sad but understandable. I'm going to have to reserve judgement until launch, but assuming there's enough core competitive content existing then I for one would appreciate the limited resources go to more casual wacky fun.

BShadowJ

How do you guys feel about this? Is it more difficult to boost into defense/goaltending? Does it require more use of boost to catch up to the ball? Just curious if its noticeably changed the game

Well since you can go from one side to the other of the court very quickly without the use of any boost anyway... No I don't it makes that big of a difference. It's noticeable that the max speed of the ball is higher sure, but you do have to hit it hard, so most of the time it's still the same, and well if it does go to max speed, like I said you can go around the map fast without boost still ;P

Oh and for anyone wondering how you go faster around the map without boost, the game actually teaches you now in the tutorial! :)

I think the core game is prettt perfect, so I do hope we see more zany stuff too :)

Id like to also add:

-Text chat for main menu. Easier than PSN messaging

-radial chat/list of phrases for in-game.

I like that chatting is a solution for replays. I no longer want to skip replays because trash talking and being good sports is fun and adds a really awesome social dimension. Seriously, it goes a long way for something that seems so unnecessary

What do you guys want the launch playlist to look like?

For me:

Ranked (standard maps)
-Doubles
-Standard
-Duel

Social (differently shaped/all maps)
-Chaos
-New party/fun Mode down the line/post launch.

Maybe they can rotate a set of rules for a new social mode every weekend, presuming it isn't difficult or resource intensive

Maybe they can rotate a set of rules for a new social mode every weekend, presuming it isn't difficult or resource intensive

Anecdotally, mutator playlists were not a success during Alpha. Everyone said they wanted them, but quickly went back to normal gameplay. Even the wackiest mutator gets stale pretty quickly which makes it hard to justify focus on them.

Personally my hunch is the only way it can work is a stable of mutators that rotates every match (Cube ball, superboost, low grav, multiball, etc.) so it retains its novelty game to game somewhat.

Pro-tip: To get across the map fast double tap X while holding the left stick forward. You'll do a quick front flip dash and even get fast enough to demolish an opponent. Save boost to attack the ball in the air or if you really need to outrun an owner for a hit.

Pro-tip 2: Ever get in a situation where you are reversing to get back to your side and block a shot? This trick works while going backwards too! Double tap X and backflip your way across the arena, you will go super fast.

BShadowJ

Anecdotally, mutator playlists were not a success during Alpha. Everyone said they wanted them, but quickly went back to normal gameplay. Even the wackiest mutator gets stale pretty quickly which makes it hard to justify focus on them.

Personally my hunch is the only way it can work is a stable of mutators that rotates every match (Cube ball, superboost, low grav, multiball, etc.) so it retains its novelty game to game somewhat.

I think mutators should be included in some shape or form, but as an option for private match. I agree public playlists probably won't be very popular, but it would be cool to have as an option in private matches so we could spice things up a bit when we felt like it :p

Pro-tip: To get across the map fast double tap X while holding the left stick forward. You'll do a quick front flip dash and even get fast enough to demolish an opponent. Save boost to attack the ball in the air or if you really need to outrun an owner for a hit.

Pro-tip 2: Ever get in a situation where you are reversing to get back tiki your side and block a shot? This trick works while going backwards too! Double tap X and backflip your way across the arena, you will go super fast.

Shhhhhhhh don't tell them our secrets! :p

But yeah if you want to train that a little it's on the tutorial as one of the first things you do. It's super useful to know to move around quickly, especially without having boost!

The new goal sound is HORRIBLE.

It's not new.

Old one is still there, but every arena is different.

Regarding mutators, I can see how the novelty can wear off.

I want to push for unique modes like 2v2v2 on a special triangle map, and modes like dodgeball

Those sound like less of a novelty and more of a mode tht could be played commonly

Hasney

It's not new.

Old one is still there, but every arena is different.

Regarding mutators, I can see how the novelty can wear off.

I want to push for unique modes like 2v2v2 on a special triangle map, and modes like dodgeball

Those sound like less of a novelty and more of a mode tht could be played commonly

You've got to see how well the base game takes off first though, otherwise you end up with a Titanfall situation and split the community so much that modes have to be reduced.

BShadowJ

You've got to see how well the base game takes off first though, otherwise you end up with a Titanfall situation and split the community so much that modes have to be reduced.

Oh but I can totally see the game taking off... like a rocket... powered battle car.

I'll see myself out xD

For competitive games, how would you like to select your starting position? So you can have actual rule players at certain positions. Or best to keep it random?

BShadowJ

For competitive games, how would you like to select your starting position? So you can have actual rule players at certain positions. Or best to keep it random?

It should be random. I mean sure you can have people who are better as goalie/at defense and others better than offense, but at kick off? Just check whether you're closer to the ball or not than your teammates, and then go for the ball or defend accordingly. After that everyone goes where they're most comfortable at.

It should be random. I mean sure you can have people who are better as goalie/at defense and others better than offense, but at kick off? Just check whether you're closer to the ball or not than your teammates, and then go for the ball or defend accordingly. After that everyone goes where they're most comfortable at.

I think you can make a fair argument that at a very high level of play, teams would want to eliminate the randomness of kickoff positioning. It'd be like forcing American football teams to arrange completely randomly on offense and defense for kickoffs.

True, which is why I proposed the playlist above :p

4 playlists, with an extra one in rotation/dedicated to a party mode.

3 ranked playlists, with chaos being a social playlist with all maps.

Is rank different per playlist?

hao chi

Can't wait to get home and play more tonight. I also wouldn't mind playing with some GAF people. I ran into a few of you as well as a Psyonix sec last night.

PSN: hao-chi

Top Bottom