• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League PS4 [Soccer with cars!] Closed beta - Sign up now, Keys limited.

Hasney

Does anyone have tips? So far I've figured out that saving it is best attempted from behind the goal line. But shooting is still really tricky, I keep making a runup only to realize my awesome flip shot is travelling below the ball.

Jump earlier and flip later if you actually need to flip. A lot of goals just need to just be jumped into rather than generate power.

BShadowJ

Since this is a new page and in the hopes of getting more people of seeing it, I'm quoting myself from before for the possible tournament:

TLDR:
GAF Tournament 3v3, starting tomorrow (Bo3 right now, subject to change)
Team Sign-ups Here (24h to register from NOW)
Free Agent Sign-ups Here
Find Teammates Here
EDIT: See what teams are registered Here

Since I know this was way last minute, I will do a tournament when the full game releases anyway.
Or on another beta, Psyonix please? x)

What do you guys think of adding these stats/awards:

Tie Maker: Score a goal that ties the game in the last 10 seconds, resulting in overtime

Tie Breaker: Score a goal in the last 10 seconds that avoids an Overtime, resulting in a +1 victory

Would be awarded retroactively in the end-game stats

Does anyone have tips? So far I've figured out that saving it is best attempted from behind the goal line. But shooting is still really tricky, I keep making a runup only to realize my awesome flip shot is travelling below the ball.

The ball hitting will be mastered in time

Tutorials will help in the final game

I used to miss a lot, but eventually it became second nature. Most of the time, you jump prematurely, so mindfully slow down or delay your jumps

Grinchy

Banned
Lot of fun. It was too funny when we saw your name pop up for matchmaking.

haha yeah I couldn't believe it. We all definitely need to play again.

Shit, I'll probably be getting back online soon. If I see you on I'll send some invites.

newsguy

OK I finally got to try the beta. This is my GOTY. I haven't had a smile on my face this big thru the entire generation.

With all of the resolution talk and AF and AS and crazy microscopic lenses on every detail,this game brings the joy of old school over the top games like midtown madness and blitz. I'm gonna get my friends a copy. What a blast.

Made a friend get the beta. He likes it but never knew what it was until I explained it

Might have gotten you a new buyer, Psyonix ;)

Gonna show this to a friend when he comes over one day. Word of mouth will help this game, along with this beta and demo

What do you guys think the Metacritic will be?

Surely at least an 80? Anyone see this game superseding into critically acclaimed territory?

Grinchy

Banned
I made a little video of some saves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv0Z9JKBtHE&feature=youtu.be

My favorite is a Ziedsonnix block with less than 10 seconds left to go in a tied game:

QZj1EDq.gif

TMC

haha yeah I couldn't believe it. We all definitely need to play again.

Shit, I'll probably be getting back online soon. If I see you on I'll send some invites.

I need to send you a friends request. That's why I was never seeing you on in the first place. Sending one now...

Grinchy

Banned
I need to send you a friends request. That's why I was never seeing you on in the first place. Sending one now...

Yeah I thought I had added you already. I guess not! Either way I think I might be fried on this game for tonight.

TMC

Yeah I thought I had added you already. I guess not! Either way I think I might be fried on this game for tonight.

Yeah, I am done for tonight too. I wish I realized this sooner. Just finished playing for several hours with PrinceKee and Twisted-Gamer.

Does anyone know if some of the SARPBC arenas will be making a return in the final release? I'd really like to play the circular arena again.

Does anyone know if some of the SARPBC arenas will be making a return in the final release? I'd really like to play the circular arena again.

I don't think they've confirmed definitively but they did say the majority of the launch arenas would be standard size. They have stated more will be getting added as free DLC though.

Tagg9

Since this is a new page and in the hopes of getting more people of seeing it, I'm quoting myself from before for the possible tournament:

Since I know this was way last minute, I will do a tournament when the full game releases anyway.
Or on another beta, Psyonix please? x)
Thanks for doing this. I signed up as a free agent if anyone will have me.

So, I've come to realize that the game has multiple starting positions.

One that I never saw before was goaltender, with two teammates almost shoulder to shoulder shortly in front the goaltender...

Do you guys think it'd be interesting to choose your starting position? Maybe during the replay, a map comes up where you select from the available positions before the start of the round?

It could create some strategies for offensive/defensive plays.

bjaelke

So, I've come to realize that the game has multiple starting positions.

One that I never saw before was goaltender, with two teammates almost shoulder to shoulder shortly in front the goaltender...

Do you guys think it'd be interesting to choose your starting position? Maybe during the replay, a map comes up where you select from the available positions before the start of the round?

It could create some strategies for offensive/defensive plays.

I prefer the mirrored starting positions - especially with random teammates.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
kinda OT, but do anyone else's posts not show up in "your posts"?
it worked in the past but my posts dont show up since yesterday.

newsguy

Nice! I need to get better at boosting when already in the air, there's lots of strategy in getting over defenders.

So last night was my first time with this game. I started playing it around 10pm. I work at 5am. I went to bed at 3:30am. Such a simple concept so well executed. I could not stop playing, that "one more match" bug hit me like it hasn't in many years. What a seriously fantastic Beta, I can't wait for the retail version.

JambiBum

I really like playing goalie in this game. People get pretty mad when you save their shots over and over so then they try to ram into you to blow you up. I just jump over them and watch my team easily score while the other team is stuck with a guy trying to ram into me. I still get chances to make shots when balls are left out in the middle of the field and I can take advantage of it.

I'm sure it's been asked before but I never saw a response, but does anyone know if it's coming to pc or is it just a ps4 thing?

Mabufu

Banned
I really like playing goalie in this game. People get pretty mad when you save their shots over and over so then they try to ram into you to blow you up. I just jump over them and watch my team easily score while the other team is stuck with a guy trying to ram into me. I still get chances to make shots when balls are left out in the middle of the field and I can take advantage of it.

I'm sure it's been asked before but I never saw a response, but does anyone know if it's coming to pc or is it just a ps4 thing?

Yep it's coming to PC too = )

My goodness I am bad at this game. I just can't judge the drop of the ball with the speed of the cars. Give me a real football and it's no problem, just in this it's impossible.

TMC

I had one player last night who consistently tried to push me out of the goalie position by doing the same thing. I wasn't even repeatedly blocking their shots. They just didn't seem to like the idea of a dedicated goalie. It was pretty funny.

deleted

What plays better? If you play goaly, I would imagine the ball cam, but are you limited in your movement when you are in front, waiting for the ball?

Kosh

So the camera autofocusses on the ball all the time? That's pretty clever!

No, Triangle button toggles focus on the ball. I don't use the ball focus while playing goalie, unless I'm trying to run back to the goal. But while already in the box, I just try to keep facing wherever the ball is so I'm ready to try and make the save.

Murray97

I use ball cam all the time unless the ball is right above me. I find it way easier to judge when the ball is going to hit the ground with the indicator than looking up at it.

deleted

No, Triangle button toggles focus on the ball. I don't use the ball focus while playing goalie, unless I'm trying to run back to the goal. But while already in the box, I just try to keep facing wherever the ball is so I'm ready to try and make the save.

Interesting mechanic. I'll make sure to experiment with that once I get the game.

BShadowJ

Well it's been 24 hours and there have been 5 people (6 counting TMC who told me he'd play) registering for the tournament so... yeah. We can all play later tonight if you want, but I'm not sure about it being a tournament and all x)

To be fair it was expected since it's not on a weekend, and on such a short notice, so it's ok. I promise to whomever is interested I'll do a proper tournament when the full game releases. Here's to hoping the game comes out sooner rather than later :p

Top Bottom