• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEJA Press Conference (Asia Session) dated for September 16th

This really makes me wanna replay Yakuza 1 and try to continue the series since I never got to finish 2 since my copy is broken for some reason and refuses to load...

As an Asian gamer who prefers English, I'm worried about how they seen to emphasise the Chinese market. Asian localisation seems to mean mandarin localisation go them.

I know that most games are localised in English by other regions. But Asia does get some titles that aren't available in other regions. As he has said, both Japanese and western to titles appeal to gamers here.

Chinese is the biggest untapped market in Asia so far so I am not surprised they are focusing on that right now. 1 step at a time.

Edit

Oh there are also a lot of Korean translation too. Time to master either Japanese, Chinese or Korean if you don't want to feel left off lol

Guymelef

They are using the sales as metric, nothing wrong with it :p

Yakuza has sold really bad in NPD. I am sure ZhugeEX can provide numbers for them and they are terrible.

Lots of Nippon Ichi, Tecmo Koei, Marvelous, etc... games sold "bad" on NPD and games still come to western markets.

And of course, mandarin subs. I'm trilingual and all but I'm still sad about it.

Yeah. Doing an english Subtitle right from the start and not releasing it in EU and NA would be good because then we could at least import it.

But that is too much to ask from Sega.

Anko

Yeah. Doing an english Subtitle right from the start and not releasing it in EU and NA would be good because then we could at least import it.

But that is too much to ask from Sega.
I think neither region was happy when Asia localised demons souls into English first. Many imported. It just feels like it's time to move Southeast Asia out of Asia region and into NA region or something. Not that I'm not enjoying the Japanese language releases on the store. SEA is so insignificant it's ridiculous. I'm gonna go cry in a corner now.

Yakuza voices can be in Japanese and there are less text to translate than lots of Japanese niche games with English version.
Last time the sales were posted in NPD thread, they were <100k even for the mainline games. There was no digital at that time so maybe digital will give it some legs on PS4.

Sega has different expectations for the sale of the series and just because a niche developer is happy to sell 20k copies doesn't mean Sega will feel the same.

I think neither region was happy when Asia localised demons souls into English first. Many imported. It just feels like it's time to move Southeast Asia out of Asia region and into NA region or something. Not that I'm not enjoying the Japanese language releases on the store. SEA is so insignificant it's ridiculous. I'm gonna go cry in a corner now.

I know that pain. I know it too.

I cant even import the game because a localization guide will destroy my fun with the game :(

Usobuko

Banned

Our time will come.
give or take 20 years

Countries like Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines are potential markets in future.

t26

Yakuza 0 Chinese's sale met their expectation. Yakuza 4 and Dead Soul did poorly. People need to buy Yakuza 5 if they want to see more games in the future.

Anko

Our time will come.
give or take 20 years

Countries like Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines are potential markets in future.
What about s-s-singapore?

Already mature and still not worth a shit? Sigh. We're a small country after all.

Looking at the announcements (simplified Chinese! Traditional Chinese! Korean!), it makes you wonder why they are doing the conference in English.

Top Bottom