• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. 3DS : Sakurai explains why the Circle Pad Pro isn't supported

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Yes, having a character retain their old moves in a sequel to a fighting game is such a new and odd concept...And Ridley is a humanoid character...
Not unheard of but after saying they would get rid of or remove clones the end result of what we got instead was undesirable. My comment on the Final Smash comes from the fact that others did get an improved or changed (such as as Kirby and Location) Final Smash but some were just left unchanged and I wouldn't qualify as Ridley having a humanoid body with that long neck, jaw, wings and long tail.

SmokyDave

But it's a Nintendo game, and I don't think Nintendo is one to be forced into higher specs whether a competitor is successful with that route or not. It's not like Nintendo hasn't had it's share of more technically impressive handheld competitors.
I know, man. They've always gone for cheap and efficient, and it works for them. I do understand that.

Well, look on the bright side. Smartphones are gonna eat that monopoly away.

...and then we'll have game designed gimped by input methods.

I guess that's also the unbright side...
Nah, it's definitely a bright side. Powerful hardware, good dev support, controller options for those that want 'em. It's a consolation prize I'll gladly take.

ec0ec0

This is why I hate Nintendo having a dedicated handheld monopoly. Their hardware is gimped to the point where it actually affects game design.

Even with those limitations, a decent amount of their games have great game design. I would say that they are good enough at designing handheld games. And they make lots of them.

edit: have you actually played those game!?

So, shit hardware. I could have told him that.

How many 3DSs do you own now?
AwesomeFaceSmugSmall.png

SmokyDave

Even with those limitations, a decent amount of their games have great game design. I would say that they are good enough at designing handheld games. And they make lots of them.
Sure, that's true. They'd still be better with better hardware though, and they might've been able to make cross-buy and cross-play work. Not to mention the effect it would've had on the Virtual Console. Hell, they might even have been able to attract some support from western developers making 'console style' games. Sigh, what could've been.

How many 3DSs do you own now?
AwesomeFaceSmugSmall.png
Stupidfuckingghostreconioscancellationforcingmyfuckinghand:(

Seriously, I can't not have GR: Shadow Wars. It's just not an option. I only have one 3DS (XL) though, and I bought a fucking third party AC adaptor for it. That'll show 'em.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Wouldnt that defeat the purpose of a portable Smash? Just get the Wii U version.
I'd have to buy an HDTV and a Wii U and a copy of Smash and a GameCube controller adapter for that. Then I'm thousands of dollars in the hole turning tricks to play video games.

trixx

Why do people want CPP anyways. New 3ds doesn't use c+stick so its same control options across the board. Which is a pretty good thing as is.

Want control variety get Wii u version

ec0ec0

Sure, that's true. They'd still be better with better hardware though, and they might've been able to make cross-buy and cross-play work. Not to mention the effect it would've had on the Virtual Console.

If only nintendo had made the vita haha (the VC would have been... i think that i am going to cry just thinking about it)

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Why do people want CPP anyways. New 3ds doesn't use c+stick so its same control options across the board. Which is a pretty good thing as is.

Want control variety get Wii u version
No you see that's the thing were being forced to go buy the "New" 3DS if we want C Stick support and if the the normal Circle Pad is already taking damage I have to wonder how much punishment the "nub" on the "New" 3DS Model can take and outside the fact that the "nub" can't be tilted (I tilt the C Stick in SSB) I rather go nuts with an attachment that can be easily replaced instead of something that's built into the unit that can break.

-Horizon-

I cared!

Honestly, the games trophy selection is such a disappointment as it is, having one of a character I actually like removed is annoying as hell, especially if it was because of the damn ESRB.

The trophy should've had the cape/curtain censor lol.

Indiscipline

Neo Member
Nope. Probably less than 0.5% of 3DS threads (the ones pertaining to hardware limitations).

This is why I hate Nintendo having a dedicated handheld monopoly. Their hardware is gimped to the point where it actually affects game design. It's so frustrating to know how much better handheld hardware could be nowadays.

Last I checked Sony was their competition. And their superior hardware didn't exactly yield better games.

Fiktion

Banned
This is why I hate Nintendo having a dedicated handheld monopoly. Their hardware is gimped to the point where it actually affects game design. It's so frustrating to know how much better handheld hardware could be nowadays.
Another company tried a high spec dedicated handheld and look how that worked out.

SmokyDave

Last I checked Sony was their competition. And their superior hardware didn't exactly yield better games.
Another company tried a high spec dedicated handheld and look how that worked out.
Well fuck me, I hadn't figured. I can only assume you didn't read any of my other posts.

Although, I do think Nintendo could get away with things that Sony can't because Nintendo have literally every single 'big' handheld franchise locked down. If they made the Vita, it would've sold just as well as the 3DS. If Sony made the 3DS, it would've bombed like the Vita. You just can't fuck with Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Mario Kart, blah blah blah. Sadly, I have no interest in any of those but fuck me they don't half shift units.

For me, the perfect handheld would have Sony hardware and Nintendo software. In this fantasy, third parties jump on board with both feet.

Skelter

Banned
I just to know why the fuck we don't have D-pad support? Apparently the controls can be changed but only the AB/XY buttons not the Stick or D-pad.

MisterHero

Well fuck me, I hadn't figured. I can only assume you didn't read any of my other posts.

Although, I do think Nintendo could get away with things that Sony can't because Nintendo have literally every single 'big' handheld franchise locked down. If they made the Vita, it would've sold just as well as the 3DS. If Sony made the 3DS, it would've bombed like the Vita. You just can't fuck with Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Mario Kart, blah blah blah. Sadly, I have no interest in any of those but fuck me they don't half shift units.

For me, the perfect handheld would have Sony hardware and Nintendo software. In this fantasy, third parties jump on board with both feet.
Sales don't count for anything if they cost too much to produce. The 3DS launch price was insane to begin with. Vita's price also doesn't account for memory which is a big problem for a platform featuring PS+, cross buy, etc.

If mobile games are indeed a threat to 3DS, the solution isn't to make the dedicated hardware more expensive. If you want console games get a console. I almost bought a Vita but got a 500GB PS3 for the same amount of money.

I don't need one but New 3DS is a good step in letting gaming handhelds evolve without being a money sink for the manufacturer. Maybe the 4DS C-stick will be even better!

SmokyDave

Sales don't count for anything if they cost too much to produce. The 3DS launch price was insane to begin with. Vita's price also doesn't account for memory which is a big problem for a platform featuring PS+, cross buy, etc.
Hardware can still be far more powerful than the 3DS and still be reasonably priced. Just dropping BC and using up-to-date mobile tech would make all the difference in the world. Oh, and they should've put a second analogue on there from day one because it was painfully obvious that one was needed.

If mobile games are indeed a threat to 3DS, the solution isn't to make the dedicated hardware more expensive. If you want console games get a console.

I almost bought a Vita but got a 500GB PS3 for the same amount of money.
Sure, just point me to the self-contained console that I can hold in my hands and I'll get right on that.

(I already own consoles, but find handhelds far, far more convenient).

I don't need one but New 3DS is a good step in letting gaming handhelds evolve without being a money sink for the manufacturer. Maybe the 4DS C-stick will be even better!

Nope, the New 3DS is still painfully behind the curve and only exists because Nintendo lacked the foresight to design appropriate hardware in the first place. Still, they'll make a fucking killing on double-dippers and faceplate addicts so you can't really fault 'em for taking advantage.

Narroo

It did. I think what he was trying to say was that his experience using the CPP in Kid Icarus made him aware of how much CPU power it uses.

It was used as a left handed mode. Maybe that helped? (If the 2nd circle pad was just simply rigged to be indistinct from the 1st one, that could reduce processing load.

Narroo

Hardware can still be far more powerful than the 3DS and still be reasonably priced. Just dropping BC and using up-to-date mobile tech would make all the difference in the world. Oh, and they should've put a second analogue on there from day one because it was painfully obvious that one was needed.

Sure, just point me to the self-contained console that I can hold in my hands and I'll get right on that.

Nope, the New 3DS is still painfully behind the curve and only exists because Nintendo lacked the foresight to design appropriate hardware in the first place. Still, they'll make a fucking killing on double-dippers and faceplate addicts so you can't really fault 'em for taking advantage.
Backwards compatibility is important to me. I still play my large collection of DS games and my original launch DS needed to be replaced.

K-A-Deman

It could, but can it be made to the extent of big conglomorates like MS, Sony, or Apple on the coparatively tiny technological base of Nintendo and be financially feasible? And I fail to see why a second analog was needed; hell, I'm left-handed and everything's been pretty easy to adjust to. And are you seriously arguing in favor of dropping Backwards Compatibility?

If I recall correctly, you stated you have the Wii U, right?

Or, perhaps the technology wasn't to their specific standards at the time of the OG 3DS release and rather than wait more four or more years, they decided to release a better variant of the existing unit, like the DSi or Game Boy Color.

Elija2

Wait, can someone explain to me how 3 extra buttons and a Circle Pad can use up 5% of the 3DS' CPU load? That seems ridiculous to me.

And this is basically telling me that Kid Icarus, Revelations, and MonHun, the graphical showcases of the 3DS, are reserving as much as 5% of the CPU for just the CPP. I'm assuming that it's freed up when you're not using the CPP, but does that mean that those games look/run worse when using the CPP?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wait, can someone explain to me how 3 extra buttons and a Circle Pad can use up 5% of the 3DS' CPU load? That seems ridiculous to me.

And this is basically telling me that Kid Icarus, Revelations, and MonHun, the graphical showcases of the 3DS, are reserving as much as 5% of the CPU for just the CPP. I'm assuming that it's freed up when you're not using the CPP, but does that mean that those games look/run worse when using the CPP?

The Circle pad uses the 3DS's Inferred sensor to communicate between the devices. You have to constantly take time to read the IR sensor, and convert the analog signal to a digital one, and that basically takes up 5% of the CPUs power. It likely would take up a far smaller portion if it was directly wired, but its not.

Games that use it won't look worse, since the CPP is not using any of the Graphics capability, but Smash Brothers has a somewhat complex physics system that requires heavy use of the CPU.

M3d10n

The Circle pad uses the 3DS's Inferred sensor to communicate between the devices. You have to constantly take time to read the IR sensor, and convert the analog signal to a digital one, and that basically takes up 5% of the CPUs power. It likely would take up a far smaller portion if it was directly wired, but its not.

Games that use it won't look worse, since the CPP is not using any of the Graphics capability, but Smash Brothers has a somewhat complex physics system that requires heavy use of the CPU.

This. The CCP is handled entirely by the games that use it, the OS doesn't even know it exists. All you need is to look at the CCP to see that the IR port was not intended for a standard controller add-on.

Top Bottom