• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryu has fought over 300 video game characters

Only 300? :p
mugen000.png

mugen
Nothing can surpass the challenge that was Omega Tom Hanks.

@MUWANdo

Banned
There's a reason there was no MK vs. DC 2. An MK that can't be gory isn't what MK fans want, and there's no way Capcom is gonna let Netherrealm brutally maim the Street Fighter cast. (And I don't blame them.)

There's no middle ground that would be interesting enough for either company to pursue.

Not just that but the two series are very different in a lot of ways and it'd take way too long to decide who's gonna make it, which systems to use, etc and no matter what arrangement they came to, some portion of the audience is going to be disappointed.

It's for the same reason that the Mario/Sonic crossover is tied to the Olympic Games--they realised that the best way to combine both franchises was in a neutral setting that ditched the conventions and expectations of their respective franchises.

Nezzhil

Here we go with almost 60 more characters thanks to Namco X Capcom and the first Project X Zone (I'm not counting random enemies, grunts and fighters listed yet like Firebrand-aka Red Arremer Joker, or Street Fighters):

Namco
Armor King, Devil Kazuya, Mokujin, Prototype Jack, Leon Magnus (Judas), T-elos, Charade, Necron, Omicon, PTX-002C Gespenst Haken "Phantom", Skeith, Stehoney, Vajra, Amazona, Black Bravoman, Waya-Hime, Black Valkyrie, Kamüz, Malix (Zouna), Druaga, Janga, Joker (Joka), Kiso Yoshinaka, Minamoto no Yoritomo, Minamoto no Yoshitsune, Saito Musashibo Benkei, Akatana, Byakuya X, Dokugozu, Dokumezu, Katana, Ninety Nine, Saya, Ain Belenus, Douhet Arambellum, Drei Belenus, Meden Traore

Capcom
MegaMan Juno (Rockman Juno), Vile (BABA), Astaroth, Nebiroth (Nebiros), Huitzil (Phobos), Jedah Dohma, Lilith, Lord Raptor (Zabel Zarock), Q-Bee, The Grandmaster, Solo, Strider Hien, Tonpooh, Druk, Shturm, Shturm Jr.

Sega
V-Dural, "Aya-me" Ayame Fujieda, Ciseaux & Prelude, Selvaria Bles, Riemsianne La Vaes

Forkball

Here we go with the Namco X Capcom and the first Project X Zone (I'm not counting random enemies, grunts and fighters listed yet):

Namco
Armor King, Devil Kazuya, Mokujin, Prototype Jack, Leon Magnus (Judas), T-elos, Charade, PTX-002C Gespenst Haken "Phantom", Skeith, Vajra, Amazona, Black Bravoman, Waya-Hime, Black Valkyrie, Kamüz, Malix (Zouna), Druaga, Janga, Joker (Joka), Kiso Yoshinaka, Minamoto no Yoritomo, Minamoto no Yoshitsune, Saito Musashibo Benkei, Dokugozu, Dokumezu, Katana, Ninety Nine, Saya, Ain Belenus, Douhet Arambellum, Drei Belenus,

Capcom
MegaMan Juno (Rockman Juno), Vile (BABA), Astaroth, Nebiroth (Nebiros), Huitzil (Phobos), Jedah Dohma, Lilith, Lord Raptor (Zabel Zarock), Q-Bee, The Grandmaster, Solo, Strider Hien, Tonpooh, Druk, Shturm, Shturm Jr.

Sega
V-Dural, "Aya-me" Ayame Fujieda, Ciseaux & Prelude, Selvaria Bles, Riemsianne La Vaes

Added, thanks. THE LEGEND OF RYU GROWS. Though I have no idea who the eff those Sega characters are. They sound like Gundam characters.

devonodev

Not just that but the two series are very different in a lot of ways and it'd take way too long to decide who's gonna make it, which systems to use, etc and no matter what arrangement they came to, some portion of the audience is going to be disappointed.

It's for the same reason that the Mario/Sonic crossover is tied to the Olympic Games--they realised that the best way to combine both franchises was in a neutral setting that ditched the conventions and expectations of their respective franchises.
The only solution: Ryu & Sub-Zero at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

Exclusive to 3DS and Wii U.

Nezzhil

Added, thanks. THE LEGEND OF RYU GROWS. Though I have no idea who the eff those Sega characters are. They sound like Gundam characters.

Check the list again, I added some more Namco characters (copy and paste all of them again) from Project X Zone that I miss.

The Sega characters are from Virtua Fighter, Sakura Wars 1 & 3, Valkyria Chronicles and Shining Force EXA.

Namco characters are from Tekken, Tales of Destiny, Xenosaga, SoulCalibur, Super Robot Wars Endless Frontier, .hack//, Gods Eater, Wonder Momo, Bravoman, Legend of Valkyrie, Tower of Druaga, Klonoa, The Genji and the Heike Clans, Namco X Capcom and Project X Zone.

Capcom are from Mega Man Legends, Mega Man X, Ghost 'n Goblins, Darkstalkers, Strider and Captain Commando.

Storywise Ryu actually gets beaten by pretty much every notable warrior he met: Ken, Akuma, Bison, Oro.

The only notable one he beat is Sagat in SF1 and that was only because he taped into the power of Evil Ryu when he was on the verge of defeat. But in SF Alpha 3, Sagat did defeat Ryu when Bison brainwashed the latter.

PKrockin

There's also Master Hand, Crazy Hand, Metal Face, Yellow Devil and Ridley from Smash 4.
I suppose you could also count stages hazards and assist trophies that target Ryu, Ryu can KO, and are vulnerable to being KO'd by Ryu, such as Flying Man, Elec Man, Samurai Goroh, Dark Samus, Mother Brain, etc. if you want to.

I suppose you could also count stages hazards and assist trophies that target Ryu, Ryu can KO, and are vulnerable to being KO'd by Ryu, such as Flying Man, Elec Man, Samurai Goroh, Dark Samus, Mother Brain, etc. if you want to.

I feel like the distinction here has to be whether the characters are actively fighting each other, or if they're just throwing out random attacks. Which I think would disqualify the ATs and probably Yellow Devil.

Forkball

Add Leona for SNK!
I did. I agree should should be in more games.
Check the list again, I added some more Namco characters (copy and paste all of them again) from Project X Zone that I miss.

The Sega characters are from Virtua Fighter, Sakura Wars 1 & 3, Valkyria Chronicles and Shining Force EXA.

Namco characters are from Tekken, Tales of Destiny, Xenosaga, SoulCalibur, Super Robot Wars Endless Frontier, .hack//, Gods Eater, Wonder Momo, Bravoman, Legend of Valkyrie, Tower of Druaga, Klonoa, The Genji and the Heike Clans, Namco X Capcom and Project X Zone.

Capcom are from Mega Man Legends, Mega Man X, Ghost 'n Goblins, Darkstalkers, Strider and Captain Commando.
Added.
I feel like the distinction here has to be whether the characters are actively fighting each other, or if they're just throwing out random attacks. Which I think would disqualify the ATs and probably Yellow Devil.
The arbitrary rules that I made up is that Ryu has to go one on one with them (or tag or 3v3 whatever). Assist trophies aren't the sole combatant and just get in the way. THEY ARE GLORIFIED STAGE HAZARDS. I should add the hands though for Smash.
I stopped reading at "violent ken"... I never knew there was one, is that like dark Ryu? Must go research now

Yes. I don't know his story but he exists. He was in the not-loved SNK vs. Capcom Chaos for PS2. I guess he is technically an SNK character since they developed that game, but he's Ken so I just shoved him in the SF section. There is also a Shadow Charlie and Shadow Lady is basically Dark Chun Li. Don't tell Sakurai any of this because those would be our next DLC characters.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
There was a spoof Family Guy Flash fighting game (an official Fox promotion) that had Ryu as a playable character, so he's fought all of the Griffins too!

Storywise Ryu actually gets beaten by pretty much every notable warrior he met: Ken, Akuma, Bison, Oro.

The only notable one he beat is Sagat in SF1 and that was only because he taped into the power of Evil Ryu when he was on the verge of defeat. But in SF Alpha 3, Sagat did defeat Ryu when Bison brainwashed the latter.

Don't forget he defeated Gill.
Also, I remember that Ken defeated him when he went all emo becouse of that Evil Ryu thing, Ryu gets better after and it's very often implied that he's stronger than Ken.

Nottle

wasn't it implied that he is actually rich but he has simple, modest tastes?

I'm now wondering how Araki would draw Ryu.

Ever since the Two Best friends mentioned it, I've wanted a Jojo Vs. X-men game. Why not make it StreetFighter Vs X-menXJojo's Bizarre Adventure?

The arbitrary rules that I made up is that Ryu has to go one on one with them (or tag or 3v3 whatever). Assist trophies aren't the sole combatant and just get in the way. THEY ARE GLORIFIED STAGE HAZARDS. I should add the hands though for Smash.

That makes sense, yeah.

Now add Silver Lightan under Tatsunoko. :p

MisterHero

There's also this:

10402_320.jpg
Yup this is official canon. Capcom licensed him

Forkball said:
Yes. I don't know his story but he exists. He was in the not-loved SNK vs. Capcom Chaos for PS2. I guess he is technically an SNK character since they developed that game, but he's Ken so I just shoved him in the SF section. There is also a Shadow Charlie and Shadow Lady is basically Dark Chun Li. Don't tell Sakurai any of this because those would be our next DLC characters.
Violent Ken is based on what happened to Ken in SFII the Animated Movie. His abilities may have been exaggerated a tiny bit though. :p

Top Bottom